HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Greene Cleared for Contact

Old
04-15-2013, 05:04 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Yep ... pretty much ... just wait until Matt Greene takes a roughing/holding/hooking penalty and all the usual suspects will come out of the woodworks screaming ... "Greene you idiot", "Neanderthal", "You F'ing Moron", etc.

I could even almost name names of those that will post this crap, it's childish and obviously does nothing to help anyone or improve the level of discussion during the GDT/PGT threads, it's just the COOL, hip thing to do I guess so many jump on board that bandwagon.
I agree.

I am hard on Lolerby though not a hater by any means but he is a serviceable young giant Dman who is still developing his trade. There are times when he plays very solid and poised. There are also times when you can clearly see the panic in his game. As time has gone on the panic moments are lessening and that is the way it goes for young/rookie d in the NHL. Big kids take longer period. It is a statement of fact so Killerbee is going to need time and guidence to come out but he has all the tools to do so and I think it is just a matter of time.

With MG and WM in the line up we would have JM as our #7 right now and A Mart would likely be right were he needs to be. Things don't work out the way we want them to and here we are. I like our D depth and potential more today then I did to start this season and Ellerby is a part of the reason why.

MG is going to be frustrating because he can be frustrating but we have just had a very in depth lesson in what we are like without him and hopefully all of us can now see him for what he is and how important it is to have him on the team.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:19 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
To be fair I dislike both equally and want Martinez to replace either one of them to unite our Greene/amart pair.
To be fair Martinez hasn't been all that great this season either, but I think some of that can be attributed to his injuries.

I think we are all a little spoiled. Most teams have at least one defenseman skating in their top 6 that is a notch below Ellerby and Muzzin.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:24 PM
kingsholygrail
Smug

Wonderful news for the Kings.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I think we are all a little spoiled. Most teams have at least one defenseman skating in their top 6 that is a notch below Ellerby and Muzzin.
YEP ... Hell we just traded one to Montreal for a 5th

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:30 PM
YP44

I think Ellerby has done serviceable. Same with Muzzin and Martinez.

YP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
To be fair Martinez hasn't been all that great this season either, but I think some of that can be attributed to his injuries.

I don't think it is about being spoiled. Who is going to be satisfied watching a player who forces errors? The guy is a comedy of errors. Ellerby handles the puck like it's a grenade, his passes are easily read and constantly intercepted, he continuously fails to clear the zone, he misses assignments, he gets beat by players who go wide against him: to summarize, Ellerby is a player who is lacking in hockey IQ.

We've seen this before with the likes of Joe Corvo and Randy Jones, but at the very least they were good at something, which is skating and creating offense. Ellerby isn't good at anything in particular. He's just a big body out there who rarely uses his size.

And this isn't a scapegoat being outcast thing. Let's call a spade a spade. How often do we see a shift from Ellerby where we're thankful that he's on the ice?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:45 PM
CandianKingsFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LombardiTool View Post
Not sure if I understand the hatred for Ellerby. Guess Kings fans always need a whiping boy and he drew the short straw. He is a young defenseman that hasnt been awful. Made some mistakes but no more than Muzzin.
Agreed

CandianKingsFan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:48 PM
CandianKingsFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingsand View Post
Ellerby as a whipping boy i think is warranted. At least muzzin follows up mistakes with great individual plays, like a big check, or a great pass or shot...Muzzin is capable of making game breaking plays. I'm ok with a GAFF here and there, we give doughty a pass for it, so why not muzzin? I don't want this team playing timid like they did under TM.

Ellerby is well capable of making mistakes..and then follows it up by.... MAYBE not making mistakes. He offers no toughness, he offers no offensive savvyness. he's a younger-ish big body that can skate decently...but my biggest complaint is that his hockey IQ just doesn't seem very high. He had a good 3 game stretch and i thought i saw him turning some sort of corner... I'm all for defenseman being invisible.. i think that can be a good thing... but Ellerby doesn't quite have the subtelties or hockey IQ to be invisible.

Would love to see ellerby scratched for Greener... muzzin / ellerby pairing makes me nervous... having greener on muzzin's wing will allow him to do things he has done earlier in the year that makes him effective and helps out this team.
I think Greene would be a good mentor for Ellerby

CandianKingsFan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
He's drawn the short straw because he has played some brutal defensive hockey, often gets trapped in his own zone and doesn't contribute anything offensively to make up for it, simple as that. His hockey IQ and ability with the puck are severely lacking. Every other defenseman on the Kings roster, including the one that got sent to MTL is a better defenseman than Ellerby. As such, naturally the guy is going to come under a lot of criticism.

It will be better for the team when he is not in the lineup and fortunately that appears to be coming soon. No player on this team should be beyond critique.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Ellerby has his derp moments but he's still playing and Martinez is eating popcorn upstairs.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:50 PM
FrozenKing18
Goongala.

Fantastic!

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:57 PM
KingsKnight
We're goin streaking

Good news everyone!

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
Good news everyone!

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:25 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Even when Greene makes dumb decisions, he makes up for them with his physicality, shot blocking, and PK ability. And leadership. Keaton doesn't do jack ****.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:23 AM
Bandit

I know we're all happy to get Greene back but we should be preparing ourselves for him to be rusty as ****. That being said, I'm sure he'll still block a shot or two with his face....

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:59 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I know we're all happy to get Greene back but we should be preparing ourselves for him to be rusty as ****. That being said, I'm sure he'll still block a shot or two with his face....
I thought he was terrible in the first game of the year, but then again he was playing severely hurt so I can't hold it against him. I really think if he can get 4 games in he'll be solid enough in the playoffs. Question for those who play as I have not in a league, is it easier for a defensemen to come off a layoff like this or a forward? I would tend to think d-men would have it easier as conditioning i would think would be a little less of a factor (still important, just not as much so as forwards).

If the Kings can beat San Jose, I say let Greene run loose in the remaining games as the kings should be able to take 4th place.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:59 AM
Aussie King

Awesome news. We've really missed him, especially on the PK.

Aussie King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:37 PM
YP44

I worry that i have over hyped his return. some of his bad penalties are starting to come back to me.

YP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Hatter
Microagression King

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingsand View Post
Great news:

Regehr -- Doughty
Scuderi -- Voynov
Greene -- Muzzin / Martinez
Muzzin will be GREAT paired with Greene.

Last edited by Hatter: 04-16-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Crosby87Bennett19fan
Ellerby fan too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LombardiTool View Post
Not sure if I understand the hatred for Ellerby. Guess Kings fans always need a whiping boy and he drew the short straw. He is a young defenseman that hasnt been awful. Made some mistakes but no more than Muzzin.
Problem is Muzzin seems to get away with it a little more. I don't know if its because Muzz is a rookie or if it is simply that Ells is the new whipping boy.

Crosby87Bennett19fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Crosby87Bennett19fan
Ellerby fan too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandianKingsFan14 View Post
I think Greene would be a good mentor for Ellerby
^ this. Greene has leadership skills and is a veteran. Everyone is saying that Muzzin and Amart were awful b/c they were paired with an unexpieriened player. The same could b said for why ellerby hasn't been the greatest either. Pairing him with Greene could really help his development

Old
04-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellerbyfan4 View Post
Problem is Muzzin seems to get away with it a little more. I don't know if its because Muzz is a rookie or if it is simply that Ells is the new whipping boy.
Muzzin does a lot of things that frustrate me too, but ultimately he does have offensive contributions that give him some slack. I don't think he should be playing with Ellerby, they are not good together. The pairing seems to highlight both their faults in a glaring manner.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Sacha Baron Corbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Muzzin does a lot of things that frustrate me too, but ultimately he does have offensive contributions that give him some slack. I don't think he should be playing with Ellerby, they are not good together. The pairing seems to highlight both their faults in a glaring manner.
I agree, I had no problem with Ellerby and thought Muzzin was doing great before they were paired together. I don't mind who plays with Greene, hopefully Sutter will rotate A-Mart, Muzz, and Keaton until they find the best pairing.

Sacha Baron Corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Crosby87Bennett19fan
Ellerby fan too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose of Sutter View Post
I agree, I had no problem with Ellerby and thought Muzzin was doing great before they were paired together. I don't mind who plays with Greene, hopefully Sutter will rotate A-Mart, Muzz, and Keaton until they find the best pairing.
see now that is a good idea. plus they need to ease greene in anyway and work on chemistry. Amart, Muzz and Ells could all benefit from playing with a steady, experienced, veteran like Greene

Old
04-17-2013, 12:17 AM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellerbyfan4 View Post
see now that is a good idea. plus they need to ease greene in anyway and work on chemistry. Amart, Muzz and Ells could all benefit from playing with a steady, experienced, veteran like Greene
Amart and Muzz, yes, Ellerby, not so much. It's nothing personal, but Muzz and Amart have some offensive ability whereas Ellerby is pretty much a SAH dman. Sutter likes to pair a SAH dman with a PMD.

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote