HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild gets Jason Pominville, '14 4th for Larsson, Hackett 13' 1st + '14 2nd Part 2

Old
04-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
You're off by two inches.
Oh hell why not? You have exaggerated everything else Johan Larson so you might as well make him 2" taller then what he really is.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:22 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
Please Larsson is 5'10'' and like 200 pounds that isn't the big strong second line center we are talking about. The guy is average in every category especially size and strength
That has to be understated, especially his height. The first thing I noticed about Larsson when I watched the Aeros play was that he was much bigger than I anticipated. He's a thick dude, and he did not look short compared to his teammates. And he played a physical game too. I always thought of him as being a little on the small side. I was wrong.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:29 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
he really isn't small, but he isn't tall either. it's been a year so who knows. either way, he's got the mass and willingness to do all the things people want "big" players to do. More than anything I think he was the happy medium for what kind of player wild management idealize in skill, attitude, intelligence, and grit.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Beegoalie

2006-07 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 34 34 68
2007-08 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 27 53 80
2008-09 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 20 46 66
2009-10 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 24 38 62
2010-11 Buffalo Sabres NHL 73 22 30 52
2011-12 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 30 43 73

so in 5 of the last 6 seasons he has played in 82 games each year..missing a grand total of 12 games or 2 per year.

He averages 27 goals 42.8 assists and 69.8 points per season.
-to put that into perspective Mikko has only topped 70 points one time in 2009-2010 with 71.
-if that doesn't do it for you how about the fact that he outscored Parise last year...

Combine that 70 points a year with his PK abilities..the fact he's a RH shot and a leader(former captain).

I will gladly trade our 5th best prospect, a solid goalie prospect and two picks for a player like this anyway of the week.

Some people just don't realize how good Pominville is. We got a dang good hockey player folks.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:32 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
He might have some good beef to him but hardly what we would want for our 1B or 2 center.
Tall does not always mean solid.

He has some weight on him. Kuntiz is 6'0", Backstrom 6'1, Kessel is 6'

Who the hell cares how tall he is. If he can play, he can play.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
2006-07 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 34 34 68
2007-08 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 27 53 80
2008-09 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 20 46 66
2009-10 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 24 38 62
2010-11 Buffalo Sabres NHL 73 22 30 52
2011-12 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 30 43 73

so in 5 of the last 6 seasons he has played in 82 games each year..missing a grand total of 12 games or 2 per year.

He averages 27 goals 42.8 assists and 69.8 points per season.

Combine that 70 points a year with his PK abilities..the fact he's a RH shot and a leader(former captain).

I will gladly trade our 5th best prospect, a solid goalie prospect and two picks for a player like this anyway of the week.

Some people just don't realize how good Pominville is. We got a dang good hockey player folks.
Yeah but he is no Johan Larson that 6'5" 230 lb future 50 goal scorer and stopper of all offensive threats.

The legend of Johan Larson is something to behold.

Old
04-16-2013, 06:36 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Some of us realize that but also balance it with, some people don't realize how uneven this Wild team really is and that we are still in a transition period.

And why the hell am I getting sucked into this damn conversation again?

Old
04-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Wildfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Some of us realize that but also balance it with, some people don't realize how uneven this Wild team really is and that we are still in a transition period.

And why the hell am I getting sucked into this damn conversation again?
You dug a hole and for some reason you think that if you keep digging you'll get out of it...

Keeping throwing out vague terms like the Wild are in some majic "transition period" or "binary thinking" or "Fletch is panicking" to justify your position.

I've seen Larsson and MiG from a couple feet away. Larsson is short but thick. MiG is just short and small compared to other NHL players. If you believe team Ht/Wt numbers on the website I have some beach front property in AZ for sale cheap.

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:49 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
No doubt, but this isn't like the old video games where you can game the system and acquire all the best players at will. The reality of his age, contract, position, and extremely high price weight down on the other side of the scale.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:53 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfish View Post
Keeping throwing out vague terms like the Wild are in some majic "transition period"
How vague is transition period? We got Parise and Suter but we have holes still left to fill. We are in a transition period of guys a few years ago getting replaced.

Quote:
or "binary thinking"
0/1, if you don't know what binary is, I'm sorry.

Quote:
"Fletch is panicking" to justify your position.
I'm not the only one thinking this.

Quote:
I've seen Larsson and MiG from a couple feet away. Larsson is short but thick. MiG is just short and small compared to other NHL players. If you believe team Ht/Wt numbers on the website I have some beach front property in AZ for sale cheap.
Americans list Larsson at 5'11" and close to 200 pounds (198).

But he is like Clutter a bit. Short, thick but physical.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

This thread gets more epic with every passing day!

Old
04-16-2013, 11:46 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
I hope he continues to "not help us this season"

Such an underrated player.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:50 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
I hope he continues to "not help us this season"

Such an underrated player.
It is almost laughable. I absolutely agree with the sentiments of others who have said this team has some fans that just love to collect prospects and stare back and look at them with pride. We didn't trade Crosby or Ovechkin for a 30 year old. I was even a huge proponent of JL being called up to play throughout the season, even over FBJ. But even I knew when this trade was done this was a stellar trade

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:26 AM
Dudicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
It is almost laughable. I absolutely agree with the sentiments of others who have said this team has some fans that just love to collect prospects and stare back and look at them with pride. We didn't trade Crosby or Ovechkin for a 30 year old. I was even a huge proponent of JL being called up to play throughout the season, even over FBJ. But even I knew when this trade was done this was a stellar trade
Some here would prefer the Wild to constantly trade established players for prospects. Also, some seem to think that because the Wild need a defenseman, that automatically means another team was willing to trade a d-man who'd fit the team for a decent price. It also means because of that, trading for a forward who can help the team is a bad idea.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It also means that, two games ago, he was not helping the Wild. I didn't say he WOULDN'T help the Wild, just that he hadn't.

Elite Prospects has this:

Larsson 6'0 198
Granlund 5'10 183.

Both are probably optimistic by an inch or so, but that still puts Larsson as average height and weight and Granlund below average height and weight for an NHL'er.

Last night we saw great games from Pominville and Granlund, which is fantastic for next year. Two skilled top-six wingers. But we still have a hole at the #2 center position.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Abraham85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
But we still have a hole at the #2 center position.
Larsson wouldn't have filled that anyway so...

Abraham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Haula or Phillips have 2nd line Center potential. Phillips might take a bit longer but hey if we re-sign Cullen as most have us have come to accept that is fine. Lets Cullen be a place holder for another year. I'm sure by then someone will be able to take over. Hell maybe Granlund will surprise and show he is capable of it after another year or so. Too bad we didn't have Grigorenko though he would be perfect for that spot

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham85 View Post
Larsson wouldn't have filled that anyway so...
He very well could have. Not right now, next year and beyond.

Quote:
Haula or Phillips have 2nd line Center potential. Phillips might take a bit longer but hey if we re-sign Cullen as most have us have come to accept that is fine. Lets Cullen be a place holder for another year. I'm sure by then someone will be able to take over. Hell maybe Granlund will surprise and show he is capable of it after another year or so. Too bad we didn't have Grigorenko though he would be perfect for that spot
Or Trouba...or Forsberg...Dumba better pan out!

Old
04-17-2013, 12:03 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

I'm pretty curious to see how Gilmour looks next season at BC. Kid has size and can score. If he pans out, he could be that #2C in the future.

MuckOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He's intriguing but a long ways off.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

You guys should be happy to have Poms on your team, vastly underrated.
Great player, perfect for a team looking to make a cup run and beyond.

We're happy that we got Larsson, Hackett and the picks.

win win

good luck for the rest of the year.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Or Trouba...or Forsberg...Dumba better pan out!
Trouba, sure. No one's denying that.

However, from what I've seen of him, I don't see the potential in Forsberg. Reminds me a lot of Magnus Pääjärvi, and it has nothing to do with nationality. Of course, his upside is probably higher, but he wasn't at all impressive when I saw him live in WJC premiere. Everything about his game reeks of "average" to me. Probably will end up as a 2nd-3rd line tweener, kind of like Matt Cullen.

04-17-2013, 12:31 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
I will just point out for what its worth that Pominville now has a goal with 3 different lines and the PP.

Wasn't someone saying that getting Pominville did nothing to help lines below the 1st?
Whoever said that was off their rocker. The thing I most appreciated about Pominville when he was with Buffalo is that he's the kind of player you can plug anyhwere in your line-up and expect pretty much the same production from him. He had great chemistry with Vanek, but produced just as well playing with Hecht or Roy or 7-goal Ville Leino.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:31 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Trouba, sure. No one's denying that.

However, from what I've seen of him, I don't see the potential in Forsberg. Reminds me a lot of Magnus Pääjärvi, and it has nothing to do with nationality. Of course, his upside is probably higher, but he wasn't at all impressive when I saw him live in WJC premiere. Everything about his game reeks of "average" to me. Probably will end up as a 2nd-3rd line tweener, kind of like Matt Cullen.
Times 2.

I see nothing special in him. He's got nothing that stands out for me. Solid performer but I don't rate his value very high. I'd much rather take the chance on Dumba than him.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha

Quote:
It also means that, two games ago, he was not helping the Wild. I didn't say he WOULDN'T help the Wild, just that he hadn't.

Elite Prospects has this:

Larsson 6'0 198
Granlund 5'10 183.

Both are probably optimistic by an inch or so, but that still puts Larsson as average height and weight and Granlund below average height and weight for an NHL'er.

Last night we saw great games from Pominville and Granlund, which is fantastic for next year. Two skilled top-six wingers. But we still have a hole at the #2 center position.
Yeah, two games ago Pominville only had 4 points in 5 games with multi-point efforts in the only two games the Wild got points out of (the CBJ games) during April. He'd quite obviously helped the Wild.

There were multiple problems with your Pominville-hasn't-helped argument, not the least of which being that a 5 game sample size is too quick to jump to any conclusions (so is a 7 game). The big problem was that you were comparing what the Wild had done before (with Cullen and Heatley) to the Pominville era. It's an obvious enough problem that I'm surprised any non-SoH poster would attempt to make that statement.

Averman is offline   Reply With Quote