HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Fire Krueger

Old
04-16-2013, 10:29 PM
#ualberta

vCash: 500
For the love of god MacT
Reconsider and reevaluate the coaching staff I really want a new coach moving forward for next season

MacT said coaching was not to blame but Krueger will not take us to the promised land

DO YOU HEAR ME MACT

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:50 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
I am on board. Fire Krueger. He's just mishandling so much right now, I can't watch.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:39 AM
russ99

Again, there does seem to be issues with motivation, but in today's game, that blood and guts Mike Keenan act just doesn't work anymore with younger players.

MacT said it best, there's a lack of energy in the room, and that's about our lack of veteran leadership on the roster, especially considering that said veterans are the ones who are underperforming the most.

Let's see what next season brings, both on the roster and possible change of assistants before punting a good coach who's had success at many levels.

russ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:20 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

we lost a game #firemact

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:44 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
day of hiring - said he'd be fired within 1-2 seasons. they'll totally roll with him into next year and then he'll be fired when they stink it up again. Mac T will make some lateral signings and trades this off season that people will get stoked on for a few seconds. those players will under perform as usual because the Kid Core isnt mature enough to take on the full brunt of carrying a team.

repeat until kids take the complete "next step".

he'll be replaced by Kelly Buchberger for the complete Rich Pals playing Fantasy Hockey together for Real Money organization. count on it.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Nope, Ralph Krueger was the special teams coach last season when we finished top 5 as well.

The guy still can't coach 5v5 for **** though.
Could it be that the players aren't good enough to battle 5 v 5?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
For the love of god MacT
Reconsider and reevaluate the coaching staff I really want a new coach moving forward for next season

MacT said coaching was not to blame but Krueger will not take us to the promised land

DO YOU HEAR ME MACT
Um.... i doubt that capitalizing your demand on an Internet hockey board will make Mact hear your request any more than not....

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:05 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Could it be that the players aren't good enough to battle 5 v 5?
Systems play can make a team better 5 v 5. It's incredibly puzzling and tough to accept that our special teams are great but our 5 v 5 is so bad. I think we're 10th in the league on PK and 3rd or something on PP. Makes you think that the players can battle but there's something missing in the coach's system.

They can attack when they're a man up, they can defend when they're a man down but stink up the joint when even.....makes no sense to blame the players without blaming the coach along with them.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:07 PM
GMofOilers

Fire Krueger and Hire Buckberger?

Thats the next option, and I dont like it.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:09 PM
OilDrop37

I wanna like Krueger, I really do but whenever I see Smyth on the ice I'm like, nope, dude doesn't have it, gotta make a change.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:11 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post

IMO hire Lindy Ruff to be the head coach, fire the assistant coaches and demote Krueger to an assistant coach if Ruff will accept it. Krueger's special teams strategies are great but for even strength we look like the Swiss national team. Ruff should be able to fix that.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:14 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:

Why not? Bring it on I say. One step closer to getting rid of this entire putrid crew.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:21 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Why not? Bring it on I say. One step closer to getting rid of this entire putrid crew.
I just dont like this option, than we have a rookie GM, rookie coach, lead by a president that only has cup rings as a player.

FML I thought we turned on the corner on former players

Old
04-17-2013, 02:26 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
Systems play can make a team better 5 v 5. It's incredibly puzzling and tough to accept that our special teams are great but our 5 v 5 is so bad. I think we're 10th in the league on PK and 3rd or something on PP. Makes you think that the players can battle but there's something missing in the coach's system.

They can attack when they're a man up, they can defend when they're a man down but stink up the joint when even.....makes no sense to blame the players without blaming the coach along with them.
With PP and PK, there isn't as many man to man battles for the puck, more similar to the Eurpean style of hockey. With 5v5 in the NHL, there are a lot of puck battles. That is why I believe things are working on special teams, but why we fail at 5v5. We don't have many players that are good at winning puck battles. It's not Krueger's fault that the team has been put together poorly.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:34 PM
timekeep

Quote:
I just dont like this option, than we have a rookie GM, rookie coach, lead by a president that only has cup rings as a player.

FML I thought we turned on the corner on former players
Couch Malph is a rookie coach.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:38 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Couch Malph is a rookie coach.
I know, im not opposed to firing Kruger, but you know who hes getting replaced by, and thats Buchberger, no doubt about it.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:38 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Exactly painful as it sounds get them out of here one by one it could take years though unfortunately

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:59 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/4/17...ps-ralph-malph

I like the quote from the scout. "I'm not going to give away the store here, but there are no other teams in the league playing the [Edmonton] system."

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:35 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
With PP and PK, there isn't as many man to man battles for the puck, more similar to the Eurpean style of hockey. With 5v5 in the NHL, there are a lot of puck battles. That is why I believe things are working on special teams, but why we fail at 5v5. We don't have many players that are good at winning puck battles. It's not Krueger's fault that the team has been put together poorly.
I agree we need to win more puck battles in general but I'm sorry I can't agree with losing puck battles as the main reason we suck so hard 5 on 5. Most of the game is played even strength so obviously there are going to be more puck battles. Clearly it's the bottom 6 forwards, our D, bad goaltending sometimes and most importantly our system.

Overtime is played 4 on 4 and we're 4-7 in games that extend beyond 3 periods (2 wins in SO and 3 SO losses). Although that's still even strength, the more wide open style or as you brand it "European style" should favor the Oilers but that isn't the case either.

I think it's safe to say most Oiler fans agree we don't have the proper personnel to win in the lineup so that handicaps the team right off the bat. But imo we also don't play a system that maximizes success 5 on 5 and that fault lies with coaching. Look at the number of games where there have been legitimate complaints that the team looked unprepared or they just got plain dominated by teams close to us in the standings. I will not simply say that's because we lose too many puck battles. Puck battles are a symptom.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:54 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post

I like the quote from the scout. "I'm not going to give away the store here, but there are no other teams in the league playing the [Edmonton] system."
That's a very good article and it's bang on. There are other things, like the zone entry against a trap style defense (particularly on the PP where it's a given) that the Oilers are similarly horrendous at and it seems to stem from a bad system in use.

Krueger seems to be trying too aggressively different approaches to things as a brand new coach in the league, where he should be building a solid, simple foundation and then building outwards from there with minor, slow tweaks towards the less common. At the very least, at this point given the problems the team has, he should be reeling things back in toward the simpler and safer.

Old
04-17-2013, 06:07 PM
#ualberta

You know Lindy Ruff is still available and he will have some experience with our players since he is coaching team canada

Old
04-17-2013, 06:30 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
You know Lindy Ruff is still available and he will have some experience with Kevin Lowe since he is coaching team canada
Fixed that for you. It means he might actually have a shot...

Old
04-17-2013, 07:32 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Fixed that for you. It means he might actually have a shot...
Oh yeah, i totally forgot Lowe was the assistant GM

Old
04-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:

I just read that .... I was on the fence with Ralph, but if the guy is that stubborn to employ a system that clearly doesn't work, then it's time to go. We need a dynamic coach capable of changing it up on the fly to counter the other guy; not a clown whose tactics are set in stone.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:

Damn that's a great article. If it's that easy to spot, then you know other teams are exploiting it.

Hell of a quote by the scout too.