HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-12-2013, 09:45 AM
  #351
AIREAYE
Registered User
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Paris View Post
I love playing with people who are passionate about the game, whatever their skill level. And I admire the guys who, at 30 years old, decide to play it for the first time.

I don't resent them for having nice gear. My whole point is that the stick price has little to do with on-ice performance. I do resent the manufacturers for polluting our collective conciousness with the idea that you need a $200 OPS to play your A-game.

For adults with disposable income it's no big deal. But I wonder how many parents today are steering their kids away from hockey when they see the prices at a LHS. I also wonder about expediture cascades created on youth teams when one of the kids shows up with a $200 stick.
I will say this once more. You are not who the manufacturers are targeting with their high end product. No one implies that a rec player needs top end performance and anyone who does is misguiding and misleading you. For the manufacturers, you, as a rec player, would only need rec level performance (aka entry level) product. They want the high end product to be an aspiration; no one is 'polluting' anything.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:53 AM
  #352
LarryO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
Pricing sticks at $300 is a good way to make people feel like their $150 sticks are not that expensive, if you know what I mean.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:09 AM
  #353
Puck Farise
Registered User
 
Puck Farise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
Getting away from price talk - I've always been a shaft/blade user (except for when I find a clearance deal on a 1 piece that's too good to pass up haha), and I just picked up the APX shaft/blade combo.

Previously had been using the Warrior Dolomite with an APX blade, and I'm loving the results so far. When it finally goes on clearance I'll probably pick up a few more.

Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:45 AM
  #354
Aucoin11*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Paris View Post
I might also add some anecdotal evidence based on personal observation:

The most skilled players on my club teams, especially those who played at high level, tend to use average-to-inexpensive sticks... several of them prefer wood sticks/blades.

The mediocre/poor players who are passionate about the game and aspire to improve are the ones with the $200 OPS'.

I've see nothing wrong with people spending their money as they please and I don't dispute that the perceived marginal utility may intersect with the marginal cost at a very high price point.

But I do hope that the aspirational types enriching the marketing departments at Bauer and Reebok understand that they are paying for an aspirational product - a luxury good comparable to a Louis Vuitton handbag - that has little-to-no connection with improving their performance on the ice.

Those who do want to invest in performance will find much better returns spending their money on more ice time/skating lessons/weight training, etc.
Based on your anecdotal evidence it sounds like you play D league, where the most "skilled player" is a guy who has mastered the art of skating backwards without falling.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:52 AM
  #355
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Paris View Post
I play with a few guys who played NCAA D1 and Junior A back in the day and they all use cheaper sticks. I think they understand the tenuous relationship between stick price and performance. Also, due to their skill and strength, they tend to break a lot of sticks/blades.

Even I, and I'm no where near their skill level, have already broken 4 sticks and/or blades this season. If those had been $200 OPS' the cost would have exceeded my ice-time fees.
Still doesn't mean low level players can't benefit from a better stick. Just because Crosby could probably dangle through all of us using a broom upside down doesn't mean the rest of us should try to.

Big thing with former competitive hockey players, like former junior and college guys, even former pros, they've played their highest level of hockey already. They moved on and now it's just for fun and exercise. They don't care if they score five goals or get scored on five times.

A lot of us rec leaguers, we're playing our highest level of hockey now and still playing competitively. I don't care if there's no money or prizes or future in it, it's still competitive hockey. If we can get an edge and afford it, we'll do it.

Still, on my team, there's maybe five guys who give a crap about their sticks and equipment (obviously I'm one of them), and none of us paid $200 for our sticks. Well, one guy did, but he's retired and bought an X:60 when it was new and has been using it for two years now.

And most of the teams we play, guys tend to use the $100-150 sticks if they care about their gear. Only a handful of players show up with matching $200 sticks and they're usually pretty good.

There's way more guys using old aluminum shafts with ratty wood blades and a lot of guys (including one on my team) using friggin wood sticks with ABS blades meant for road hockey. And most of these guys are pretty bad. I mean, I'd love to say there's guys in my league who used 5030's and bomb their shots but most of them just swat at the puck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
kind of an out there question but does anyone know what the stock skate profile is for Graf 703 and Easton S17? (ie. radius and pitch). Always used Bauers and don't know too much about Grafs or Eastons.

thx
Dunno about the Eastons but Grafs are 11' radius and forward pitch. Bauers are 9' radius and neutral. I had to have my Grafs profiled to match my Bauers and it was worth way more than the $30 they charged me. Night and day and I felt way more comfortable and my skating was much better.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:10 PM
  #356
Injektilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Taiwan
Country: United Nations
Posts: 2,516
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
So am i correct in noticing that if you want a 75 flex, you've gotta go higher up in price? Seems like all sticks under $100 are either 100(95) and 85 flex. I'm far too tall for an intermediate stick, and I've used a 67 flex before and hated it. Would live to try a 75 (usually use 85) but I've noticed they're really hard to find in stores, and they tend to start at $150 or so.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:26 PM
  #357
Puck Farise
Registered User
 
Puck Farise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
So am i correct in noticing that if you want a 75 flex, you've gotta go higher up in price? Seems like all sticks under $100 are either 100(95) and 85 flex. I'm far too tall for an intermediate stick, and I've used a 67 flex before and hated it. Would live to try a 75 (usually use 85) but I've noticed they're really hard to find in stores, and they tend to start at $150 or so.
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...e-one5-sr.html

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...5-grip-sr.html

Might just have to do with store availability?

Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:37 PM
  #358
AIREAYE
Registered User
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
So am i correct in noticing that if you want a 75 flex, you've gotta go higher up in price? Seems like all sticks under $100 are either 100(95) and 85 flex. I'm far too tall for an intermediate stick, and I've used a 67 flex before and hated it. Would live to try a 75 (usually use 85) but I've noticed they're really hard to find in stores, and they tend to start at $150 or so.
Not necessarily, one part has to do with store availability, like the above poster mentioned, and the other is the fact that a lot of low end sticks and some mid end sticks are not offered in 75/77 flex. I could help you confirm which ones are and aren't if you want; simply list some desired types of sticks and I could check for you.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:32 PM
  #359
Bure
Registered User
 
Bure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,116
vCash: 50
Anyone have any experiences with the rbz 60. My buddy is offering me 2 for 80 bucks each.

Cheers.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:40 PM
  #360
Injektilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Taiwan
Country: United Nations
Posts: 2,516
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Not necessarily, one part has to do with store availability, like the above poster mentioned, and the other is the fact that a lot of low end sticks and some mid end sticks are not offered in 75/77 flex. I could help you confirm which ones are and aren't if you want; simply list some desired types of sticks and I could check for you.
Don't really have any in mind, but when I looked at a Bauer merch book online a while back, it appeared that only the midrange or higher priced sticks came in 75/77 flex.
I don't have any specific stick in mind, I usually just look for one that a store has that fits my ideal curve in my price range, preferably on sale. I had a sherwood Stastny curve that I loved, so I might look in to the Nexxons...

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:44 PM
  #361
Injektilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Taiwan
Country: United Nations
Posts: 2,516
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPass2Clarkson View Post
I tend to go to Pro Hockey Life, which has about as big a selection as one can ask for in a physical location.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:31 AM
  #362
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ChiTownHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orland Park, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Anyone have any experiences with the rbz 60. My buddy is offering me 2 for 80 bucks each.

Cheers.
The only insight I have on that is that I picked one up once and liked the feel. At first I thought it seemed a little heavy for a top of the line stick and then I noticed I was holding the 60 and not the RBZ.

Also a guy on my team has one and he really likes it.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:45 AM
  #363
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ChiTownHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orland Park, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,267
vCash: 500
Picked this guy up over the weekend: Mako II, 75 cut to 85 flex, E7 Iginla



I've only used it once and the ice I used it on was garbage so I could not get true feel for it yet. It is light and balanced really well. The blade feels very stiff to me though I had no issues catching passes. I only took one slapper with it but it came off like a rocket. Wristers seemed similar to my Nexus 1000 and I only took one snap shot and it was crap.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:54 AM
  #364
iamjs
Unregistered User
 
iamjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
A lot of us rec leaguers, we're playing our highest level of hockey now and still playing competitively. I don't care if there's no money or prizes or future in it, it's still competitive hockey. If we can get an edge and afford it, we'll do it.

Still, on my team, there's maybe five guys who give a crap about their sticks and equipment (obviously I'm one of them), and none of us paid $200 for our sticks. Well, one guy did, but he's retired and bought an X:60 when it was new and has been using it for two years now.

And most of the teams we play, guys tend to use the $100-150 sticks if they care about their gear. Only a handful of players show up with matching $200 sticks and they're usually pretty good.

There's way more guys using old aluminum shafts with ratty wood blades and a lot of guys (including one on my team) using friggin wood sticks with ABS blades meant for road hockey. And most of these guys are pretty bad. I mean, I'd love to say there's guys in my league who used 5030's and bomb their shots but most of them just swat at the puck.
I probably play less than most people, especially since creeping into my late 30s. I went all out bought a Stealth RS in 2011. I've been loyal to Easton for years and seeing that I had a chance to get a hold of a stick that wasn't available to the public at the time, I went all in and paid $200 for it. I still have no regrets about it, but I don't foresee myself doing that again. Barring anybody stepping on my stick or somebody falling on it, I see myself having that stick for awhile.

Guy that I still play inline with actually goes out of his way to find people with aluminum shafts and see if they'll sell. I found an old one in my garage last year and ended up just giving it to him. Dude has a cannon with an aluminum stick, but is all over the place with the new one-piece sticks.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:15 AM
  #365
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,837
vCash: 500
Such a busy weekend I forgot to spray my stick for tonight's game. So I might just load up the ghetto looking multicolor shaft and roll with it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:06 AM
  #366
PumpkinBomb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Question for you guys:

I use a 65 flex, and have the option to buy some clearance older model stick (Easton S17, S19 or older bauer high ends) or for the same price I can get some newer sticks like the Mako M2 or M5, or the non-top of the line eastons/bauers for around $100-150.

Would i be better off getting the higher end, older model sticks, or are the new ones, in spite of not being top of the line, better than the older model high ends?

I apologize if this has been answered repeatedly already.

thanks.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:14 AM
  #367
AIREAYE
Registered User
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,133
vCash: 500
Definitely older high ends, no question. Just don't get a flex or something that is drastically different than the one you prefer, unless you want to experiment. A properly spec'd mid end stick will work better than a top end stick that is too stiff or too whippy, regardless of price.

Now where can you get this S17? :p

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:27 AM
  #368
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,379
vCash: 500
I use an older stick... Got it for like 90 dollars. It's a swizzle by warrior but for for fun leagues and for prize leagues it's good. I hate paying 200 dollars for sticks. I usually use wood ones too...

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:29 AM
  #369
PumpkinBomb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Definitely older high ends, no question. Just don't get a flex or something that is drastically different than the one you prefer, unless you want to experiment. A properly spec'd mid end stick will work better than a top end stick that is too stiff or too whippy, regardless of price.

Now where can you get this S17? :p
Believe it or not, there's this sportschek by my house that must be a place where old sticks go to die. They have tons of these older model stick, especially in the intermediate flex (which is what I use) on for really cheap prices.

I've heard the S17 is better than the S19 for wrist shots. Any truth to that? I never take slap shots, and with a whippy stick i get a pretty awesome wrist shot on my EQ 50. (65 flex hall curve). My complaint with the EQ 50 is, the stick doesn't feel like it snaps back to form after. (If that makes any sense). So i feel like i'm losing a lot on my shot. Also, at first it could take a pass really well but i've had it for a season and a bit now and passes are starting to bounce off my stick a lot, so i think it's time for a new one.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:58 AM
  #370
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,837
vCash: 500
Well, if the EQ50 didn't work for you, the Stealths might. They have different kick points. Usually you prefer either mid or low kick, and sounds like you might like low kick sticks. Both S17 and S19 had good reputations for shooting but I believe the S19's were universally more durable.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:40 AM
  #371
PumpkinBomb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
So if anyone is in Calgary, the Sportschek at Deerfoot mall has some RH S17's (int flex) on clearance. Unfortunately I'm a LH. I found an S19 lefty but it was $170 and i don't want to pay that much, especially since pro hockey life has some warrior dolo's on for $100 right now.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:13 PM
  #372
PumpkinBomb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Ended up buying a Warrior Dolomite DD, 70 flex Toews curve.

Thanks for your help Jarick. What you said about wanting lower kick points really resonated with me. In the store I tried an Easton S17, Easton ST, Easton Mako M3, Sherwood T90, Bauer X50 (or is 5.0?), and the dolomite.

The Dolomite felt amazing, and i liked my shots (although it's hard to tell on those fibre glass things).

Although it's 70 flex and i'm used of an uncut 65 (likely 60 flex), i felt like the warrior had more whip to it, which i liked.

Hopefully it can take a pass, as my Eq, the last 1/2 season i couldn't accept a pass.

I'll get the chance to use the dolomite tomorrow night.

The Toews curve seems a little more intense than my Hall curve, but i care more about the other parts of sticks than the curves.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:01 PM
  #373
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
Pricing sticks at $300 is a good way to make people feel like their $150 sticks are not that expensive, if you know what I mean.
This post needs more love. For the most part, consumers have no idea what any product "should cost," we simply try to determine value by comparing it to other products. If there were no sticks that cost more than $100, most of us would think $100 was too much to spend on a stick. With the most expensive sticks at $250+, and sticks with only marginally worse performance at $100-150, it makes the $100-150 sticks seem like a good deal. In the wood stick days $20 was a standard price for a stick, $30 was pricey, and $40 was nuts. Obviously it's a different product now, but there was still a time (not that long ago) when $40 was a tonne of money for a stick.

I work for a software company, and this is a very common pricing strategy in the software world (especially among SaaS companies) - have a high top price point to encourage people to buy your still-fairly-pricey mid price point product, which is the real money maker. Plus for the people who are willing to pay more, you get to make more from them too.

Out of curiosity, does anyone remember how much a top of the line OPS was when they first came out? I seem to remember it was around $100-150? I'll bet production costs have come down dramatically since then too.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:35 AM
  #374
American in Paris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
Agreed. Also a common practice in the pricing of wine on restaurant menus.

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:13 AM
  #375
Canadian Chris
Registered User
 
Canadian Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,186
vCash: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
This post needs more love. For the most part, consumers have no idea what any product "should cost," we simply try to determine value by comparing it to other products. If there were no sticks that cost more than $100, most of us would think $100 was too much to spend on a stick. With the most expensive sticks at $250+, and sticks with only marginally worse performance at $100-150, it makes the $100-150 sticks seem like a good deal. In the wood stick days $20 was a standard price for a stick, $30 was pricey, and $40 was nuts. Obviously it's a different product now, but there was still a time (not that long ago) when $40 was a tonne of money for a stick.

I work for a software company, and this is a very common pricing strategy in the software world (especially among SaaS companies) - have a high top price point to encourage people to buy your still-fairly-pricey mid price point product, which is the real money maker. Plus for the people who are willing to pay more, you get to make more from them too.

Out of curiosity, does anyone remember how much a top of the line OPS was when they first came out? I seem to remember it was around $100-150? I'll bet production costs have come down dramatically since then too.
I remember buying the gold, not the yellow, grip synergy...and it was $220. Believe the silver original synergy came in around the $180-200 mark.

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.