HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

EDM and PHI

Old
04-17-2013, 01:47 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
One season (and a lockout shortened one at that) does not make a rookie d man better than a proven top 4 d man who has been in the league for 8 years.
Coburn is a dime a dozen player. Let's be honest - he stinks for about 30 games a year, plays decent in about 20, then is excellent for 30 games and the playoffs. Let's not over estimate Coburn - he's a defenseman that the Flyers already have two of in Grossmann and Schenn. The only difference is that they're at least capable of playing well over a full season. We've all seen Coburn play and at this point, I'll easily take the first year player in Schultz over the eight year veteran that still can't put together one consistently good season.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I am no CBA expert but I believe at whatever time the season starts, Chris Pronger's salary counts against the cap. So before that start time, the Flyers have to be cap complaint, so any use of the 10% has to be gone at that time. Once the season begins, Pronger can go immediately on LTIR. Then his 4.9 mil becomes eligible to use. That's my understanding of it.
That doesn't seem to make sense.

You can't slide ELCs or assign players to the AHL in the offseason (i.e., before Day 1 of the regular season). That would mean that there is always going to be some period when teams who have maximized their offseason cap space are over the regular season salary cap, no?

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
That doesn't seem to make sense.

You can't slide ELCs or assign players to the AHL in the offseason (i.e., before Day 1 of the regular season). That would mean that there is always going to be some period when teams who have maximized their offseason cap space are over the regular season salary cap, no?
I thought you could assign players to the AHL before the official start of the NHL season. Didn't B.Schenn have that happen 2 seasons ago?

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I thought you could assign players to the AHL before the official start of the NHL season. Didn't B.Schenn have that happen 2 seasons ago?
I thought he was assigned on Day 1.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I thought he was assigned on Day 1.
Looks like I was mistaken. Here is a an article from tsn.ca in 2010 that says you can use LTIR to get cap compliant on day one. My bad.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=336403

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:20 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

I'd trade Coburn for Edmonton's first or Shultz. I dont know if Edmonton would. Coburn has years where he is effective, but he definitely wasnt this year. The Flyers needed Coburn to step up and contribute offensively and didnt, so I would be happy to trade him for piece that could do that.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote