HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mats Zuccarello

View Poll Results: Re-sign Zucc RIGHT NOW?
YES - AT Least 1 YR 199 89.24%
I am still very unsure, if the season ended today then...YES 17 7.62%
I am still very unsure, if the season ended today then...NO 2 0.90%
Sorry, but No. 5 2.24%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Nosferatos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagh View Post
Seems he took a shot yesterday.

Haven't seen any footage from the game, just his stats. Seems he had a goal, but was on the ice for two even strength goals against?

Did anyone see it and have a view on how he played?
One of the goals against was an empty netter in the last minute, so in that situation it's sink or swim. One of our better players last night.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:57 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Nice goal.

Other than that, meh. I hate him on the PP point and think thats a huge waste of time. He was also overmatched physically in what was a very physical game.
He didn't do much at the point, but nobody else has really done well enough to secure that role, either. I'm willing to give him another game or two there. I do think that he needs to start creating more in general.

And yeah, if he's going to struggle in physical games, he won't be very useful in the playoffs.

RANGERS =
Old
04-17-2013, 09:03 AM
KenGuru

I have watched the Rangers games after he came back and I dont think he has been so very impressive. He should really play in SEL or KHL were he can dominate more. NHL is to physical for him. He might be a 40-pointer in NHL in a full season, but thats not enough for being a top 6 forward in Rangers

Old
04-17-2013, 10:21 AM
schabadoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGuru View Post
I have watched the Rangers games after he came back and I dont think he has been so very impressive. He should really play in SEL or KHL were he can dominate more. NHL is to physical for him. He might be a 40-pointer in NHL in a full season, but thats not enough for being a top 6 forward in Rangers
A team that struggles to score goals dumping their best passer.....not really sold on that.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:32 AM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGuru View Post
Zuccarello was only a bit better in the KHL than in the NHL. Somewhat over .5 ppg

He is doing fine.. if Pyatt was able to play in the top line pretty much for early season, Zuccarello can do too

Old
04-17-2013, 10:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Zuccarello was only a bit better in the KHL than in the NHL. Somewhat over .5 ppg

He is doing fine.. if Pyatt was able to play in the top line pretty much for early season, Zuccarello can do too
Can and should are two completely different situations.

04-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Vitto79

for this yr Zuc serves his purpose, needs to get top 6 minutes.

for next yr I would be his rights get dealt and he signs elsewhere as an RFA. He can play in the NHL but I imagine they want Kreider / Miller to make the team next yr out of camp.

I would like to be wrong but I imagine that's how they go even though Zuc is one of the most creative players on the team

Old
04-17-2013, 11:01 AM
NickyFotiu

Zooks was not out muscled last night anymore than any other ranger. The guys that have hated him for 2.5 seasons now just grasp at straws. During last nights telecast Pierre even said that the Rangers say Zooks may be the teams best passer.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

H8ers are throwing everything at the wall and see what sticks..

That goes for every player we got..

Old
04-17-2013, 01:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
H8ers are throwing everything at the wall and see what sticks..

That goes for every player we got..
Or the "H8ers" are willing to see that he has not lived up to the ridiculous standards the lovers set for him. He has not jump-started the offense. He has not rescued the power play.

He has been better than he was last year — to me at least— but he's still a one-dimensional player with definite flaws.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Or the "H8ers" are willing to see that he has not lived up to the ridiculous standards the lovers set for him. He has not jump-started the offense. He has not rescued the power play.

He has been better than he was last year — to me at least— but he's still a one-dimensional player with definite flaws.
He is still one of the only players who creates any offense and probably this teams best passer.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He is still one of the only players who creates any offense and probably this teams best passer.
That's fine. I'm just trying to raise the level of discourse from "H8ers gonna h8". And he might be creating offense, but it's not showing up on the score sheet (not saying that's his fault).

Old
04-17-2013, 01:40 PM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 400
If he had guys who can finish, guys who are in the crease, he would finish more with his passes.myou think he's used to seeing 3 guys behind the net flailing around endlessly cycling? I'd ask to be traded off this team ASAP, no offensive creativity whatsoever, no camaraderie, no nothing. Just a deal lifeless team.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Man In View Post
If he had guys who can finish, guys who are in the crease, he would finish more with his passes.myou think he's used to seeing 3 guys behind the net flailing around endlessly cycling? I'd ask to be traded off this team ASAP, no offensive creativity whatsoever, no camaraderie, no nothing. Just a deal lifeless team.
I'm not saying he's underachieving. I'm saying he's not the player that many here would have you believe. Top passers/playmakers make the players around them better (Jagr gave Kip Miller a career. Crosby is giving Pascal Dupuis a career). Zuccarello has skill — no doubt — but he also has as many points as John Moore (in two more games).

Old
04-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I'm not saying he's underachieving. I'm saying he's not the player that many here would have you believe. Top passers/playmakers make the players around them better (Jagr gave Kip Miller a career. Crosby is giving Pascal Dupuis a career). Zuccarello has skill — no doubt — but he also has as many points as John Moore (in two more games).
For as creative as he is with the puck, he hasnt been much of a producer, thats for sure.

Hes even more creative on the defensive side of the puck, in a bad way.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
For as creative as he is with the puck, he hasnt been much of a producer, thats for sure.

Hes even more creative on the defensive side of the puck, in a bad way.
He's been about what I expected.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Leetch66

He is sooooooooooo small....I think he would have a hard time surviving a full season here .

Old
04-17-2013, 03:16 PM
SixGoalieSystem
Playaff poosh

Quote:
Well what would people here have you believe? That he is as good a passer as Malkin or Crosby? Or that he instantly makes any line he is on better?

What people are claiming is that he is one of the best passers on this team and I find that hard to argue with. People are also saying he's been one of the best forwards on this team since he came back. I think you'll struggle to contest that too, even if it is because our should be top players Cally, Nasher and Richards have all been underperforming.

Defensively he's been fine. He's had a couple of brain farts for sure, and his backhand pass has been less than good, but he's hardly been a liability. He's averaged 16 mins a game and been on ice for only two goals against.

Is he a top six winger that can dominate in the NHL? Probably not. Is he a legit top six winger that can hold his own and help with production? Probably. With the cap situation as it is, having a guy with his skill set sign for 1 Mill (if RFA) or 1,5 Mill (if UFA), would help this team. It would allow us to sign better players for the bottom six and not be stuck with your Pyatts and Powes.

He has limitations, size is a factor, he is no superstar. He doesn't have to be to be a good player for this team and that's all most of his supporters are "making him out to be".

Old
04-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Wolfy

He's doing just fine, and last night he scored. Working hard in every game. I believe they'll sign him when his Metallurg contract expires. He did not come back here just to play a month or two.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:26 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGoalieSystem View Post
Well what would people here have you believe? That he is as good a passer as Malkin or Crosby? Or that he instantly makes any line he is on better?
Sort of. People were acting as if there was a huge injustice being done — to Zuccarello and tot the fans. People wanted to use a rather small sample and extrapolate it out and it doesn't work that way. And then there were some who acted like the Rangers had the second coming of Adam Oates in Europe who was going to come over, bolster the offense and fix the power play.

Quote:
What people are claiming is that he is one of the best passers on this team and I find that hard to argue with. People are also saying he's been one of the best forwards on this team since he came back. I think you'll struggle to contest that too, even if it is because our should be top players Cally, Nasher and Richards have all been underperforming.
He's been OK. I said before I think he's been better than last season but he's still a one dimensional player who has definite flaws. I've said all along the biggest issue this team has is Richards being as bad as he's been. That doesn't have anything to do with Zuccarello, however.

Quote:
Defensively he's been fine. He's had a couple of brain farts for sure, and his backhand pass has been less than good, but he's hardly been a liability. He's averaged 16 mins a game and been on ice for only two goals against.
Again, I said he's been better. But he's never going to be a good defensive player.

Quote:
Is he a top six winger that can dominate in the NHL? Probably not.
Obviously agree.

Quote:
Is he a legit top six winger that can hold his own and help with production? Probably.
This is where Im not so sure. I don't know if he can hold up over the course of a full season.

Quote:
With the cap situation as it is, having a guy with his skill set sign for 1 Mill (if RFA) or 1,5 Mill (if UFA), would help this team. It would allow us to sign better players for the bottom six and not be stuck with your Pyatts and Powes.
Skill is great —*when it translate into production. There have been a ton of player who have had skill but have not been able to get that skill turn into production.

Quote:
He has limitations, size is a factor, he is no superstar. He doesn't have to be to be a good player for this team and that's all most of his supporters are "making him out to be".
Again, the talk about him was he was going to come to this team, add offensive creativity and jump start the power play. With the KHL YouTube highlights to prove it. He hasn't and it really was unfair to think he could. I didn't have expectations that he would. I just think people are in love with the idea of him. The same was true for Petr Prucha.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 04-17-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old
04-17-2013, 03:37 PM
SixGoalieSystem
Playaff poosh

Quote:
Sort of. People were acting as if there was a huge injustice being done — to Zuccarello and tot the fans. People wanted to use a rather small sample and extrapolate it out and it doesn't work that way. And then there were some who acted like the Rangers had the second coming of Adam Oates in Europe who was going to come over, bolster the offense and fix the power play.
I don't think that's true. People were saying he was going to add creativity and make the powerplay better. Imho he has.

Quote:
He's been OK. I said before I think he's been better than last season but he's still a one dimensional player who has definite flaws. I've said all along the biggest issue this team has is Richards being as bad as he's been. That doesn't have anything to do with Zuccarello, however.
I think it does. He brings a lot of what Richards was supposed to bring. For a far cheaper price. He adds something the team lacks, partially because of Richards going Drury.

Quote:
Again, I said he's been better. But he's never going to be a good defensive player.
He'll never be a Callahan. He is however no worse than any other of the primarily offensive players on this team.

Quote:
This is where Im not so sure. I don't know if he can hold up over the course of a full season.
That's fine. But if you're going to talk sample sizes, remember his longest stint with the Rangers has been his best production wise.

Quote:
Skill is great —*when it translate into production. There have been a ton of player who have had skill but have not been able to get that skill turn into production.
Again. Sample size. He has created tons of chances. Some should have been scored on, and even if you can't blame his teammates for his numbers, I think he's been better than his numbers show.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I don't think that's true. People were saying he was going to add creativity and make the powerplay better. Imho he has.

I think it does. He brings a lot of what Richards was supposed to bring. For a far cheaper price. He adds something the team lacks, partially because of Richards going Drury.

He'll never be a Callahan. He is however no worse than any other of the primarily offensive players on this team.

That's fine. But if you're going to talk sample sizes, remember his longest stint with the Rangers has been his best production wise.

Again. Sample size. He has created tons of chances. Some should have been scored on, and even if you can't blame his teammates for his numbers, I think he's been better than his numbers show.
Shouldve ignored this one. It makes the rest of your post tough to take with any credibility when you would just lie like that.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:50 PM
SixGoalieSystem
Playaff poosh

Quote:
Shouldve ignored this one. It makes the rest of your post tough to take with any credibility when you would just lie like that.
I guess any opinion you disagree with is a lie.

He's a plus player with 23 takeaways and 11 giveaways over 61 games. Stats don't tell the whole story, but too claim he's been bad defensively is a real stretch.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
He is sooooooooooo small....I think he would have a hard time surviving a full season here .
He's survived the better part of two seasons playing in the AHL--the games there are just as physical as the games in the NHL. Yes, there's less skill, but players go out and bang hard in order to get noticed. Don't think it's a good reason to rule Zucc out.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Green Blob*
Rookie User

Quote:

Nobody, not even the "lovers" said he would. But the PP has been about what, 20% more effective now then before he got here? Not saying it all him but he definitely has improved the PP by being able to move the puck around.

Every player has flaws unless your Sidney Crosby. And he's played just as well as anyone on the defensive end so I completely disagree hes just a one way player. He's not winning any Selke awards, but he's not a liability defensively either 90% of the time.

Closed Thread