HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Book Review - Messier

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2003, 02:44 AM
Edge

vCash: 500
OT: Book Review - Messier

Pretty good book with some nice insight, certainly more than they Dragon Slayer effort of a few years back.

I'll give it 4 out of 5 stars. It loses a star because it really breezes over the past 3 years {not that i was expecting grand stories} and loses some points for factual errors {such as Darren Langdon being mentioned in the 93-94 section and for the Lindros trade, Lundmark and Brendl were not a tandem in that trade}.

This is probably about as close to an biography as you'll get with messier, who is about as hard to pin down as ice with a chopstick.

Def. worth reading and for 25 bucks i can't say i regret buying it. it contains enough to make you read it again.

i would also suggest it to younger fans who aren't old enough to remember the oilers glory days.

Old
12-29-2003, 03:57 AM
JCProdigy

Does it have alot about his relationship with Gretz and his personal life or is it just purely hockey related?

Old
12-29-2003, 07:26 AM
moosemessier

i got it for xmas. cant wait to read it and i HATE reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
Does it have alot about his relationship with Gretz and his personal life or is it just purely hockey related?

Old
12-29-2003, 07:57 AM
TrueBlue4life

Send a message via AIM to TrueBlue4life
i got the book for christmas. i'm almost done with it. i freaking LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! mess is the man!

Old
12-29-2003, 01:27 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy

it's a nice balance between hockey and personal. about as personal as you're gonna get with someone like messier really.

it's not a small book either, it covers a lot of ground.

i have to admit i really enjoyed it, though it blew me away that some memories of mine were as old as they are.

Old
12-29-2003, 02:14 PM
NYR469

i got the book to although i haven't gotten a chance to read it yet...but one thing that should be noted is that i don't think the author spoke to messier about anything that was in the book. messier wasn't interviewed or anything...from what i've heard it sounds like it is pretty accurate, but if he got the info 2nd or 3rd hand that could explain some minor things that don't seem to fit...

as far as the mention of langdon goes, i don't know what context it was used but langdon played for the binghamton rangers in 93-94 so while he didn't play for the rangers that year, it is possible that he was with the team at some point.

Old
12-29-2003, 05:06 PM
Edge

you are 100% right, messier has only given his consent to one project and that was the DVD about him.

as for the quotes, they aren't "informational" mistakes so much as historical.

For example the author says that messier didnt fight much in the 93-94 season because other players were doing it for him {Graves,Kocur,Kypreos} but he mentions langdon in that group, which obviously didn't happen. Langdon didn't play his first game till the 94-95 season. it is possible he meant Danny Lacroix who got a few callups that season.

the other mistake comes when the author talks about the lindros trade and states that the rangers traded BOTH brendl and lundmark for him.

nothing too major, just sloppy.

but the book is about as close as one is gonna get considering that messier is almost at the dimaggio level when it comes to his privacy.

i have a feeling this is as close to a "biography" as you'll ever find on messier unless he has a change of heart {even then it's likely to be "spun" a little}.

Closed Thread