HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 42: Blues vs. Vancouver Jaskin you shall receive

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Slightly OT but did anybody flip over to Kings-Sharks last night and notice between periods they reported the NHL is planning a ton of outdoor games for next year? Blues not among them.
Rustles my jimmies not having a game at Busch Stadium. I'm almost positive regardless if people are hockey fans, if it is held at Busch Stadium, Cards fans will fill the seats.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:12 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Back to topic, since St. Louis is not going to get a "outdoor game" anytime soon, yep...

Congrats on win # 600 Ken Hitchcock. Loved all the physical activity going on, was fun to watch live. Backes hit anything and everything that was a Canuck last night, by far the best Blues player last night. Jaskin, predictable, didn't see the ice much but got a great ovation from the home crowd. And when the crowd was sensing another no offensive performance from our forwards yet again, and another shutout loss, a defenseman , Jaybo gets his 1st goal as a Blue on a nice flip assist from Perron, then getting that extra point in the shootout was huge.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:33 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Rustles my jimmies not having a game at Busch Stadium. I'm almost positive regardless if people are hockey fans, if it is held at Busch Stadium, Cards fans will fill the seats.
I have a bigger issue with the Blues not being in it at all. I'd love it to be at Busch Stadium, but I'd be okay with playing at Target Field, Soldier Field, or the Big House.

I think it is absurd that some teams are in their second or third outdoor game while many teams haven't had one.

It is an example of the NHL being extremely short-sighted. In the Winter Classic, they have an excellent chance to grow the game. Instead, they throw out teams that people already know and follow. The novelty of the outdoor games was, and likely still is, enough to draw fans no matter who is playing. Instead of helping newer or struggling franchises grow and put down roots, they NHL is only focused on the profits from that day.

The NHL has an opportunity here to help teams like Colombus become more financially stable and expand their fan-base. Such an action would be good for the long-term stability of the league, both financially and franchise movement.

Instead of setting themselves up for long-term success and stability, the NHL seems to be cashing in for a quick buck, lining the pockets of the teams that need it the least. Sure, a little bit will be shared with poorer teams of the NHL. But will it be enough? Will it give them any exposure, thus helping their long term sustainability?

It is really just a pipe dream though. After all, this is the league that resisted television deals for years. The league that has had a lock-out the last three times a CBA has expired. The NHL has proven through-out its history that it is slow to react, and doesn't have much foresight.

For the record, including the games scheduled for 2014 and starting with the first Winter Classic, the Penguins will have played in three (3) outdoor games. The Rangers will also have played in three (3) outdoor games. The Blackhawks, the Flyers, and the Red Wings will each have two (2).

Last edited by bluemandan: 04-17-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: getting my facts straight before getting called out =D
Old
04-17-2013, 01:57 PM
ExJbeck

Revenue.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:12 PM
BadgersandBlues

I'm over outdoor games. They suck to go to. It's cold, you can't see anything, and the tickets are even -more- expensive then a regular hockey game. I'm tired of watching the same teams play. Time for the NHL to move on.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:41 PM
BlueDream

Yeah all the outdoor games is dumb IMO. I personally do not care at all to see a freakin' Cali outdoor game...

But man, back to the game last night, all 3 games vs. Vancouver this year have been awesome to watch. Playoff intensity, I would love a playoff series vs. them so hopefully we could be able to get revenge.

Backes' game last night was SO awesome. God he's a beast. We would be so much worse without him.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Celtic Note
Retro Shanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Jaskin will certainly know how to train in the offseason.
I am happy with him being with the team even if he doesn't play. Training will be huge for this kid and what better way to fuel the incentive than to find up what its like in the bigs.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:56 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 466
I read the Vancouver GDT over lunch. It made me want to play them even more. There are a couple posters there who acknowledge that Burrows' play was despicable, but most of them seem deluded into thinking that is the same as the rest of the league.

I watch a lot of hockey. There are teams I root for, players I respect and admire, and a few teams I actively root against. But there's only one team I think is disgraceful. I'm not sure what it is with the culture they've fostered there, but there are lots of reasons why I should root for the Canucks and I just can't.

A couple months may go by and I kind of forget about it, then the Blues play them again and I'm reminded all over again.

Old
04-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Edgar

Does anyone know any way of figuring out who got the game puck?
You have Jaskin's first game, J-Bo's first goal with the organization, and Hitcher's 600th. So many milestones in a single game

Old
04-17-2013, 06:44 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 466
If they didn't give it to Jaskin, its a crime.

Old
04-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
The Notorious

I assume it went to jaskin.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:06 PM
jura
booze & blues

vCash: 5904
there's enough pucks for all

Old
04-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
The Notorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I have a bigger issue with the Blues not being in it at all. I'd love it to be at Busch Stadium, but I'd be okay with playing at Target Field, Soldier Field, or the Big House.

I think it is absurd that some teams are in their second or third outdoor game while many teams haven't had one.

It is an example of the NHL being extremely short-sighted. In the Winter Classic, they have an excellent chance to grow the game. Instead, they throw out teams that people already know and follow. The novelty of the outdoor games was, and likely still is, enough to draw fans no matter who is playing. Instead of helping newer or struggling franchises grow and put down roots, they NHL is only focused on the profits from that day.

The NHL has an opportunity here to help teams like Colombus become more financially stable and expand their fan-base. Such an action would be good for the long-term stability of the league, both financially and franchise movement.

Instead of setting themselves up for long-term success and stability, the NHL seems to be cashing in for a quick buck, lining the pockets of the teams that need it the least. Sure, a little bit will be shared with poorer teams of the NHL. But will it be enough? Will it give them any exposure, thus helping their long term sustainability?

It is really just a pipe dream though. After all, this is the league that resisted television deals for years. The league that has had a lock-out the last three times a CBA has expired. The NHL has proven through-out its history that it is slow to react, and doesn't have much foresight.

For the record, including the games scheduled for 2014 and starting with the first Winter Classic, the Penguins will have played in three (3) outdoor games. The Rangers will also have played in three (3) outdoor games. The Blackhawks, the Flyers, and the Red Wings will each have two (2).
The NHL is all about that money!!!

No seriously, the NHL isn't going to have an outdoor game involving the blues anytime soon because our fanbase just is not that big. I could maybe, maybe see a game in chi town but thats about it.

You also have to take the weather into thought as well. STL weather is crazy, who knows how warm it could be by the time of the game if there was one here. You really cannot play a game outdoor unless its under 35 degrees and thats pushing it.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Borderbluesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Know what's weird? The Preds are my second team. But don't tell anybody.
You know, that's weird because I also hate the Preds, but love the way that they play hockey. Always worry about playing the Preds because of the way that they play the game. Always a good game vs. Blues because of their style and the way they matchup against us.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:43 PM
superblues
:sarcasm: implied

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post

No seriously, the NHL isn't going to have an outdoor game involving the blues anytime soon because our fanbase just is not that big. I could maybe, maybe see a game in chi town but thats about it.

You also have to take the weather into thought as well. STL weather is crazy, who knows how warm it could be by the time of the game if there was one here. You really cannot play a game outdoor unless its under 35 degrees and thats pushing it.
I seriously doubt a January game here would be warmer than the game at Dodger Stadium. Outdoor games can be played in warmer temps than 35 deg F. Most indoor rinks and arenas are substantially warmer than that temperature. Next time you go to a Blues game see if your breath turns to steam. The ice surface is frozen from underneath and inside the ice. Temperature doesn't become a serious issue until it gets into the 60s.

I do agree with your point about money and market size.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:02 AM
diehardbluesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post

Would you consider the Ducks and Kings as having a big fanbase? I wouldn't. Theirs probably grew after their SC run, but before that, I doubt many casual fans could name you more than 1 or 2 players on that team.

It's complete BS that the Blues aren't going to be in an outdoor game next season.

Old
04-18-2013, 07:43 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbluesfan View Post
Would you consider the Ducks and Kings as having a big fanbase? I wouldn't. Theirs probably grew after their SC run, but before that, I doubt many casual fans could name you more than 1 or 2 players on that team.

It's complete BS that the Blues aren't going to be in an outdoor game next season.

Um, All the NHL cares about is revenue, TV Ratings, Large Markets and the Penguins with their star studded lineup for the winter classics games here in America. St. Louis is, and will always be, an afterthought on such events.

Closed Thread