HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2013, 12:57 PM
blupye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Flames will get a very, very good prospect no matter what. They picked a great year to start their "non-rebuild" rebuild.

Drouin/Baertschi would still be about the extent of their elite prospects depending on what they get with their other 2 1st rounders.

I don't think we can worry much about what they get though when the Oilers have so many needs of their own. If the Oilers pick in the top 7 they'll get an elite prospect as well. Monahan/Nurse would be a hell of a pickup and would give the Oilers prospect cupboard a lot more depth than the Flames.
Why don't they package their other two 1st round picks and pull of a Sedin draft day and take MacKinnon and Drouin.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupye View Post
Why don't they package their other two 1st round picks and pull of a Sedin draft day and take MacKinnon and Drouin.
That wouldn't be enough. And they don't have the pieces to finish that deal.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:13 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

They'd probably have to include Bartschi for that to happen and maybe not then

Old
04-17-2013, 01:13 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
If you had the #2 or #3 pick, would you trade it for the #20 and #28 picks?

04-17-2013, 01:14 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
They'd have to add Bartschi+++. Their other two firsts are gonna be really low.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:22 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
They'd probably have to include Bartschi for that to happen and maybe not then
If Calgary put their 2014 1st rounder on the table and included the Stl pick on the table they might get somebody to bite.

Teams have to assume the Flames pick next year will be top 5 (if not higher). So getting a really good player in the teens in a very deep draft and a top player next year might be appealing to say a team like Fla

Old
04-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Thrill22
Feelin' it

From everything I've seen, Lindholm should be picked before Monahan. If Lindholm were to fall a bit, and there was a choice between them for the Oilers, would it still be Monahan that would be the best fit?

Old
04-17-2013, 04:59 PM
blupye

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
If you had the #2 or #3 pick, would you trade it for the #20 and #28 picks?

They will have (3) 1st round picks (CGY,STL,PIT). Calgary pick will be in top 5, probably 4th. I realize the others will be high picks but this is a complete rebuild so trade some assets.

Old
04-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrill22 View Post
From everything I've seen, Lindholm should be picked before Monahan. If Lindholm were to fall a bit, and there was a choice between them for the Oilers, would it still be Monahan that would be the best fit?
I would be curious to know what you have seen that would make you say this. I know almost nothing about Lindholm, but I have seen lots of Monahan and I think he would be a fantastic addition. He could break in in 2014-2015 on the third line. He might even be ready next year.

Old
04-17-2013, 06:39 PM
misfit

Quote:
They will have (3) 1st round picks (CGY,STL,PIT). Calgary pick will be in top 5, probably 4th. I realize the others will be high picks but this is a complete rebuild so trade some assets.
I'm talking about the team that has the #2 or #3 pick on draft day (assuming the Flames already hold the other) and why they would give up that pick for the STL and PIT picks (which are currently 20 and 28) to allow Calgary to take both Drouin and Monahan.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Thrill22
Feelin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I would be curious to know what you have seen that would make you say this. I know almost nothing about Lindholm, but I have seen lots of Monahan and I think he would be a fantastic addition. He could break in in 2014-2015 on the third line. He might even be ready next year.
I guess I may have spoken before checking - in various lists and mocks (pro and amateur) it just always seemed that Lindholm was going a few spots higher than Monahan. Looking back, they're ranked pretty closely in a lot of articles I could find, was more just asking if Lindholm, aside from the size, even though he apparently plays a gritty game, could be an option over Monahan if they were both available.

I really have no preconceived notion of either player, was more or less just asking an opinion.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

So hypothetically we end up in position to snag Mackinnon, do we actually want him?

Skill and potential aside, he's another small'ish forward who isn't known for his physical game. Though he is a centre, if we got him then surely one of the top kids has to go, right?

Personally if we were sitting 3rd/4th it would be hard not to take the bigger Barkov instead.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
So hypothetically we end up in position to snag Mackinnon, do we actually want him?

Skill and potential aside, he's another small'ish forward who isn't known for his physical game. Though he is a centre, if we got him then surely one of the top kids has to go, right?

Personally if we were sitting 3rd/4th it would be hard not to take the bigger Barkov instead.
3 or 4 would be a good spot for us, we would for sure get Barkov or Monahan.

If we pick first I'd take Jones, I'd probably pick Barkov at 2nd or 3rd over Drouin and Mackinnon, and if we're picking 3-5 I'd hope for Monahan.

This is a top 5 where we should pick for need, I think Jones/Monahan/Barkov are probably ready to play in the NHL right away and they aren't smurfs. We really need vets right now more than anything, but this draft will still be quite interesting for the Oilers.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post

Yeah I'm not interested in him or Drouin. It would be hard to pass up on that though, and it's always risky trading down and regretting it later. If we drafted Mackinnon, Eberle and Gagner are both traded down the road.

It's hard to see us being a team with a top 6 looking like this in terms of cap hit in a few years:

6-6-6
6-5-6

So anyways, I think we would be better off either trading down, trading for an established top defenceman, or maybe reaching a bit and picking Barkov like you said.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:34 PM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Yeah I'm not interested in him or Drouin. It would be hard to pass up on that though, and it's always risky trading down and regretting it later. If we drafted Mackinnon, Eberle and Gagner are both traded down the road.

It's hard to see us being a team with a top 6 looking like this in terms of cap hit in a few years:

6-6-6
6-5-6

So anyways, I think we would be better off either trading down, trading for an established top defenceman, or maybe reaching a bit and picking Barkov like you said.
If we draft Mackinnon or Barkov Gagner is going to go for sure. We would have them on ELC for 3 years, I'm okay with having that kind of problem later on anyways. You give it time and you trade the one who has performed the least once that ELC is up. If it's Eberle, so be it. Unless he really bombed out over the next 3 years, he would fetch a great return of young assets/draft picks.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Delicious Pancakes

For those who want to know more about Lindholm you can check out the last page of his thread on the prospects board. Has a highlight video of his first season in the SEL. Also has 4th highest PPG by a draft eligible in SEL history at .63 behind the Sedins and Peter Forsberg (thanks Totally Radivojavic).

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...099093&page=13

Old
04-17-2013, 11:08 PM
40oz

Am I the only one who's really sick of seeing every player who isn't 6'2 being written off?
It's incredibly enraging.

You don't draft Monahan's or Barkov's ahead of players like MacKinnon because of a couple inches.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:11 PM
oilersfan11

Calgary wins 3-2 over Detroit.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:15 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Calgary just beat Detroit and now has 38 points. So what's worse, Calgary picking ahead of the Oilers at the draft, or the Flames finishing ahead of the Oilers in the standings with a semi-AHL lineup? Personally I'm fine with them drafting behind the Oilers.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:23 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Calgary just beat Detroit and now has 38 points. So what's worse, Calgary picking ahead of the Oilers at the draft, or the Flames finishing ahead of the Oilers in the standings with a semi-AHL lineup? Personally I'm fine with them drafting behind the Oilers.
Ya,I don't think it's going to happen.Judging by the Oilers' efforts,they're gunning for a top 3 pick.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:57 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Teams behind the Oilers and their recent records:

Tampa Bay... 38 pts... 5 games left... 9 pts in last 10 games
Calgary... 38 pts... 5 games left... 8 pts in last 10 games
Nashville... 38 pts... 4 games left... 4 pts in last 10 games
Carolina... 36 pts... 6 games left... 4 pts in last 10 games
Colorado... 35 pts... 5 games left... 9 pts in last 10 games
Florida... 32 pts... 6 games left... 8 pts in last 10 games

With Edmonton playing the way they are... I can see Calgary and Tampa passing them quite easily.

Nashville and Carolina are playing like total crap and they will likely stay in the bottom 4.

Florida is likely too far down to crawl out of the basement.

That leaves Colorado... who are playing "relatively" well with 9 pts in their last 10 games. It will come down to the head to head with the Oilers to see who wants to suck more and get the higher draft pick. Got to go with the Avs for the win at this point as they are the "hotter" team and playing on home ice.

Certainly looks like the Oilers are heading towards a bottom 5 finish but bottom 3 still looks like a longshot.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:59 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I wonder if Edmonton might have some interest in Brandon Gormley for that pick. Thoughts?

Old
04-18-2013, 12:05 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I wonder if Edmonton might have some interest in Brandon Gormley for that pick. Thoughts?
not for our 1st, no

04-18-2013, 12:05 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Am I the only one who's really sick of seeing every player who isn't 6'2 being written off?
It's incredibly enraging.

You don't draft Monahan's or Barkov's ahead of players like MacKinnon because of a couple inches.
I agree with this for the most part, however I think Barkov and MacKinnon are so close that they're interchangeable. But yes, it's ridiculous to suggest picking Monahan over MacKinnon, and personally I'd say over Lindholm too.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:36 AM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Not at all.

I can't say that the Oilers would trade the pick or not, but if they did, I'm quite confident that it wouldn't be for a guy like Gormley.

If MacT trades the pick outright, he would want a player who could come in and be a difference maker at the NHL level immediately. Gormley might be ready to make the jump to the NHL this coming season, but not in the capacity the Oilers would need him to be if they're giving up a top 10 pick in this draft. Especially if it ends up in the 4-7 range. The Oilers need established NHL defensemen, not another prospect. Gormley might not even be ahead of Klefbom (who most expect to be on the Oilers' roster next season) on their depth chart.

Closed Thread