HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2013-14 Outdoor Games - Stadium Series - Van vs Ott - March 2nd, BC Place

Old
04-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

vCash: 500
The NHL does some dumb ****, but this takes the cake. If I was the Canucks I would turn it down.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:40 PM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
The NHL does some dumb ****, but this takes the cake. If I was the Canucks I would turn it down.
Why would they turn down a game that they've been trying to get for years?

King of Anarchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:51 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 507
Money grab.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:04 PM
VanCanucks14

Bunch of debbie downers in this thread.

Getting tickets as soon as they go on sale.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:16 PM
Astoria
And so, it ends...

Oh sweet sweet Jesus! When I first read this (ummm, about 3 minutes ago) I began mentally counting how many vacation hours I have at work (140 glorious hours to savour along with another 90 or so Flex/Holiday... Yeah, I have no life). Perfect opportunity to finally see the Canucks in VanCity...at an outdoor game (OK, semi-outdoor perhaps...). However after reading some of the comments, perhaps I should just come to Vancouver and watch a "normal" game at Rogers Arena.

So any advice... Go to this outdoor game or go to a regular Rogers Arena game? Whichever one I choose, it will be my first Canucks game outside of the Pepsi Centre.

Astoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:16 PM
StringerBell

If there's a legends game or whatever it's called I don't care how much tickets cost, I'll be there. There probably won't be one though because Ottawa.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:25 PM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
Oh sweet sweet Jesus! When I first read this (ummm, about 3 minutes ago) I began mentally counting how many vacation hours I have at work (140 glorious hours to savour along with another 90 or so Flex/Holiday... Yeah, I have no life). Perfect opportunity to finally see the Canucks in VanCity...at an outdoor game (OK, semi-outdoor perhaps...). However after reading some of the comments, perhaps I should just come to Vancouver and watch a "normal" game at Rogers Arena.

So any advice... Go to this outdoor game or go to a regular Rogers Arena game? Whichever one I choose, it will be my first Canucks game outside of the Pepsi Centre.
Definitely this one IMO. Atmosphere is pretty much guaranteed to be fantastic where as a regular game at Rogers Arena is pretty blah.
First outdoor game involving the Canucks too so it'll be pretty special.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:44 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks14 View Post
Definitely this one IMO. Atmosphere is pretty much guaranteed to be fantastic where as a regular game at Rogers Arena is pretty blah.
First outdoor game involving the Canucks too so it'll be pretty special.
Though it's not really outdoors at all. Seems like a regular game in a bigger venue with higher prices, to me. If the NHL was smart, they would've had a Vancouver/Chicago Winter Classic in one of the baseball stadiums in Chicago. It would draw huge ratings.

I'd be lying if I said I was super excited for this "outdoor" game in fricking March we have been awarded.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:53 PM
Apple Juice

Hey, at least the crowd will be louder than Rogers Arena will be in the past 3 years combined

Apple Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

An injury cursed team and you guys want them skating on outdoor ice?

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:36 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
who cares, we are finally getting a outdoor game, and it's going to be PACKED, gonna be great

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:50 AM
NoShowWilly

it is a heritage game not an outdoor classic. It is going to be awesome to be in a 54,000 seat stadium for a canucks game.

they should put every leafs canucks game in BC place.

NoShowWilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:48 AM
VanCityCanuck

canucks should do these games more often, will be really fun to attend the games.

VanCityCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:52 AM
VanCityCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
i want to say that this is diluting the novelty of an outdoor game, but that's already happened so why not make it a series...it's a great way to break up the dog days of a too-long regular season

how is it, we havent even had it in vancouver yet, it will be diluting it if we had alot in a season, not league wide but 1 team doing a ton of home games in outdoor stadiums or what ever.

VanCityCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:18 AM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:

All I can say is good for you for saving up that much t/o.

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:24 AM
Apple Juice

Quote:

Up to you... If you want to hear 58 minutes of pure silence from the crowd, then go to Rogers Arena. The atmosphere itself isn't that bad but it's just god awful to be that quiet when we sell out every game and not have at least one cheer.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:52 AM
TTOMO

Quote:

You should just do both, if it's during a home-stand. If I was an out of area fan who's never seen their team in their home arena and I'm going to their city for the first time, then I'd want to see them in their arena. I find the atmosphere pretty blah, but then again, I'm much too used to it. But if you've never been to Vancouver or Rogers Arena, then it will be exciting no matter what. I'd take the opportunity to see both.

Last edited by TTOMO: 04-17-2013 at 04:15 AM.
TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:59 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Though it's not really outdoors at all. Seems like a regular game in a bigger venue with higher prices, to me. If the NHL was smart, they would've had a Vancouver/Chicago Winter Classic in one of the baseball stadiums in Chicago. It would draw huge ratings.

I'd be lying if I said I was super excited for this "outdoor" game in fricking March we have been awarded.
That's my problem with it too. BC Place isn't really outdoors at all. The roof doesn't even open up that much so that sucks.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:25 AM
Apple Juice

If they wanted outdoors, they should play at Swangard Stadium

Old
04-17-2013, 09:48 AM
blfr

I have been waiting for them to announce something like this. I remember Gillis mentioning on multiple occasions saying that they were looking into playing a game at BC place.

When compared to other stadium games, BC Place would be one of the best venues because of the building design and retractable roof. Most likely the roof will be closed, but realistically they would never be able to take the risk of playing in an outdoor exposed venue. With the weather we get here you would have a slim chance of adequate conditions.

blfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Nice - hopefully they do an alumni game beforehand. The idea of seeing guys like Bure, Linden, Naslund, Courtnall, Ronning, Adams, McLean et all...would be beyond awesome.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Carl Carlson

So basically this will be an indoor game in a larger arena? Have to admit I'm not really excited by this at all.

Carl Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Hollywood Burrows

oh good, the NHL is finally driving a stake through the heart of these terrible outdoor games by flooding the market with them and ruining any special cachet or whatever they once had. Obviously that would have eventually happened, and I admire Gary's restraint in waiting a couple seasons, but here we are.

I'll probably go to this, but hopefully it will be the last one in Vancouver. Boring gimmick is boring, etc.

I will note that it would be cool if the Canucks held consequential games (i.e. playoffs) at BC place.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:29 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
seriously. play the game against calgary or edmonton or even winnipeg. ottawa is a throw in to cater to the eastern audience but oh well.
OR...it's the 100th anniversary of the Millionaires Stanley Cup win....OVER THE OTTAWA SENATORS.

That's why the Senators were chosen. It's a cool nod to history.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Shorthander

I'm with the downers on this one. Pay a ton to attend a game where you can't see anything and the winning team is the one who gets the luckiest puck bounce on the inevitably terrible ice? Nah

Shorthander is offline   Reply With Quote