*OFFICIAL* Kingston Frontenacs 2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Crottenham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
Kingston only had a couple of vets return 92-Alcock played ok, 93s-Greenaway and Moffat did ok, 94s-Jenkins was concussed early in the year,Dupuy played ok(hurt knee for a stretch) and Steele were the only returning vets and only 2nd year on the OHL for 4 of 6. I don't think you can count the only returning 95s Kujawinski and Hutchinson as veterans.Everybody else was new to the team,their goal differential was -102 last year with a better goalie so I see them heading in the right direction.
Just wondering on intelligent comments re Dylan Diperna and his development this year? I've known the boy since minor atom, so curious how he developed ovr the course of the season and what is expected going forward; top 2 D pairing, next pair and special teams aptitude? Thanks.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:21 PM
MisterDB

DiPerna is a big lad that has yet to get control of that huge frame. My take is that he is the a gem that will develop. He has a tremendous shot and should have been a regular on the point for the PP. I think he will surpass McKeown as far a a solid D man.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Tigers1992

Im actually quite surprised at the negativity. All year long your top players where the 96's, thats not a bad thing if your a building team. When you look at the roster, its filled with miscast players who work hard, but where cast offs from other areas (outside of Kujuwinski and Jenkins).

Guys like Alcock, Morrison and Haines are good players, but wouldn't be OA's on another team. Without the draft pucks so supplemental into the lineup, they had to look to guys like them to fill roles that wouldn't be normally filled by OA's.

Give the 96 group time to grow together and bring in 2-3 97's and 2 to 3 more 96's next year who may be 2nd and 3rd line players, and you have something. You have depth and no longer need to rely on other teams cast offs to fill in your roster. By 2014 and 2015, they should have the roster to compete for a championship.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:12 PM
BigBuck

I must agree Tigers1992 if they can get 2 or 3 solids picks from this years draft and get 2 to 4 from last years draft Mathew Watson is on board or guys like Godabout,Ilekys or others this team will eventually have better veteran players it just takes time. Kingston has been losing for so long fans were looking for a quick fix but it takes time to amass talent.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
I must agree Tigers1992 if they can get 2 or 3 solids picks from this years draft and get 2 to 4 from last years draft Mathew Watson is on board or guys like Godabout,Ilekys or others this team will eventually have better veteran players it just takes time. Kingston has been losing for so long fans were looking for a quick fix but it takes time to amass talent.
No team wins by taking other teams hand me downs. With respect to guys like the OAs, they all where basically waiver pickups. You dont win by picking up other guys waived players.

Next year Greenaway will be a 'homegrown' OA who can produce as a top 6 forward. They may keep Hietkamp and Moffatt, but again, those are players who really didn't find success in their past homes.

Imagine how good the 96 core will be in two years, especially once you draft support players.

Look at London, most of their roster is home grown. Thats the key. It will take Kingston a few years and some strong drafts to do that, but they are on the right path.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDB View Post
DiPerna is a big lad that has yet to get control of that huge frame. My take is that he is the a gem that will develop. He has a tremendous shot and should have been a regular on the point for the PP. I think he will surpass McKeown as far a a solid D man.
Thanks for that, great kid wish him much success!

Old
03-28-2013, 02:53 PM
MisterDB

Don't confuse being brutally honest with negativity. Again the ere is some young scoring talent but their defensive play is not good and these young guns never got the support so in fact they carried the team. It is that support that is still missing and it is still a question whether this franchise can do it.

I got scoffed at and got a lot of replies that I was wrong over goaltending, D and specialty teams were going to be an issue this year at the start of the year, I am vindicated.

Though it looks like I am focusing on the players I am not. I lay blame for most of the issues this club has at the feet of the GM and coaching. Gill comes to the team without him picking his assistant coach. The current one there is also an assistant GM. It is up to the GM to get players, the assisstant coach is responsible for the D and appears to be for specialty teams, leaving Gill to fall upon the sword when everything breaks down.

Last edited by MisterDB: 03-28-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old
03-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDB View Post
Don't confuse being brutally honest with negativity. Again the ere is some young scoring talent but their defensive play is not good and these young guns never got the support so in fact they carried the team. It is that support that is still missing and it is still a question whether this franchise can do it.

I got scoffed at and got a lot of replies that I was wrong over goaltending, D and specialty teams were going to be an issue this year at the start of the year, I am vindicated.
Of course its going to be an issue, the team was stripped down and left with nothing. They where the second worst team in the league. Windsor was awful before they finally got these. The goalies where just there as fill ins to hold the fort. No need to throw a 16 year old in there and get him punch drunk from high shots and scoring opportunities.

As 16 year olds mature and get stronger, they will lean to play three zone hockey. Very few 16 year olds play positionally sound in all three zones.

Because of the poor draft record, they don't have the support of strong two way players. As they bring in and develop players, they will get better. Its all about time.

Anyone who expected them to be a strong three zone team this year wasn't setting fair expectations.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Sonny Crockett

What happened with Ryan Hutchinson? He dropped off of the roster?

Old
04-01-2013, 02:59 PM
FrontenacSens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Crockett View Post
What happened with Ryan Hutchinson? He dropped off of the roster?
He was sent home for a bit but he was at the last playoff game. Gilmour said he's still part of the future(there's an article but I'm too lazy to look it up haha).

Old
04-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Nice to see Spencer Watson, Roland McKeown, and Sam Bennett rewarded for their outstanding rookie seasons. Watson and McKeown were named to the OHL All-Rookie 1st Team, while Bennett was named to the OHL All-Rookie 2nd Team.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:42 AM
BigBuck

Now that the OHL draft is over, How did the Frontenacs make out? I like the 1st 3 picks in Crouse, Myllari and Helvig as they get a little bigger and a goalie to build around. Any insight on 4th pick Ted Nichol,Anthony Sorrentino a 96 or Grant Gabriele out of Detroit? Can any of these guys make the jump next year?

Old
04-07-2013, 08:05 PM
FrontenacSens

Grant Gabriele has an invitation to join the US NTDP
I don't know if he will accept it but if he does it's for 2 years. Also he has no college commitment right now

Old
04-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Mythras

What's the deal with Joel Howard? I looked him up but couldn't find any evidence of him playing for Nepean this year - did he get traded or retire?

Old
04-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythras View Post
What's the deal with Joel Howard? I looked him up but couldn't find any evidence of him playing for Nepean this year - did he get traded or retire?
This article may partially answer your question....scary stuff hip surgery for 17 year olds! Same as Herbst?

http://www.thewhig.com/2013/01/01/fr...e-from-saginaw

Old
04-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Mythras

Damn, that sucks! I've been trying to follow him and Jacob Jammes (both were kids at the community centre I worked at), and both seem to have serious injury trouble. Here's hoping he comes back strong!

Old
04-15-2013, 04:04 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythras View Post
Howard was on the roster of the Ottawa 67s Major Midget team this year and did not play a game. I think I read somewhere he is scheduled to have surgery in July and will not be ready for training camp in Sept. so it would be a long shot to make the team this year. The Fronts have Perissini who they traded for ,Sinclair who they drafted last year and the 2 kids they drafted this year. Things are starting to look a little brighter in goal.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:35 PM
BigBuck

Does anybody have any reports or thoughts on some of the other 96's Kingston drafted last year? Guys like Paliani,EmElifeonwu who played for Hill Academy this past year or IleKys who played in Cleveland. Do any of these guys have a chance to make the jump to Kingston next year?

Old
04-17-2013, 04:34 PM
zaluty

as per loosepucks.com

Kingston makes Darren Keily Dir. Hockey Ops & Asst GM. Former Owen Sound assistant coach Jeff Reid joins Kingston staff as ass't coach. #OHL

What is Jeff Reid coaching like? Did he coach the D in Owen Sound?

Old
04-17-2013, 04:54 PM
FrontenacSens

I'm glad Keily is assistant GM and not assistant coach. He's a good AGM and he knows some NHL agents. Jeff Reid is a former Cornwall Royals Center who is known as a players coach.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:02 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Does anybody have any reports or thoughts on some of the other 96's Kingston drafted last year? Guys like Paliani,EmElifeonwu who played for Hill Academy this past year or IleKys who played in Cleveland. Do any of these guys have a chance to make the jump to Kingston next year?
Stuart Ikekys should be able too. Ive always liked how this kid plays. He was a point per game in the regular season and playoffs for the Barons Tier 1 midget this year. He is an explosive skater. He was one of the fastest skating 96 born players in his draft year when he played for Don Mills. Very good puckhandling skills at high speeds. He was a very dangerous player on PK, lead the GTHL in shorthanded goals. This kid is an excellent athlete and his speed on the ice is similar to how he runs on the track. He is an excellent 100m runner. His speed could be used in an effective forechecking role on the 3rd or 4th line potentially. He does have some offensive skills. He is or was 5'8 in his draft year.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:13 PM
BigBuck

Thanks Mapleleaf, what do you think of the draft picks from this year? I see there are at least 7 of the kids drafted going to the Gold Cup under 17 tryouts. What do you think about the 96 Sorentini?

Old
04-17-2013, 10:06 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Thanks Mapleleaf, what do you think of the draft picks from this year? I see there are at least 7 of the kids drafted going to the Gold Cup under 17 tryouts. What do you think about the 96 Sorentini?
Good draft for Kingston. I like the first 3 picks and some of the later picks as well like Hayhurst and Primeau. They addressed size with Crouse in the Top 6 and drafted a very good goalie who has a ton of potential. I like Myllari's potential and his diverse tools. I expect Myllari to be in the Top 6 potentially next year. I liked Helvig over Timpano who was the first goalie drafted. I think it was smart to also draft McGlynn out of Oakville.

Anthony Sorrentino was a low risk/smart selection in the 12th. Big kid 6'4 220. He was one of the better players in midget AAA in the GTHL. I think he led his team in point production. Interesting to see how he adjusts to his next challenge, possibly Junior A this year.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:13 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Stuart Ikekys should be able too. Ive always liked how this kid plays. He was a point per game in the regular season and playoffs for the Barons Tier 1 midget this year. He is an explosive skater. He was one of the fastest skating 96 born players in his draft year when he played for Don Mills. Very good puckhandling skills at high speeds. He was a very dangerous player on PK, lead the GTHL in shorthanded goals. This kid is an excellent athlete and his speed on the ice is similar to how he runs on the track. He is an excellent 100m runner. His speed could be used in an effective forechecking role on the 3rd or 4th line potentially. He does have some offensive skills. He is or was 5'8 in his draft year.
Is he not planning on going to the NCAA? I'm curious as to why he is playing for the Cleveland Barons after playing in Toronto the year before?

Old
04-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

I'm a USA guy, but follow Kingston religiously.

I really think this team could be huge next season. Roland is a solid presence and Bennett and Watson are great as well. I look forward to seeing what this trio can do in the future with Ikonen and Kujawinski back presumably. I really think Beckstead is a guy to watch..I was very impressed with the way he played during the games I streamed. I think he has solid potential to develop into a solid top-6 guy next year. I think the one thing this team needs (with an obvious of a new goalie) is a solid defensive forward with size. IMO, guys like Doggett, Dupuy, and even Schutt are not cutting it. These guys play fine, but it's time a player who actually back checks comes in. One who doesn't need to score, but can be reliable on the PK.

Just my 2 cents.

Closed Thread