HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
I would stay away from anyone who needs help with there skating. It's such a huge risk.
Hey lighten up buddy! Live a little, risks are fun!

Old
04-16-2013, 04:09 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO NUFF View Post
Heard a TSN podcast last week with Craig Button and Matt Cade. Button listed his tiers as -

1 - Jones
2 - Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichuskin
3 - Nurse, Monahan, Lindholm
4 - Everyone between #9 - #21
this is pretty much what most people have been saying, there is a big drop-off after the 8th overall pick... the next best player after the 8th pick could be picked 25th and it wouldn't surprise most people

Old
04-16-2013, 04:14 PM
oilerfan17

This draft really is almost perfect for the Oilers.

Only one winger in the top-8, and it's extremely unlikely he'll last past #4. Monahan, Nurse, and Lindholm all playing two-way games at positions of weakness. Even if they win the lottery, Jones at #1 addresses a big area of weakness.

The only thing that waits is getting into that top-8, which means a bottom-7 finish– make sure no one wins the lottery and knocks you out.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:54 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
This draft really is almost perfect for the Oilers.

Only one winger in the top-8, and it's extremely unlikely he'll last past #4. Monahan, Nurse, and Lindholm all playing two-way games at positions of weakness. Even if they win the lottery, Jones at #1 addresses a big area of weakness.

The only thing that waits is getting into that top-8, which means a bottom-7 finish– make sure no one wins the lottery and knocks you out.
To be honest, I have to admit at this point I am kinda hoping for the kids to play well and for us to lose. I was fully on the "try to win every game" bandwagon before, but now with being even *close* to the playoffs out of the question AND the situation where there is a huge drop-off after the 8th pick, I'm leaning towards wanting to lose games again. It sucks, but finishing in the bottom 8 will guarantee a good player if we keep the pick or will greatly increase the picks trade value if we trade it. Going 5-2 in the last 7 games, and finishing with the 11th overall pick, doesn't do the team any good at all long term.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:56 PM
SterlingArcher

Quote:
I would stay away from anyone who needs help with there skating. It's such a huge risk.
Didn't ganger have issues with his skating? I know that Eberle and Lander had issues and they have improved vastly. I believe Barkov has slight issues with his skating but with the way they have I proved our players in the past I don't see it as a big problem, unless it is something compared to a Ryan Smyth then you stay away.

My top is after the big three
Barkov
Monahan
Nurse
Ristolainen
Lindolhm
Zadorov

Left out the Russian winger just because of his two years away thing. He would probably slot in under nurse though or ahead

Old
04-16-2013, 05:02 PM
blupye

Why does everyone want Monahan? I was at the prospects game in Halifax and I was not impressed. I feel it is time to trade the pick along with Hemsky and get some size. The guy I would target is Bo Horvat from London Knights. Size, speed, and toughness

Old
04-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
That was how Barry Fraser decided who to draft during the bad old days. The exact reason we ended up with guys like Steve Kelly, Jason Bonsignore and Boyd Devereaux with our top 10 picks. "Who's the fastest kid in the draft?", he'd say over the phone, poolside, from Acapulco. "Steve Kelly, but Barry, Shane Doan and Iginla are.." "Nevermind, we'll take Kelly!".

Skating has to be there, but skill, hockey sense and desire count for a lot. You can work on skating. As long as its not fundamentally flawed.

Old
04-16-2013, 06:15 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupye View Post
Why does everyone want Monahan? I was at the prospects game in Halifax and I was not impressed. I feel it is time to trade the pick along with Hemsky and get some size. The guy I would target is Bo Horvat from London Knights. Size, speed, and toughness
First it's one game. Second, the dmen outshone the forwards in that game. Third, Monahan isn't flashy. He will not impress in the way Hall or Yak will. He plays a simple game and if you first watch him you are sort of disappointed. The more you watch him the more you appreciate him and realize how smart he is. After a while you start loving his game.

If we were to pick him, I have no doubt lots of Oiler fans will jump to conclusions and say it was a bad pick. I'm also sure that by game 30 Oiler fans will start to love Monahan. By end of the year he would be an untouchable. If we made the playoffs next year people will be debating if he is better than Nuge (I don't think so but others may).

Nuge is decent example. I think he is the most talented Oiler (well maybe Yak). Most fans I'm assuming would say Hall (and Yak). The Nuge though makes such underrated plays. His defensive work is really good. Even his dump in plays are so excellent. Yet lots probably don't pay attention to those facets (and I don't blame them). I think give Nuge some more time to gain some size and strength and look out. I think he will be absolutely scary by 23-25.

Monahan and Nuge aren't flashy ( Nuge can be at times) but they are extremely skilled and their hockey sense is through the roof. When you combine hockey sense and skill it's only a matter of time before they become really good players. But that is just my opinion

Last edited by doubledown99: 04-16-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old
04-16-2013, 06:31 PM
SHO NUFF*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
First it's one game. Second, the dmen outshone the forwards in that game. Third, Monahan isn't flashy. He will not impress in the way Hall or Yak will. He plays a simple game and if you first watch him you are sort of disappointed. The more you watch him the more you appreciate him and realize how smart he is. After a while you start loving his game.

If we were to pick him, I have no doubt lots of Oiler fans will jump to conclusions and say it was a bad pick. I'm also sure that by game 30 Oiler fans will start to love Monahan. By end of the year he would be an untouchable. If we made the playoffs next year people will be debating if he is better than Nuge (I don't think so but others may).

Nuge is decent example. I think he is the most talented Oiler (well maybe Yak). Most fans I'm assuming would say Hall (and Yak). The Nuge though makes such underrated plays. His defensive work is really good. Even his dump in plays are so excellent. Yet lots probably don't pay attention to those facets (and I don't blame them). I think give Nuge some more time to gain some size and strength and look out. I think he will be absolutely scary by 23-25.

Monahan and Nuge aren't flashy ( Nuge can be at times) but they are extremely skilled and their hockey sense is through the roof. When you combine hockey sense and skill it's only a matter of time before they become really good players. But that is just my opinion
I think most Oilers fans would totally embrace a Monahan selection. Look at the poll results, not many would interpret Monahan as being a bad choice. I also think we're going to end up in good position to have a shot at this guy. If we can get to #6, I think he's an Oiler in June.

Old
04-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Oilers4life1987

I sure hope Monahan is our guy even if he plays # 3 C until he can adjust ill be fine with that.

Old
04-16-2013, 06:53 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Here's a mock draft from NHL numbers... based on their weighted consensus draft rankings from 7 sources including Bob McKenzie... and also based on where they see each team finishing in the standings(based on their proprietary algorithm):

http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/4/14/2013...non-seth-jones

1 Florida Seth Jones
2 Colorado Nathan MacKinnon
3 Calgary Jonathan Drouin
4 Carolina Aleksander Barkov
5 Tampa Bay Valeri Nichushkin
6 Nashville Elias Lindholm
7 Philadelphia Sean Monahan
8 Buffalo Darnell Nurse
9 Edmonton Hunter Shinkaruk
10 Winnipeg Rasmus Ristolainen
11 New Jersey Nikita Zadorov
12 Phoenix Ryan Pulock
13 Columbus Adam Erne
14 Dallas Josh Morrissey
15 Detroit Max Domi
16 NY Islanders Curtis Lazar
17 Columbus Anthony Mantha
18 Buffalo Frederik Gauthier
19 Ottawa Bo Horvat
20 San Jose Alexander Wennberg
21 Calgary Kerby Rychel
22 Toronto Robert Hagg
23 Columbus Andre Burakovsky
24 Boston Artturi Lehkonen
25 Washington Jason Dickinson
26 Vancouver Morgan Klimchuk
27 Anaheim Steve Santini
28 Montreal Valentin Zykov
29 Calgary J.T. Compher
30 Chicago Ryan Hartman

I don't know about you all... but that looks like a "worst case scenario" to me.

Not only picking 9th and missing out on all of the "BIG 8"... but then not picking any of the next tier of dmen... Pulock/Ristolainen/Zadorov/Morrissey.

Picking Shinkaruk at #9... even if he is BPA at that point, doesn't get me very excited. I'd rather have them go "off the board" at that point and just pick Lazar instead if they were going to pick a smallish (yet talented winger).

Again, I REALLY want the Oilers to pick in the top 8.... and ideally top 7 because that really opens up the options. "Falling" to #9 or #10 puts them in a slightly lower tier although I certainly wouldn't mind Pulock or Ristolainen in Oilers silks.
As of today we are picking 8th so we would at least get Nurse, do you think PHI would take Nurse knowing that they are so deep at centre but have no dmen.

Old
04-16-2013, 07:29 PM
blupye

Quote:

I am not doubting Monahan, I just checked his stats and he has great numbers and size. I just did not get to see many OHL games on TV here in Nova Scotia. I saw Horvat and was quite impressed. The game I saw in Halifax was not very offensive. MacKinnon and Drouin together are unreal. They were the only excitement. If I were Calgary, I would pull off the Sedin draft that Burke did. They do have (3) 1st round picks

Old
04-16-2013, 07:40 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
That was how Barry Fraser decided who to draft during the bad old days. The exact reason we ended up with guys like Steve Kelly, Jason Bonsignore and Boyd Devereaux with our top 10 picks. "Who's the fastest kid in the draft?", he'd say over the phone, poolside, from Acapulco. "Steve Kelly, but Barry, Shane Doan and Iginla are.." "Nevermind, we'll take Kelly!".

Skating has to be there, but skill, hockey sense and desire count for a lot. You can work on skating. As long as its not fundamentally flawed.
Or later with Lowe selecting Jesse Niinimaki..I remember tsn just saying "this kid can flatout fly!" no kidding, he ran down to get his jersey and flew to europe never to be seen in oil silks again lol

Putting up pretty decent numbers in Euro the past few years..but so is Omark.

Old
04-16-2013, 07:54 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupye View Post
First, Horvat isn't big. He's listed at 6'0 IIRC, which is only an inch taller than Gagner. Not ideal for the Oil.

Second, Monahan isn't the kind of guy that impresses in an all-star game. He's not flashy, but a consistent, 2-way player who does little things like steadily winning draws. He's also 6'2 and plays a power forward's game from all accounts.

A Nuge-Monahan 1-2 punch down the middle is a dream come true. Both deliver good offense, take care of their own end, and make everyone around them better.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:03 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
First, Horvat isn't big. He's listed at 6'0 IIRC, which is only an inch taller than Gagner. Not ideal for the Oil.

Second, Monahan isn't the kind of guy that impresses in an all-star game. He's not flashy, but a consistent, 2-way player who does little things like steadily winning draws. He's also 6'2 and plays a power forward's game from all accounts.

A Nuge-Monahan 1-2 punch down the middle is a dream come true. Both deliver good offense, take care of their own end, and make everyone around them better.
Horvat plays a completely different game than Gagner. He's extremely strong on his skates. Couture is 6 feet, O'Reilly is 6 feet. You're talking about the same kind of player here, I have no problem saying or predicting that. Horvat plays a full complete centre game that is hard as hell on the puck "from all accounts." Discounting him because he is 6' might be the biggest mistake you can make.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:07 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
I sure hope Monahan is our guy even if he plays # 3 C until he can adjust ill be fine with that.
"Even if he plays #3C"???? What type of expectations do you have for these prospects honestly. That might be all he turns into, like a Martin Hanzal type. And even then it's probably not a bad pick. You're talking about prospects here. Couturier is one of the most defensively advanced prospects to come around in the last decade and as a late birthday he played 4th line minutes in Philadelphia in his rookie year and still is for the most part this year. Expecting 18 year olds to jump in and play 3rd line center is a ridiculous expectation. If he does do it, it's very nice to have, it would be a huge plus and an exceptional case, no way you should be expecting it and preparing for your season with such an expectation.

If you're a true playoff team, you're going to be breaking a guy like that in on the wing. To be prepared to play centre in the NHL takes years usually, people don't understand what a massive responsibility it is. Seguin, Colin Wilson and Brayden Schenn all don't even take regular shifts on centre yet. It's 4 years after Kadri got drafted and he's just taking regular shifts on centre now, it's Hodgson's first year playing true center minutes that aren't sheltered as hell. The best of the best prospects take years to learn the ins and outs of the position typically and there are lots of mistakes to be made along the way usually.

Last edited by puckfan13: 04-16-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old
04-16-2013, 09:12 PM
rockinghockey

If we have a chance to get Monahan we don't trade that pick away. I know he will take a few years but in 3 yrs our 1-2C will be in tops of the leauge. Lets not get too crazy with trades. If we are getting Nurse I would trade the pick away because dmen take so long until they can contribute. I think a team like PHI would love to get Nurse.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:29 PM
rockinghockey

PHI won tonight as of now they are ahead of his and we are in 7th. What do you guys think, we are now in Monahan territory.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:38 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Monahan in East Conf OHL poll:

2nd behind Strome for smartest player & best playmaker.

3rd for stickhandling, 3rd for best FOs behind Jenner & Scheifele.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...es-poll/140462

Old
04-16-2013, 09:55 PM
rockinghockey

I think Monahan will be the perfect 2C, if we keep losing the way we are tonight we will end up in the top 6.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:13 PM
oStealthKiller

Would monohan + hemsky get us up to 4th for barkov? I think barkov will be the next kopitar

Old
04-16-2013, 11:50 PM
DrDrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Monahan in East Conf OHL poll:

2nd behind Strome for smartest player & best playmaker.

3rd for stickhandling, 3rd for best FOs behind Jenner & Scheifele.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...es-poll/140462
zach bell seems like an interesting player for a later round pick...best body checker, best shot blocker, 2nd best pker....6'2" 228lbs

Old
04-17-2013, 03:07 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
I hope we win the lottery and then trade Jones to PHX for OEL (thy would save almost $6 million and might generate 1k - 2k more fans per game which will equal several million more for cash strapped team).

Or to Stl for Pie (they have lots of players to sign and are budget team) or to Nsh for Weber (Jones would be marketing dream for them).

That is what I am hoping for
Calgary will win the lottery.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:06 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
zach bell seems like an interesting player for a later round pick...best body checker, best shot blocker, 2nd best pker....6'2" 228lbs
I just looked him up on hockeydb, I guess he's a 20 year old kid, but why not? He'd make our farm team harder to play against although we might have Teubert and Bigos raising hell down there already next season.

04-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
If we lose against the Avs, they will only be 2 pts behind us. There is a pretty good possibility that we could finish bottom 3. If that's the case, i'm picking Mackinnon.

Closed Thread