HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now That We Have Seen Him, Opinions On Bjugstad So Far.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Now That We Have Seen Him, Opinions On Bjugstad So Far.

From what I've seen so far, and he's not getting big minutes nor playing on a line with offensively productive players, I think it may be a year or two before Bjugstad is the impact offensive player we think he can be. From what I've seen, the size advantage he had in College isn't the same in the NHL and he must develop his other skills to be the impact player in the NHL that he was in College. This is not a knock and should have been expected but I don't think the Panthers can count on him to be an offensive force next season.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

We should not have expected him to be an offensive force next season anyway. A team can't rely on a rookie who is a great but not elite prospect. Nothing has changed.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:12 AM
HockeyRulez
Lets Go Panthers!!!

eehhh he needs more time and better linemates...

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:12 AM
RainingRats

Of course we can't count on him to be an offensive force. I think he's got a good chance of starting in the AHL next season and we prob should have him there to develop his offensive game. Having Skille and Upshall as linemates doesn't help much either.

He uses his big body to protect the puck very well but he's not a physical force despite his size.

What he really needs is more confidence. He looks like he's thinking and tentative. He needs to get more confidence in his offensive game and get more comfortable at the NHL level and he'll start being okay. He has top 6 potential but right now he'd be better suited in the AHL to develop his offensive game.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:44 AM
gudzilla

as soon as teh first point comes in he'll start being more confident. so far i've liked his two way play. he doesn't lay the body a lot but he can battle in the corners and protect the puck well

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:00 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

this season ha ended up being rookie camp, as explained by DT. Let him gain minutes, and evaluate again in September.
So much has to do with whether Weiss or a lst line FA is signed.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:21 PM
ShootIt

Liked What I've seen so far.

Wasn't expecting points/goals these handful of games. Especially being thrown into the fire after the NCAA season.

Hopefully he sees What the NHL is like and What he has to work on to make the squad next year

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:40 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
From what I've seen so far, and he's not getting big minutes nor playing on a line with offensively productive players, I think it may be a year or two before Bjugstad is the impact offensive player we think he can be. From what I've seen, the size advantage he had in College isn't the same in the NHL and he must develop his other skills to be the impact player in the NHL that he was in College. This is not a knock and should have been expected but I don't think the Panthers can count on him to be an offensive force next season.
You needed to create a thread to state the obvious?

Did anyone expect Bjugstad to come up and start tearing things up?

From what I've seen at BB&T - he looks big out there. His strength is obvious - even against NHL men - when he takes the body it's generally the opposing player who gets the worst of it... and it's only going to get better.

In a couple of years, I think this guy is going to create major headaches for opposing teams.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:51 PM
AmericanJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
You needed to create a thread to state the obvious?

Did anyone expect Bjugstad to come up and start tearing things up?

From what I've seen at BB&T - he looks big out there. His strength is obvious - even against NHL men - when he takes the body it's generally the opposing player who gets the worst of it... and it's only going to get better.

In a couple of years, I think this guy is going to create major headaches for opposing teams.
I couldn't agree more. Beyond what you already said, he's had moments when he's displayed good hockey IQ and vision. In a couple of years, or maybe even next year, those moments will stack up to form consistent game-to-game norms. I don't like when we try to gauge how long it will be before a player approaches his potential, or even when we debate what the ceiling of that potential is. Its not a negative thing on us-its in our nature as sports fans to draw out evaluations-but so much of his development depends on him; its not fair to make projections when he's so young. I don't see any reason why he cant be an all-star, and I don't see many indicators that he'll be a bust. I'm all for him spending the first half of next season in the AHL, though

AmericanJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dej View Post
as soon as teh first point comes in he'll start being more confident. so far i've liked his two way play. he doesn't lay the body a lot but he can battle in the corners and protect the puck well
Yeah, I like his backchecking. His skating and battle along the boards are good too.

I'm still ticked that Dineen only let him, Huby, and Matthias play 20 seconds of that last PP. We already know what Kopy, Goc, and Flash look like as a unit. Why give them 1:40 of that PP? And why throw out Upshall as the extra skater? Sux

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Eggblag
#1 Fanthers Pan!

I think he's been okay on a terrible team. Since the plan is obviously to stay the course and build through the draft, these kids are going to be relied upon to produce. Their line mates aren't going to get better. They are eventually going to have to be the difference makers. Then Tallon will bring in the extra line talent through trades or FA pickups to top the cake.

Eggblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:02 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Yeah, I like his backchecking. His skating and battle along the boards are good too.

I'm still ticked that Dineen only let him, Huby, and Matthias play 20 seconds of that last PP. We already know what Kopy, Goc, and Flash look like as a unit. Why give them 1:40 of that PP? And why throw out Upshall as the extra skater? Sux

-ghoste
they seeing if upshall should be bought out? only logical reason

Old
04-18-2013, 02:07 AM
5 Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
this season ha ended up being rookie camp, as explained by DT.
Yes.

5 Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Montsy14

Still haven't really seen enough to make an opinion. It's going to take more than 10 games to confidently make an assessment.

One thing I have noticed is that he seems to be really focusing on his play in the defensive zone.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Still haven't really seen enough to make an opinion. It's going to take more than 10 games to confidently make an assessment.

One thing I have noticed is that he seems to be really focusing on his play in the defensive zone.
He's always very mindful of his own zone, much like Shore. I can't wait until he gets put on the PK. He clogs passing lanes and gets his stick on pucks with his condor-like reach.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:34 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post

Yeah I'll second this he looks like hes very much focused on the defensive side of the ice. I think we'll have to be more patient with him than guys like Shore and Howden, big men always take a longer time.

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:39 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I think it's way too early to tell what to make of him. Tallon brought him in just to see the game at the pro level, which should help him adjust to what he needs to work on during the off-season.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:13 PM
gudzilla

nvm made seperate topic

Last edited by gudzilla: 04-25-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Holy Jokinen

I've already seen some pretty big improvements in the few games he's been up with the big club. Where he used to tentatively play the puck quickly, i now see him taking a bit more time and making a smart solid play with the puck. He still needs work, and should gain some confidence at the AHL level hopefully, but i'm not worried at all. I still think everyone is spoiled by Huby's performance, which is a rare one.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote