HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Game #42: Sharks at Coyotes | 7pm on CSNCA | April 15th, 2013

Old
04-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Phu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
What the heck is up with Thornton? It's like he has turned into Clowe. He has kept up with the usual turnovers trying to make a fancy play, but he doesn't seem to be doing the other things that make him great - puck possession, seeing eye passes, strong back checking, etc.
He actually did all of these things quite well last night when the game was in question. The thing that blew my mind was on three separate occasions he carried into the zone and dangled guys in the way in. I think this is an underrated part of Thornton's game because it usually happens right next to the boards and we can't see it too well, but he can stickhandle really well, especially considering the length of his stick (twss!)

Quote:
The "By the Numbers article" on FTF for the game last night indicates Thornton's line was outchanced whereas Couture's and Pavelski's lines were not. Thornton doesn't have the quality of supporting cast that Couture does and is presumably playing harder minutes than Pavelski is, but he just seems to be underperforming (at least compared to prior in the season) to my eye.
I'd say mostly score effects here. He did fine corsiwise even with the score effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateseed View Post
Thornton outright refuses to pick up a man who doesn't have the puck on the back-check. Even when the D clearly signal who they want him to take off the puck he skates directly to the puck carrier leaving 1 or even 2 men uncovered skating to the net. It's been glaringly bad, and has resulted in at least one goal over the last few games but only pucks bouncing over the open man's stick several times has kept that number down. They always praise his back-check, and it is good when he can chase the puck carrier down from behind, but in terms of covering an odd, or even man rush, he has been atrociously bad.
Well when a rook who routinely makes poor defensive reads is doing the direction, I think Thornton can be forgiven for sticking to his responsibilities within the system. Is it leadership for Thornton to refuse to allow the system to break down on his play? I think they have been guilty of letting the system get away from them and ending up chasing badly in their own zone, so I wonder if Thornton's adherence to defensive structure is a response to that, perhaps reinforced by coaching?

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:36 PM
hockeyball

Did none of the reports actually talk to Burish or Larson and ask wtf? How can that not have happened...

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Mattb124

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
He actually did all of these things quite well last night when the game was in question. The thing that blew my mind was on three separate occasions he carried into the zone and dangled guys in the way in. I think this is an underrated part of Thornton's game because it usually happens right next to the boards and we can't see it too well, but he can stickhandle really well, especially considering the length of his stick (twss!)
On the one dangle I remember he came down the right side, played the puck through the legs of a Phoenix player, recovered the puck, turned back and then puked up the puck to the Coyotes feeding a rush the other way. That is part of what I am talking about. To my eye he seems less noticable for the right reasons (godly passes, take-aways, strong possession) since shortly after Burns got moved to his line and probably just as noticable for the wrong reasons as during the first 1/2 of the season (giveaways: 2 last night with 0 takeaways per the NHL Box Score). I do applaud him for shooting the puck more.

Last edited by Mattb124: 04-16-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Mattb124 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:50 PM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 182
Sorry, I didn't read the GDT... was this discussed at all last night?

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Phu

Quote:
On the one dangle I remember he came down the right side, played the puck through the legs of a Phoenix player, recovered the puck, turned back and then puked up the puck to the Coyotes feeding a rush the other way. That is part of what I am talking about. To my eye he seems less noticable for the right reasons (godly passes, take-aways, strong possession) since shortly after Burns got moved to his line and probably just as noticable for the wrong reasons as during the first 1/2 of the season (giveaways: 2 last night with 0 takeaways per the NHL Box Score). I do applaud him for shooting the puck more.
I saw that. The puck got checked off his stick because his other players did not get open quickly enough. Given that he had just done something he pretty much never does, I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt on that one and say it was just an unexpected play. That said, Jumbo has always had a lot of turovers because of how he plays, so I don't see why it's suddenly surprising. He doesn't have Pavelski and Marleau on his wings right now so that line isn't going to be quite as devastating as it has been.

One thing I do notice is that, purposely or not, players on that line aren't forcing pucks to him as much as they have in the past. They will make relatively safe, effective plays on their own rather than try to feed it to Jumbo further away. That's probably taking some getting used to.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:20 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Sorry, I didn't read the GDT... was this discussed at all last night?

Yeah, we talked about Raffi Torres not having eyebrows.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:20 PM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

it was good to see them play such a good 2nd period. Very fun game to attend last night.

tattooedsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:56 PM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

Was also nice to run into some very cool fellow Sharks fans last night!

tattooedsean is offline   Reply With Quote