HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-16-2013, 10:58 AM
  #451
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I don't think any of the three were what I'd consider to be unstoppable or "good" goals.
I have yet to see you claim that a goal was unstoppable. If every goalie stopped every shot that could have been stopped, this would be an extremely low scoring league compared to what it is now.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 11:14 AM
  #452
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,007
vCash: 500
I didn't like the 1st or 3rd goal. The first I would really like for Bryz to stop. The 3rd he made the initial save but he left the rebound right in front. The thing with this is price did this multiple times at the other end (watch the condensed game on NHL.com if you don't believe me) but none of them wound up in the back of the net cause the flyers all got boxed out. no one gives it a second thought cause, you know, that stuff happens all the time. My point being Lauridsen needs to do a better job in that situation too. The 2nd goal was a broken play and while Bryz was down and made the initial save the puck went behind the net and was centered to an unmanned canadien for a point blank shot while Bryz was still down. I don't think that's his fault at all.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 11:39 AM
  #453
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
yes but strong defense creates offense. The reason why our offense is struggling so much is because we suck defensively
Why was last year an exception?

We were supposedly so terrible on D but were the second ranked team offensively in the league.

hckyplayer8 is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 11:46 AM
  #454
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,007
vCash: 500
What really sucks is that bob will be in our "conference" next season. I wish him all the best and all but I hope he jut sucks against us cause that'll make it especially tough to make the playoffs.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 11:50 AM
  #455
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,720
vCash: 500
I think the forwards inability to maintain possession and routinely maintain an offensive zone presence creates more pressure for the defense. Rather than the defensive play making offense scarce

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 12:24 PM
  #456
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I think the forwards inability to maintain possession and routinely maintain an offensive zone presence creates more pressure for the defense. Rather than the defensive play making offense scarce
It's a catch 22 though...

One of the bigger reasons we're having problems sustaining offensive pressure is the lack of calm puck-moving at the point.

Lavi's system demands that, and our defensemen can't hack it.

CS is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 12:45 PM
  #457
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,056
vCash: 500
Team is ill assembled..period!

Lavi doesn't have the personnel to implement his system to full effect but the Flyers are going to need a lot of pieces for that to happen regardless b/c the system is still pretty predictable if they face a tight checking team. Last night Montreal gave the Flyers plenty of time and space and the players and coach were all proud that they were able to implement Lavi's system but obviously it needs to be put in perspective. Montreal didn't really seem all that motivated and then unraveled with the cheap shot fest...

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 01:28 PM
  #458
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,720
vCash: 500
Agreed with both of you. It's a fairly complicated problem. Our defensive play is average, largely because of the forwards...add in unreliable goaltending and that's not a good combination. But, just as the forwards drag down the D, the D routinely drags down the offense because they can't play like Lavi needs them too...its comical to watch Luke try and skate it in like timonen, only to get trapped in the corner.

Overall though, i think the offense and goaltending have been the bigger problems than defense this year. When you combine those two with anything but amazing, lights-out defense, though, it's gonna go poorly. Middle of the pack defensive play won't compensate for low goalscoring and bad goaltending.

Edit: yes, Montreal was an outlier game. I thought they played terribly. They let G skate straight in for a quality scoring chance while the defender just retreated into the crease and did nothing to impede him, for instance. it was like watching Carle attempt to defend Crosby. Price was weak as well, his usual excellent rebound control was absent.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 01:32 PM
  #459
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Agreed with both of you. It's a fairly complicated problem. Our defensive play is average, largely because of the forwards...add in unreliable goaltending and that's not a good combination. But, just as the forwards drag down the D, the D routinely drags down the offense because they can't play like Lavi needs them too...its comical to watch Luke try and skate it in like timonen, only to get trapped in the corner.

Overall though, i think the offense and goaltending have been the bigger problems than defense this year. When you combine those two with anything but amazing, lights-out defense, though, it's gonna go poorly. Middle of the pack defensive play won't compensate for low goalscoring and bad goaltending.
We have had 25 games where we've scored 2 or less goals. And throw in inconsistent goaltending. Plus all the injuries and awful play by some defensemen this year (Coburn specifically). The list keeps going on why this season fell apart.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 01:36 PM
  #460
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,253
vCash: 500
good thing Price channeled his inner Michael Leighton last night.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 01:36 PM
  #461
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Agreed with both of you. It's a fairly complicated problem. Our defensive play is average, largely because of the forwards...add in unreliable goaltending and that's not a good combination. But, just as the forwards drag down the D, the D routinely drags down the offense because they can't play like Lavi needs them too...its comical to watch Luke try and skate it in like timonen, only to get trapped in the corner.

Overall though, i think the offense and goaltending have been the bigger problems than defense this year. When you combine those two with anything but amazing, lights-out defense, though, it's gonna go poorly. Middle of the pack defensive play won't compensate for low goalscoring and bad goaltending.

Edit: yes, Montreal was an outlier game. I thought they played terribly. They let G skate straight in for a quality scoring chance while the defender just retreated into the crease and did nothing to impede him, for instance. it was like watching Carle attempt to defend Crosby
Exactly.

We don't have Pronger anymore and Timonen is a cut just below the rock he was before. We lost Richards and Carter.

We've replaced them with Grossmann, Schenn, Schenn, and Couturier. The Schenns and Couturier will get there with patience.

Once Couturier and Schenn start really breaking out and our offense stays healthy, I'm not so concerned with our offensive numbers down the road.

Defensively, we could use some help in the circle, but hopefully those numbers will improve as well.

As for our blueline, when we get play out of Bryzgalov that is comparable to Michael Leighton, how can this blueline, particularly when ravaged by injuries, expect to bring us to the playoffs.

Our defense is solid, but not spectacular like it was before. You put our Timonen - Coburn / Pronger - Carle defense into this one, and Bryz is probably looking decent enough right now. That's not what we have though, so we need to get better play out of Bryz or spend money on defense to turn him or whoever else into a respectable goaltender.

That's why we're not where we should be.

CS is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 05:06 PM
  #462
LetsGoFlyers1825
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
@billmeltzer: Eriksson reportedly mulling several NHL offers but won't decide about future til after season. No idea if Flyers are one of teams.

https://twitter.com/billmeltzer/stat...66909346443265

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 05:32 PM
  #463
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
@billmeltzer: Eriksson reportedly mulling several NHL offers but won't decide about future til after season. No idea if Flyers are one of teams.

https://twitter.com/billmeltzer/stat...66909346443265
1. That means that he is good enough for NHL teams to be interested.
2. That means that he is at least somewhat considering the NHL.

What that means for the Flyers has yet to be seen, but I could see him getting a real shot with Philadelphia.

CS is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 05:34 PM
  #464
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
good thing Price channeled his inner Michael Leighton last night.
we need to lose games at this point. we can't do anything right this year. lose when we should win and win when we should lose. be nice to get something outta this crap year. like seth jones.

funghoul is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 05:43 PM
  #465
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,213
vCash: 500
I could see this board blowing up if Eriksson signs with another team and immediately makes a big impact.

I am hoping we try for him, since he was a draft pick for us, but not anticipating us getting him. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

Prongo is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 05:46 PM
  #466
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Well, if Homer and Snider have decided to buy out Bry this summer, which I don't think they have, I could see them signing him and running with a Mason/Eriksson tandem and then deciding who to keep after next season. Homer is just crazy enough to do that

FLYERSFAN18 is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 05:46 PM
  #467
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I could see this board blowing up if Eriksson signs with another team and immediately makes a big impact.

I am hoping we try for him, since he was a draft pick for us, but not anticipating us getting him. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.
The rage that we (based on appearances anyway) picked Hovinen over him is going to boil over if he has a successful NHL career elsewhere.


Last edited by CS: 04-16-2013 at 05:52 PM.
CS is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 05:53 PM
  #468
LetsGoFlyers1825
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
An Eriksson/Mason tandem would pretty quite interesting.

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 05:58 PM
  #469
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
An Eriksson/Mason tandem would pretty quite interesting.
If nothing else it would provide a lot of entertainment and things to talk about around here. Not that we have a hard time finding things to discuss about our goaltenders

FLYERSFAN18 is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 05:58 PM
  #470
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
An Eriksson/Mason tandem would pretty quite interesting.
If we spent Bryzgalov's money on someone like Streit on a two-year deal at 5.5m/year, I'd be okay with an Eriksson/Mason tandem.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - McGinn
Laughton - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
(Nurse) Gustafsson - Grossmann

Mason
Eriksson

A whole season of Mason cannot be that much worse than a whole season of Bryzgalov.


That said, regardless of the Eriksson rumors, we all know that Bryz gets at least one more season here.

CS is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 06:05 PM
  #471
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
The rage that we (based on appearances anyway) picked Hovinen over him is going to boil over if he has a successful NHL career elsewhere.
isnt Neil Little the guy who scouts goaltenders? I wonder if it was him to made the recommendation to Holmgren to cut ties with Sunshine.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 06:09 PM
  #472
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
isnt Neil Little the guy who scouts goaltenders? I wonder if it was him to made the recommendation to Holmgren to cut ties with Sunshine.
Going by the article someone posted recently Eriksson wasn't interested in coming over for this year. I think that may have been a reason why we went with Hovinen over him.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 06:13 PM
  #473
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Going by the article someone posted recently Eriksson wasn't interested in coming over for this year. I think that may have been a reason why we went with Hovinen over him.
They cut ties with Eriksson because the Flyers didn't like how he was progressing. At least thats what I thought remember reading. I thought that is the reason they went with Hovinen. A decision that didnt go well at all. I am just wondering who it was that recommended to Holmgren to cut ties with Eriksson.
I know there rumors he didn't want go the AHL route as a way of getting to the NHL but i think he was still young enough where you could of talked him down off that stance.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 06:44 PM
  #474
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
They cut ties with Eriksson because the Flyers didn't like how he was progressing. At least thats what I thought remember reading. I thought that is the reason they went with Hovinen. A decision that didnt go well at all. I am just wondering who it was that recommended to Holmgren to cut ties with Eriksson.
I know there rumors he didn't want go the AHL route as a way of getting to the NHL but i think he was still young enough where you could of talked him down off that stance.
Yeah you might be right. I really didn't follow that saga too much.

As for you're original question I remember reading somewhere that Little was the one that suggested Stolarz last year so I'm guessing he has some say in the goalies.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
04-16-2013, 06:50 PM
  #475
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Yeah you might be right. I really didn't follow that saga too much.

As for you're original question I remember reading somewhere that Little was the one that suggested Stolarz last year so I'm guessing he has some say in the goalies.
I remember when he was scouting Bobrovsky. (Because I retweeted it from Teemu and got on ESPN.com because of it.)

That was back when were all upset because we didn't get the Monster. Then in the yearly STH meetings Holmgren was disinterested in Gustavsson. Everyone was livid.

Little has had hits and misses.

CS is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.