HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When was the last time the Kings had home-ice advantage in the playoffs?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-17-2013, 10:15 AM
  #1
Axl Rhoadz
Registered User
 
Axl Rhoadz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 500
When was the last time the Kings had home-ice advantage in the playoffs?

From what I can find, I think it was 91...true? If so, that is just ridiculous....and hilarious.

Axl Rhoadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:24 AM
  #2
Captain Mittens*
Catquistador
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Meow-ntain
Posts: 33,449
vCash: 69
We would have to go back to Gretz. I am going to guess 91-92. I don't think we had home ice in 93

Captain Mittens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:44 AM
  #3
Ron*
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 16,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
We would have to go back to Gretz. I am going to guess 91-92. I don't think we had home ice in 93
We did not.

According to hockey-reference.com, it was the 1991-92 season when the Kings had home ice advantage over Edmonton but still found a way to lose in the opening round.

Ron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:52 AM
  #4
Captain Mittens*
Catquistador
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Meow-ntain
Posts: 33,449
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
We did not.

According to hockey-reference.com, it was the 1991-92 season when the Kings had home ice advantage over Edmonton but still found a way to lose in the opening round.
**** yeah! I was actually right for once.

Everyone put this day on their calendars


The Dingo:1
Long/short term memory Loss: 495


Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
From what I can find, I think it was 91...true? If so, that is just ridiculous....and hilarious.

91 was the Kings sole division championship. I thought that was their year too. Even with home ice....


Last edited by Captain Mittens*: 04-17-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Captain Mittens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:38 AM
  #5
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Geographical Oddity
Country: United States
Posts: 10,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
From what I can find, I think it was 91...true? If so, that is just ridiculous....and hilarious.
??? Oh no you di-undt!

How dare you bring up home ice advantage in a playoff series! You will take your 5 - 8 PO spot and like it.

Asking for more is just crazy and, quite simply greedy! One division title in 45 years? yeah, that's good...

p.s. if the Kings can hang on for home ice this year at #4, can they get a banner for that?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:58 PM
  #6
Fishhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,929
vCash: 500
Kings, only once

but hey...

Vancouver
San Jose
St. Louis
Washington

4 teams that have had tons of home ice in the playoffs. 3 of those teams are around the same age as the kings, and all 4 teams have something in common.

Toronto has also had a crapton of home ice the last 40+ years. Flyers - A dominating team with constant home ice over the last 30+ years. 36 years since their last cup and counting.

Home ice is good, but I don't put that much stock in it unless its the finals.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:09 PM
  #7
Axl Rhoadz
Registered User
 
Axl Rhoadz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post

p.s. if the Kings can hang on for home ice this year at #4, can they get a banner for that?
YES! 4th PLACE CHAMPIONS

Axl Rhoadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:15 PM
  #8
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 39,504
vCash: 500
This is what happened the last time the Kings had home ice advantage:

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:17 PM
  #9
kingsfan
Yes my liege!
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
From what I can find, I think it was 91...true? If so, that is just ridiculous....and hilarious.

I'll take 8th place every damn year if the team plays like they did last year.

Btw, since 92 we have 0 series with home ice adavntage, but we have 1 Stanley Cup ring and two finals appearances and that's all that matters. Hopefully we go two for two this year, and I hope we do it with four more upsets along the way again.


Last edited by TonySCV: 04-17-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Disparaging remarks removed
kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:44 PM
  #10
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Geographical Oddity
Country: United States
Posts: 10,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
You just can't help but look for something negative to complain about huh?

I'll take 8th place every damn year if the team plays like they did last year.

Btw, since 92 we have 0 series with home ice adavntage, but we have 1 Stanley Cup ring and two finals appearances and that's all that matters. Hopefully we go two for two this year, and I hope we do it with four more upsets along the way again. I love the hate it festers.
Hate? please. (no poster on any forum "hates" their team)

Remember quite recently when this team blasted through the SCF with a 16-4 record? So, is it too much to maybe "expect" a similar performance during the regular season, and you know, actually WIN the division? For the Cup champions, this shouldn't be much of a leap.

This team just accomplished something they haven't done once in 45 years.... but it seems that several here are fine with (yet another) average-to-slightly-above-average regular season. well, I'm not fine with it.

Why not strive (or even expect to compete) for the Presidents' Trophy? This team showed they can excel against all odds - why can't this be done in the regular season?

(I know, I know: que the when-was-the-last-time-a-pres-trophy-team-won-the-cup argument.. damnit! because I "expect" more wins and banners, I hate the Kings!! - true story)

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:44 PM
  #11
damacles1156
Registered User
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 17,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Hate? please. (no poster on any forum "hates" their team)

Remember quite recently when this team blasted through the SCF with a 16-4 record? So, is it too much to maybe "expect" a similar performance during the regular season, and you know, actually WIN the division? For the Cup champions, this shouldn't be much of a leap.

This team just accomplished something they haven't done once in 45 years.... but it seems that several here are fine with (yet another) average-to-slightly-above-average regular season. well, I'm not fine with it.

Why not strive (or even expect to compete) for the Presidents' Trophy? This team showed they can excel against all odds - why can't this be done in the regular season?

(I know, I know: que the when-was-the-last-time-a-pres-trophy-team-won-the-cup argument.. damnit! because I "expect" more wins and banners, I hate the Kings!! - true story)
Regular season is overrated, just get in.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:46 PM
  #12
KingKopitar11*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: staples center
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
Can we have a banner just to have a banner?

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:48 PM
  #13
damacles1156
Registered User
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 17,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Can we have a banner just to have a banner?
There is only one Banner that matters.

Kings have at least one of those.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:15 PM
  #14
KingsKnight
That's So Kings™
 
KingsKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
YES! 4th PLACE CHAMPIONS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
??? Oh no you di-undt!

How dare you bring up home ice advantage in a playoff series! You will take your 5 - 8 PO spot and like it.

Asking for more is just crazy and, quite simply greedy! One division title in 45 years? yeah, that's good...

p.s. if the Kings can hang on for home ice this year at #4, can they get a banner for that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Can we have a banner just to have a banner?
Possible avatar ideas here...banners for mundane accomplishments.

KingsKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:20 PM
  #15
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Geographical Oddity
Country: United States
Posts: 10,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
Possible avatar ideas here...banners for mundane accomplishments.
I like it!!

How about something like "Best Concession stand near Section 322?"

Or maybe "owns enough Kings jerseys to wear a new one everyday, and not need to do laundry for over 2 weeks"?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:21 PM
  #16
Captain Mittens*
Catquistador
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Meow-ntain
Posts: 33,449
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
This is what happened the last time the Kings had home ice advantage:
It's so weird to see sports and not see the banner with the score and the clock counting down

Captain Mittens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:25 PM
  #17
Captain Mittens*
Catquistador
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Meow-ntain
Posts: 33,449
vCash: 69
Here's another scary stat, if the Kings make the playoffs, this year it'll be the first time they made the playoffs fours years in a row since the 93 cup run.

The Kings did make the playoffs three years in a row during the Andy Murray era from 99-02


Last edited by TonySCV: 04-17-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Quoted text of a deleted post removed
Captain Mittens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:31 PM
  #18
KingsFan7824
Registered User
 
KingsFan7824's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Remember quite recently when this team blasted through the SCF with a 16-4 record? So, is it too much to maybe "expect" a similar performance during the regular season, and you know, actually WIN the division? For the Cup champions, this shouldn't be much of a leap.
I think it's a bit much to expect something similar to a 16-4 playoff run. The playoffs really are a race to 4 wins. The quicker you get them, the better. It's just going all out, every shift, every period, every game.

I doubt Chicago fans could've expected their record this season. Could we have expected the Kings to go 16-4 in the playoffs? Going up 3-0 in every series? 10-0 on the road before Game 5 of the finals?

Expect a division title? Sure. In a normal season, maybe they could catch the Ducks since they're now only 6 points up. But like the Kings in the playoffs last year, you catch a wave of momentum in a short regular season, and it's tough to keep up.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:36 PM
  #19
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,985
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Having home ice advantage just makes it harder to sweep your opponent.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:44 PM
  #20
Evincar
I have found the way
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
Kings, only once

but hey...

Vancouver
San Jose
St. Louis
Washington

4 teams that have had tons of home ice in the playoffs. 3 of those teams are around the same age as the kings, and all 4 teams have something in common.

Toronto has also had a crapton of home ice the last 40+ years. Flyers - A dominating team with constant home ice over the last 30+ years. 36 years since their last cup and counting.

Home ice is good, but I don't put that much stock in it unless its the finals.
Cherry-picking at its finest. You just named 4 teams that havent the Cup and said "Hey look how many times they had home ice and they still didnt win the Cup!!!". Here is some numbers to consider.

Since the current playoff format was introduced in the 1993-94:
-12 of the 18 Cup winners (67%) won their division
-16 of the 18 Cup winners (89%) finished 4th or higher in their conference

Still think home ice isnt that important?

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:54 PM
  #21
TonySCV
More Time for Scully
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
The Kings did make the playoffs three years in a row during the Andy Murray era from 99-02
My first year as a STH was 02-03. Yeah.. I have awesome timing.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:38 PM
  #22
Fishhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Cherry-picking at its finest. You just named 4 teams that havent the Cup and said "Hey look how many times they had home ice and they still didnt win the Cup!!!". Here is some numbers to consider.

Since the current playoff format was introduced in the 1993-94:
-12 of the 18 Cup winners (67%) won their division
-16 of the 18 Cup winners (89%) finished 4th or higher in their conference

Still think home ice isnt that important?
All right, well since my numbers might not relate to present day, and go back to a time when there were great disparities in payroll and skill on teams, let's toss them out.

In today's league, since the lockout and introduction of the cap:

Teams with home ice have won playoff series 57% of the time. Not a very big difference.

8 division winners have made the cup finals vs. 6 non division winners. That's a difference of a single team. This is not significant, especially considering there are 6 division winners now.

7 cup finals have taken place. 4 of those were won by the team with home ice advantage, 3 of them were won by underdogs. Only 2 out of the last 14 cup finals teams were tops in their conference.

So, in the present state of hockey, I absolutely do not think winning the division or getting home ice is all that important.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:14 AM
  #23
123slam
Registered User
 
123slam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
This is what happened the last time the Kings had home ice advantage:
And look who was in goal for EDM...Billy Ranford.

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:39 PM
  #24
Fishhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,929
vCash: 500
5 of 8 of the underdogs won in the first round, and it was damn close to 6 except for Toronto's epic meltdown/Bostons incredible comeback.

Since the Lockout, home ice teams have now won 55.75% of series played.

Since 2010?

Home ice: 27
Away team: 26

Pretty dang even.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:26 AM
  #25
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Hate? please. (no poster on any forum "hates" their team)

Remember quite recently when this team blasted through the SCF with a 16-4 record? So, is it too much to maybe "expect" a similar performance during the regular season, and you know, actually WIN the division? For the Cup champions, this shouldn't be much of a leap.

This team just accomplished something they haven't done once in 45 years.... but it seems that several here are fine with (yet another) average-to-slightly-above-average regular season. well, I'm not fine with it.

Why not strive (or even expect to compete) for the Presidents' Trophy? This team showed they can excel against all odds - why can't this be done in the regular season?

(I know, I know: que the when-was-the-last-time-a-pres-trophy-team-won-the-cup argument.. damnit! because I "expect" more wins and banners, I hate the Kings!! - true story)
Did we go from not making the playoffs to winning the cup in the same year?

Of course not.

We finished in 8th last year and in 5th this year. Can't you see an upward trend? Third next year and presidents trophy with a first round exit the next year. WE WON THE REGULAR SEASON! WOOOHOOO!!! (kidding of course)

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.