HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Reduxs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
EDM fan here if it comes down to PHI picking and Monahan and Nurse are available, who do you guys pick. It seems you guys are high on Nurse and on the EDM board we are high on Monahan.
I'd personally draft Monahan. He'd easily be a top 5 pick (and still may be) if he weren't on such a bad team. I'm not as high on Nurse as some people are here. He's a boom or bust prospect, and people are falling in love with him because of his size, physical tools and potential. Typically those players don't hit their ceilings. Monahan has been compared to Eric Staal, who I'd take on this team any day of the week. We can't draft on need, because chances are these players aren't going to contribute for a couple of years (especially Nurse). It's impossible to predict what our needs will be 2-3 years down the road.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

[QUOTE=LegionOfDoom91;64061625]Well I understand it from an organization stand point also. While he's playing against men you also run the risk of losing him over there. The longer he stays there the more opportunities his KHL team gets to convince him to stay by offering him crazy money and other benefits that the NHL can't provide. Then you have the risk of Nichuskin himself getting too comfortable over there and wanting to stay home.

I can't really see the latter happening but the former definitely will and for that I understand why the Flyers wouldn't take a chance on him unless they know they can get him over here before his contract ends.

Nichushkin is an incredible talent and I would be happy if the Flyers drafted him but I wouldn't be pissed off if they didn't also.[/QUOTE]

If he is still there when they pick, that will be one very hard decision.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
You're lying if you're telling me you can't see the Flyers pulling Sean Monahan out of their ass.
I would love it. Kid would look good here

Old
04-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
EDM fan here if it comes down to PHI picking and Monahan and Nurse are available, who do you guys pick. It seems you guys are high on Nurse and on the EDM board we are high on Monahan.
I think the Flyer's brass are high on Monahon to and that is what counts.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:52 PM
RoDu

who is Monahan?

Old
04-16-2013, 09:54 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
who is Monahan?
Mike Richards... just ask the Philadelphia media or any HFBoards member after we draft him.

Can you imagine a team drafting Mike Richards three years in a row after trading him?

Old
04-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Jack de la Hoya

I really, really hope they trade the pick is Monahan is BPA. There are a number of teams that could use a blue-chip, two-way center, but we're not one of them.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Monahan has drawn comparisons to Eric Staal and Jonathan Toews

04-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I guess I just don't see the offensive upside--but I've only seem glimpses, and I get that's on a pretty awful team.

That said, I know he's well-regarded. I hope if he falls to us, we look to swap him for a young defenseman.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:14 PM
daynus

this team

with an a, ahl defense,reclamation project from columbus in goal, and is he looking good, and the whole team doing a lot more correct than wrong, and these dudes look hungry, and they are causing a lot of pain for these so called teams, i could see us going 2-3 in the final 5 games.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:21 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
First, I personally covet Nurse in a biblically inappropriate way, as the first step in building up the sucking vortex of top-end defensive prospects. We should sign an agreement that Nurse = Philadelphia and Monahan = Edmonton, so both teams are secure over 2 possible draft-order permutations.

That being said, if there was ever a "Fixed it for you" moment on here -- which is entirely against the rules, kids! -- I'm looking at it.

What if we make it a guessing game?

Quote:
On the EDM board we are high on ...
a) Oil Sands fumes
b) The blood we collectively sucked greedily from Steve Tambellini's rotting entrails after the public execution in the West Edmonton Mall
c) Whatever is blowing over the Rockies from Vancouver, those ****ing hippies
d) The prospect of the #1 overall pick for the fourth straight year, and the sound of dry heaving from 29 other hockey cities
e) Whatever Kevin Lowe tells us to get high on
f) The shoe polish we've had to drink to keep from freezing to death when it's -33 degrees in late April
g) Life ... of the cheap labourers still pouring in from the other 9 provinces
h) The prospect of the Eskimos going all the way to the Grey Cup
i) The Flames sucking worse than we are

Old
04-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Krishna

Edmonton would be stupid to draft another C

Take a D man. That team isn't getting much better without D

Old
04-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Edmonton would be stupid to draft another C

Take a D man. That team isn't getting much better without D
They are really thin are C in terms of organizational depth--and they have no one who projects to a true 2C--just Gagner, who is RFA after next season. They have a boatload of decent defensive prospects--perhaps no true #1s--and if they win the lottery, they will take Jones, but Monahan might make more sense for them than Nurse.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:37 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Just completed - the most in depth mock draft on the planet up at THW. Okay, well maybe not on the planet. Heck, maybe not even in North America. But...it is pretty in depth...and it is pretty awesome from Flyers vantage point.

Some story lines:
- 22 yrs after draft Foppa 6th overall, Flayers nab another Swede, but contemplate moving up to grab nephew of Donovan McNabb
- Flames draft 2 kids born in Calgary plus an offensive dynamo
- Habs draft prospect from la belle province
- Oilers nab another Russian
- Leafs draft son of enforcer
- So do Jets!
- Sens get an ice warrior
- Avs brings a big blueliner back home! (not that much of a shock).
- Devils cash in on Grigorenko situation take 2.
- Caps refurbish their Swedish prospect ranks

Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-nhl...april-edition/

Flyers strike gold?

Old
04-16-2013, 10:48 PM
daynus

sorry fellas

i live 6.5 hrs from edmonton and i hates the eskies, and i could care less about the oilers.i live over 30 hrs away from philly, and they are my boys and will be for ever. i have no recommendations for them how to fix their mess. getting 3 number 1s, is nothing to be proud of, unless you hit home runs and set your team up for a decade. they didnt, so i dont feel bad for them. i got my co-worker who is a flames fan, and my boss who is an oilers fan, and told them, calgary is gonna rebuild,rebound quicker than edmonton, they need a goal scorer up front bad mackinnon or drouin. but they have size,strength,grit up front, unlike edmonton. so one guy smiled and one guy laughed. but i catch the drift, you guys want us to pick higher than edmonton and grab a certain guy. we may we may not, but we will increase our depth and quality from this draft. and now that we have ourselves a goalie, good young talent up front, we are sitting in a much better position than we thought we were.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
They are really thin are C in terms of organizational depth--and they have no one who projects to a true 2C--just Gagner, who is RFA after next season. They have a boatload of decent defensive prospects--perhaps no true #1s--and if they win the lottery, they will take Jones, but Monahan might make more sense for them than Nurse.
I thought if a team won the lottery three times in a row they couldn't win it a fourth? Thought someone told me that or I read that somewhere... not entirely sure though.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:13 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
I thought if a team won the lottery three times in a row they couldn't win it a fourth? Thought someone told me that or I read that somewhere... not entirely sure though.
No such rule exists.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Forcing our way out of a top 10 pick....

Old
04-17-2013, 07:22 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
It should be a rule.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:24 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduxs View Post
I'd personally draft Monahan. He'd easily be a top 5 pick (and still may be) if he weren't on such a bad team. I'm not as high on Nurse as some people are here. He's a boom or bust prospect, and people are falling in love with him because of his size, physical tools and potential. Typically those players don't hit their ceilings. Monahan has been compared to Eric Staal, who I'd take on this team any day of the week. We can't draft on need, because chances are these players aren't going to contribute for a couple of years (especially Nurse). It's impossible to predict what our needs will be 2-3 years down the road.
Huh? What else should people fall in love with when talking about an 18 year old prospect? He's big, talented, physical, and has a high potential. Those guys don't usually reach their potential? I've got news for you, Monahan is not going to help on this team for a couple years either, unless he outplays some combination Giroux, Schenn, Laughton, Couturier, and Cousins in camp, and even then I am not so sure the Flyers would use a year on his contract to have him in the NHL next year.

Quote:
Yeah I don't think that is true (at least I never heard of it).

Old
04-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Huh? What else should people fall in love with when talking about an 18 year old prospect? He's big, talented, physical, and has a high potential. Those guys don't usually reach their potential? I've got news for you, Monahan is not going to help on this team for a couple years either, unless he outplays some combination Giroux, Schenn, Laughton, Couturier, and Cousins in camp, and even then I am not so sure the Flyers would use a year on his contract to have him in the NHL next year.
Hockey sense, positioning, and vision.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Hockey sense, positioning, and vision.
Which he also has from what I have read.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Flyotes
Sorry Hinkie.

Quote:

Always want more of that.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:51 AM
bennysflyers16

Watched a bit of the Oilers yest, they are full on tanking again, just a brutally built hockey team.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:04 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

I could see us maybe trading a piece at the draft for another 1st if ours is around #10. A defenseman like Zadorov and a winger would be great to come away with.

Or Maybe they trade Hartnell or Read for a young defenseman like Gormley or Rundblad if the BPA when we pick is a forward.

I honestly could see them trading Couts though, because I think they're very high on Laughton. I just hope it's not for someone like Yandle...

Closed Thread