Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Visitor's Guide to Boston

Old
04-15-2013, 12:56 PM
ShoShaun19

vCash: 500
I went to Boston for my first time last summer (first week of August) I absolutely loved the city! However, during that time I did all the very touristy things- The duck tour, Freedom Trail, Cheers, visited the Aquarium and we were super happy to do the Fenway Park Tour and catch a Red Sox game (The Red Sox are why my family and I have decided to make it a point to go yearly, we have been big Red Sox fans and were thrilled to actually catch a game)

Just wondering if you guys had any tips or ideas of other places, or activities to do? We will be going again the first week of August.

ShoShaun19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:35 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoShaun19 View Post
I went to Boston for my first time last summer (first week of August) I absolutely loved the city! However, during that time I did all the very touristy things- The duck tour, Freedom Trail, Cheers, visited the Aquarium and we were super happy to do the Fenway Park Tour and catch a Red Sox game (The Red Sox are why my family and I have decided to make it a point to go yearly, we have been big Red Sox fans and were thrilled to actually catch a game)

Just wondering if you guys had any tips or ideas of other places, or activities to do? We will be going again the first week of August.

If you get outside the city, theres a lot more to see and do. If you have a car that helps. I mentioned a few places in older threads of mine that me be of assistance.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:44 AM
tragos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoShaun19 View Post

Do you have children travelling with you? How old? Will you have a car?

tragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:31 PM
ShoShaun19

No children travelling with us, there are 6 of us going (my parents, who are in their 50's, and my siblings and significant others, ages 25-28) Looks like we will have a car for the trip.

Also want to add in light of yesterdays events, my family and I are devastated. We all fell in love with your city, and can not wait to go back! Keep strong

ShoShaun19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:26 PM
GloveSave1
-44-

Does anyone know when the event parking rate begins at Government Center Parking Garage? I'd love to hit The Fours with the fam before the game, and want to get there early enough to take it easy.

Trying to decide between TD Parking and Government Center. TD is $34 and starts 2.5 hours before game time. I'd like to be at the game for warm ups...so if Government Center's Event Rate was earlier in the afternoon, i'd probably go for that.

I guess I could just go whenever and pay the $54 max at the Garden. $54 bucks for parking just sucks.

Trying to be smarter. Heh.

Thanks.

GloveSave1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:17 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave1 View Post
Does anyone know when the event parking rate begins at Government Center Parking Garage? I'd love to hit The Fours with the fam before the game, and want to get there early enough to take it easy.

Trying to decide between TD Parking and Government Center. TD is $34 and starts 2.5 hours before game time. I'd like to be at the game for warm ups...so if Government Center's Event Rate was earlier in the afternoon, i'd probably go for that.

I guess I could just go whenever and pay the $54 max at the Garden. $54 bucks for parking just sucks.

Trying to be smarter. Heh.

Thanks.
There are many private smaller lots throughout the north station area that offer more convenience and affordability. Unfortunately if you don't know where you are going it will be tough. I don't know what time event parking starts at the Government center but I HATE parking at the Garden because it takes for ever to get out after a game.

Also depending on where you are coming from a lot of people park at different commuter stations and take the train into North Station. Either way I would avoid parking at the Garden.

Last edited by du5566*: 04-16-2013 at 10:28 PM.
du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:45 AM
GloveSave1
-44-

Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
There are many private smaller lots throughout the north station area that offer more convenience and affordability. Unfortunately if you don't know where you are going it will be tough. I don't know what time event parking starts at the Government center but I HATE parking at the Garden because it takes for ever to get out after a game.

Also depending on where you are coming from a lot of people park at different commuter stations and take the train into North Station. Either way I would avoid parking at the Garden.
Thanks!

I've lived in Boston and know the area well. Just trying to mix convienance and affordability. I've done everything from parking on the street (getting towed and racing to Southie before the impound closes as 11:30p haha) to Cambridge Side, to the T to various desinations. Can't say I've parked in the side lots.

There's something to be said about Garden parking. While you do wait in your car trying to get out, once you're out - it's a pretty easy dash to Pike East.

If you're not waiting in your car in the Garden, you're walking to your car or just starting the crowded T trek.

My parents would say that they perfer the Garden, for what it's worth. Easiest in terms of least amount of time walking outside the car in the elements. Lol.

Pros and cons.

**** it, at this point. I go to a Bruins game once every few years, I'm not going to over-think it...Just do what I want...haha...and give the Garden their 54 bones...

Let it be the $400+ experience that it is willed to be.

Last edited by GloveSave1: 04-17-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old
04-18-2013, 09:40 PM
BaBaBruins
Tuukka Time.

Ok locals its crunch time before we depart for Boston in the a.m. and I have a few last minute questions now that our itinerary is set....

My wife & I will be attending the game tomorrow evening.....where do the best B's fans frequent after a good ol' Friday night game in the area of the Garden?

Saturday we will be catching Greg Fitzimmonds at Nicks comedy shop on Warrenton Street, we would love to go to a nice (vegetarian friendly) Italian restaurant in the area prior to the comedy club, any recommendations?

And finally.....any pointers leading us to a nice pub or pubs in the area of either Nick's comedy shop OR near our hotel (The Residence Inn, Cambridge Center, Boston) to head to after the comedy show?

Thanks for any and all recommendations!

BaBaBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:06 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevHortonHeat View Post
Ok locals its crunch time before we depart for Boston in the a.m. and I have a few last minute questions now that our itinerary is set....

My wife & I will be attending the game tomorrow evening.....where do the best B's fans frequent after a good ol' Friday night game in the area of the Garden?

Saturday we will be catching Greg Fitzimmonds at Nicks comedy shop on Warrenton Street, we would love to go to a nice (vegetarian friendly) Italian restaurant in the area prior to the comedy club, any recommendations?

And finally.....any pointers leading us to a nice pub or pubs in the area of either Nick's comedy shop OR near our hotel (The Residence Inn, Cambridge Center, Boston) to head to after the comedy show?

People usually hit the bars across the street from the Garden before / after the game.

There is a Legal Sea foods right around the corner from your hotel. Its more of a restaurant but they do have a bar.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:39 AM
GloveSave1
-44-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevHortonHeat View Post

As for pubs, I would recommend Fours (right off a side street from The Garden) and Harp (right across the street).

Fours, more for all around everything. The stuff on the wall is a must see collection of Boston sports collectables. Great stuff. Nice place. Quality food and drink.

Harp might be more of the stand around, crowded mass-gathering of Bruins fans, you might be looking for...

I walked by it the other day on my way to Fours and there were tuns of Bruins fans in there pre-gaming it...as it was a nice sunny day...the giant windows were removed and it was open air to the street...

Old
04-22-2013, 06:05 PM
BaBaBruins
Tuukka Time.

Not sure where to post this so I'll put it in here.....

I just wanted to say the wife & I had a great time at the game Saturday & during our first trip to the city of Boston, it was very nice to see everyone & everything resuming a sense of normalcy less than 24 hours after the mayhem (we stayed in Cambridge very close to where the entire horrific ending to the apprehension of the suspects began & everyone appeared to be in good spirits despite the events just a day before). It was unfortunate that we had to cut our trip short due to the circumstances but I am quite sure we will return & get to see much more of the city in the future.

I also just scored 2 center ice balcony seats to tomorrow nights game in Philly for a whopping $26/ea off stubhub.

Philly is only an hour and a half from me & I figure I'll take advantage of the STH fire sale going on there to see the B's one last time before the season ends.....maybe this time they can win ....it sure would be interesting to see Jagr light one up against them!

BaBaBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Watch for the Yeti

Didn't know where else to post this, and I didn't think it deserved its own thread.

Me and a couple of friends will be making our way to Jerry Remy's in Fall River on Sunday to watch the game. I've been there a couple of times and am familiar with the place. I know it's a baseball oriented restaurant, but has anyone been to Remy's in Fall River to watch a Bruins playoff game? How packed is it, and how is the atmosphere in there? Greater Providence/Fall River has alot of B's fans, so in guessing that theirs a good crowd in their, at least for this area.

Thanks guys!

Watch for the Yeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:26 PM
cneil99

Sorry I'm just new to this thread but I'm curious if there are any recommendations of places to stay in Boston. I'm looking to go in September to see the patriots and Red Sox. Looking at expedia I have no idea where to stay like financial district, back bay, theatre district, Cambridge, south Boston waterfront, and beacon hill. Any suggestion of location or specific hotel?

cneil99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:33 PM
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 24.6%

Theatre district is great for the city, not far from fenway but honestly if youre doing pats and sox, I'd look a little more south of the city. Save money and time

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:17 PM
cooker24

I'm going to be visiting Boston in mid-July for the second time. This time, I'll be with family. It's a long shot, but does anyone have an inside track or any advice on getting onto The Country Club at Brookline?

I work at a local golf course and will ask the Head Pro to call them on my behalf, but I'm not too confident that will do much, if anything, to get my brother and I on there. We're low handicap golfers with a lot of competitive golf experience, but neither of us has connections in that area to get us onto the course. Any and all advice or help is much appreciated. I know it's a long shot, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Last edited by cooker24: 05-22-2013 at 02:38 PM.
cooker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 03:03 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker24 View Post
I'm going to be visiting Boston in mid-July for the second time. This time, I'll be with family. It's a long shot, but does anyone have an inside track or any advice on getting onto The Country Club at Brookline?

I work at a local golf course and will ask the Head Pro to call them on my behalf, but I'm not too confident that will do much, if anything, to get my brother and I on there. We're low handicap golfers with a lot of competitive golf experience, but neither of us has connections in that area to get us onto the course. Any and all advice or help is much appreciated. I know it's a long shot, but it doesn't hurt to try.
You could also try the Belmont Country Club. Its a nice course, I caddied there a few times when I was a kid.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:15 PM
tragos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneil99 View Post
Sorry I'm just new to this thread but I'm curious if there are any recommendations of places to stay in Boston. I'm looking to go in September to see the patriots and Red Sox. Looking at expedia I have no idea where to stay like financial district, back bay, theatre district, Cambridge, south Boston waterfront, and beacon hill. Any suggestion of location or specific hotel?
Unlike many cities, if you're staying in Boston, none of these places are that far away from each other. It's very easy to get around on the train. Just be sure that your hotel is walking distance to a train station, and you're set. One thing to look out for is if a hotel says it's in Boston but is actually in Dorchester / South Bay area, which while it saves you money may not give you the Boston experience you're looking for.

If you'll be driving to the Patriots game, however, it might be wise to stay outside of the city in Quincy or Braintree for a much cheaper rate, as Foxboro is nowhere near downtown Boston.

tragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Wiggleboom

I guess this is the right place to post this:

I live in Vancouver but will luckily be in Montreal for a few days around June 17. My brother, 6 year-old son and I will be driving down to Boston to see game 3! I am so excited - I have only ever seen 1 game before in Boston (in 2010 when they scored 3 SHG against Carolina on the same PK). I went to game 2 of the SCF in Vancouver and I am so looking forward to seeing a SCF game not being the enemy!

Anyways, I do not know Boston well and have a few questions.

1. Driving in from Montreal on the Monday around 2:00 pm or so - any particular traffic areas to avoid? Our hotel is walking distance from the Garden.

2. Recommendation for dinner near the Garden? (I am with my 6 year-old son)

3. If we have a few hours to kill before the game, where should we go to check out the city (within walking distance of the Garden)?

4. What time do the doors open at the arena?

Thanks so much for any help! I can't wait for this - it is a like a religious pilgrimage! Those of you who live in/near Boston have no idea how lucky you are to be able to see the team so easily!

Wiggleboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Muckr

I am going to be in the Biston region. Is there anywhere in the city or the outskirts (I 90) west on my travel route that I can get some? Thanks.

Muckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:17 AM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
I am going to be in the Biston region. Is there anywhere in the city or the outskirts (I 90) west on my travel route that I can get some? Thanks.
Mattapan

N o o d l e s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:08 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggleboom View Post
I guess this is the right place to post this:

I live in Vancouver but will luckily be in Montreal for a few days around June 17. My brother, 6 year-old son and I will be driving down to Boston to see game 3! I am so excited - I have only ever seen 1 game before in Boston (in 2010 when they scored 3 SHG against Carolina on the same PK). I went to game 2 of the SCF in Vancouver and I am so looking forward to seeing a SCF game not being the enemy!

Anyways, I do not know Boston well and have a few questions.

1. Driving in from Montreal on the Monday around 2:00 pm or so - any particular traffic areas to avoid? Our hotel is walking distance from the Garden.

3. If we have a few hours to kill before the game, where should we go to check out the city (within walking distance of the Garden)?

Thanks so much for any help! I can't wait for this - it is a like a religious pilgrimage! Those of you who live in/near Boston have no idea how lucky you are to be able to see the team so easily!
1 - In terms of traffic, you will be arriving in the city after 7pm, so you miss most of the major traffic, but there will still be some residual volume.

2 - There are alot of bars and restaurants across from the garden, but its been awhile since I dined in that area, I am sure someone else will chime in.

3 - You can walk to the North End or the waterfront before the game, its not too far and its usually cooler down by the water.

4 - East and West Premium Doors open two hours prior to game time; General doors open one hour prior to game time unless otherwise specifically noted. - See more at: http://www.tdgarden.com/td-garden-po....hS3FDEIt.dpuf

Old
06-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Tuukka Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggleboom View Post

Do you mean arriving in Boston around 2PM or leaving Montreal around 2PM.

If leaving then, you're taking a HUGE risk IMO. You're looking at a 5 and a half hour drive in good traffic conditions. If there are any significant backups anywhere on your route (and I've seen it backed up 5+ miles into town from the north on I93 with some regularity around after 6PM even in non-event days....all it takes is one accident - even if it's on 95 anywhere near the interchange in Woburn - or a backup up toll to screw up everything), you could easily miss some of the game.

I'd honestly leave no later than noon, especially if you're planning on having dinner beforehand. My 7 year old boy likes Boston Beerworks and Halftime Pizza, which are basically right across from the Garden, but there are a ton of decent places all around there with essentially the same menus.

Tuukka Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Wiggleboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka Time View Post
Do you mean arriving in Boston around 2PM or leaving Montreal around 2PM.

If leaving then, you're taking a HUGE risk IMO. You're looking at a 5 and a half hour drive in good traffic conditions. If there are any significant backups anywhere on your route (and I've seen it backed up 5+ miles into town from the north on I93 with some regularity around after 6PM even in non-event days....all it takes is one accident - even if it's on 95 anywhere near the interchange in Woburn - or a backup up toll to screw up everything), you could easily miss some of the game.

I'd honestly leave no later than noon, especially if you're planning on having dinner beforehand. My 7 year old boy likes Boston Beerworks and Halftime Pizza, which are basically right across from the Garden, but there are a ton of decent places all around there with essentially the same menus.
Thanks for the advice! I meant arriving at 2:00 pm - hoping to leave Mtl by 9:00 am. I want to get there asap to enjoy the city before the game - only been there 3 times before. Good to know about the restaurant!

Wiggleboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:32 PM
NJBRUINS68
Missing 91, 55 & 22

Plan on coming to Boston Monday for Game 3. I have stayed previously at Nine Zero, Copley Square and others that I don't recall.

Looking for a nice hotel near the Back Bay or closer to TD Garden.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

NJBRUINS68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:23 PM
NJBRUINS68
Missing 91, 55 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBRUINS68 View Post
Plan on coming to Boston Monday for Game 3. I have stayed previously at Nine Zero, Copley Square and others that I don't recall.

Looking for a nice hotel near the Back Bay or closer to TD Garden.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Never Mind .. room booked - just need tix now.... thanks anyway!

NJBRUINS68 is offline   Reply With Quote