HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

All-inclusive Bud Holloway Love/Hate Fest

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I agree with what your saying here.

I heard again that the KHL (dynamo possibly) are going to put some real money on the table. Now the KHL isn't the NHL but cash is cash and with BH already willing to play in EU for the money it is possible that he will consider the KHL.

I know for a fact that BH wants to be in the NHL and as early as this past offseason wanted to return to the Kings given the choice so that might factor in but if a KHL team comes around with a guaranteed 5yr deal for big money they could get him. I heard somewhere in the neighborhood of $5.5m per year is what could be being offered. Duds would have a huge decision to make.
Wow, I'd be surprised if the KHL was willing to offer that to a not NHL or KHL proven star like Holloway. The other thing to consider is how fluid KHL contracts are, that might prove very risky to sign for that much in KHL, if he struggles at all that could prove a very bad move. It's very easy for KHL teams to cancel contracts, something that is not present in NHL contracts.

It'll be interesting, but from what I have heard Bud wants to go NHL. So I think he'd be willing to sacrifice some money now for the NHL. I can also see him betting on himself by going to NHL with not as much upfront money, but betting that he will succeed and get an even larger NHL contract in a year or two. Hard to say.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 04-15-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old
04-15-2013, 11:39 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Wow, I'd be surprised if the KHL was willing to offer that to a not NHL or KHL proven star like Holloway. The other thing to consider is how fluid KHL contracts are, that might prove very risky to sign for that much in KHL, if he struggles at all that could prove a very bad move. It's very easy for KHL teams to cancel contracts, something that is not present in NHL contracts.

It'll be interesting, but from what I have heard Bud wants to go NHL. So I think he'd be willing to sacrifice some money now for the NHL. I can also see him betting on himself by going to NHL with not as much upfront money, but betting that he will succeed and get an even larger NHL contract in a year or two. Hard to say.
I agree.

One thing though Bud is a big name in Hockey in EU. The KHL views the SEL and the rest of the top pro leagues in a similar manner as they do the NHL in many ways. Of course its a bigger feather in the cap to snag a young established NHLer but with Bud being tops in the SEL he is really attractive to them too.

In leaking that sort of an offer they also get to compete with the NHL for a player which gives them more credibility (in their opinion anyway I believe).

In the end I agree that Bud will end up back in the NHL. Its what he has wanted to do and he will gamble on himself enough to earn the money. Having been to a bunch of SEL games over the years I will say though that if Bud stayed there it wouldn't be completely surprising.

He gets allot of leverage out of the notion that he might go the the NHL as far as contracts go but they can only offer so much money which will be nowhere near what an NHL team could end up offering for certain.

That said young star players in the SEL have a great quality of life and can set themselves up for the rest of their lives over there pretty easily. Bud lives in a great town and it if he ended up staying there could have done allot worse for himself.

The KHL is such an iffy league in so many ways that even if the money gets huge I will be surprised to see Bud sign there but thought I would pass along what I had heard because you never know.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:11 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Oh don't worry, that happens to all of us. Hell people that make millions with the sole job of building a team inside the CBA make huge mistakes (Jay Feaster ). I have read most of the CBA, in particular most draft, players rights, reserve list, contract issues more times, but I still miss a few things, ages in particular often mess with me a bit.

I am very much excited for the new one to be released, I love following the CBA, at least with regards to player rights and contracts (club finances I care less about, that's for the owners, I like the GM aspect)

Unfortunately I am leaving town on the 23rd, got to work the summer in Saskatchewan again Next year, when the Kings come to town you should come down, we can rep some Kings stuff at the game I "may" even be able to get you tickets if you can't get some (Don't hold me to that, I'd have to see next year )
Hopefully they come up not in the middle of January or February. I'll be watching the schedule for sure!

Quote:
We will never really know what happened (at least most fans), but it seems to me that had communication been better that a one-way league minimum deal before 11-12 should have been possible. Worst scenario was LA paid 550K for an AHL player for one year, not the end of the world.
The one way this could have impacted the Kings is the precident it sets. Giving guys like Holloway one-way deals is ok on an individual basis, but what's to stop Kozun from asking for the same thing? Or Vey? Or Legien, or Cliche? Obviously not all of these guys would, but it sets a precident that leaves DL little ground to stand on when telling those guys no after telling Bud yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
I dont think its about Lombardi as it is Holloway. He chose to leave because of either:
a. he didnt get his shot when HE thought he paid his dues and was ready.
b. took bad advice from his agent and wanted to make more money over seas.
Why is it bad advice from his agent? The guy is making more money in the SEL than he was guaranteed to make in the AHL (and making the NHL was a good chance, but no guarantee) and now here he is two years later hotly talked about and very likely set to get a decent pay day from an NHL team. I could think of worse advice to get from an agent.

In my opinion, both sides were right in how they handled things, considering how they panned out. DL stood his ground and held to the "you get recalled when the team says you do" motto, while Holloway got a better pay day and raised his status in the hockey world. Win-win.

Quote:
I agree with what your saying here.

I heard again that the KHL (dynamo possibly) are going to put some real money on the table. Now the KHL isn't the NHL but cash is cash and with BH already willing to play in EU for the money it is possible that he will consider the KHL.

I know for a fact that BH wants to be in the NHL and as early as this past offseason wanted to return to the Kings given the choice so that might factor in but if a KHL team comes around with a guaranteed 5yr deal for big money they could get him. I heard somewhere in the neighborhood of $5.5m per year is what could be being offered. Duds would have a huge decision to make.
If someone in the KHL offers him that kind of money, they can have him.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:40 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

If someone in the KHL offers him that kind of money, they can have him.
If someone does offer him that kind of money they might.

The popular notion of KHL/NHL exchange is 70 cents on the dollar in favor of us.

$5.5 m per u.s. to play in a league like the KHL is what it is. I do think that if this rumor is true which I believe it has at least a little merit then it does show that along with the SEL that there are other pro leagues who like BH's game allot.

Doesn't make him a sure thing NHLer but he was right there when he left here and has gone on to do very very well in a league that has produced some exceptional NHL players. He is worth a go and I like the idea of giving him a one way deal to get him here for as cheaply as possible.

I still remain skeptical about DL doing it but it would be a good move imo if he did.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:51 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
If someone does offer him that kind of money they might.

The popular notion of KHL/NHL exchange is 70 cents on the dollar in favor of us.

$5.5 m per u.s. to play in a league like the KHL is what it is. I do think that if this rumor is true which I believe it has at least a little merit then it does show that along with the SEL that there are other pro leagues who like BH's game allot.

Doesn't make him a sure thing NHLer but he was right there when he left here and has gone on to do very very well in a league that has produced some exceptional NHL players. He is worth a go and I like the idea of giving him a one way deal to get him here for as cheaply as possible.

I still remain skeptical about DL doing it but it would be a good move imo if he did.
Unless the KHL contract has some really silly concallation loopholes (which they can), then Bud would be crazy not to sign for that. In that case, it wouldn't be a might, it would happen.

Even at a 70% rate in favor of us, that still works out to $3.85 million. No one will give him that. Even Cervenka, who had multiple huge seasons in Europe, signed for just over $1 million (if you include the signing bonus, his actual salary is $925,000), with an additional $2.85 milion in performance bonuses. And Cervenka is on a two-way deal too.

Holloway will likely be looking at between $800,000 and $1.1 million on a contract if he comes to the NHL, with the possibility of additional monies via a signing bonus and/or perfromance bonuses. If some crazy KHL team wants to offer him $5.5 million, they will certainly get him.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

If Holloway really gets an offer of $5.5 million from a KHL team, he should take that and run.

The closest comparison for Holloway would be Carl Soderberg, who recently signed with the Bruins with a 3 year, one way deal with a $1008333 cap hit. His compensation does include a $500,000 signing bonus for this season so the player will get paid around $2.55 million for 2 years and 1-2 months while the club gets a cap hit of just over $1 million.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:54 PM
dbbourn

vCash: 50
Trying to find out how much Moller's new contract was I somehow came up with this page... weird.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/oscar%20m%C3%B6ller

Old
04-16-2013, 02:16 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbourn View Post
Trying to find out how much Moller's new contract was I somehow came up with this page... weird.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/oscar%20m%C3%B6ller

Old
04-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
That's really ****ing creepy

Old
04-16-2013, 03:52 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

If Hollaway is a UFA why would he sign with us? Another team would surely pay more then we could offer. Unless he has some emotional attachment to the organization or Dean guilt trips him for leaving haha

Old
04-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Omni Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Dropped the soap, gonna get poked.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:10 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix View Post
If Hollaway is a UFA why would he sign with us? Another team would surely pay more then we could offer. Unless he has some emotional attachment to the organization or Dean guilt trips him for leaving haha
Don't forget, he's not a UFA until July 1st.

At this moment, our only appeal that I can see is a chance at playing in the playoffs. Assuming his season ends in about a week, he could be here in time for the final few games of the regular season, plus the playoffs. So he'd have a chance to get a few days/one week of NHL pay, plus a likely decent signing bonus and a chance to show himself in the playoffs.

Using Soderberg as an example, He likely could fetch from us a 2-3 year deal at about $800,000-$1 million a season cap hit, with a $500,000 signing bonus included. Considering this season would be the first year on the deal, he'd be getting about $1.1 million for this season plus next on a 2 year deal (so about 15 months).

If Holloway elected to wait, he'd likely still get about the same offer, but would have to wait until July to get it (or later) and not get a chance to play in the NHL and showcase himself. We don't have a lot to offer, but we do have a few things he'd either have to wait for or miss out on altogether by waiting until he is a UFA.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:17 PM
LaFan1967

Quote:
Holloway qualifies for Group VI UFA status this year at 25 (2 years early since he does not have enough games for standard UFA status), so it is only this summer he becomes a UFA.
Doesn't the fact that he signed a SEL contract effect his Group VI UFA status since the
Kings couldn't give him the 80 games ?

Old
04-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Unless the KHL contract has some really silly concallation loopholes (which they can), then Bud would be crazy not to sign for that. In that case, it wouldn't be a might, it would happen.

Even at a 70% rate in favor of us, that still works out to $3.85 million. No one will give him that. Even Cervenka, who had multiple huge seasons in Europe, signed for just over $1 million (if you include the signing bonus, his actual salary is $925,000), with an additional $2.85 milion in performance bonuses. And Cervenka is on a two-way deal too.

Holloway will likely be looking at between $800,000 and $1.1 million on a contract if he comes to the NHL, with the possibility of additional monies via a signing bonus and/or perfromance bonuses. If some crazy KHL team wants to offer him $5.5 million, they will certainly get him.
Remember that Cervenka was subject to ELC rules (which is why the salary is rookie max and twoway), whereas Holloway will not be. I could easily see him getting 1.5 million guaranteed a season this off-season. He is not eligible for performance bonuses (that is only for ELC's and special injury contracts).

And that all KHL are not guaranteed contracts. They can be cancelled at any time for little compensation, something that must be considered.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with him.

Old
04-16-2013, 06:03 PM
lafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFan1967 View Post
Doesn't the fact that he signed a SEL contract effect his Group VI UFA status since the
I would sure like to know why most of the people i talk to about Bud say he is LA property till he is 27,and some of these people should know,are all contract different.

Old
04-16-2013, 06:36 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Anaheim signed some guy, time to sign Bud. It seems only right.

Old
04-16-2013, 06:38 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

Regarding Cliche, in 2012 he became a Group VI unrestricted free agent. He re-signed with the Kings getting a two year contract. This year his contract is two-way, but next season he has a one-way contract. I guess the plan is that he will be the 13th/14th forward or be lost on waivers to another team. Sort of a "reward" type contract. Interesting situation. I wonder if other teams have given out this type of deal.

edit: Forgot to include that after next season he is Group III unrestricted free agent.

Last edited by BallPointHammer: 04-16-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Added more information.
Old
04-16-2013, 07:18 PM
cubsfan999

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
That's moriarty's step son doing that interview BTW

Last edited by cubsfan999: 04-16-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: What do you see, Oscar?
Old
04-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFan1967 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafan View Post
I would sure like to know why most of the people i talk to about Bud say he is LA property till he is 27,and some of these people should know,are all contract different.
No, the fact that he went to SEL does not affect his Group VI status. He will be an UFA this summer should he choose to file for Group VI (no reason he wouldn't).

I don't who you are talking about lafan, but he is a UFA this summer. This is true, read the CBA and it's quite simple to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPointHammer View Post
Regarding Cliche, in 2012 he became a Group VI unrestricted free agent. He re-signed with the Kings getting a two year contract. This year his contract is two-way, but next season he has a one-way contract. I guess the plan is that he will be the 13th/14th forward or be lost on waivers to another team. Sort of a "reward" type contract. Interesting situation. I wonder if other teams have given out this type of deal.

edit: Forgot to include that after next season he is Group III unrestricted free agent.
It is quite common these days it seems to reward long time minor leaguers. The Jets signed C Aaron Gagnon to a similiar contract before the 2011-12 season. Thankfully the Jets did not recall him when the season started this year, although he is up now and playing ok (well offensively his been working hard, but is an absolute mess defensively). I believe their are other examples of this type of contract, but I do not know them off the top of my head.

I believe you are right that Cliche might replace Richardson's spot next year, that seems to have been the idea, but I don't think DL will just hand the spot to him, if he doesn't make it, he doesn't make it. It's only a ~500K difference, not the end of the world to have him in minors if he's not helping in LA.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:07 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

kingsfan

I am not the one saying that the KHL should or will or even have offered him anything, only what I have heard has been going on.

If I were BH I would do what he is doing since signing in the SEL and that is showcase my game in the best most effective possible way in the hopes that I will get my shot at the NHL. As soon as this season ends I would be doing everything possible to get one last chance at playing for the team that drafted me, the current Stanley Cup Champions which is what BH is trying do according to his agent and a few others.

I don't think that he will get more than Soderberg but then I don't really care about what he is offered or ends up getting or any of that stuff. I do care a little bit to see BH play in the NHL. He was NHL ready and had earned his shot when he left the Kings.

If he comes to us and plays well then great, if not then great. I only hope to see him play in the NHL but if that doesn't happen it isn't any skin off of anyones anywhere anyways.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:25 PM
lafan

Quote:
No, the fact that he went to SEL does not affect his Group VI status. He will be an UFA this summer should he choose to file for Group VI (no reason he wouldn't).

I don't who you are talking about lafan, but he is a UFA this summer. This is true, read the CBA and it's quite simple to see.

It is quite common these days it seems to reward long time minor leaguers. The Jets signed C Aaron Gagnon to a similiar contract before the 2011-12 season. Thankfully the Jets did not recall him when the season started this year, although he is up now and playing ok (well offensively his been working hard, but is an absolute mess defensively). I believe their are other examples of this type of contract, but I do not know them off the top of my head.

I believe you are right that Cliche might replace Richardson's spot next year, that seems to have been the idea, but I don't think DL will just hand the spot to him, if he doesn't make it, he doesn't make it. It's only a ~500K difference, not the end of the world to have him in minors if he's not helping in LA.
Thanks is there a site were a guy can read that part of the CBA.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafan View Post
Thanks is there a site were a guy can read that part of the CBA.
http://www.nhlfa.com/CBA/2005-CBA.pdf

Here's a link to CBA. EDIT: Yes this is the 05 CBA, however the 13 CBA has not been written as of yet and there was no indication in the MOU this year that UFA or Group VI UFA will be changing.

Here's the relevant quote.

Quote:
(c) Group 6 Free Agents.
(i) Means any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three
(3) or more professional seasons, whose SPC has expired and: (i)
in the case of a Player other than a goaltender, has played less than
80 NHL Games,
or (ii) in the case of a goaltender, has played less
than 28 NHL Games (for the purpose of this definition, a
goaltender must have played a minimum of thirty (30) minutes in
an NHL Game to register a game played). For the purposes of the
foregoing, the term professional season shall: (A) for a Player aged
18 or 19, mean any season in which such Player plays in eleven
(11) or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season
and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff
games, and games played in any European professional league,
while under an SPC), and (B) for a Player aged 20 or older, mean
any season in which such Player plays in one or more Professional
Games (including NHL Regular Season and Playoff Games, minor
league regular season and playoff games, and games played in any
European professional league, while under an SPC).

(ii) Any Group 6 Player shall, at the expiration of his SPC, become an
Unrestricted Free Agent and shall be completely free to negotiate29
and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely
free to negotiate and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty
or restriction, or being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft
Choice Compensation or any other compensation or equalization
obligation of any kind.
Holloway completed his 3 seasons in minor pro hockey under a SPC and has less than 80 NHL games, therefore eligible for Group VI UFA.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 04-16-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old
04-16-2013, 08:46 PM
David Strorm
@ControlPuck

SAIK is 3-0 in the finals against Linkopings. Could be done as soon as the 18th.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:31 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
kingsfan

I am not the one saying that the KHL should or will or even have offered him anything, only what I have heard has been going on.

If I were BH I would do what he is doing since signing in the SEL and that is showcase my game in the best most effective possible way in the hopes that I will get my shot at the NHL. As soon as this season ends I would be doing everything possible to get one last chance at playing for the team that drafted me, the current Stanley Cup Champions which is what BH is trying do according to his agent and a few others.

I don't think that he will get more than Soderberg but then I don't really care about what he is offered or ends up getting or any of that stuff. I do care a little bit to see BH play in the NHL. He was NHL ready and had earned his shot when he left the Kings.

If he comes to us and plays well then great, if not then great. I only hope to see him play in the NHL but if that doesn't happen it isn't any skin off of anyones anywhere anyways.
Yeah, I know you're just relaying what you've heard, and I'm just commenting on what you are relaying. It's all cool TG, you're still the best!

Old
04-16-2013, 10:36 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Yeah, I know you're just relaying what you've heard, and I'm just commenting on what you are relaying. It's all cool TG, you're still the best!
No worries. I had to write fast and hope that I didn't come off like a Richard. I agree with what you are saying, just wanted to put what I was thinking out there too. If Bud can get more money somewhere else then he should if he thinks its worth ditching his NHL career over but I don't think he will.

It would be great to have him but if we don't get him then that is that. We have other options and a couple of better ones now too.

Closed Thread