HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Greatest Sports Video Game Moments

Old
04-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

vCash: 500
Greatest Sports Video Game Moments

What are your greatest sports video game moments? For me:

Mutant League Hockey - Waste The Ref

Wasting the Demon Goalie was a close second (trying to score on that thing was hard enough, but making it explode when you did was just incredibly satisfying), but what other game allows you to waste the referee if no amount of palm-greasing is turning their head?

(2:20)

John Madden Football '92 - The Ambulance

Madden '92's ambulance is NHLPA '93's blood on the ice - something that licensing officials just wouldn't allow in their games any more. Alas, it's probably my favorite feature of any Madden game.

Football Champ - Super Shot

I used to play Football Champ / Hat Trick Hero a bunch in various arcades back in the UK, but never knew about the Super Shot until a few years ago. Going by description in the video of how you have to initiate one, this isn't really surprising...

NBA Jam - Backboard Smash

Pretty much became the default thing to try and do in games played amongst my friends.

NHL '94 - End Glass Smash

I'd pick Calgary on a regular basis and take hundreds of shots with MacInnis just to try and get this to happen (even though you could do it with far slower shots, as in the video below).

International Superstar Soccer '64 - The Commentator

For me, the most bizarre commentator to grace a sports game. Despite repeated efforts to get the man a pro commentating contract, nobody actually knows who he is, and he featured in only one game (he was replaced in later incarnations by the markedly less insane Tony Gubba, who unfortunately passed away this year).

Gems from his frenzied mouth include 'THAT LOOKED LIKE A PENALTY TO ME!!!' after a tackle in the center circle, 'THERE'S THE FIGHT FOR AERIAL DOMINATION!!!' said quickly enough to try and fit in the space of time it takes to header a ball, and 'a valiant attempt, but thwarted!' on having a standard run broken up. There was also the matter of the Konami audio team apparently having no idea about seamless speech inflections, so you'd often hear things like 'GERMANY!!!!!!... live another day.' and 'Northern Ireland... TURN UP THE HEAT!!!!'

He is truely the Murray Walker of soccer commentary.

I'll add more as I think of them. Let's see yours!

Sureshotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Chairman Mallard
Fun Must Be Always

I love international superstar soccer 64. To this day, even in hockey if the ref misses a call or just doesn't call the penalty, I'll yell the referee says play on! In the voice of the iss 64 commentator.

Also whenever watching soccer, if a player makes a run down either wing, you gotta yell, WILL HE CROSS IT!!!?

Last edited by Chairman Mallard: 04-16-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Best announcer ever

Leafs at Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:25 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

knocking out players in NHL 93!!
running all over the place with Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl

oh, and personal moment. I remember when the first madden game came out on the Sega Genesis. A friend of mine bought it and played for like a whole day; and me and a few others stopped by later on and I played him and he was bragging about how good he was; and I beat him in my first game.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Couple more:

FIFA International Soccer - Running Away from the Ref

In the original FIFA, if a ref was about to give you a card, you could actually run away to try and avoid being given one. This was ultimately a futile act as the game didn't continue until you stopped and let him do his duty, but it was always satisfying to make him work for it.

Brutal Sports Football - Off With Their Heads

If you injured a player enough in brutal sports football, you could take them out of the game for good by removing their head. But that didn't entirely end their participation, in that you could pick up and throw or kick their decapitated noggin around the pitch as you pleased.

Sureshotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:54 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshotte View Post
Couple more:

FIFA International Soccer - Running Away from the Ref

In the original FIFA, if a ref was about to give you a card, you could actually run away to try and avoid being given one. This was ultimately a futile act as the game didn't continue until you stopped and let him do his duty, but it was always satisfying to make him work for it.

I had never seen that before; but that is hilarious!!! Literally laughing out loud watching it at work and getting strange looks from co-workers!!

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Taro Tsujimoto

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
running all over the place with Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl

Bo Knows.

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:29 PM
MikeModano9

Beating up Gabby Jay in like 5 seconds in Super Punchout for SNES.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:54 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
there was a code in Gretzky hockey for the N64 that started a fight every time you touched another player. It was awesome, I remember one birthday party me and my friends were laughing non-stop at how every player dropped the mitts whenever they got the slightest bump

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:08 AM
MSPGabe
Born & Bred In Maine

NHL 06 where you could do fun stuff like flip the puck over the net to a teammate:

5:00 mark.

MSPGabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:10 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

It's not on the same level as the other things posted in this thread, but I got a big smile on my face the first (and so far only) time I had a son generated in the Football Manager series.

Same with the in-game April Fool's joke.

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:28 AM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

Ed - whoops, wrong thread

Since I posted however, I'm sad this isn't a "what is the greatest thing you've done in a sports game" which I thought it was, but in Super Tennis for the SNES I always enjoyed chasing ballboys. And I'd always try and do diving shots and it would never seem to work.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013

Last edited by Ceremony: 04-17-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
VGCW, when Nappa superplexed Gaben and broke the ring.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:19 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Forgot which game (NHL 94/95?) but ripping a slapshot into someone's face and having them get knocked on their ass was always awesome.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote