HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boucher fired, Cooper to TB, Zettler in SYR | Bowness & George Gwozdecky hired

Old
03-30-2013, 10:13 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 50
Time for a Cooperisms thread already?

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

vCash: 500
I found it guys. IT.

Jon Cooper on Referees
https://www.facebook.com/video/video...=1270753841394

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:11 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

So Boucher is doing a thing this afternoon. I've heard a conference call with the Lightning, a presser with just him, a PC with him and the Lightning. Whatever. I'm not sure what it is, but something is happening this afternoon at 4:30.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:43 AM
HoseEmAllAround
Extend Matt Carle

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
So Boucher is doing a thing this afternoon. I've heard a conference call with the Lightning, a presser with just him, a PC with him and the Lightning. Whatever. I'm not sure what it is, but something is happening this afternoon at 4:30.
Interesting. I'd watch, but I have class.

HoseEmAllAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
Interesting. I'd watch, but I have class.
Conference calls usually aren't broadcasted.

Somebody ask him about the premier of his new tv series, 'Hannibal'.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 04-03-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old
04-03-2013, 07:31 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Welcome Home

Boucher speaks about being fired

http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/form...medium=twitter

Quote:
“I wanted to let my emotions settle down and I didn’t want to be a distraction,’’ Boucher said Wednesday at Tampa Bay’s alternate practice rink in explaining his silence since he was sent home from Winnipeg on March 24 after a 5-3 setback at Ottawa. “My story is very simple – I’m very grateful to have had an opportunity to coach in the NHL and in such a great organization. It’s truly been an incredible ride, one we’re going to cherish for the rest of our lives.’’
Quote:
“It was a shock,’’ he said of the short conversation with Yzerman, informing Boucher he had coached his final game with the Lightning. “But that’s the business and you have to deal with it. The last three Stanley Cup champion coaches have all gone through it. It’s something you have to deal with and it puts a lot of things in perspective. This is difficult. It’s a tough one, but adversity makes you grow.’’

Boucher said he didn’t notice any change in his relationship with Yzerman in the weeks leading up to his dismissal as Tampa Bay struggled to contend for a playoff berth in the Eastern Conference.

“Steve and I had had a brief conversation that day and he said he wanted to make a change,’’ Boucher said. “We didn’t have any problems. We stuck together as a team and as a staff and made a lot happen. You can’t control injuries and you can’t control personnel that’s available and not available.’’

Old
04-03-2013, 07:42 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Class act is Mr. Boucher.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:05 AM
ultra63

Say it ain't so Steve [mod: asst. coaches being retained]

"If a new contract can be worked out (and there doesn't seem to be reason it will not), goaltenders coach Frantz Jean will be back next season, GM Steve Yzerman said.

"He's extremely professional. He's very bright and represents our organization well," Yzerman said of Jean, hired in September 2010. "And I like his philosophy on goaltending. It's straightforward and fundamentally sound."

Yzerman already announced assistants Dan Lacroix and Steve Thomas will return."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...return/2115634

I would have rather fired all the assistants and kept Boucher.

Last edited by ultra63: 04-17-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: link
ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Jacko95

Damn that's weird, so if he trusts Frantz than he HAS TO get our D going, because than goaltending isn't the big problem in SYs eyes.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:53 AM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
"If a new contract can be worked out (and there doesn't seem to be reason it will not), goaltenders coach Frantz Jean will be back next season, GM Steve Yzerman said.

"He's extremely professional. He's very bright and represents our organization well," Yzerman said of Jean, hired in September 2010. "And I like his philosophy on goaltending. It's straightforward and fundamentally sound."

Yzerman already announced assistants Dan Lacroix and Steve Thomas will return."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...return/2115634

I would have rather fired all the assistants and kept Boucher.
Aww come on Steve. Frantz is ****ing awful. Name one goaltender he coached to be a good one. Couldn't even find one from the Moncton days.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:01 AM
broad

I always find it odd when fans praise or criticize goaltending coaches. I remember a lot of Caps fans were unhappy that Arturs Irbe left us.

But the thing is, goalie coaching is about as behind the scenes as you can get. Unless you go to the practises and are able to hear every word, you really have nothing to judge their ability on.

I know Tampa has had goalie difficulties since Khabibulin left but that's more due to the quality of the replacements than one goalie coach ruining them.

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:20 AM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by broad View Post
I always find it odd when fans praise or criticize goaltending coaches. I remember a lot of Caps fans were unhappy that Arturs Irbe left us.

But the thing is, goalie coaching is about as behind the scenes as you can get. Unless you go to the practises and are able to hear every word, you really have nothing to judge their ability on.

I know Tampa has had goalie difficulties since Khabibulin left but that's more due to the quality of the replacements than one goalie coach ruining them.
Every goaltender who has come here since 2010 (when Frantz came in) has had significant drops in their stats compared to other places they've played. Then take Roloson, a veteran guy who's seen it all. He ended up telling the media that he went on a hot streak when he blocked out what the coaches were saying and doing his own thing. Uh oh, red flag there!

Old
04-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
Every goaltender who has come here since 2010 (when Frantz came in) has had significant drops in their stats compared to other places they've played. Then take Roloson, a veteran guy who's seen it all. He ended up telling the media that he went on a hot streak when he blocked out what the coaches were saying and doing his own thing. Uh oh, red flag there!
Mike Smith indicated something similar when he was succeeding in Phoenix.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 04-17-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old
04-17-2013, 11:26 AM
HoseEmAllAround
Extend Matt Carle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
Honestly, I think that was so blown out of proportion by fans, it wasn't even funny. I'm not saying Frantz is good or bad, but let's be honest with ourselves. That Caps fan is right. We don't know what happens. Our D has not done any favors for our goaltending for the past couple years. Roloson was just saying he went back to some old drills that he had done before, and they seemed to work. That was when he was hot. He had a shutout at the beginning of that season. Were we complimenting Frantz for that? No.

I've said it from the beginning. We don't know what the coaching is like. Yzerman does. And the players talk to Yzerman. He knows what he's doing.

For the record, I'm not against firing Frantz, as I think our coaching staff needs an overhaul under Cooper. I'm a little confused though - is the article saying that Cooper won't get any new assistants? At all? We're keeping everybody as is?

EDIT: As for Mike Smith, he has a completely different defense in front of him. You can't tell me that different D wouldn't make a goaltender look different. Phoenix doesn't give their opposition prime chances. We do. Look no further than last night. How many chances did we give the Jets in the slot, the highest scoring chance place on the ice? A lot. Other teams don't do that. Again, look no further than Phoenix and Bryzgalov. Bryz now sucks on the Flyers because their defense isn't much better than ours. Smith succeeds in Phoenix because their defense is much better than ours.

Last edited by HoseEmAllAround: 04-17-2013 at 11:33 AM.
HoseEmAllAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

If Frantz Jean and Dan LaCroix are coming back, that's a pretty damning statement against Marty Raymond.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:34 AM
ArmchairGoalie

I'm not sure why Stevie Y won't let Cooper pick his own assistants. Seems odd to me.

ArmchairGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGoalie View Post
I'm not sure why Stevie Y won't let Cooper pick his own assistants. Seems odd to me.
You know this point will be refuted.

Anyone know where to find documentation that LaCroix and Thomas would return next season? Seems like a pretty big detail to have been announced and not written about.

and does saying that they'll 'return' necessarily mean that they'll have the same roles they have now?

Last edited by Felonious Python: 04-17-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old
04-17-2013, 11:55 AM
ArmchairGoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
You know this point will be refuted.
By all means, please refute. It just looks like that is case.

ArmchairGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGoalie View Post
By all means, please refute. It just looks like that is case.
It'll be refuted by the organization is what I mean.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92
Aww come on Steve. Frantz is ****ing awful. Name one goaltender he coached to be a good one. Couldn't even find one from the Moncton days.
http://www.moncton-wildcats.com/arti...ife-in-the-nhl

Quote:
Jean worked with six Moncton goaltenders who went on to the pros - Nicola Riopel, Corey Crawford, Simon Lajeunesse, Josh Tordjman, Jean-Francois Damphousse and Jean-Francois Racine.
0.926 SV%
1.92 GAA
17-4-4

Lecavilier_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:18 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
And I think he's overrated and benefiting from being on the machine that is Chicago

Old
04-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

EE
Quote:
Want to add one asst., not sure on GT coach RT @dschara36 Are assistant/goaltending coach changes likely to happen in the off-season?
https://twitter.com/erlendssonTBO/st...69853421821952

Old
04-17-2013, 01:17 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post

EDIT: As for Mike Smith, he has a completely different defense in front of him. You can't tell me that different D wouldn't make a goaltender look different. Phoenix doesn't give their opposition prime chances. We do. Look no further than last night. How many chances did we give the Jets in the slot, the highest scoring chance place on the ice? A lot. Other teams don't do that. Again, look no further than Phoenix and Bryzgalov. Bryz now sucks on the Flyers because their defense isn't much better than ours. Smith succeeds in Phoenix because their defense is much better than ours.
Sean Burke is arguably the best in business. Both Bryz and Smith have spoken highly of him.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:42 PM
jg39
SFY is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Sean Burke is arguably the best in business. Both Bryz and Smith have spoken highly of him.
And he was a part of that amazing goaltending dynamo () that was Grahame-Burke, so he has history in Tampa. I would be all for bringing him here.

jg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:48 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg39 View Post
And he was a part of that amazing goaltending dynamo () that was Grahame-Burke, so he has history in Tampa. I would be all for bringing him here.
I would be ok with that