HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Bo Horvat - London Knights, OHL (2013, 9th overall, Vancouver)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-16-2013, 02:25 PM
  #51
Dr.Sens(e)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Except the fact that Tie was a scrapper and needed to have much more muscle. Totally different style of player here.
Different styles, same body.

Are you suggesting Max Domi won't put on any more weight? I can't think of many players who don't put on at least 10 pounds of muscle between their draft years and NHL primes. That's my point here.

Either way, the main point is his body type is substantially different than Pedan's, and as such, some scouts are probably a little more comfortable with Domi as a 1st rounder. Whether that is fair or not is up for debate.

And not that it matters, but Tie Domi didn't win fights by being bigger than the other guy, anyways.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:34 PM
  #52
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala
 
Renegade Stylings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22,862
vCash: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Different styles, same body.

Are you suggesting Max Domi won't put on any more weight? I can't think of many players who don't put on at least 10 pounds of muscle between their draft years and NHL primes. That's my point here.

Either way, the main point is his body type is substantially different than Pedan's, and as such, some scouts are probably a little more comfortable with Domi as a 1st rounder. Whether that is fair or not is up for debate.

And not that it matters, but Tie Domi didn't win fights by being bigger than the other guy, anyways.
- No, I'm not suggesting he won't put on more weight...where did I come close to saying that? As I posted above, I said I highly doubt that he plays effectively at 210 or more pounds. That's extremely heavy for someone 5'10 or maybe even 5'11. I know junior players now that 6'1 or bigger and are trying to transition to eventually jump to the pros at around 215 pounds...and that transition isn't going well considering they are too heavy. I really don't see Domi succeeding as an offensive player at 5'10 and 210.

- My point about comparing Max and Tie is that the two are different styles of players and that Tie would have to have been heavier because he was needing to have more muscle to fight guys much bigger/stronger than he was. Yeah, he didn't win fights by being stronger than guys, but I can guarantee that he would have needed much more muscle in his role than Max will need in his potential NHL role. Max is an offensive player and will need to be lighter in order to be effective in that type of role.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:42 PM
  #53
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Tie was more top heavy. Much stronger upper body especially for fighting guys. With Max it's more strength in his core and lower body as he is a very shifty and speedy type of player. Max is 5'9 right now, may possibly grow another inch and a bit.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:48 PM
  #54
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
People have this misconception that Horvat will be available around 15-25 range. There is serious talks of him possibly being selected as high as the 7-10 range. Teams love his competitiveness and leadership qualities. He has some serious potential. There are always surprises draft day, we will just have to wait and see.


Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 04-16-2013 at 04:27 PM.
NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:34 PM
  #55
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
People have this misconception that Horvat will be available around 15-25 range. There is serious talks of him possibly being selected as high as the 7-10 range. Teams love his competitiveness and leadership qualities. He has some serious potential. There are always surprises draft day, we will just have to wait and see.
Exactly. I am just remembering Schiefele who most had pegged in the 20-25 range. Teams love guys who have that pro level of commitment and competiveness with a great attitude.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:50 PM
  #56
Henderson19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
People have this misconception that Horvat will be available around 15-25 range. There is serious talks of him possibly being selected as high as the 7-10 range. Teams love his competitiveness and leadership qualities. He has some serious potential. There are always surprises draft day, we will just have to wait and see.
Maybe yes, maybe no. At least 6-8 mocks have him around 20, give or take a couple of spots. I've yet to see one that puts him in the top 10. Not that anyone really 'knows', just that 7-10 seems optimistic.

Henderson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:06 AM
  #57
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glgbill View Post
Maybe yes, maybe no. At least 6-8 mocks have him around 20, give or take a couple of spots. I've yet to see one that puts him in the top 10. Not that anyone really 'knows', just that 7-10 seems optimistic.
Yeah it's understandable but no mocks had Jankowski going in the first round last year or Koekkoek going top 10. ISS has Horvat at 10, and NACS has him at 8. To put it short all I'm saying is that anything is possible.

I was reading a blog recently, and someone asked where Horvat would be drafted. An individual commented saying he's ranked around 24-28 but is nothing but a 2nd round talent. ---> I'm not even related to the kid in anyway and I couldn't believe what I was reading... lol. People like these don't even watch the players and use rankings to make up complete BS.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:59 AM
  #58
Henderson19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Yeah it's understandable but no mocks had Jankowski going in the first round last year or Koekkoek going top 10. ISS has Horvat at 10, and NACS has him at 8. To put it short all I'm saying is that anything is possible.

I was reading a blog recently, and someone asked where Horvat would be drafted. An individual commented saying he's ranked around 24-28 but is nothing but a 2nd round talent. ---> I'm not even related to the kid in anyway and I couldn't believe what I was reading... lol. People like these don't even watch the players and use rankings to make up complete BS.
Fair enough, although I might note the NACS ranking hasn't been updated since early January, at least to my knowledge. But you're right. After the first few picks, no one really 'knows' where a player might go. All it takes is one NHL GM to see something they really like in a kid.

Henderson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:36 PM
  #59
dino200022
Registered User
 
dino200022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Big Bo

Am I the only one who thinks horvatis a legit top 5 to 10 pick in this years draft? Have yet to see any mock with him even in top 15 to 20 for the most part. Kid is legit and easily the best all around player in this years draft.

dino200022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:39 PM
  #60
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino200022 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks horvatis a legit top 5 to 10 pick in this years draft? Have yet to see any mock with him even in top 15 to 20 for the most part. Kid is legit and easily the best all around player in this years draft.
I agree he's one of the best 2way players.. very complete... The highend offensive upside is what keeps him lower in the rankings..

I dont think it's to much of a stretch @ 11 - 15 range, but top 5 - 9 is crazy with the likes of Mac, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse, etc.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:47 PM
  #61
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,151
vCash: 500
Bo knows hockey.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:22 PM
  #62
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Courtice/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,293
vCash: 500
Bo will probably go between 18-23.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:29 PM
  #63
HockeySensible
NHL Says...
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,335
vCash: 500
Actually, no. Lol. (Not directed to anyone, or anything)


Last edited by HockeySensible: 04-23-2013 at 07:38 PM.
HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:40 PM
  #64
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,219
vCash: 500
He's trash.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:07 PM
  #65
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,964
vCash: 500
Depending on who went ahead of him, I'd probably take him as early as 9th or 10th.

Love his game.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:14 PM
  #66
dino200022
Registered User
 
dino200022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Depending on who went ahead of him, I'd probably take him as early as 9th or 10th.

Love his game.
Thank u for a serious response!

dino200022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:20 PM
  #67
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,161
vCash: 500
Looks like he scored 2 short handed goals tonight on the same penalty.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:04 PM
  #68
HockeySensible
NHL Says...
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,335
vCash: 500
I like Bo's game. I've seen a lot of him. He just doesn't have the offensive upside to go that high in the draft. He's a well-rounded player. He's a powerful skater, and a strong kid.. but I just can't see him topping out as anything more than a 2nd line centre. A Joe Pavelski-type player (if everything goes well). A guy you want on your team for sure, but the top-10's a bit of a stretch and the top-5 ever more so, IMO.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:08 PM
  #69
WildcatMapleLeafs28
Registered User
 
WildcatMapleLeafs28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,412
vCash: 500
12-20 seems likely. No way he goes top 10 in this draft. Doubt he bumps MacKinnon,Drouin, Monahan,Barkov,Jones, Shinkaruk, Pulock, Nurse , Lindholm or Nichuskin out of a spot..

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:12 PM
  #70
JMac13
Registered User
 
JMac13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Looks like he scored 2 short handed goals tonight on the same penalty.
Yes he did. Kid is an animal.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if he went right around the 10-15 mark. Kid is such a complete player already and has VERY underrated hands. So good at finishing plays around the net, I really think his offence is going to translate to the next level

JMac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:49 PM
  #71
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 40,148
vCash: 500
I saw him in a handful of games last season and saw a future fourth line NHL player. I saw him a few times very early in this season, and saw a future fourth line NHLer. Apparently he really turned it on half way through this season and has turned himself into a real prospect. Unfortunately I haven't been able to see it and am left with a terrible bias as a result. Hopefully the Knights make a run and I get to see this new Horvat that can play.

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:06 AM
  #72
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,757
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I like Bo's game. I've seen a lot of him. He just doesn't have the offensive upside to go that high in the draft. He's a well-rounded player. He's a powerful skater, and a strong kid.. but I just can't see him topping out as anything more than a 2nd line centre. A Joe Pavelski-type player (if everything goes well). A guy you want on your team for sure, but the top-10's a bit of a stretch and the top-5 ever more so, IMO.
I like the Pavelski comparison. Ryan O'Reilly's another good comp. Whoever takes Horvat is going to be very, very happy. I think the Sharks take a serious look at him, even though I'd rather go for someone with more upside, because he's got every trait they value.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:46 AM
  #73
RyanHPscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
He gets under appreciated because he's not a flashy player. If you get a chance to watch him, just follow him for a shift. He always knows exactly where he needs to be. He has a great shot. He battles hard and plays a two-way game. I've really liked him since Minor Midget with Elgin-Middlesex. He just needs to get faster, which will come.

RyanHPscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:56 AM
  #74
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,624
vCash: 500
I love this kid's game. But in this draft I think the focus is going to be getting a top line center, a top 2 dman or perhaps that big talented power forward like Nichuskin.

For me Horvat and Lazar are similar types of players. Neither right now looks to have enough offense in their games to be top end first line centers but both guys are players that could be major contributors on top end teams.

As an Oiler fan I'd love to have either on my team. Like dnicks, I'd have no issue with my team taking him around #10.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:50 PM
  #75
JL17
Registered User
 
JL17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London or Gaspe
Posts: 2,793
vCash: 500
This series against Plymouth may push Horvat higher in the eyes of many scouts. IMO he's the most complete player in the draft. I don't think if London doesn't have Horvat that this series is 3-1 London.

People questioning his hands need to go thru the hilites especially in the series.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.