HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2013 Regular Season

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Clyde Donovan

vCash: 500
I don't understand why Adams didn't just start the 8th.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:47 PM
jml87

Well, apparently Utley can't get the day off cause if he doesn't hit, no one does. I don't know why Adams wasn't brought in to start, I still don't know why Brown is not playing RF, and I don't know why Charlie hasn't tried shaking up the lineup which has produced 8 runs in 4 games. I don't understand anything.

But #1 annoyance tonight, Kratz. He can't call a good game, he can't hit, he can't even block the ball (he doesn't block it with his body, he tries to catch it like a fool). He's just awful, not having Carlos back there is killing us.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:06 PM
zarley zelepukin

Bad luck for Horst, as neither of the hits he gave up was well struck. And it's not like Adams helped anything by giving up two hits when he came in. Still, I think it made more sense to use Adams in that situation, against that part of the lineup.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:53 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Donovan View Post
I don't understand why Adams didn't just start the 8th.
Nobody he knows baseball knows. Phillies need to shake things up cause this lineup isn't scoring.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:49 PM
jml87

I still feel like this team could compete with a better manager behind them. Charlie's gameday decisions are just not good. It would be ok if it were just a few a week but it's literally like 3 or 4 a game.

The lineup needs tweaking, that's obvious.
Mayberry needs to be in the outfield in late innings for defense, that's obvious.
Adams needs to be ready to go when they tie the game, that's obvious.

Charlie is basically a glorified cheerleader at this point. I love him for what he's done, but he's just not right for this team. We're not going to score 20 runs like we did years ago, but there is enough talent to win games. What I wouldn't give for a LaRussa type manager.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Phileeguy
Thanks, Jimmy

Over the last 44 innings, the starting lineup has only had 4 RBIs.

Godawful.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:27 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
I still feel like this team could compete with a better manager behind them. Charlie's gameday decisions are just not good. It would be ok if it were just a few a week but it's literally like 3 or 4 a game.

The lineup needs tweaking, that's obvious.
Mayberry needs to be in the outfield in late innings for defense, that's obvious.
Adams needs to be ready to go when they tie the game, that's obvious.

Charlie is basically a glorified cheerleader at this point. I love him for what he's done, but he's just not right for this team. We're not going to score 20 runs like we did years ago, but there is enough talent to win games. What I wouldn't give for a LaRussa type manager.
I agree that Charlie has got to go. Don't think it will happen until the end of the season though.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Clyde Donovan

Starting to feel bad for our starting pitchers. Some run support would probably be well appreciated.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

KK pitching well... 2 hits is pretty depressing though. At least the reds forgot how to hit also

Old
04-16-2013, 09:37 PM
jml87

Why is the same lineup out there again?! It's. not. working!

Old
04-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Bailey only at 80 pitches through 7.1

Old
04-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Devastate

This offense is terrible. Way to spoil a great start by KK

Old
04-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

10 K's ... Our lineup is so terrible

Old
04-16-2013, 10:35 PM
RussianRocket10

Revere is the only guy who hasn't been struck out yet.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:37 PM
jml87

This is hilarious, neither team can hit the ball. All I can do is laugh at this point.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:40 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

How Chapman isn't getting these calls is beyond me

Old
04-16-2013, 10:52 PM
FlyingPhilly

Fire RAJ!! Fire Charlie!!

I really want RAJ gone as GM of the Phils. The team has essentially gotten worse every year he has been in charge.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:47 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Fire RAJ!! Fire Charlie!!

I really want RAJ gone as GM of the Phils. The team has essentially gotten worse every year he has been in charge.
Instead of building through the draft, he's tried to build through free agents and depleting the farm. He's been a complete disaster.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Phileeguy
Thanks, Jimmy

Game suspended 'til 5:30 tomorrow when they'll finish it. So it will be nearly 48 hours since this team scored a run when they pick this game back up, and who knows how many more hours until they score again.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:57 PM
RussianRocket10

Braves are dominating so far. Phillies handed them their only loss so far with Lee's gem.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:55 AM
jml87

My biggest problem with Amaro is his signing free agents for way more than anyone else is willing to pay. Ibanez, Howard, Pabelbon, Polanco, etc. Then his constant trading of the farm and the signing of over the hill relievers comes next.

I liked the Halladay trade and the trade for Lee, most of those prospects didn't turn out to be much. But he has no ability to make the little moves like Gillick used to. In 2008, trading for Blanton and grabbing Stairs off waivers didn't make waves but they were smart moves. Ruben just kept overpaying for everyone in sight until the Phillies cut him off, leaving us with a massive payroll and a mediocre team. Now the owners don't want to pay anymore and we don't have anyone to bring up.

The Phillies management since Gillick left has just gradually gotten worse. Just a couple young power hitters would do the world for the lineup. Everything depends on Utley, Rollins, and Howard, and they just can't bail the team out like they used to.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:19 PM
zarley zelepukin

I don't like to be in the position of defending RAJ, but some of his smaller moves have worked out- Horst and Valdes were great last year, as was Juan Pierre. And Gillick had some stinkers as well- Adam Eaton, Freddy Garcia. And it may sound odd, but playoff success is not the way to judge how good a team really is. Make no mistake- the team that won 102 games was the best Phillies team of this era, and RAJ had a big hand in making that team.

That said, I'm not a fan of RAJ overall, and bringing in a new GM would be just fine with me.

As for Charlie's lineups- nobody's been hitting recently. I don't think scrambling the order would do any good. The only thing I'd say would be to put Mayberry in more. I don't know if anyone but me has noticed, because his batting average is "only" .273 (meaningless), but he's off to a really hot start (.273/.407/.545) and he's been hitting righthanders mostly. They should continue to get him ABs until he cools off. Yet he only has 3 ABs since April 11.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:01 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
As for Charlie's lineups- nobody's been hitting recently. I don't think scrambling the order would do any good. The only thing I'd say would be to put Mayberry in more. I don't know if anyone but me has noticed, because his batting average is "only" .273 (meaningless), but he's off to a really hot start (.273/.407/.545) and he's been hitting righthanders mostly. They should continue to get him ABs until he cools off. Yet he only has 3 ABs since April 11.
Mayberry's got a good eye and consequently walks a lot too (5BB in 22AB). imo when the team is struggling offensively as they are now they need as many base-runners as possible. one of my main issues with Revere and the team in general in the early season is that they really doesn't walk enough. i didn't really expect Revere to change though and he was never a guy who walked a whole lot.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:24 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
I don't like to be in the position of defending RAJ, but some of his smaller moves have worked out- Horst and Valdes were great last year, as was Juan Pierre. And Gillick had some stinkers as well- Adam Eaton, Freddy Garcia. And it may sound odd, but playoff success is not the way to judge how good a team really is. Make no mistake- the team that won 102 games was the best Phillies team of this era, and RAJ had a big hand in making that team.

That said, I'm not a fan of RAJ overall, and bringing in a new GM would be just fine with me.

Yea, everyone makes mistakes. Gillick isn't perfect. But he also held onto core players in Utley, Howard, Rollins, Hamels. He brought in Rowand, Werth, Moyer, Feliz. He brought in the good versions Durbin and Lidge. When Gillick left, the Phillies were world champions, had arguably the best lineup in the league, a decent starting rotation anchored by the best homegrown Phillies pitcher since Roberts, a good bullpen, and a very nice farm system. All of this under a very manageable payroll.

In 2009, they were hit by the injury bug in the bullpen and Hamels had issues the entire year or else they would've won again. Gradually, things went downhill though. The payroll went up, the farm system was slowly depleted, and the Phillies kept getting older. Until we are now left with a bunch of veteran guys trying desperately to keep up with the next generation. This is poor general managing. All Amaro has done is essentially play fantasy baseball with what Gillick handed him. He got a bunch of ace pitchers, signed and traded for big names until they cut him off financially. Now we've got to deal with scrubs filling a lineup. It's nice to have the big names, but it's also nice to just grab an average guy every now and then.

And despite 102 wins, I don't think that was the best Phillies team in this era. I think they hit their peak in 2010. The lineup was still top notch and the rotation was great. Bullpen was not bad. They just ran into the worst matchup that year with the Giants and they couldn't score runs. In 2011, it was clear the lineup was on the downtrend and the incredible rotation was winning tons of low scoring games. Utley, Howard, and Rollins suffered from injuries all year. If the pitching wasn't perfect, the offense couldn't bail them out. Then in 2012, when Amaro came into the season with 3 positions filled with basically placeholders, that's when I was done with him.
-
As for Manuel, you may be right, switching the lineup may do nothing. However, what is sticking with the same thing again and again going to give us? Nothing. It's obvious it's not working so at least try something else. My choice would be Mayberry LF, Revere CF, and Brown RF (until D. Young). Then at least you wouldn't have to worry anymore about defense. Put Revere down in the lineup as there is way too much pressure on him right now. Just try anything. I'm so tired of hearing Charlie say he got a feeling so that's why he did something. Doing that every so often is fine, no sport is completely based on numbers. But just continually going with your gut and sticking with your guys until they crash into ball of flames is not going to work with a team that lacks the same talent as the past Phillies. You have to be creative and you've got to get involved, get mad. Charlie fills out the same lineup card, goes through the same motions with the same damn expression on his face every single game. And I can't take it anymore.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
Instead of building through the draft, he's tried to build through free agents and depleting the farm. He's been a complete disaster.
Sounds like another Philly team

Closed Thread