HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds vs Nucks

Old
04-16-2013, 09:09 PM
AEM6729

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

Haha he'd always be in the penalty box! But it is nice to see our captain with some fire in his belly.
Nah, if he played like that all the time people would start running away from him all the time. He wouldn't even need to hit them, just look in their direction! Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
I hated Arnott as a captain but when Burrows leveled Dumont he was right there beating the ever living snot out of Burrows. That's what a captain does.
That is literally the only time I ever liked Jason Arnott. He came flying across the ice with his gloves already off like a psycho killer. It. Was. AWESOME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
My pride (and confidence ) in this coaching staff, though, is about to leave the building. Not only the consistently poor displays of passing have led me to question this regime's chance of getting this team over the barrier into at least a FINALS, but now it seems the Predators have reverted back to being pushed around in every phase of the physical aspect of an NHL and NHL playoff schedule. I really, really, REALLY hope there's a change of philosophy when our new edition Predators take the ice for the next phase of this program. And, thank you SL for sharing your insight.
To be fair, I'm not sure it's all on the coaching staff. Remember the PHX game when Trotz called a timeout? When Weber was asked what was said during it, he said Trotz was urging them to show some emotion, hit somebody, do something. Aaand we got scored on like 10 seconds after the timeout. Nobody hit anybody or did anything, despite being urged to by the coaching staff. Plus when Trotz is questioned about fights or physical incidents after a game, a lot of times he'll support his player for doing it. I don't think he has a problem with his players standing up for each other.

I kinda lean towards it being more a problem with the players. Whether they're individually soft players or there's some issue with team chemistry as a whole, I don't know. But I don't think it's the coaching staff holding them back.

Also, totally unrelated but...my favorite part of that whole Rinne video (and any video that involves everyone on the ice shoving each other) is players like Spaling and Halischuck standing there with their gloves off, but just lightly holding on to some opposing player. There are always a couple guys that are like "Uhhh I guess we're all supposed to pair off, I don't really feel like fighting, can we just hold each other?"

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:14 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
Glad you watched the video but seeing the play live Weber needed to be on Kassian like a spider monkey. Coming in like he did was nice but gloves needed to be off and fists needed to be flying. Go back in history of our team and see what guys like Walker, Tootoo and even Arnott have done.

You bring up the Smith cheap shot. That was game 1. This is your f'in goalie. No one touches your goalie, EVER. If they do they should be at the bottom of pile of gold. No excuse for what Weber didn't do and what Trotz didn't do to respond afterwards.

Weber should've been the first one throwing punches plain and simple.

And SLake, spot on with your post.
Weber has been chastised for dropping the gloves many times before in these same situations. Remember the hate he got from some when he dropped them for the Smith hit. He really is in a damned if you do, damned if you dont situation here. Point its, Weber went after him, but got separated immediately due to him being behind the play and having to skate to it. He is smart enough not to knock down 2 refs to fight a rookie.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:17 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueBourqueBork View Post
Re: Kassian/Rinne/Weber

Rinne did give Kassian a pretty decent shot...but nothing out of the ordinary in a physical game. I'm trying to remember who it was, but an opposing goalie gave one of our players an equal, if not harder shot, followed by a number of crosschecks from another player (St. Louis or San Jose, maybe?). In any case, our player did not go after the goalie.

What Kassian should've done is just skate away, maybe say something to the ref. But he didn't. Personally, cross checking the goalie and what I assume would be trying to get him to fight while all the other players were skating down ice is chicken****, IMO. Call me a traditionalist, but the only person that should be fighting a goalie is another goalie (and that applies to goalies that attempt to start fights with players as well...let your teammates handle it). Yes, Rinne is a big boy and I'm sure he could handle himself...but while the goalie equipment is protective, it's also bulky and it would not be a fair fight for anyone Kassian's size.

As for Weber not reacting quickly enough and the team "not standing up for each other"...I call ******** on that. Yeah, I suppose if your entire team is a goon squad (Flyersesque), that might work. But let's be real...our guys do stand up for each other. Maybe not each and every incident. I know we complain about guys not stepping up for Hornqvist...but let's face it...Horny knows EXACTLY what he is doing, and he's trying to draw penalties. Stepping up and getting in scrums might result in having a potential powerplay negated, or, even worse, with us being shorthanded.

Shea is the captain. He knows it. Whenever there is a scrum with multiple players, he's in there and grabs a partner. That's what you do. Sure, Shea can fight...but do we want him in the box for 5 minutes every time someone needs to "step up"? No. That's Richard Clune's job.

And as valuable as Weber is, we cannot risk him being 3rd man in or second fight and getting a misconduct. We need a level-headed captain, and that's what we have. HE can't be the guy out there defending everyone else on the ice. Even two minutes for roughing is likely a bad trade, because in all likelihood, unless he's scrapping with another star, it benefits them more than us. So for those expecting Weber to be the one to always be in there throwing gloved punches and facewashes...or fighting...that's silly. If that's what you want, then we need more bottom 6 tough guys. We've seen Angry Shea. It's awesome. But does Angry Shea get us more wins? That's my question. Playing with passion is great...if it is controlled. Look at Gill. Gill took a LOT from Burrows before he reacted. And though Burrows most certainly deserved to get penalized (absolutely stupid that he didn't), the fact is, he didn't. Tough break...but that's how it goes. You retaliate, and you risk an official being a total ********.

And the thought that Weber didn't get there in time on this occasion...that's ridiculous. The play was headed down the ice...and we had an odd man advantage with Kassian lingering back. There's no way Shea could've done anything more than he did. What do you want him to do, throw the official out of the way to get to Kassian? That would be a good way to earn a suspension.

In summation: defending teammates is a good thing. But there is strategy behind it. Some things can be chalked up to hockey plays (hard, but legal checks, or generally rough play)...you just return the favor later in the game. But with scrums, you always run the risk of going shorthanded when you go goon squad on people. In this situation, that would've been fine, had the ref not been in the way.
I agree with most everything you said here- the amount of criticism Weber gets on here is ridiculous- he can't win no matter what he does. As you said, we do not need our best player on the ice doing what most on here want him to do. I guarantee you if he hadn't signed the offer sheet, most of this criticism wouldn't be happening..........

drwpreds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:55 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
Oh please. If someone did that to Schneider or Luongo, you'd be howling for blood.
No I wouldn't. I'd find it amusing that Luongo/Schneider got away with a bit of dirty work on some poor sap who then got roughed up for his trouble.

Last edited by me2: 04-16-2013 at 11:01 PM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:30 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
No I wouldn't. I'd find it amusing that Luongo/Schneider got away with a bit of dirty work on some poor sap who then got roughed up for his trouble.
lol right... why not go tell that to your buddies? nice move by burrows tonight, too.. can't stand that guy.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:01 AM
token grinder

Hey guys! Remember in the playoffs where Smithson stood in front of the honorable Luongo waving his stick and the wind almost killed him? How awesome was that?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:05 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
I agree with most everything you said here- the amount of criticism Weber gets on here is ridiculous- he can't win no matter what he does. As you said, we do not need our best player on the ice doing what most on here want him to do. I guarantee you if he hadn't signed the offer sheet, most of this criticism wouldn't be happening..........
you are correct. not that Weber cares what the fans think about him but he put the organization in a bind and asked for more money than any defenseman in NHL history had been given and since the org stepped up and gave him what he wanted the expectations for him are sky high, by his own making.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:23 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
you are correct. not that Weber cares what the fans think about him but he put the organization in a bind and asked for more money than any defenseman in NHL history had been given and since the org stepped up and gave him what he wanted the expectations for him are sky high, by his own making.
Unless Weber runs off a string of Norris's like Lidstrom he'll never be viewed completely favorably would be my guess. Philly knew what they were doing putting that poison-pill together - Poile shoulda' seen what it would do and just started down a rebuild path immediately. Hindsight is easy, though, but everyone had to know that cash was gonna' put some constraints on the org, and thus, Shea is, rightly or wrongly, responsible in many eyes.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:44 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Hey guys! Remember in the playoffs where Smithson stood in front of the honorable Luongo waving his stick and the wind almost killed him? How awesome was that?

I almost forgot about that dive.

04-18-2013, 12:50 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post

Back, and to the left.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:11 PM
token grinder

vicious. Smithson should have been suspended for that like Torres. No place in the game for that.

anyone have a video of the clean burrows hit on Dumont. Yeah baby. go canucks!

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote