HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bozak commanding over 5 million

Old
04-16-2013, 06:54 PM
tikkanen5rings*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellstrŲm View Post
If a Ville Leino gets 4.5, then ... someone will bite.
Leino was playing injured. He has looked like a 4.5 player after the surgery.

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:55 PM
StringerBell

Hope he enjoys Calgary/Buffalo.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
someone will bite. What else is out there? Saku Koivu/Matt Cullen/Patrick Elias, while still effective, are old.

teams looking for a #2 will bid on Bozak, Roy, and Ribiero. And they'll all get around 5M.

as for who is going to do it? Look to winnipeg, where antropov has been disappointing and jokinen is not a legit 2nd liner anymore. Bozak and Little gives them two top-six faceoff studs. Roy and Ribiero, on the other hand, are terrible at faceoffs.
Those 2 players are better than Bozak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
Wow I didn`t know third liners made 5 million a year these days
Grabovski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
It's going to sting but I honestly don't mind if the Leafs pay him 5M and get rid of Grabovski then. Their salaries are then essentially a wash....Grabo is just not getting any ice time under Carlyle.

IMO if you take everything into account:

-Skill
-Faceoffs
-defensive play
-ES/PP/PK player

Bozak is the best center on the market. Weiss is good but he's not an all round player.
Roy and Riberio are better. Aswell the argument could be made for Elias.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:56 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaylock38 View Post
bozak is not just along for the ride, he has great chemistry with Phil and it looks like he JVR are starting to click also. He is without question the Leafs number#1 centre, he doesn't just get points because of who he plays with, he does make things happen.

If he had a larger sample size he might be worth the dollar amount, for me it is not enough, but hey I don't have to decide to pay him.

I have no problem if he gets 5 mil for everything that he can do, but I don't think it is smart to have he, grabo, and kadri (very soon) getting 5 mil, when Jay McClement is the 3rd line centre and Grabo is lost in the shuffle.

very underrated skill-set, trusted and used in all situations, what else does he need to do??
Of course not.

But Randy Carlyle is the coach of this team. It's become painfully obvious that he feels he can be more successful with Tyler Bozak on the ice than Mikhail Grabovski... so Bozak really doesn't become the odd man out until he demands an amount that is a large enough more than Grabovski to make Grabo more valuable to us.

So really, what sounds like the best option?
- Sign Tyler Bozak for $5m, and trade Mikhail Grabovski.
- Let Bozak walk, keep Mikhail Grabovski for $5.5m, and drastically hurt your chances of keeping Kessel.
- Sign one of Ribeiro/Roy/Weiss for a similar amount to Bozak, trade Grabovski, and hurt your chances of keeping Kessel.
- Let Bozak walk, trade for a new centre.

I don't know about you, but to me, the best alternative sounds like #1, which means Bozak's worth $5m to us.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Top 6 Spaling

On a one or two year deal with no better options, I'd take him for 4-4.5 on the Preds. Just empty cap space otherwise.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:57 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeger View Post
How are the Isles for centres?
Not looking to pay Bozak Tavares type money.

Tavares
Frans Nielsen
Aucoin
Cizikas
Strome
Brock Nielsen

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:58 PM
vanwest

If you sign Tyler Bozak for $5 million I can just imagine all of the other Leaf players licking their chops. This will have huge ramifications for the salary structure of the Leafs going forward if they bite on this.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

Tavares
Frans Nielsen
Aucoin
Cizikas
Strome
Brock Nielsen
Aucoin is a UFA this summer. So he could leave. Still not really any sense in moving others to fit Bozak in. Islanders would probably be better off sticking with what they've got in terms of C.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

Tavares
Frans Nielsen
Aucoin
Cizikas
Strome
Brock Nielsen
You guys got such a great deal on Tavares. He is worth way more. That was a steal of a contract.

Although we got great deals on Henrik, Kesler and more. So I'm not jealous.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Ridiculous.

I've always been one to downplay the high salaries of NHL players - like the Getzlaf contract. I thought that was a fair contract.

But, this?

For real?

Bozak had a career high of 47 points last year, playing on a line with TWO PPG wingers. Even the worst linemeate products produce higher than that. I realize that he can PK and win faceoffs, but Bozak isn't a viable top line center. He's a decent 2nd liner, and a great 3rd liner. His play is carried by his teammates. He fits in well with the Leafs. I think it'd be moronic of him to leave Toronto, as I think his play will suffer greatly.
You're looking at it the wrong way. See Bozak is so good the other teams have to focus on him solely which lets his wingers pile up the points

FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Deen

vCash: 50
Bozak doesn't "deserve" more than 2 million. That's even a bit of a stretch. Look at the Glencross contract and then look at Bozak's numbers in comparison. Dreger has been sniffing glue if he thinks Bozak will "Command" anything over 3 million.

Deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:01 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
joke thread right?

right............???

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:01 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Starting point in his contract talk. Hes not going to start low and hope the Leafs offer him more (they only do that to Jeff Finger)

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post

There is a huge different between a number one by default (which Bozak is) and a true #1 center
How about a young centre who has emerged from Prospect to top 6 NHL forward, and now looks to be making the jump into the top role. Its called development, and considering that where he has played and in what city, and to see his number increase year by year.

those aren't 3rd line centre numbers.

Last edited by Nuckles: 04-17-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: editted quote
Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Hope he enjoys Calgary/Buffalo.
Buffalo is not paying him $5M and has no need for him.

They have Hodgson( an RFA after the season they need to sign), Grigorenko and either Girgensons or Larsson as their 3rd line Center (the other playing on the wing).

in the draft where ever they end up they could be drafting another Center which means one of these guys could be moved to wing or traded for a winger.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:03 PM
blankall

Please keep Feaster away from this.

blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:05 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Actually. It does. A first line centre is a centre who plays centre his team's top line.

Now, you could make the case that Bozak isn't the guy you'd want on the first line, or be satisfied with on the first line, and I'd agree with you to the point of realizing that he's our best option for that role. However, suggesting that he isn't a viable first line centre is flat out wrong. He's Toronto's 1st line centre, and Toronto is a pretty good team with a top 5 offence.

Yeah.

Bozak is an outlier of that group. He's excellent on the draws, not undersized, 2 years younger than Roy and 6 years younger than Ribeiro.
This begs the argument, is Evgeni Malkin considered a second line center?

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Of course not.

But Randy Carlyle is the coach of this team. It's become painfully obvious that he feels he can be more successful with Tyler Bozak on the ice than Mikhail Grabovski... so Bozak really doesn't become the odd man out until he demands an amount that is a large enough more than Grabovski to make Grabo more valuable to us.

So really, what sounds like the best option?
- Sign Tyler Bozak for $5m, and trade Mikhail Grabovski.
- Let Bozak walk, keep Mikhail Grabovski for $5.5m, and drastically hurt your chances of keeping Kessel.
- Sign one of Ribeiro/Roy/Weiss for a similar amount to Bozak, trade Grabovski, and hurt your chances of keeping Kessel.
- Let Bozak walk, trade for a new centre.

I don't know about you, but to me, the best alternative sounds like #1, which means Bozak's worth $5m to us.

Exaclty which is what I said multiple times already, Bozak can get 5 but at the expense of Grabo. Which I am fine with, Bozak #1A, Kadri #1B, McClement #3. I have no probems with that. Just can't have both.

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Aucoin is a UFA this summer. So he could leave. Still not really any sense in moving others to fit Bozak in. Islanders would probably be better off sticking with what they've got in terms of C.

Between Snow's comments and a recent article from Newsday, I expect the isles to open next season with several of the Bridgeport prospects on their roster.
I don't see the isles trading for or signing a 2nd line center. Frans Nielsen imo will hold that spot, until one of the youngsters pushes him down the depth chart.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
This begs the argument, is Evgeni Malkin considered a second line center?
Yes. Evgeni Malkin is his team's 2nd line centre.

Is he a guy that many teams would be happy with on their 1st line? Sure.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
someone will bite. What else is out there? Saku Koivu/Matt Cullen/Patrick Elias, while still effective, are old.

teams looking for a #2 will bid on Bozak, Roy, and Ribiero. And they'll all get around 5M.

as for who is going to do it? Look to winnipeg, where antropov has been disappointing and jokinen is not a legit 2nd liner anymore. Bozak and Little gives them two top-six faceoff studs. Roy and Ribiero, on the other hand, are terrible at faceoffs.
Weiss, Roy, Ribiero are all better top 6 options. Not as good in the circle, but better offensively. I'd take any one of them at 6m, than Bozak at 5m.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:08 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Starting point in his contract talk. Hes not going to start low and hope the Leafs offer him more (they only do that to Jeff Finger)
Exactly. It's all the game that gets played. Bozak camp asks for $5.0 a year. Leafs say no and say they were thinking more around $4.0 a year. Settle at $4.5 and move on.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:09 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Yes. Evgeni Malkin is his team's 2nd line centre.

Is he a guy that many teams would be happy with on their 1st line? Sure.
29 other teams. Only on Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh alone is he a number two.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:10 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
Wow I didn`t know third liners made 5 million a year these days
If a backup goalie can make 5.3, anything is possible I suppose.

TOGuy14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Ridiculous.

I've always been one to downplay the high salaries of NHL players - like the Getzlaf contract. I thought that was a fair contract.

But, this?

For real?

Bozak had a career high of 47 points last year, playing on a line with TWO PPG wingers. Even the worst linemeate products produce higher than that. I realize that he can PK and win faceoffs, but Bozak isn't a viable top line center. He's a decent 2nd liner, and a great 3rd liner. His play is carried by his teammates. He fits in well with the Leafs. I think it'd be moronic of him to leave Toronto, as I think his play will suffer greatly.
In a nutshell. He isn't anyone's first choice as 1st line center, ever.

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote