HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 11:54 PM
CTU2fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I would love to see the end of Bryz but who will the backup be?
My choices would be Anton Khudobin or Ray Emery, both UFAs.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:02 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
I dont think Mason is the biggest factor in the decision to amnesty Bryz.

Was Eller a factor to buy out Gomez?
If the Flyers amnesty Bryz they need to be sure there's a #1 goalie in place for next season. Gomez was not in a position to be a key cog in the machine in Montreal; he was an overpaid 3rd liner with other guys lined up to fill the role inexpensively.

The Flyers need to be confident that they have a #1 goalie going into next season. Nine games (max) of Mason shouldn't be the basis to judge whether or not to buy out Bryz.

The tweet quoted in my initial post indicated that strong play by Mason may lead to a Bryz buy out. I hope that's just speculation and not what the front office is actually considering.

04-17-2013, 02:19 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
If the Flyers amnesty Bryz they need to be sure there's a #1 goalie in place for next season. Gomez was not in a position to be a key cog in the machine in Montreal; he was an overpaid 3rd liner with other guys lined up to fill the role inexpensively.

The Flyers need to be confident that they have a #1 goalie going into next season. Nine games (max) of Mason shouldn't be the basis to judge whether or not to buy out Bryz.

The tweet quoted in my initial post indicated that strong play by Mason may lead to a Bryz buy out. I hope that's just speculation and not what the front office is actually considering.
Well, the biggest factor in Bryz being amnestied or not is still Bryz play and contract.

If he is any good, a team would trade for him, or claim him on waiver.

IMO Mason play until the end of the season is just a smaller factor in the equation. There are also other goalies around the league who could be available.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
But that may not have been his decision. In the article it said he decided to not play in the NHL and if that's the case it wasn't Neil's decision at all.
AIR, He said that he didn't feel ready to play in the NHL and didn't want to go to the AHL; would rather play in the SEL than that. I can't blame him for that. Who would have wanted to be a part of the train wreck that has been ADR this season? Hoivanen was a back up selection after JE said no to the Flyers for this season.
It looks like the Flyers are getting into the driver's seat in getting him with the Penguins signing Hartzell and the Wings resigning Howard.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:22 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

He was very, very solid.

Bet he wishes he had the first goal back. He made several huge saves.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:34 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I really hope Mason can step up and be the guy, like, next year. 1.5M for the play we've seen recently is an absolute STEAL.

04-17-2013, 08:38 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Any update on Mason's possible injury last night? It seemed like he had just tweaked something.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:40 AM
spudnick

Quote:

Bryz should be bought out even if Mason wasn't here. Bryz is the worst starting goalie in the League. We went into this season without a true #1 goalie, why do we need to make sure se have one before we buy out Bryz. What if we dont have one, Bryz IS NOT a #1 goalie so even if Mason sucks and we go into next season this Mason and Bryz we still don't have a true #1.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Any update on Mason's possible injury last night? It seemed like he had just tweaked something.
He said he cramped up in a post-game interview.

I don't think there is cause for concern.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:46 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
Bryz should be bought out even if Mason wasn't here. Bryz is the worst starting goalie in the League. We went into this season without a true #1 goalie, why do we need to make sure se have one before we buy out Bryz. What if we dont have one, Bryz IS NOT a #1 goalie so even if Mason sucks and we go into next season this Mason and Bryz we still don't have a true #1.
If Bryz gets bought out it is largely because of that contract. It's not sustainable with the cap going down. His play has been lackluster for someone of that pay grade, but to say he is the worst in the league is an overstatement IMO. I know I know his Sv% says something to that effect, but I just don't agree with it.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Just think, Mason is playing pretty damn well with the depleated defense infront of him. Buy out Bryz, and that money could go to some defense, I like where this could be.

Of course we only have a small sample size of Mason.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:52 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Just think, Mason is playing pretty damn well with the depleated defense infront of him. Buy out Bryz, and that money could go to some defense, I like where this could be.

I think Mason is way more athletic with better movement and that doesn't suffer as much with shotty defense. Bryzgalov has looked more like a guy that depends on angles and positioning, which obviously suffers if guys run free through the defensive zone due to poor coverage. Mason had some great 2nd and 3rd saves last night.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:05 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post

Small sample size. Keep Bryz for 1 more year and see how things turn out

Old
04-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I think Mason is way more athletic with better movement and that doesn't suffer as much with shotty defense.
Every time I hear this I'm reminded a lot of Michael Leighton, except it's a version that gets paid elite-ish money.

04-17-2013, 09:07 AM
spudnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Small sample size. Keep Bryz for 1 more year and see how things turn out
Why? What does Bryz give us by keeping him?

Old
04-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
It's an annoying situation. Bryz has done poorly enough to earn an amnesty buyout, but Mason really hasn't done enough to prove he can be the guy.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:10 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Every time I hear this I'm reminded a lot of Michael Leighton, except it's a version that gets paid elite-ish money.
Fair enough, lol. I think Bryz is better than Leighton

Old
04-17-2013, 09:13 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
Why? What does Bryz give us by keeping him?
What if Mason fails?

Old
04-17-2013, 09:20 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
What if Mason fails?
Then we are back to where we were two years ago paying crappy goalies crappy money, rather than paying an average goalie elite money

Old
04-17-2013, 09:24 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

If they buy-out Bryz this summer, I won't be mad. I just think it makes more sense to wait until next year

Old
04-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Jack de la Hoya

I really can't imagine them buying out Bryzgalov this year.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:35 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
If they buy-out Bryz this summer, I won't be mad. I just think it makes more sense to wait until next year
me too unless theres another option

Old
04-17-2013, 09:53 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I think Mason is way more athletic with better movement and that doesn't suffer as much with shotty defense. Bryzgalov has looked more like a guy that depends on angles and positioning, which obviously suffers if guys run free through the defensive zone due to poor coverage. Mason had some great 2nd and 3rd saves last night.
I agree with this...I was at the game last night and watched Mason pretty closely..he definitely has all the tools...size, mobility and puck handling. I like how he battled during scrambles. His rebound control needs some work though but he was at least good at making the first save. Mason is still young too so if he can keep his head screwed on straight which seemed to be a problem in Columbus (lost confidence) then he definitely can get back to his rookie year form. It's just too soon to tell but apparently he's made strides this year even in Columbus prior to his trade here..just that Bob stole his job.

Makes sense to platoon him and Bryz next year although Lavi is not into platooning goalies and it was partly the reason Bob got moved. I think if Lavi stays (which not sure I agree with) he'll have no choice but to platoon like Chicago and St Louis handle their goalie situation.

Bryz is just going to have to deal with it if he doesn't like Mason challenging him. If Bryz pulls his stunts on and off the ice and becomes too much of a distraction then yeah he'll definitely get amnestied.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:05 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:

I would LIKE it if we went into next year with a #1 goalie after amnestying Bryzgalov, but you make it seem as if we'd be doomed without one and that we shouldn't buy out Bryzgalov without one lined up and I just can't agree with you there.

Look at the caliber of play you've gotten from Bryzgalov over the past 2 years... nothing about that says "#1 goalie". In fact, many of the stats he posted would even be considered bad for a backup. About the nicest thing you can say about him is "He played a lot of games this year". But there are cheap backups out there capable of a time-split with Mason and you could reasonably assume you'd get the same or better stats as Bryz gave you at less than half the price.

This "fear of the unknown" that Flyers fans seem to have when we are dealing with one of the worst starting goaltenders in the NHL is amusing to me. We're already near rock bottom w/ our starting goalie situation, the only place to go is up. So whether we sign Emery, Khudobin, Thomas, Backstrom, Nabokov, Labarbera, or Ellis, it really doesn't matter: BRYZ SHOULD BE GONE.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:07 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Then we are back to where we were two years ago paying crappy goalies crappy money, rather than paying an average goalie elite money
Calling Bryz an "average" goalie based on the way he has played here is quite generous. In a different scheme he might be "average" but let's call a spade a spade... based on how he has played in Philadelphia, he's a crappy goalie.

Thus the comparison is more like paying crappy goalies crappy money versus paying a crappy goalie elite money. I think that makes the choice a little more clear-cut.

Closed Thread