HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XIV - UFA talk now

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Cool Hand Luke

vCash: 500
Two things I would address this off-season:

1. Grabovski - Trade him. Hold back 1M from his salary to do so. Go out and get a young two way center with upside that can play 3rd line (Couturier for whatever we get for Grabo + Finn + 1st 2013)

2. Gunarsson - I know I'm going to get flack for this, but Dion needs a better partner. Use Gunnarsson + Colborne to get it done. Would love Shattenkirk from St. Louis.

As for the rest, re-sign Bozak at 4M for 5 years, Kadri at 5M for 6 years, and let MacArthur walk to make room for a rookie with size (Biggs/Leivo). Do not sign a starting goalie, but rather a great backup with experience (Ellis, Emery, Mason).

Ideal line-up to start next season:

Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Frattin - Couts - Biggs/Leivo
Komarov - McClement - Orr/Mclaren

Phaneuf - Shattenkirk
Gardiner - Reilly
Frason - Fraser

Reimer
Ellis

Old
04-16-2013, 11:29 AM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Good article today by Mirtle regarding resigning of Kessel and Bozak.

He claims that the rumour is Bozie is looking for something similar to what T.Rutuu got in Carolina last year (19M over 4 years).

Maybe a certain person *cough*ChuckWoods*cough* can shed some of their knowledge on the topic?

I for one would be fine if we got him for anything less than 5M per year...
I have heard that he's starting "high" which is where the $5m+ price tag is coming from.

He's using Grabovski in comparison, but Nonis is stressing that is a Burke contract and is providing Lupul as an example of why people have to take a bit less with the new CBA, especially if they want to stay with the Leafs.

I can see Bozak settling for something in the Ruutu range (4.25 to 4.75m) tho considering his desire to be here. Some people believe he deserves less because he doesn't put up a PPG, but his defensive acumen, faceoff abilities and his effort on the PK alone make him a desirable asset. He's done a fantastic job on the PK this year, which has enabled Randy Carlyle to play a tough system.

I personally wouldn't mind Tyler Bozak for something in the 4.5m range or less market considering all of the little things he does, and that sort of player is necessary to win a championship.

If Lupul can stay healthy then having a tandem of a Bozak/Kessel and Lupul/Kadri in your top 6 with big strong guys like JVR and Kulemin to compliment such lines, then I think you're in good shape moving forward.

Serious discussions have yet to begin so nobody knows really what the numbers are, but early indication is that discussions will begin above $5m.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:03 PM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
I have heard that he's starting "high" which is where the $5m+ price tag is coming from.

He's using Grabovski in comparison, but Nonis is stressing that is a Burke contract and is providing Lupul as an example of why people have to take a bit less with the new CBA, especially if they want to stay with the Leafs.

I can see Bozak settling for something in the Ruutu range (4.25 to 4.75m) tho considering his desire to be here. Some people believe he deserves less because he doesn't put up a PPG, but his defensive acumen, faceoff abilities and his effort on the PK alone make him a desirable asset. He's done a fantastic job on the PK this year, which has enabled Randy Carlyle to play a tough system.

I personally wouldn't mind Tyler Bozak for something in the 4.5m range or less market considering all of the little things he does, and that sort of player is necessary to win a championship.

If Lupul can stay healthy then having a tandem of a Bozak/Kessel and Lupul/Kadri in your top 6 with big strong guys like JVR and Kulemin to compliment such lines, then I think you're in good shape moving forward.

Serious discussions have yet to begin so nobody knows really what the numbers are, but early indication is that discussions will begin above $5m.
this feels like Deja vu of Grabo was great at 3.5 and overpaid at 5.5
Bozak is great at 1.5 and will be overpaid at 4.5

IMO it wouldn't be hard to find a player that does what Bozak does minus the offense for a lot less i.e. McClement

Get a true #1 C and get another McClement rather than overpay Bozak

Old
04-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of giving Bozak $4M or more. IMO there's really no reason he should be making significantly more than a guy like Chris Kelly.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:47 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

I'd hate to see Bozak get more than 4m almost as much as I loathe Grabo getting the albatross he's getting

Old
04-16-2013, 12:54 PM
416Leafer

Rozsival could be a decent free agent pick up. Fairly well rounded RH veteran defenceman, better on the defensive side of the puck then the offensive side, and he brings some size as well.

Granted, we would probably need to move a body or two to make it happen. Blueline already looks crowded next year with Rielly potentially pushing for a spot. But I do think we need an upgrade in the top 4, specifically a RH defence first guy.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:35 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

RHD should definitely be a priority through UFA, even just depth. I'm not convinced of ROB and I think Gunnar is vastly overrated and overused.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:49 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
RHD should definitely be a priority through UFA, even just depth. I'm not convinced of ROB and I think Gunnar is vastly overrated and overused.
While I agree with the need for RHD, I don't think we will be finding it through free agency. If we want to get a depth guy sure but we have enough of them. We really need to be after a top four RHD, probably have to be through trade, that can play behind Phaneuf (who can clearly play on the right side).

On the Gunnarson front I agree he is overused and overrated, we just really dont have anyone else that can play decently with Phaneuf, Gardiner is not there yet. Even when Gardiner is at that level, I would prefer he has his own pairing with a decent partner (that RHD that I was talking about earlier).

Something like this is what Im talking about:

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gardiner-XXXX
Fraser-Franson
Holzer, Blacker, Ranger could provide the 7th guy.

as for who that XXXX would be, I'd aim for someone with experience that can play solid D but also eat up minutes. Someone like Girardi, Bieska, Robidas, Morris, Michalek.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:10 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

I'd take him for 4.5m

Not a whole lot of options out there.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:20 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of giving Bozak $4M or more. IMO there's really no reason he should be making significantly more than a guy like Chris Kelly.
His agent will say there's really no reason he should be making significantly less than Grabo.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:21 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Two things I would address this off-season:

1. Grabovski - Trade him. Hold back 1M from his salary to do so. Go out and get a young two way center with upside that can play 3rd line (Couturier for whatever we get for Grabo + Finn + 1st 2013)
I can't see the Flyers wanting Grabo even if we retain some of his salary. They have Giroux and Schenn as top 2 Cs and Laughton projects as a good 3rd line C for them.

Something around Gards and Couts seems more likely to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
2. Gunarsson - I know I'm going to get flack for this, but Dion needs a better partner. Use Gunnarsson + Colborne to get it done. Would love Shattenkirk from St. Louis.
That should get a better dman, but it won't get us Shattenkirk. I'd love to have him too, but the Blues would be stupid to give him up unless they are getting a top line forward.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:29 PM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I'd take him for 4.5m

Not a whole lot of options out there.
that's not a reason to overpay. things can change

see Grabo

Old
04-16-2013, 03:35 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

I really like Bozak and he's doing a lot of good things for our team succes. I hope we keep him, but I'd like at 4M or less per year. Over that it's an overpayment IMO.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:54 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
that's not a reason to overpay. things can change

see Grabo
Thats right, they can. Grabo could rebound and be worth every penny next season.

And its reason enough if it means risking a big step backward. See New Jersey.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:

4.5 million for Bozak is crazy. If he gets that much with term the Leafs will be saddled with a contract like the Leino or Horcoff contracts for guys who apparently brought decent scoring with intagibles.

Bozak deserves Chris Kelly or Matt Cullen type money in the 3 to 3.5 (very max) range.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:00 PM
The Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
4.5 million for Bozak is crazy. If he gets that much with term the Leafs will be saddled with a contract like the Leino or Horcoff contracts for guys who apparently brought decent scoring with intagibles.

Bozak deserves Chris Kelly or Matt Cullen type money in the 3 to 3.5 (very max) range.
Agreed, we need to buy out/trade but not retain grabbo in a bad bad way, we will right where we were before Burke came in- over paid middling forwards. If Bozie wants a nickel over $3.5 he gone. I'd rather overpay Derek Roy like we did with tampon Tim than over pay Bozie and roll him & grabbo again.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:17 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

I'd say 3-4 mill for bozak. He plays on the first line and I don't think that will change until kadri gets moved into that spot. And who knows if he will have chemistry with kessel. Plus bozak plays on the pp, pk and he's one of the league's top f/o guys. His agent prolly won't settle for less. And I don't think he should get less than 3.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:25 PM
Budsfan

TSN Radio ‏@TSN1050Radio 1m
@DarrenDreger - David Clarkson is more of what you need in the bigger picture than Bozak

TSN Radio ‏@TSN1050Radio 3m
@DarrenDreger - I am told that Bozak will command better than 5 (million)

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 1m
Pretty incredible. I've heard a Ruutu-like deal. RT @TSN1050Radio: @DarrenDreger - I am told that Bozak will command better than $5-million

Old
04-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
@DarrenDreger - David Clarkson is more of what you need in the bigger picture than Bozak

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 1m
Pretty incredible. I've heard a Ruutu-like deal. RT @TSN1050Radio: @DarrenDreger - I am told that Bozak will command better than $5-million
If and only if we see Colborne taking over.

04-16-2013, 05:42 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:

Interesting how Dregger and Mirtle tweeted and reported this very same thing hours after you posted this. You may have some stalkers.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Upwards of 5 million. Hahahaha. Brilliant idea, especially with Kadri up for a new deal. Overpaying Grabovski has worked out so well, hasn't it?

Old
04-16-2013, 05:56 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Interesting how Dregger and Mirtle tweeted and reported this very same thing hours after you posted this. You may have some stalkers.
Maybe Chuck is Dregger?

Old
04-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
I can't remember. is Nonis an INTERIM. of a full fledged GM? (just for knowledge sake).

but i really have to think that someone in MLSE land is thinking:

4 years from now, the Leafs will be 100 - and it will be 50 calendar years since 1967.

I'm going to assume that their first priority is making sure that our core of players (Phaneuf, Reimer, Kadri, Kessel, (Bozak?)) are locked up and built around that. and most contracts will have to have 2017 in mind, right? Poor UFA class or not.

I'm going to assume we're going to go hard for Clarkson.
Do we let McArthur go?
Full fledged

Old
04-16-2013, 06:04 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 1m
Chuck, you have some lurkers.....lol

Old
04-16-2013, 06:07 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

4m is as high as I would go.

5 and beyond is simply too much.

Closed Thread