HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XIV - UFA talk now

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2013, 12:55 PM
SteveV*

vCash: 500
No offence but John Mitchell could get close to 50 points playing on the top line and first PP minutes. Stat guys go look at disparity between Phil and Tyler, it's telling.

I guess Jonas Hoglund was a first ling winger?

Old
04-17-2013, 01:02 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
No offence but John Mitchell could get close to 50 points playing on the top line and first PP minutes. Stat guys go look at disparity between Phil and Tyler, it's telling.

What are your thoughts why Kessel has not been tried with Grabo under Carlyles system? Why is it the only pair of players that have not been juggled up? I am interested in your opinion.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:02 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:

Nobody is making the case for Bozak to be anointed a No1 because he puts up points.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:06 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
What are your thoughts why Kessel has not been tried with Grabo under Carlyles system? Why is it the only pair of players that have not been juggled up? I am interested in your opinion.
That line started hot, JVR particularly, then Kessel. Hasn't really been a reason to mix it up.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:07 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Nobody is making the case for Bozak to be anointed a No1 because he puts up points.
Whatever, he's playing on the top line, top PP, so his numbers are inflated. It's you guys that are touting his production.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:08 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Whatever, he's playing on the top line, top PP, so his numbers are inflated. It's you guys that are touting his production.
I don't recall ever touting his production.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:22 PM
HarrisonFord
LA Kings Bandwagon

Question about the Bozak extension.

When can Kessel be extended? I have noticed that they haven't tried to extend Bozak, and I think what the Leafs do depends significantly on Kessel and whether he stays or not. (If they sign Bozak, I think they are making a strong statement that they are going to sign Kessel too).

But perhaps a smart GM move is to try and get Kessel to extend his contract first, and THEN resign Bozak if Kessel agrees.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:01 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
Question about the Bozak extension.

When can Kessel be extended? I have noticed that they haven't tried to extend Bozak, and I think what the Leafs do depends significantly on Kessel and whether he stays or not. (If they sign Bozak, I think they are making a strong statement that they are going to sign Kessel too).

But perhaps a smart GM move is to try and get Kessel to extend his contract first, and THEN resign Bozak if Kessel agrees.
Kessel can get extended at any point.

Sometimes its easier to lockup the complimentary players after the stars are locked up, you're right.
Teams will often lock up players before it becomes a headache in their final year and they have to answer a million questions throughout the year about whether they want to stay or go. But you have another element that you have to fight is the agents. They want to get paid too and are hoping that after a big contract year, they can push up the price. Likely Kessel's agent will wait a full year and say that he's been in the top 10 in scoring for 2 consecutive years.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:04 PM
notdoneyet

I Believe kessel cannot be signed until after july 5,2013

He can only be resigned in the last year of his contract.

Under the new CBA its July5,2013 someone with more experience in this regard
can correct me if I'm wrong.

Its the same for Dion.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:06 PM
showtime8

On a separate note, I could see the Leafs targeting a guy like Boyd Gordon in free agency. Similar to what they are getting out of Jay McClement, Gordon can kill penalties and would be a solid 4th line centre at an affordable 1.2-1.5 mill per season.

He's not going to fight, but is a terrific 58.8% in the faceoff circle. Just seems like a great fit and with McClement getting a lot of ice-time on the penalty kill, it will help taking a load of his shoulders.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Kessel can get extended at any point.

Sometimes its easier to lockup the complimentary players after the stars are locked up, you're right.
Teams will often lock up players before it becomes a headache in their final year and they have to answer a million questions throughout the year about whether they want to stay or go. But you have another element that you have to fight is the agents. They want to get paid too and are hoping that after a big contract year, they can push up the price. Likely Kessel's agent will wait a full year and say that he's been in the top 10 in scoring for 2 consecutive years.
False.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdoneyet View Post
I Believe kessel cannot be signed until after july 5,2013

He can only be resigned in the last year of his contract.

Under the new CBA its July5,2013 someone with more experience in this regard
can correct me if I'm wrong.

Its the same for Dion.
True. Although I'm not entirely sure on the July 5th. That's the new date for UFAs, but you may be able to extended your own players on July 1st still? Don't know. Let's just say he can be extended early July

Old
04-17-2013, 04:07 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
False.

True. Although I'm not entirely sure on the July 5th. That's the new date for UFAs, but you may be able to extended your own players on July 1st still? Don't know. Let's just say he can be extended early July
Why can't you sign a player that is still under contract?

I believe the most recent CBA just refers to potential UFA's in the coming season.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:55 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Why isn't Bozak being compared to Mike Fisher?
In the 07/08 season, Fisher racked up 234 hits.

He essentially put up similar point totals, while playing with lower quality line-mates, all while playing (at the very least) equally good defensively, and much, much more physical.

That's why Bozak isn't being compared to Mike Fischer.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:58 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
As long as we can pay him less then Grabovski, I think we should be happy.
Yes, we should all be thrilled if we pay Bozak more than 4 million.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Why can't you sign a player that is still under contract?

I believe the most recent CBA just refers to potential UFA's in the coming season.
You can sign a player still under contract, but only if the player is in the final year of his contract. We still have Kessel under contract for next season.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:15 PM
91Kadri91

You know, after posting, I realized how ridiculous it was for me to compare Fisher and Bozak defensively. Fisher was, when he signed his contract, unquestionably better defensively than Bozak is now.

Old
04-17-2013, 06:27 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
On a separate note, I could see the Leafs targeting a guy like Boyd Gordon in free agency. Similar to what they are getting out of Jay McClement, Gordon can kill penalties and would be a solid 4th line centre at an affordable 1.2-1.5 mill per season.

He's not going to fight, but is a terrific 58.8% in the faceoff circle. Just seems like a great fit and with McClement getting a lot of ice-time on the penalty kill, it will help taking a load of his shoulders.
that makes more sense than bozak for 3+

Old
04-17-2013, 08:04 PM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
In the 07/08 season, Fisher racked up 234 hits.

He essentially put up similar point totals, while playing with lower quality line-mates, all while playing (at the very least) equally good defensively, and much, much more physical.

That's why Bozak isn't being compared to Mike Fischer.
Bozak hits. He has 60 this season.. He might not be AS physical as Fisher, but IMO he's a better passer and skater then Fisher.

Last edited by DirtyDion03: 04-17-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old
04-17-2013, 08:41 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Bozak hits. He has 60 this season.. He might not be AS physical as Fisher, but IMO he's a better passer and skater then Fisher.
Bozak hits (again, not nearly as much as Fisher did), but Fisher was also pretty scrappy and tough in his prime. Fisher was also much better defensively.

Bozak may be the better skater and the better passer, but that really hasn't done anything to make him better than Fisher (in his prime, when he signed his extension) at anything. Even their point production is pretty similar, and Fisher didn't play with the quality of line-mates Bozak does.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
Bozak hits (again, not nearly as much as Fisher did), but Fisher was also pretty scrappy and tough in his prime. Fisher was also much better defensively.

Bozak may be the better skater and the better passer, but that really hasn't done anything to make him better than Fisher (in his prime, when he signed his extension) at anything. Even their point production is pretty similar, and Fisher didn't play with the quality of line-mates Bozak does.
Fisher is also a better shot blocker and much harder to knock off the puck.

Fisher also has far more value to Nashville then his on-ice performance.

Bozak is more comparable to Stajan or Leino when they hit UFA status.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Kb21

i'd be fine with giving bozak 5M(max), as long as it last for 3 years or less. giving us enough time, hopefully, to find a #1 C. however it is clear that we can only pay 1 of grabo or bozak.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:19 AM
The Wall

Any good veteran goaltenders on the market? I'm personally not too excited about Scrivens being solid enough to support Reimer.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wall View Post
Any good veteran goaltenders on the market? I'm personally not too excited about Scrivens being solid enough to support Reimer.
http://capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?position_id=G

Quite a few UFAs that we could go after.

Emery, Nabokov, Labarbera, Khabibulin, Garon, Ellis, Theodore, C. Mason, etc. I imagine we go after one of them with Scrivens back in the AHL.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:08 PM
facelessjoe1990

mikael Granlund? #1 or #2 with Kadri?

could Mikael Granlund be someone we should go after if we lose Bozak? He would fit into the way the team is going. How is his relationship with Wild management? Could he be available? What would it take to get him?

Old
04-18-2013, 10:09 PM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1990 View Post
could Mikael Granlund be someone we should go after if we lose Bozak? He would fit into the way the team is going. How is his relationship with Wild management? Could he be available? What would it take to get him?
Hasn't proven much at the NHL level.

Closed Thread