HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bozak commanding over 5 million

Old
04-16-2013, 06:12 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Weiss, Roy, Ribiero are all better top 6 options. Not as good in the circle, but better offensively. I'd take any one of them at 6m, than Bozak at 5m.
Weiss you might have a case for, at even-up salary when you consider the injury.

Roy & Ribeiro would be substantially less valuable to us than Bozak, and are just asking for problems. The last thing that Phil Kessel needs on his line is a centre smaller than Tyler Bozak who's weak on the draws and nothing special defensively. We've already got Nazem Kadri.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Ishdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Weiss you might have a case for, at even-up salary when you consider the injury.

Roy & Ribeiro would be substantially less valuable to us than Bozak, and are just asking for problems. The last thing that Phil Kessel needs on his line is a centre smaller than Tyler Bozak who's weak on the draws and nothing special defensively. We've already got Nazem Kadri.
Tyler Bozak is not a good defensive player, Mr. Linden

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:14 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

I don't see it at all.

Bozak is a 15-20G, 40-50 points player playing with one of the best young big forwards and one of the best snipers in the league between him. The Leafs' PK prowess rests on McClement, not Bozak. And with Komarov being remarkable on the circle whenever he's taken faceoffs, the Leafs could very well let him walk without losing much substance, if any. He isn't worth $5M, specially not to the Leafs.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:16 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
In a nutshell. He isn't anyone's first choice as 1st line center, ever.
He should be Toronto's.

We don't have any better options available to us.

Old
04-16-2013, 06:16 PM
rockinghockey

I would give him 4mil a year. He is really good on faceoff and defensively. He can still put up some points and play with skilled players.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaylock38 View Post
How about a young centre who has emerged from Prospect to top 6 NHL forward, and now looks to be making the jump into the top role. Its called development, and considering that where he has played and in what city, and to see his number increase year by year.

those aren't 3rd line centre numbers.

He is ranked #36 in points among centers. They aren't first line center numbers(despite getting the ice time of a first line center)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...rt=points&pg=2

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:17 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I don't see it at all.

Bozak is a 15-20G, 40-50 points player playing with one of the best young big forwards and one of the best snipers in the league between him. The Leafs' PK prowess rests on McClement, not Bozak. And with Komarov being remarkable on the circle whenever he's taken faceoffs, the Leafs could very well let him walk without losing much substance, if any. He isn't worth $5M, specially not to the Leafs.
So you're saying Randy Carlyle is making a mistake by making Bozak the team's most utilized forward? I'd certainly disagree considering the Leafs position in the standings, the top line's productivity (44 goals in 42 games), and a +/- rating that is gaining respectability.

Who do you propose would be a more effective centre in Bozak's role, and costs less than $5m?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishdul View Post
Tyler Bozak is not a good defensive player, Mr. Linden
He absolutely is when you consider what he's been able to do despite consistently playing alongside guys who like to jump the zone.

Last edited by seanlinden: 04-16-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old
04-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
If a backup goalie can make 5.3, anything is possible I suppose.
Is this a jab at Howard? Someone who's put up comparable numbers to Reimer, has more wins than Reimer has games, and is only 4 years older than him?

If it's Luongo, he's an allstar goalie in a poor situation. He still has his gold medal, and is still a #1 NHL goalie.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:20 PM
TOML

Hmmm... A ton of players demanding a raise AND a lowering cap next season?

Gonna be a whole lineup-shakin' goin' on.

But... If Bozak's askin' 5, what's Kadri askin'? 9?

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

Could be t he next stajan, aka the 2nd best centre in leaf history.

Alfieghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:22 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Its his starting point

CHILL

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
He is ranked #36 in points among centers. They aren't first line center numbers(despite getting the ice time of a first line center)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...rt=points&pg=2
he does other things, since when is being a 1st line centre only about points????

He plays against the other teams top lines, is on the top PK, he goes on the ice to take defensive zone faceoffs when it is not his line, top PP and his team is in 5th in the conference, weird that the success of the Leafs has grown as the ALL of their players have developed over the years.

he has a more complete game and is not just about points, take him over any of the FA out there, Kessel was played with Grabo didn't work, every time he goes back with Bozak, he scores. not coincidence, but it is because he is a leaf and that is really the only reason.

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:27 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaylock38 View Post
he does other things, since when is being a 1st line centre only about points????

He plays against the other teams top lines, is on the top PK, he goes on the ice to take defensive zone faceoffs when it is not his line, top PP and his team is in 5th in the conference, weird that the success of the Leafs has grown as the ALL of their players have developed over the years.

he has a more complete game and is not just about points, take him over any of the FA out there, Kessel was played with Grabo didn't work, every time he goes back with Bozak, he scores. not coincidence, but it is because he is a leaf and that is really the only reason.
LOL! Hey it's not my money but looking at other $5 million players in the league Tyler Bozak just doesn't seem to fit. On the plus side it gives a good guess of what players like Kessel will be asking though.
If Bozak gets $5 million this will definitely impact the salary structure of the Leafs going forward.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:27 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
So you're saying Randy Carlyle is making a mistake by making Bozak the team's most utilized forward?

Who do you propose would be a more effective centre in Bozak's role, and costs less than $5m?

He absolutely is when you consider what he's been able to do despite consistently playing alongside guys who like to jump the zone.
I'm not denying that Bozak is a good fit for the Leafs right now, but the matter of fact is that he simply isn't worth a $5 million contract. He doesn't play #1 ES and PP minutes because he's a #1 center, but out of the pieces the Leafs currently have he's the best fit given where everyone else falls into place at this moment.

I wouldn't be saddened if Bozak was given a $5M deal on a 1 year contract to give Toronto's youngsters more time to round out their game and keep Nonis from wasting assets, but given Kadri, Grabovski, Komarov and perhaps Colborne coming up as #1-3C options the deal can quickly become an anchor. Hell, Grabo's deal speaks for itself.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Drij

Seems like Calgary would give it to him.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:29 PM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

I could see Dallas giving him a deal this summer. He'd be our 2nd line C (I think Joe Nieuwendyk has ties to Bozak as well, but I can't remember) and Dallas has some work to get to the cap-floor. It'd be a pretty good fit for both parties.

oconnor9sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Hilarious. He's trying his best to be the next Mike Comrie, eh?

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:31 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I'm not denying that Bozak is a good fit for the Leafs right now, but the matter of fact is that he simply isn't worth a $5 million contract. He doesn't play #1 ES and PP minutes because he's a #1 center, but out of the pieces the Leafs currently have he's the best fit given where everyone else falls into place at this moment.

I wouldn't be saddened if Bozak was given a $5M deal on a 1 year contract to give Toronto's youngsters more time to round out their game and keep Nonis from wasting assets, but given Kadri, Grabovski, Komarov and perhaps Colborne coming up as #1-3C options the deal can quickly become an anchor. Hell, Grabo's deal speaks for itself.
You seem to be bringing up a lot of bits of data as to why Bozak isn't worth $5m... but none actually relative to what gives players worth.

Player's get their worth from being the best available option to a team at that price. Until you suggest an alternative that is better than the Leafs paying Bozak $5m, he's worth $5m. Keeping Grabovski at $5.5m is certainly not a better alternative.

BTW, he plays #1 minutes because he's Toronto's #1 centre. He's Toronto's #1 centre because he's the best guy to have on our top line, and our best faceoff guy.

Old
04-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
I could see Dallas giving him a deal this summer. He'd be our 2nd line C (I think Joe Nieuwendyk has ties to Bozak as well, but I can't remember) and Dallas has some work to get to the cap-floor. It'd be a pretty good fit for both parties.
I think Nieuwy was with the Leafs' front office when they picked up Bozak as a FA out of college.

Bozak also has a history with Jamie Benn (Victoria Grizzlies), so there's another reason why the Stars may target him.

I sure as hell hope Nieuwy's not dumb enough to offer him $5 mil, though.

04-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Riptide

http://hockeyanalysis.com/2013/02/16...e-tyler-bozak/

Something that came up when discussing Toronto's centers. A very good comparison to Bozak.

He's not worth a penny over 3.5m. 4-5m is a joke. Let him walk.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:34 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
Leaf fans please don't look into this too much. Dreger has been horrid all season long.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

I can see Calgary going after him, and honestly, as long as it's only a 2-3 year deal, I'd actually be okay with it. If it meant getting a top 6 center, so be it.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
Leaf fans please don't look into this too much. Dreger has been horrid all season long.
Whole career.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:43 PM
alpine4life

wow really... go the the KHL then...

but the worst part is that I see a deperate team in need of a no.2 Center make an offer close that...

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Sonny Lamateena

If the Leafs want to spend 5 million on a center they should try to get Derek Stepan to sign an offer sheet, the Rangers need to sign McDonagh and Hagelin as well so they would have to choose between matching and keeping Stepan or buying out Brad Richards who the Leafs could offer the $5 million to as an UFA.

Sonny Lamateena is offline   Reply With Quote