HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild gets Jason Pominville, '14 4th for Larsson, Hackett 13' 1st + '14 2nd Part 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-16-2013, 05:49 PM
  #651
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner
 
Blizzard6411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
You're off by two inches.
Oh hell why not? You have exaggerated everything else Johan Larson so you might as well make him 2" taller then what he really is.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:22 PM
  #652
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
Please Larsson is 5'10'' and like 200 pounds that isn't the big strong second line center we are talking about. The guy is average in every category especially size and strength
That has to be understated, especially his height. The first thing I noticed about Larsson when I watched the Aeros play was that he was much bigger than I anticipated. He's a thick dude, and he did not look short compared to his teammates. And he played a physical game too. I always thought of him as being a little on the small side. I was wrong.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:29 PM
  #653
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,411
vCash: 50
he really isn't small, but he isn't tall either. it's been a year so who knows. either way, he's got the mass and willingness to do all the things people want "big" players to do. More than anything I think he was the happy medium for what kind of player wild management idealize in skill, attitude, intelligence, and grit.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:30 PM
  #654
Beegoalie
Registered User
 
Beegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pominville Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
2006-07 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 34 34 68
2007-08 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 27 53 80
2008-09 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 20 46 66
2009-10 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 24 38 62
2010-11 Buffalo Sabres NHL 73 22 30 52
2011-12 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 30 43 73

so in 5 of the last 6 seasons he has played in 82 games each year..missing a grand total of 12 games or 2 per year.

He averages 27 goals 42.8 assists and 69.8 points per season.
-to put that into perspective Mikko has only topped 70 points one time in 2009-2010 with 71.
-if that doesn't do it for you how about the fact that he outscored Parise last year...

Combine that 70 points a year with his PK abilities..the fact he's a RH shot and a leader(former captain).

I will gladly trade our 5th best prospect, a solid goalie prospect and two picks for a player like this anyway of the week.

Some people just don't realize how good Pominville is. We got a dang good hockey player folks.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:32 PM
  #655
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
He might have some good beef to him but hardly what we would want for our 1B or 2 center.
Tall does not always mean solid.

He has some weight on him. Kuntiz is 6'0", Backstrom 6'1, Kessel is 6'

Who the hell cares how tall he is. If he can play, he can play.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:33 PM
  #656
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner
 
Blizzard6411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
2006-07 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 34 34 68
2007-08 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 27 53 80
2008-09 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 20 46 66
2009-10 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 24 38 62
2010-11 Buffalo Sabres NHL 73 22 30 52
2011-12 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 30 43 73

so in 5 of the last 6 seasons he has played in 82 games each year..missing a grand total of 12 games or 2 per year.

He averages 27 goals 42.8 assists and 69.8 points per season.

Combine that 70 points a year with his PK abilities..the fact he's a RH shot and a leader(former captain).

I will gladly trade our 5th best prospect, a solid goalie prospect and two picks for a player like this anyway of the week.

Some people just don't realize how good Pominville is. We got a dang good hockey player folks.
Yeah but he is no Johan Larson that 6'5" 230 lb future 50 goal scorer and stopper of all offensive threats.

The legend of Johan Larson is something to behold.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:36 PM
  #657
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Some people just don't realize how good Pominville is. We got a dang good hockey player folks.
Some of us realize that but also balance it with, some people don't realize how uneven this Wild team really is and that we are still in a transition period.

And why the hell am I getting sucked into this damn conversation again?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:58 PM
  #658
Wildfish
Registered User
 
Wildfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Siberia, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Some of us realize that but also balance it with, some people don't realize how uneven this Wild team really is and that we are still in a transition period.

And why the hell am I getting sucked into this damn conversation again?
You dug a hole and for some reason you think that if you keep digging you'll get out of it...

Keeping throwing out vague terms like the Wild are in some majic "transition period" or "binary thinking" or "Fletch is panicking" to justify your position.

I've seen Larsson and MiG from a couple feet away. Larsson is short but thick. MiG is just short and small compared to other NHL players. If you believe team Ht/Wt numbers on the website I have some beach front property in AZ for sale cheap.

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:49 PM
  #659
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Some people just don't realize how good Pominville is. We got a dang good hockey player folks.
No doubt, but this isn't like the old video games where you can game the system and acquire all the best players at will. The reality of his age, contract, position, and extremely high price weight down on the other side of the scale.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:53 PM
  #660
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfish View Post
Keeping throwing out vague terms like the Wild are in some majic "transition period"
How vague is transition period? We got Parise and Suter but we have holes still left to fill. We are in a transition period of guys a few years ago getting replaced.

Quote:
or "binary thinking"
0/1, if you don't know what binary is, I'm sorry.

Quote:
"Fletch is panicking" to justify your position.
I'm not the only one thinking this.

Quote:
I've seen Larsson and MiG from a couple feet away. Larsson is short but thick. MiG is just short and small compared to other NHL players. If you believe team Ht/Wt numbers on the website I have some beach front property in AZ for sale cheap.
Americans list Larsson at 5'11" and close to 200 pounds (198).

But he is like Clutter a bit. Short, thick but physical.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:41 PM
  #661
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner
 
Blizzard6411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
This thread gets more epic with every passing day!

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:46 PM
  #662
TwInS1095
Registered User
 
TwInS1095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 1760
I hope he continues to "not help us this season"


Such an underrated player.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:50 PM
  #663
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,530
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
I hope he continues to "not help us this season"


Such an underrated player.
It is almost laughable. I absolutely agree with the sentiments of others who have said this team has some fans that just love to collect prospects and stare back and look at them with pride. We didn't trade Crosby or Ovechkin for a 30 year old. I was even a huge proponent of JL being called up to play throughout the season, even over FBJ. But even I knew when this trade was done this was a stellar trade

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:26 AM
  #664
Dudicles
Registered User
 
Dudicles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
It is almost laughable. I absolutely agree with the sentiments of others who have said this team has some fans that just love to collect prospects and stare back and look at them with pride. We didn't trade Crosby or Ovechkin for a 30 year old. I was even a huge proponent of JL being called up to play throughout the season, even over FBJ. But even I knew when this trade was done this was a stellar trade
Some here would prefer the Wild to constantly trade established players for prospects. Also, some seem to think that because the Wild need a defenseman, that automatically means another team was willing to trade a d-man who'd fit the team for a decent price. It also means because of that, trading for a forward who can help the team is a bad idea.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:47 AM
  #665
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,661
vCash: 500
It also means that, two games ago, he was not helping the Wild. I didn't say he WOULDN'T help the Wild, just that he hadn't.

Elite Prospects has this:

Larsson 6'0 198
Granlund 5'10 183.

Both are probably optimistic by an inch or so, but that still puts Larsson as average height and weight and Granlund below average height and weight for an NHL'er.

Last night we saw great games from Pominville and Granlund, which is fantastic for next year. Two skilled top-six wingers. But we still have a hole at the #2 center position.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:12 AM
  #666
Abraham85
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
But we still have a hole at the #2 center position.
Larsson wouldn't have filled that anyway so...

Abraham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:33 AM
  #667
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party
 
Randy BoBandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,191
vCash: 500
Haula or Phillips have 2nd line Center potential. Phillips might take a bit longer but hey if we re-sign Cullen as most have us have come to accept that is fine. Lets Cullen be a place holder for another year. I'm sure by then someone will be able to take over. Hell maybe Granlund will surprise and show he is capable of it after another year or so. Too bad we didn't have Grigorenko though he would be perfect for that spot

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:58 AM
  #668
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham85 View Post
Larsson wouldn't have filled that anyway so...
He very well could have. Not right now, next year and beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
Haula or Phillips have 2nd line Center potential. Phillips might take a bit longer but hey if we re-sign Cullen as most have us have come to accept that is fine. Lets Cullen be a place holder for another year. I'm sure by then someone will be able to take over. Hell maybe Granlund will surprise and show he is capable of it after another year or so. Too bad we didn't have Grigorenko though he would be perfect for that spot
Or Trouba...or Forsberg...Dumba better pan out!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:03 PM
  #669
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Right behind you....
Country: United States
Posts: 6,157
vCash: 50
I'm pretty curious to see how Gilmour looks next season at BC. Kid has size and can score. If he pans out, he could be that #2C in the future.

MuckOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:07 PM
  #670
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,661
vCash: 500
He's intriguing but a long ways off.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:20 PM
  #671
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,383
vCash: 500
You guys should be happy to have Poms on your team, vastly underrated.
Great player, perfect for a team looking to make a cup run and beyond.

We're happy that we got Larsson, Hackett and the picks.

win win

good luck for the rest of the year.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
  #672
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,985
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Or Trouba...or Forsberg...Dumba better pan out!
Trouba, sure. No one's denying that.

However, from what I've seen of him, I don't see the potential in Forsberg. Reminds me a lot of Magnus Pääjärvi, and it has nothing to do with nationality. Of course, his upside is probably higher, but he wasn't at all impressive when I saw him live in WJC premiere. Everything about his game reeks of "average" to me. Probably will end up as a 2nd-3rd line tweener, kind of like Matt Cullen.

__________________
"Flat out until you see God, count to three, then brake!" - Kevin Schwantz
Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:31 PM
  #673
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
I will just point out for what its worth that Pominville now has a goal with 3 different lines and the PP.

Wasn't someone saying that getting Pominville did nothing to help lines below the 1st?
Whoever said that was off their rocker. The thing I most appreciated about Pominville when he was with Buffalo is that he's the kind of player you can plug anyhwere in your line-up and expect pretty much the same production from him. He had great chemistry with Vanek, but produced just as well playing with Hecht or Roy or 7-goal Ville Leino.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:31 PM
  #674
TZM
Par too easy
 
TZM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kerava
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Trouba, sure. No one's denying that.

However, from what I've seen of him, I don't see the potential in Forsberg. Reminds me a lot of Magnus Pääjärvi, and it has nothing to do with nationality. Of course, his upside is probably higher, but he wasn't at all impressive when I saw him live in WJC premiere. Everything about his game reeks of "average" to me. Probably will end up as a 2nd-3rd line tweener, kind of like Matt Cullen.
Times 2.

I see nothing special in him. He's got nothing that stands out for me. Solid performer but I don't rate his value very high. I'd much rather take the chance on Dumba than him.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:35 PM
  #675
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It also means that, two games ago, he was not helping the Wild. I didn't say he WOULDN'T help the Wild, just that he hadn't.

Elite Prospects has this:

Larsson 6'0 198
Granlund 5'10 183.

Both are probably optimistic by an inch or so, but that still puts Larsson as average height and weight and Granlund below average height and weight for an NHL'er.

Last night we saw great games from Pominville and Granlund, which is fantastic for next year. Two skilled top-six wingers. But we still have a hole at the #2 center position.
Yeah, two games ago Pominville only had 4 points in 5 games with multi-point efforts in the only two games the Wild got points out of (the CBJ games) during April. He'd quite obviously helped the Wild.

There were multiple problems with your Pominville-hasn't-helped argument, not the least of which being that a 5 game sample size is too quick to jump to any conclusions (so is a 7 game). The big problem was that you were comparing what the Wild had done before (with Cullen and Heatley) to the Pominville era. It's an obvious enough problem that I'm surprised any non-SoH poster would attempt to make that statement.

Averman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.