HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will TJ Galiardi be a Shark next season?

View Poll Results: Will TJ Galiardi be a Shark next year?
Yes 73 86.90%
No 11 13.10%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-16-2013, 12:55 AM
  #26
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow
 
DrFeelgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Redwood City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
I like gomez. well as a bottom 6. he is like an awesome wellwood.
I haven't liked much of him. He can be crafty with the puck but he makes a ton of turnovers and tries to make too many cute plays. I'd rather see a straight forward, more gritty guy on the bottom 6 take his place. Especially at a cheaper price than he's going to come in the offseason.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:08 AM
  #27
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Gali and Demers both RFA's. Get benched for significant amount of the year. That could either lower their value so you can re-sign them for a lower price or it could piss them off where they want to go elsewhere where they get more stable playing time. It helps that they're RFAs though.
If so it would be because they don't mesh well with the coach and would have nothing to do with DW. If that is the case then hopefully they don't let the door hit them on the way out. However if twitter is an accurate measure of their mood, I'd say both TJ and Demers are happy being a Shark

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:39 AM
  #28
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
If so it would be because they don't mesh well with the coach and would have nothing to do with DW. If that is the case then hopefully they don't let the door hit them on the way out. However if twitter is an accurate measure of their mood, I'd say both TJ and Demers are happy being a Shark
Theres your problem

j/k though, I agree.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:07 AM
  #29
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
I haven't liked much of him. He can be crafty with the puck but he makes a ton of turnovers and tries to make too many cute plays. I'd rather see a straight forward, more gritty guy on the bottom 6 take his place. Especially at a cheaper price than he's going to come in the offseason.
I don't want all north/south players. It is as much a recipe for disaster as having all east/west guys. They need a mix. That said, I am equally unimpressed with Gomez and his turnovers. Even Havlat is much more secure with the puck. As currently constituted the lineup could use another east/west guy more than north/south.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:28 AM
  #30
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,428
vCash: 500
At 1.5-2 million, I'd take Gomez back no problem. I think he'd be good on the third line.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:31 AM
  #31
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
At 1.5-2 million, I'd take Gomez back no problem. I think he'd be good on the third line.
Guy has money coming out of his ears. If he wants to stay here, $1m, that's it. If not, no big deal, thanks for the year.

I like the guy, but I'm not wasting cap space on him. If he likes it here (I expect he does, he's been nothing but **** on everywhere else and his favorite coach is here) he can stay for cheap.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:34 AM
  #32
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Guy has money coming out of his ears. If he wants to stay here, $1m, that's it. If not, no big deal, thanks for the year.

I like the guy, but I'm not wasting cap space on him. If he likes it here (I expect he does, he's been nothing but **** on everywhere else and his favorite coach is here) he can stay for cheap.
What are the alternatives?

The Sharks are not going to have much cap space. Gomez is a player who can get 3-40 points/year on the third line with defensive competence. Plus, he can fit in the top-6 if injuries occur. That is not at all a bad thing to have.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:44 AM
  #33
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
What are the alternatives?

The Sharks are not going to have much cap space. Gomez is a player who can get 3-40 points/year on the third line with defensive competence. Plus, he can fit in the top-6 if injuries occur. That is not at all a bad thing to have.
hes horrible defensively...that alone is why i wouldnt go over a mill.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:05 PM
  #34
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow
 
DrFeelgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Redwood City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I don't want all north/south players. It is as much a recipe for disaster as having all east/west guys. They need a mix. That said, I am equally unimpressed with Gomez and his turnovers. Even Havlat is much more secure with the puck. As currently constituted the lineup could use another east/west guy more than north/south.
I don't mean another pure north/south guy like Torres, but someone that will not dangle at the blueline and send everybody offside because he's too stubborn to chip it in to the corner when there's nothing available for him. It's frustrating to watch, but it happens all the time with Gomez.

Although I normally don't care about it much as a stat, his team-worst -9 doesn't help either.

Havlat is another guy I wouldn't mind seeing get the door, he's a turnover machine.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:14 PM
  #35
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
What are the alternatives?

The Sharks are not going to have much cap space. Gomez is a player who can get 3-40 points/year on the third line with defensive competence. Plus, he can fit in the top-6 if injuries occur. That is not at all a bad thing to have.
We have Sheppard, who is better defensively (though not as fast) and I think capable of similar point production given the time and opportunity. We don't NEED Gomez, though I would not mind re-signing him.

I'd simply offer him a $1m deal and say "We can give you more next year, but this year with the cap crunch that is all we can do" and take it or leave it.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:31 AM
  #36
Mattb124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
He is beasting tonight. If he brings this every night, absolutely.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:28 PM
  #37
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
We have Sheppard, who is better defensively (though not as fast) and I think capable of similar point production given the time and opportunity. We don't NEED Gomez, though I would not mind re-signing him.

I'd simply offer him a $1m deal and say "We can give you more next year, but this year with the cap crunch that is all we can do" and take it or leave it.
Bird in the hand and all that...

Plus, Sheppard has recieved third line ice time. A lot of chances and he has looked good, but in the end, not nearly enough production.

I'd be more willing to take that kind of risk on a younger player with a ton of potential who could "play up to it" (think Couture, or even a more developed Hertl).

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:29 PM
  #38
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Bird in the hand and all that...

Plus, Sheppard has recieved third line ice time. A lot of chances and he has looked good, but in the end, not nearly enough production.

I'd be more willing to take that kind of risk on a younger player with a ton of potential who could "play up to it" (think Couture, or even a more developed Hertl).
You would get slightly better production out of Kennedy who is basically an injury callup type guy than you would Sheppard. Kennedy would also give up a few more turnovers and they both are setup guys.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:35 PM
  #39
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
You would get slightly better production out of Kennedy who is basically an injury callup type guy than you would Sheppard. Kennedy would also give up a few more turnovers and they both are setup guys.
Let me guess...you did a study that showed this?

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:51 PM
  #40
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
i dont see how we can judge sheppard here. shortened season? 2 years off injury? not to mention the fact that he has been pretty good, without extended time next to pavelski.

you absolutely have to give him an off season and a camp next year. we will still have kennedy as a replacement if needed and i think sheppard will come good. he has a great engine on him, and is smarter than galiardi in terms of hockey IQ.

galiardi is definitely showing he has that "it" factor that allows players to score in many different ways. im excited for him to remain a shark.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:53 PM
  #41
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Let me guess...you did a study that showed this?
No, I just watched them a lot. I saw a lot of Kennedy when he was with Buffalo.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:53 PM
  #42
TealTownUSA
Registered User
 
TealTownUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 415
Country: United States
Posts: 1,105
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
He seems to be having a blast with Thornton!
he got some confidence that's for sure. i don't think he wants to be benched again. don't blame him, i'd love to play along side jumbo

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:56 PM
  #43
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
i dont see how we can judge sheppard here. shortened season? 2 years off injury? not to mention the fact that he has been pretty good, without extended time next to pavelski.

you absolutely have to give him an off season and a camp next year. we will still have kennedy as a replacement if needed and i think sheppard will come good. he has a great engine on him, and is smarter than galiardi in terms of hockey IQ.

galiardi is definitely showing he has that "it" factor that allows players to score in many different ways. im excited for him to remain a shark.
Agree. Sheppard has all the tools and couldn't even skate for well over a year. He missed a LOT of hockey. I give him partway into next season before I judge his production. I think given the right line-mates and a little patience he is going to start producing. I could absolutely see him as a 30-40 point guy,

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:20 PM
  #44
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
and i found these stats interesting

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rati...p&sortdir=DESC

if you dont know what HARO and HARD are. they are essentially the percentage the offense/defense was boosted when a player was on the ice. HART being the average. take that in conjuction with quality of teammates and quality of competition and you have a fair assessment. 0 being an average player.

in sheppards case: offensively he boosted his team quite a bit against soft competition. and faced much harder defensive assignments with not as great quality of teammates.

and for gali: well hes facing similar matchups on offense, and easier defensive matchups and not having the same impact as sheppard. you could argue galiardi is benefiting from burns offensive effects more than impacting the line himself. where as sheppard is carrying his line offensively.

i also like the HART rating. which essentially tells you their two way ability in a quick snap. sheppard is still top ten in this. so he is really doing well in terms of generating chances for his team through defensive reliabilty.

and i dont know if im reading it all wrong, but the guys facing the toughest competition defensively are guys like burns, torres, burish, gomez and pavs.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:34 PM
  #45
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
and i found these stats interesting

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rati...p&sortdir=DESC

if you dont know what HARO and HARD are. they are essentially the percentage the offense/defense was boosted when a player was on the ice. HART being the average. take that in conjuction with quality of teammates and quality of competition and you have a fair assessment. 0 being an average player.

in sheppards case: offensively he boosted his team quite a bit against soft competition. and faced much harder defensive assignments with not as great quality of teammates.

and for gali: well hes facing similar matchups on offense, and easier defensive matchups and not having the same impact as sheppard. you could argue galiardi is benefiting from burns offensive effects more than impacting the line himself. where as sheppard is carrying his line offensively.

i also like the HART rating. which essentially tells you their two way ability in a quick snap. sheppard is still top ten in this. so he is really doing well in terms of generating chances for his team through defensive reliabilty.

and i dont know if im reading it all wrong, but the guys facing the toughest competition defensively are guys like burns, torres, burish, gomez and pavs.
Irwin absolutely dominates in those stats heh.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:06 PM
  #46
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
irwin and boyle both dominate the two way game, whilst facing hard defensive match ups.

and the stats show that marleau is also having a similarly positive effect whilst facing top guys defensively.

i should caveat that irwin and boyle are facing soft competition offensively. so really you need to look at HART to see who having it rough on both sides

burns
torres
pavs
marleau

are taking hard shifts every time, and only torres comes out behind in his own HART...but most of his stats come from phx.


Last edited by do0glas: 04-17-2013 at 03:21 PM.
do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:55 PM
  #47
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Irwin absolutely dominates in those stats heh.
Yeah, that isn't passing the eye test.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:07 PM
  #48
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Yeah, that isn't passing the eye test.
well when you put it into a 60 min game, i think it supersedes the eye test.

we remember one or two bad pinches that lead to one scoring chance each against...yet over 60 he was a positive in terms of boosting his teams offense and curtailing the oppositions offense. at least thats how i understand it.

that being said, im hoping his skating improves drastically as that will solve a lot of his blue line issues.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:14 PM
  #49
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 31,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
well when you put it into a 60 min game, i think it supersedes the eye test.

we remember one or two bad pinches that lead to one scoring chance each against...yet over 60 he was a positive in terms of boosting his teams offense and curtailing the oppositions offense. at least thats how i understand it.

that being said, im hoping his skating improves drastically as that will solve a lot of his blue line issues.
Wouldn't Niemi factor into his positive rating? Hes cleaned up a lot of Boyle and Irwin's messes. He needs to work on his skating..I agree.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:26 PM
  #50
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Wouldn't Niemi factor into his positive rating? Hes cleaned up a lot of Boyle and Irwin's messes. He needs to work on his skating..I agree.
from what i read about the ratings, goalies arent factored in as having an effect on shots against. these stats arent really weighted if its a goal vs a shot so even if the puck goes in the net, the rating is effected the same.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.