HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would our season have gone better if we kept Jagr and Carle?

Old
04-17-2013, 01:21 AM
Cardds

vCash: 500
Would our season have gone better if we kept Jagr and Carle?

I know it seemed like everyone wanted Holmgren to go for the big names like Suter, Parise, and Weber, but what if he played it safe and kept Jagr and Carle, would the season have gone better? Would the JVR-Luke Schenn trade have happened as well? Thoughts?

Cardds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:57 AM
flyerfanish

Would the season had gone better? Yes. Would I rather have this season going to hell than spending 5+ for multiple years on Carle? Yes

flyerfanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:13 AM
ahthorne

Not signing Jagr was probably a mistake. He was obviously missed, and we went and got Gagne to 'replace' him. Obvious mistake, IMO.

I like Carle and would've taken him for Coburn money, but not signing Carle to the contract he received is a blessing. Even with amnesties I don't think this team could afford him especially with Giroux, Couturier, B. Schenn and Read needing new contracts in 2014-15. The defense has suffered without him however, so to answer your question the team would have a much better season with both Carle and Jagr BUT I think many of us here would take short term suffering for long term contention, and I don't think Jagr and Carle would really push the team into contention. A really nice draft pick, some cap space for future star UFA signings and some development from the young guys definitely could.

ahthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:36 AM
BillDineen

Would it have made the difference in winning a cup in the next five years? No. So no.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:15 AM
dats81

They would not have prevented Couts and B. Schenn from hitting the sophomore slump but they would have provided some much needed consistency and leadership and we probably would be in 6th -8th place in the East right now. With the depleted defensive corps the situation would still have written first round exit all over it though.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:10 AM

Keeping Jagr would probably mean Jake doesn't break out like he has. Keeping Carle would improve us a bit but not really that much. Not like our PP isn't already good.

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:52 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 0
There are two types of seasons: ones that end in a parade, and ones that don't.

So, no, our season would not have gone any better.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:58 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

I do not deal in what if's or hindsight, so they are gone and that's that.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:02 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
The season probably would not be too different. Jagr would have helped the offense a little, I'm sure, but the offense is and was not the problem. They aren't dominating by any means, but they are in the top half for goals scored. If Jagr were here I imagine that stat would be in the same area. Same thing with the defense. If Carle were here the defense would be better, but not better enough to make this team a contender.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Flyers2point0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanish View Post
Would the season had gone better? Yes. Would I rather have this season going to hell than spending 5+ for multiple years on Carle? Yes
Agreed. Although Jagr I would have kept.

Flyers2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Jack de la Hoya

I don't think there's any doubt that we've missed Carle--and we probably would have been better off if he was still on the team.

But he wasn't worth what he got paid by Tampa--which I think most Bolts fans now know. If the choice is between having Carle at a fair / discount contract, or having Carle at his current contract, then I think the team is better now and going forward without him.

Jagr? Meh. I guess he might have helped, but he would have taken opportunities from Jake. Maybe the team is slightly better this year--but suffers going forward.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Rolex

Two players such as Jagr and Carle are not going to overcome the mistake behind the bench and the ill conceived style of play for the team that he has brought to the ice this season.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:18 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Keeping those 2 would have came at the expense of others.

We basically replaced Jagr with Gagne. He may not be as good offensively, but he's definitely better defensively. Jake breaking out kind of replaced his offense

Carle.....sucks. I'd much rather have either of Mez, Coburn, Grossmann and Schenn on the team with their contracts than Carle and the contract he would have signed

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Cardds

Oh right thanks, I forgot about Carle's expensive contract. Yeah, I agree now as well about it being only good for this season but not long term, and that it wouldn't of been enough for a cup.

Cardds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:14 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

If having Carle here means Schenn isn't, then nope. We know what Carle is at this point. Schenn at least has room to improve, and I take Schenn over Carle 30 days a week.

Jagr? Eh. I'm sure he would have helped the offense. It's hard to say if he would have helped enough to matter.

04-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I do not deal in what if's or hindsight, so they are gone and that's that.
I agree for the most part, although I would have liked having Jagr for one more year.

Carle, not so much.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:46 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Keeping Jagr would probably mean Jake doesn't break out like he has. Keeping Carle would improve us a bit but not really that much. Not like our PP isn't already good.
Carle's real value was 5 on 5 (transition game) as opposed to PP (he was ok but not a huge threat with his popgun shot). We'd be better but not a contender. Agree on Jagr, keeping him would just be delaying the inevitable and retarding Jake's development.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:29 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Umm...look at what Carle and Jagr were essentially replaced with to fill the void. Carle was good for 5 on 5 transition as somebod noted and Jagr was good for points, leadership and chemistry as mentioned by Hartnell, G and others like the GM in particular.

Jagr
Knuble then Gagne

Carle
Gervais, Foster

Would they have helped..certainly. Would they have made a big difference or more of a marginal one..hard to say. They might have helped us be closer to a playoff spot but b/c of all the injuries we'd be on the cusp like the Rangers. If we had Columbus Bob, Carle and Jagr...I'm pretty sure we'd be in the playoffs. All speculation however as noted.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:15 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Neither one would help Bryz stop the puck.

hckyplayer8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Neither one would help Bryz stop the puck.
Carle would help put more shots on Bryz with his turn overs

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:49 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Carle would help put more shots on Bryz with his turn overs
more shots, mean more chances for him to make a save, right?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:50 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
I think voracek a breakout this season replaces jagrs presence on the giroux line. Would jagr have helped, yes but with how jake has played I don't see jagrs absence is truely missed now as it was in january. Carle provided that puck moving ability but that's it. For what he signed for and his many other shortcomings, no. I'd rather struggle and let Gus and others play seeing if we have something then be in even bigger **** with Carles contract. People gotta understand that we have a ton of youth and it takes time to develop that. Unfortunately Bob was run out of town too soon and chasing Schenn, coots, etc in favor of jagr carle etc is just stupid.

The JVR Schenn trade was a necessary evil. Schenn has been solid for us as JVR has for Toronto. The trade addressed needs both teams had and was a swap of two very young yet struggling players. I make that trade 10/10 times in draft day 2012.

My answer? No.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote