HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oscar Klefbom Thread | 10GP: 0G-3A-3PTS +7

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2013, 06:43 AM
LaGu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
If he's NHL ready than he's NHL ready.
What's the point of starting him in OKC if he doesn't belong there?

That being said, I hope the Oilers do the right thing and don't just give him a job. Hopefully GMMACT (coining that now) can bring in some help on D and actually make this kid earn the job in TC.

Klefa is in Edmonton right now and skating/working out etc
Finally, I was beginning to lose hope...

Old
04-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Nail and Nuge

I can't help but think that the worst thing we could do for this guy is put him directly into the NHL.

Look at Schultz. (Justin, not the idol for Klefbom that is our veritable top 4 d-man Nick). Justin is now officially struggling. He has hit -17 in +/- and is getting murdered in the post game E. Journal analysis. I am a huge, massive, gigantic Justin fan. However, the kid has hit the wall.

So, if Justin hits the wall, despite: a) being healthy and not coming off significant surgery, and b) destroying the AHL, exactly what chance does Klefbom have?

Please. Send Klefa to the AHL. Bring in another top d-man by using your assets (The 2013 1st overall, Gagner, Hemsky) and develop Klefbom in a logical, stepwise progression.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:47 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail and Nuge View Post
I can't help but think that the worst thing we could do for this guy is put him directly into the NHL.

Look at Schultz. (Justin, not the idol for Klefbom that is our veritable top 4 d-man Nick). Justin is now officially struggling. He has hit -17 in +/- and is getting murdered in the post game E. Journal analysis. I am a huge, massive, gigantic Justin fan. However, the kid has hit the wall.

So, if Justin hits the wall, despite: a) being healthy and not coming off significant surgery, and b) destroying the AHL, exactly what chance does Klefbom have?

Please. Send Klefa to the AHL. Bring in another top d-man by using your assets (The 2013 1st overall, Gagner, Hemsky) and develop Klefbom in a logical, stepwise progression.
Same chance as everyone else.

Since when did Schultz become the point of reference for all young defencemen? Especially for one who doesn't even remotely resemble Schultz in terms of how they play the game and/or in body size/strength.

I wouldn't mind another D but man it's depressing how little faith people seem to have for the normal process that the organization has for deciding where a player should be playing.

He will most probably be given a couple of games from the start, then depending on how it goes they either send him to OKC or keep him up. I hope he stays up because that would mean, literally, that he's an improvement of what we already have on our blue line.

Why can't we just be happy that we have a prospect who is so talented that he is by many considered a lock for next year's line up and a future 1st pairing D? Who knows what will happen but I am thrilled that he is considered highly by the organization as I think they actually do know a thing or two about hockey players and potential.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:47 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

If he proves on the ice in full contact drills that he's completely over the injury and he undoubtedly earns a spot if he has a stellar TC and preseason then be on the big club playing bottom pairing minutes and be eased into the lineup. He shouldn't be handed a spot due to management's inability to bring in a legit defenseman.

I prefer that he plays in OKC for at least the first part of the season, get acclimated to the pro game then he'll be ready for full time duty once he hits the NHL but if he truly earns a spot then he should play with the Oilers starting on opening night.

Quote:

Totally different situations.
The jump from college to the pros is a much steeper learning curve than from the SEL to the NHL.
Also, Klefbom is much more physically equipped to handle the rigors of the NHL than Schultz is at this point of their respective careers.
I agree with the jist of your post, i just disagree with using Schultz as a benchmark for Klefbom's NHL readiness.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:56 AM
topchowda

1)I think he can start in NHL, imagining he didn't regress from injury, he has the skill. He COULD play bottom pairing/maybe top 4. But not whats best for him
2) he should start in the AHL and play big minutes, brodin did because of lockout
3)If we rush him, he might peak at N. Schultz, if we let him develop his overall game he could be a Seabrook
4) If we cant get a vet and need a rookie D to move to the Oil in order to let Klefbom develop. Bring up Fedun. He would provide similar offense and probably just as good D as Kefa would for the first 20 or so games. They would have similar impacts in those first 20 games, but bringing him u would let Klefbom develop/ let Fedun see the NHL in a bottom pairing role. Then bring Klefbom up after if hes good in the AHL

Im prbaly the biggest Klefbom fanboy on HFOil, just love what he brings. I was seriously worried MacT would trade him just to make that splash risky move. I may be so much of a fan thatd id be more willing to move Eberle for a top pairing D then Klefbom+ for a top 4 vet

Last edited by topchowda: 04-17-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old
04-17-2013, 10:12 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:

Maybe they should send Schultz to the AHL for 13-14 to give him a season to get used to the North American game.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Justin Schultz plays an offensive game, has hit the rookie/NCAA wall and it is far easier to just look after your own end first. Kelfbom is big, strong, and fast enough to play at the NHL level. If he's also defensively responsible enough then he's an NHL player right now. What I would like to see is another veteran or two added in the event that he needs some seasoning. This means no more Potter in the top 6 or on the team and we can afford the luxury of giving him AHL time if he needs it.

04-17-2013, 02:59 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
the perfect answer is to pick up a 4-5 vet defenceman and plan on playing him. if Klefbom forces his way onto the team then you make room for him. if he doesnt then we arent looking around like idiots wondering what to do

Old
04-18-2013, 12:19 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
the perfect answer is to pick up a 4-5 vet defenceman and plan on playing him. if Klefbom forces his way onto the team then you make room for him. if he doesnt then we arent looking around like idiots wondering what to do
Hey now quit trying to be so reasonable. That's just not how things are done around here. Clearly we only need 5 defensemen if we have Schultz and Klefbom.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:59 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
I expect this will be the case. MacT has to know that counting on Klefbom to take top 6 minutes would be suicide. Plan A has to be 6 real NHL level defensemen. If Klefbom outplays one of them then we have depth. Real depth. Not "a plethora of 8th dmen" depth.

Old
04-18-2013, 04:58 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I expect this will be the case. MacT has to know that counting on Klefbom to take top 6 minutes would be suicide. Plan A has to be 6 real NHL level defensemen. If Klefbom outplays one of them then we have depth. Real depth. Not "a plethora of 8th dmen" depth.
You seriously can't be upset with us having Potter and Peckham on the squad can you?

Old
04-18-2013, 09:16 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
If he's outplaying Nick Schultz, put him in and find a PMD to play on the third pairing with Nick.

If Nick has ANYTHING on him, send him down to the AHL until the coaching staff is sure he's ready to steal Nick's spot.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Bank Shot

Remember when Lander had a good training camp and then proceeded to drown?

Put Klefbom in the minors and use him as an injury replacement if he is crushing it. He would still get 30-40 games in that way if he is ready.

But frankly it really looks like the Oilers need to be playing Justin Schultz on the third pairing next season, so there isn't much room for anyone else to be learning on the job.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
I don't think that's the perfect answer..What we need is at least one top 2 defenceman in the mix. Waiting around 3-4 years for Klefbom/Schultz to emerge into that position keeps us near the bottom again. We already have Petry and Smid in the top 4 roles and about 50 bottom pairings....Get a top 2 and let's see if Schultz can handle it with some help. Klefbom should be either 3rd pairing or OKC to start..

That's one of MacT's jobs and if he fails, he's no better than ST. We can't continue to wait for all the young players to grow without the support they/we need. Mac talked of bold moves and getting depth we need so I hope that includes that top 2 D.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Koto

is the title of this thread current? hes at oiler practice?

Old
04-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Beerfish

Our Dmen in general are so horrid at moving the puck at all Klefbom will come in and be top 2 guy immediately. As for going and getting a 4-5 dman, we already have about 4 or 5 of those guys.

Re Justin Schultz, #1 get him a d partner that is not a total jag who does nothing well. #2 I worry about the coaching he is receiving.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Halibut

Why does anyone think Klefbom is ready for the NHL? He missed virtually the entire season due to injury, missed out on time to learn and develop but somehow he's ready to jump right into the NHL? Sounds crazy to me. Leave him in Sweden another year.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Why does anyone think Klefbom is ready for the NHL? He missed virtually the entire season due to injury, missed out on time to learn and develop but somehow he's ready to jump right into the NHL? Sounds crazy to me. Leave him in Sweden another year.
Why is he ready? Brodin was ready, larsson and hedman played a lot. then there is this little thing about comparing him to our present Dmen. He's probably better than 3 or 4 of those dudes right now. I'd rather send Petry and N Schultz to sweden.

Also re development, I view over seas development to be a bit better than college development which is a good step below AHL or NHL in progress development.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:14 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
is the title of this thread current? hes at oiler practice?
Nope it is old, I will remove that part

Quote:
He isn't going back to Sweden. He's already said that. It's OKC or Edmonton for him next season.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:34 PM
LaGu

Quote:
I can only speak for myself but I think he has been ready to jump directly into our line-up since February 2012 (although I think that it was good to leave him in SEL for another year considering that he didn't consider himself ready last summer).

I see no reason what-so-ever to leave him in Sweden. He seems pretty committed (since about a year back) to come over to NA this year, even if that would mean playing in the AHL. Why should we be stopping him?

With regards to his injury I wouldn't worry so much. Before he went down in October he was playing as one of the top D-men in the SEL... Even if he has not improved one bit since that day he's still pretty damn good (and I don't think you regress in development at his age, even if you're out for a while). He's in great physical shape now, better than ever if you take his word for it. I just hope he'll give our defensemen a run for their money come training camp/pre-season. That would be great, but if he doesn't make it I'm sure he'll be just fine warming up for the big show in OKC.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:52 PM
jadeddog

Although I am in the camp thaty believes Klefbom should play at least half a season in the AHL next year, I don't think he is getting enough credit from some people for how dominant he was in the SEL earlier this season. A lot of people were saying he was the best defenceman in the entire league. The SEL is a very good pro-league, full of seasoned men in their late 20s and early 30s. There is a legit argument for the SEL being the 3rd best league in the world. Additionally, Klefbom has the physical skills (size and speed) to make his transfer to the NA game go fairly smoothly.

All that being said, I still think he should spend at least half the season in the AHL next year.

Old
04-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Hockey Fan #751

I think there's no question that when healthy he can play in the NHL next season and probably top-four minutes. The question is can he stay healthy? That's been an issue for him throughout his career and it's a huge question mark.

Old
04-18-2013, 03:34 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I can only speak for myself but I think he has been ready to jump directly into our line-up since February 2012 (although I think that it was good to leave him in SEL for another year considering that he didn't consider himself ready last summer).

I see no reason what-so-ever to leave him in Sweden. He seems pretty committed (since about a year back) to come over to NA this year, even if that would mean playing in the AHL. Why should we be stopping him?

With regards to his injury I wouldn't worry so much. Before he went down in October he was playing as one of the top D-men in the SEL... Even if he has not improved one bit since that day he's still pretty damn good (and I don't think you regress in development at his age, even if you're out for a while). He's in great physical shape now, better than ever if you take his word for it. I just hope he'll give our defensemen a run for their money come training camp/pre-season. That would be great, but if he doesn't make it I'm sure he'll be just fine warming up for the big show in OKC.
Justin Schultz was also playing 25 minutes a night in 11 games to start the year in the NHL.

11 good games in the SEL means very little.

I honestly don't know if he's ready or not, but there isn't a lot of guys that come into the NHL as d-men this young that shouldn't start in the AHL. I hate to see where Schultz would be without the lockout this year.

Old
04-18-2013, 03:39 PM
jmoss45

Quote:

Different situation. In the AHL I believe Schutlz was playing 29 minutes a game. That was a huge mistake on the Oilers part, because he's played double the games this year he did in college.

If you remember, J Schultz was great when he started the year here. Fatigue from the year has worn him out, hence why he's not as sharp.

That said, I hope to god the Oil start in in the AHL.

Old
04-18-2013, 03:41 PM
spOiler

Wasn't he getting more minutes then brodin at the end of last year by out playing him on their sel team? Brodin is a top 2 dman right now I think Klefa can manage 3rd pairing minutes...

Closed Thread