*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 05:19 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Legend I think there needs to be an emphasis on getting some bigger forwards that can play. You can clear out Bowen and Bilcke and if you watch the conference finals there will be some good size on display Wilson, Noesen, Payne, Uvira, Mistele, Horvat, Anderson, Elie, Brassard, Graovac, Zharkov, Sandlak, Camara, Schiefele, Theoret. I would include Athanasiou who's 6'2 but that's not his type of game. You really need another couple of forwards to go with Giftopolous. Not sure how they are acquired but after the import draft it needs to be addressed. I don't think Allen, Moore, Ho-Sang could hold up.
I would agree more size needed up front,though London does okay with Domi,RupertsX2
Tierney,Welytcha,Plymouth with Trocheck,Meurs and before Aleardi,Barrie with Hall,Beyers,Oconnor but I get your pt,which is why I stated earlier in another post
dont be surprised if Windsor"s other 2 O/As next yr are Brassard and Sandlak along with Giftopoulous,I do think they will keep Bilcke,with Clark graduated,and Bowen probably moved,hopefully Euro draft yields 1-2 good size forwards,Harper from Erie is a good sized guy who may fit here as well
I am sure Windsor will be looking hard to add more size upfront like some of the moves i have suggested

This how my lineup would look for 2013-2014[tentative}

Hosang-Rychel-Marchese
Vail-Harper-Brassard
Giftopoulous-Allen-Sandlak
Moore-Verbeek-Euro
Euro-Bilcke-

Def

Ebert-Sanvido
Brown-Koekkoek
Murphy-Seiloff

spares- Murray,Burns

Goalies
DeKort-Kuchmey

sp-Johnston

Players moved/traded= Studnicka,Bateman,Bowen,Mcnaughton,and Johnson?
JrB- Graham,Lukchuk,Johnston,Marlatt,Hudie,Killins,Mark ovic,probably Burns,
Hughes and Leslie
Other players which could alter things woudl be Cen Rob Demontis and D-man
Bennett Morrisson,both are 17 years old and could compete for a job with the big
club
I am well aware other or different moves will probably occur but I think its a start
in the projection of a roster

Old
04-16-2013, 07:06 PM
KyGuy9

Isn't it that only 1st round drafted players can be traded in their first year?

Old
04-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Ottomatic

^Yeah. Though unless I'm missing it, Legend isn't trading any 2013 draft picks. (is Johnson vs Johnston tripping you up ie Ben Johnson vs the newly drafted goalie Johnston)

Old
04-16-2013, 08:40 PM
KyGuy9

Oops, you're right! Sorry legend - mixed up Burns and the trading players!

Old
04-16-2013, 08:45 PM
defensehockey19

What do you guys think Ben Johnson would bring back in a trade?

Old
04-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
What do you guys think Ben Johnson would bring back in a trade?
Nothing. He's radioactive right now. But innocent until proven guilty means the Spits have to keep/play him.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:14 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Windsor #Spitfires have signed top pick Ryan (@rymoore1997) Moore to a standard #OHL playing contract. Opts for #CHL over #USHL and #NCAA
According to Jim Parker
Another one bites the dust !

Big signing.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:46 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I would agree more size needed up front,though London does okay with Domi,RupertsX2
Tierney,Welytcha,Plymouth with Trocheck,Meurs and before Aleardi,Barrie with Hall,Beyers,Oconnor but I get your pt,which is why I stated earlier in another post
dont be surprised if Windsor"s other 2 O/As next yr are Brassard and Sandlak along with Giftopoulous,I do think they will keep Bilcke,with Clark graduated,and Bowen probably moved,hopefully Euro draft yields 1-2 good size forwards,Harper from Erie is a good sized guy who may fit here as well
I am sure Windsor will be looking hard to add more size upfront like some of the moves i have suggested

This how my lineup would look for 2013-2014[tentative}

Hosang-Rychel-Marchese
Vail-Harper-Brassard
Giftopoulous-Allen-Sandlak
Moore-Verbeek-Euro
Euro-Bilcke-

Def

Ebert-Sanvido
Brown-Koekkoek
Murphy-Seiloff

spares- Murray,Burns

Goalies
DeKort-Kuchmey

sp-Johnston

Players moved/traded= Studnicka,Bateman,Bowen,Mcnaughton,and Johnson?
JrB- Graham,Lukchuk,Johnston,Marlatt,Hudie,Killins,Mark ovic,probably Burns,
Hughes and Leslie
Other players which could alter things woudl be Cen Rob Demontis and D-man
Bennett Morrisson,both are 17 years old and could compete for a job with the big
club
I am well aware other or different moves will probably occur but I think its a start
in the projection of a roster
A great start in the roster projection........

As I've seen Harper/Brassard's names in previous posts I wonder if there is something in the wind
Allen would be great get ...he did say he liked it here. Hudie although injured part of the season might be an add but would he play JrB over here?
I guess a lot might change depending on how the sell goes today in Toronto.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:13 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
A great start in the roster projection........

As I've seen Harper/Brassard's names in previous posts I wonder if there is something in the wind
Allen would be great get ...he did say he liked it here. Hudie although injured part of the season might be an add but would he play JrB over here?
I guess a lot might change depending on how the sell goes today in Toronto.
Hudie could play in JrB being he is 17 years old,does not take up any of the 2 cards
for 16 year olds that B teams are permitted
He was the only 17 year old drafted,all the others were 16,and only 1 had a late
birthday and that was Eli Billing goaltender who was born in Oct 97
As for Brassard and Harper,both could wind up here,I doubt Brassard gets a pro
contract at this time from the team who drafted him,while Harper a player whom the Spits liked in his midget draft here,could use a change of scenery from Erie,I could
envision Bateman for Harper,Studnicka plus a minor player for Brassard,as Belleville
has alot of 93 born players they may have to move
Both Brassard and Harper would bring much needed size,they have scoring ability
and would fit into top 6 roles created by the departures of Koko and Aleardi,and the absolute uncertainty re Ben Johnson

Old
04-17-2013, 09:57 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Hudie could play in JrB being he is 17 years old,does not take up any of the 2 cards
for 16 year olds that B teams are permitted
He was the only 17 year old drafted,all the others were 16,and only 1 had a late
birthday and that was Eli Billing goaltender who was born in Oct 97
As for Brassard and Harper,both could wind up here,I doubt Brassard gets a pro
contract at this time from the team who drafted him,while Harper a player whom the Spits liked in his midget draft here,could use a change of scenery from Erie,I could
envision Bateman for Harper,Studnicka plus a minor player for Brassard,as Belleville
has alot of 93 born players they may have to move
Both Brassard and Harper would bring much needed size,they have scoring ability
and would fit into top 6 roles created by the departures of Koko and Aleardi,and the absolute uncertainty re Ben Johnson
Ok, thanks I see where you're coming from and understand the reasoning.
Another player with the same skill set and toughness as Brassard would make a great addition for the 3rd overage spot..
I see Bill Bowler has parted ways with Chatham...might make a good fit if Jones leaves....

Old
04-17-2013, 10:12 AM
izzys

Bill will be coaching hes son team this year

200's in SC

Old
04-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Sec108

Quote:
Ok, thanks I see where you're coming from and understand the reasoning.
Another player with the same skill set and toughness as Brassard would make a great addition for the 3rd overage spot..
I see Bill Bowler has parted ways with Chatham...might make a good fit if Jones leaves....
Maybe Bowler instead of Matsos.Never understood what he brought to the table other than friendships.

This team needs coaching direction as we have seen with last seasons performance more than ever.Esp. with DJ gone to Osh.

If Kitts says bye to Spott, wouldnt mind him entering the fold if WR sells and BB takes on the GM role.Prob. just dreaming though.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
Maybe Bowler instead of Matsos.Never understood what he brought to the table other than friendships.

This team needs coaching direction as we have seen with last seasons performance more than ever.Esp. with DJ gone to Osh.

If Kitts says bye to Spott, wouldnt mind him entering the fold if WR sells and BB takes on the GM role.Prob. just dreaming though.
No thanks on Spott.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Ottomatic

My dream scenario is Vellucci has a falling out in Plymouth and Boughner offers him whatever he wants to come here and run the program.

Has Mike no interest in moving up into the pro ranks? Seems to have the resume for it one would believe.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:28 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
My dream scenario is Vellucci has a falling out in Plymouth and Boughner offers him whatever he wants to come here and run the program.

Has Mike no interest in moving up into the pro ranks? Seems to have the resume for it one would believe.
Vellucci runs the whole show in Plymouth coach, gm, president, governor etc.. Nice dream though . As boring as his system is I would welcome Craig Hartsburg not doing anything right now and long history of success coaching in juniors.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:35 PM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Vellucci runs the whole show in Plymouth coach, gm, president, governor etc.. Nice dream though . As boring as his system is I would welcome Craig Hartsburg not doing anything right now and long history of success coaching in juniors.
All the Spits need is someone that will put in a system and make EVERYONE bide by it. Bowler would be good as a skills coach. Passing is horrible and the fact that after three years Ebert is still beat to the outside everytime is disgraceful. Peewee players can be taught gapping. Bowler could still coach his kid's team and help with the skills.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:45 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfluffy View Post
All the Spits need is someone that will put in a system and make EVERYONE bide by it. Bowler would be good as a skills coach. Passing is horrible and the fact that after three years Ebert is still beat to the outside everytime is disgraceful. Peewee players can be taught gapping. Bowler could still coach his kid's team and help with the skills.
I don't think the coaching has been good, the talent hasn't been as good as the glory days. Talent hasn't developed and coaching hasn't been great but then you read Ontario raved about Ebert while he was in the ECHL so something seems to be amiss.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Nyax

Quote:
I'm watching the Ducks vs. Bluejackets game right now and Hartsburg has Boogies old gig as Jackets assistant coach. Not sure he would leave that job for another kick at the junior can. I'm not sure I'd want him anyway. It's been a while since he's been real relevant as a head coach. I'm not ready to right off Boogie just yet. Though I wouldn't mind seeing some fresh blood as his assistants. But we all know that won't happen as long as Boogie is the owner.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:28 AM
coachfluffy

Quote:
I don't think the coaching has been good, the talent hasn't been as good as the glory days. Talent hasn't developed and coaching hasn't been great but then you read Ontario raved about Ebert while he was in the ECHL so something seems to be amiss.
Maybe the coaches there talk and teach rather than scream and hollar??

Old
04-18-2013, 07:10 AM
goalpostmahoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post

Was'nt Bowler released buy the current regime. When him and DJ were coaching and they kept DJ.

Old
04-18-2013, 05:29 PM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpostmahoney View Post
Was'nt Bowler released buy the current regime. When him and DJ were coaching and they kept DJ.
Bowler is more of what they have now, loud and arragant but I do think he is better at skills than what they have now.

Old
04-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Spitsfan191

dont think this has been posted yet..from the Star
Quote:
Teams are only allowed to keep two import players on their roster with a few exceptions.

Overage players and players that are first-round picks in the National Hockey League Draft can be frozen until it’s determined where they will start next season.

For now, that means Spitfires goalie Jaroslav Pavelka, who is going into his overage season, can be placed on that frozen list and Windsor can make those two picks in the top 20 and figure out how to proceed afterwards.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:03 AM
Nyax

That's good they can use both picks and still keep Pavelka's rights. It's also good to hear how proactive they are being for the import draft this year. They realize they screwed up big time last year and seem determined to make sure that doesn't happen this time around. It can't happen this time around.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:49 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyax View Post
That's good they can use both picks and still keep Pavelka's rights. It's also good to hear how proactive they are being for the import draft this year. They realize they screwed up big time last year and seem determined to make sure that doesn't happen this time around. It can't happen this time around.
IMHO Pavelka will be long gone as Ernie Harwell used to say, shortly after the trade window opens up (3 or so days after the final Memorial Cup game is played). The Import Draft is generally held shortly after the NHL draft and by then Pavelka will have been traded or released.Again IMHO because whether the Spits get the 2014 Memorial Cup or not they can't afford to have an overage goalie who is also an import.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:18 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyax View Post
But for Windsor to hit 2 homeruns on 2 import picks is also tough. They usually need a year to acclimate and adding a ton of hope and pressure to new euro's isn't always good. London took their time with Maatta who had growing pains going number one......Zadorov too took half a season to become established and lots of work with english tutors.

Closed Thread