HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Some suggestions to improve the flow of the game

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2003, 03:40 PM
Masao

vCash: 500
Some suggestions to improve the flow of the game

I know hockey conservatists are going to hate me for this... but at least hear me out

This is what my idea of the ideal hockey ice surface:

Notable changes:

- Players would be allowed to clear the puck to the other end from anywhere on the ice (no icings)
- The blue lines will be removed. There will no longer be any neutral zones, only two offensive zones.
- There will be offsides like before (ie, no player can get in the zone before the puck) but they will occur on the red line instead
- Notice the new blue line close to the nets? Those are part of a new rule I thought up. Once a goaltender makes a save, players can keep trying to get rebounds until the goaltender has full possession of the puck. Howver, the "freeze" rule will be completely different: as soon as the goalie has control, all players from the opposing team have five seconds to get behind the blue line, while the goaltender has the same amount of time to give the puck to one of his teammates for a counter attack. If players take too long to get out of the area or the goalie takes too long to drop the puck, a penalty is called.
- Penalties last the full length no matter how many goals are scored
- The minimum amount of skaters on the ice per team would be two instead of three (if a team has four penalties at the same time, the fourth one starts when the first one ends)

The main goal of all this would be to reduce the number of whistles as much as possible because, imo, they ruin the flow and kill the momentum.

Comments? Suggestions? Death threats?

Old
12-29-2003, 04:13 PM
Jacob

I think if you get rid of icing, you'll have teams like Minnesota getting an early lead and just slapping the puck down the ice for 55 minutes a night. You have to punish a team for not counter-attacking.

The rest of your ideas I won't even touch.

Old
12-29-2003, 04:17 PM
Iceburgh

Offsides at the red line. Bahahaha , that'll help...

Old
12-29-2003, 04:33 PM
Frolov

The icing thing wont work and the 5 second blue line rule will get you more penalties thus more whistles.

Nice though.

Old
12-29-2003, 04:48 PM
BCCHL inactive

I commend your effort....

but...

No....to everything except the minor penalty being 2 minutes no matter what.

The goal here is to better the quality of the game while not changing what the game is.

Old
12-29-2003, 04:51 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao
- Notice the new blue line close to the nets? Those are part of a new rule I thought up. Once a goaltender makes a save, players can keep trying to get rebounds until the goaltender has full possession of the puck. Howver, the "freeze" rule will be completely different: as soon as the goalie has control, all players from the opposing team have five seconds to get behind the blue line, while the goaltender has the same amount of time to give the puck to one of his teammates for a counter attack. If players take too long to get out of the area or the goalie takes too long to drop the puck, a penalty is called.
a huge no to that

Old
12-29-2003, 05:20 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
players have to rush to get back behind the line? seems like some kind of kiddy game.

Closed Thread