HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MacTavish New GM | Tambellini Fired | Howson Promoted to SVP

Old
04-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by popo View Post
MacTavish didn't trade any of those guys, the GM did... Unless you are saying he told the GM to trade them, which you really need some evidence to back up.
Penner sure, was in MacT's doghouse, but he outlasted MacT, and has failed to impress in LA.
A better examples of MacT as a bad player evaluator might be a Jason Chimera, who went on to a long decent career.
As I have stated earlier in this thread he healthy press boxed each of those guys, some more than once. You have one foot out the door once that happens, especially when the gm is as close to the coach.

Re Penner, In his last year under MacT he scored 17 goals, had 5 game winning goals and was +7 on a lousy team. All of this while being press boxed and benched repeatedly by MacT. The piece da resistance being when after one of our guys got abused he stood up and fought the opposing bully and promptly got press boxed the next game.

The year after Mact left Penner had 32 goals, 31 assists, plus 6 and was our best player.

MacT has his idea of the type of players he likes but he also showed he was not good at getting the best out of a number of players.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:40 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
As I have stated earlier in this thread he healthy press boxed each of those guys, some more than once. You have one foot out the door once that happens, especially when the gm is as close to the coach.

Re Penner, In his last year under MacT he scored 17 goals, had 5 game winning goals and was +7 on a lousy team. All of this while being press boxed and benched repeatedly by MacT. The piece da resistance being when after one of our guys got abused he stood up and fought the opposing bully and promptly got press boxed the next game.

The year after Mact left Penner had 32 goals, 31 assists, plus 6 and was our best player.

MacT has his idea of the type of players he likes but he also showed he was not good at getting the best out of a number of players.
He did get the best out of guys like Smyth, Stoll, Weight, Torres, Carter, Marchant, Comrie etc...

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:14 PM
popo

Quote:

I don't recall those guys being sent to the press box that often. Certainly not in their final season. Stoll played 81 games. Greene missed a bunch of time due to injuries. Brodziak played 80.
I didn't always understand the Penner treatment; although I was as frustrated as anyone by Penner at times. I just don't think MacT had a hand in their deals. They seemed like his favorites. Hindsight being what it is, we'd sure look better with Stoll on the 3rd line, Greene on defense, and Brodziak on the forth line.

popo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

I feel awful for you guys. Its like your team is being held hostage by some inbred cabal.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
He did get the best out of guys like Smyth, Stoll, Weight, Torres, Carter, Marchant, Comrie etc...
He press boxed Stoll and Torres and they were traded soon after so no I disagree whole heartedly on those two.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:15 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
He press boxed Stoll and Torres and they were traded soon after so no I disagree whole heartedly on those two.
What's your definition of soon? They were benched because of off ice issues, everyone knew this and knew they were goners come the off season.

For the record they were benched Dec 7th and dealt June 29th

Even if he did bench them and run them out, they still had their best years under MacT. Disagree all you want but Stoll never came close to 60 points again and Raffi never came close to 25 goals again.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:18 PM
missinthejets

Quote:

the problem that MacT had with Penner was he was lazy and inconsistent because of it. You're absolutely right that Mctavish has his idea of the types of player he likes... he wants guys who bust their ass and given how the team has played the past couple seasons is anyone going to cry is Mctavish starts shipping lazy guys out and bringing hard workers in?

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:23 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What's your definition of soon? They were benched because of off ice issues, everyone knew this and knew they were goners come the off season.

For the record they were benched Dec 7th and dealt June 29th

Even if he did bench them and run them out, they still had their best years under MacT. Disagree all you want but Stoll never came close to 60 points again and Raffi never came close to 25 goals again.
what were the off ice issues?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:03 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
what were the off ice issues?
Ask via PM. It isn't to be brought up on the boards.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I still don't know why we aren't allowed to **** talk rich athletes lol

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Ask via PM. It isn't to be brought up on the boards.
Aren't they just rumored issues or are these team confirmed by someone in the organization without a hint of doubt?

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:20 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Aren't they just rumored issues or are these team confirmed by someone in the organization without a hint of doubt?
Just rumours and stories. That is why they aren't allowed on the boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Legal reasons. No proof means no talking about it. HF owners don't want to get sued

Old
04-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Yeah, I remember that. They got press boxed for not wanting to be sent out against Crosby with Stortini on their wing.

The relationship had already soured before that between Mact the offseason before though. He threw Torres/Stoll under the bus hard after the 2 month losing streak. An offseason rant that showed his favoritism when his golden son Horc who packed it in when Smyth was traded, and played some of the worst hockey ever seen in an Oilers uniform over the same period was given a pass in the same breath.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:18 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
The whole concept of libel. I was going to go through the legal stuff but then got lazy.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:53 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
They were sat out for one game (in December) and they were traded in the offseason.

04-17-2013, 07:03 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
They were sat out for one game (in December) and they were traded in the offseason.
I have a feeling Stoll wanted out anyways. He was dating/engaged to Rachel Hunter at the time. LA was a perfect place fo him to go.

More than perfect apparently.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:04 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
Yeah I think MacT will do a decent job - much better than Tambellini. But its a joke that Lowe is still here.
agreed. i woke up to the press conference on my alarm and i knew right away what the press conference was for but astonished to hear Lowes voice. I did predict MacT would replace Tambi but to hear Lowe indrocing the situation and leading the conference i had to roll my eyes.

Im not going to sit here and bash Lowe too much. I do believe he should be fired. I also know his hands were tied until 05-06, he worked with MacT to find the types of players they still needed to fill holes, and they gave up immediate future commodities in order to build that team to the highest standard possible. Part of that whole situation was to try to get Pronger happy and show they could succeed. Then you had a BUNCH of UFAs, including Oiler picks and new acquisitions, AND you had a list of RFAs...all either running away to cash in in the easier travalling East or to cash in here at home to re-sign. Pronger walking away wasnt the only negative thing to happen; alot of players left and those that stayed wanted bigger bucks than they were worth. The 2006 stanley cup playoffs and cup run WERE extremely expensive at the cost of our future.

So I cant put the Dump truck load of cow manure on LOwe. I am happy they went all in on that year. The unfortunate part of that equation is that Pronger had wanted out since January and was professional enough to keep it internal in the expectation that Lowe would shop him...and Oilers management -Lowe- didnt communicate as to where the process was, which then made CPs agent go to the press and ruin the value for what was the best player in the league. Crosby at that time did not have the value a Pronger would have --hadd the trade demand not been known. Long term contract, A pittance cap hit, Dominant player at a dominant position. I blame K Lowe for not keeping the CP party in the loop and working harder to get the job done.

MacT will do well as a GM. A trust him more than anyone else that has been through the organization... even more than Sather who traded Satan for being immature and also not following dress codes at formal functions, traded assets for cases of cigars and allowed horrific drafting.

Hats off for the hiring of MacT. I am very interested to see what he does. He was never shy at calling a spade a spade, he was never shy to not buy into hype around a player and evaluating him with a open mind , only looking at the skill set shown in front of him.

I look forward to his interviews as well.

Lowe needs to move on though.

oilinblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:01 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I have a feeling Stoll wanted out anyways. He was dating/engaged to Rachel Hunter at the time. LA was a perfect place fo him to go.

More than perfect apparently.
I love your avatar. You should make one with a homeless person holding out a can for change with a sign saying "please help me move up to a tier 1 fan"

Old
04-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Gabriel6676

How the heck do we suddenly become so pathetic again? Up until this press conference we were regarded as doing almost everything basically right to climb out of this. Then one news conference and suddenly the oilers again look like a laughing stock. Seriously - the flames were so busy exemplifying idiocy and I thought about how fortunate we were to be moving in the right direction - now we have this. Katz give this circus one year and if they so much as blink strangely fire Lowe and Howson and possibly MacT as well.

Edit: remember when they fired the training staff claiming a need for a change of culture?

Last edited by Gabriel6676: 04-17-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Gabriel6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:37 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Just rumours and stories. That is why they aren't allowed on the boards.

Legal reasons. No proof means no talking about it. HF owners don't want to get sued
Posters talking about it here wouldn't get them sued.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:56 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Posters talking about it here wouldn't get them sued.
The matter isn't up for debate.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:08 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

The more I think about the MacT hiring, the more I really like it.

I just feel extremely confident in his ability to properly assess players and would put a lot of stock behind any trade he makes in the future.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:16 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
MacT wants to make a bold move or a big splash and 29 other GM's are going to make it as difficult for him as possible. I doubt he gets any first time trader discounts.

Hopefully he is shrewd enough to make some positive changes to the lineup without trading away the obvious assets.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:18 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Well look at that. The team that finished last year is in the playoffs. Holy **** this organization is a joke.

Good thing we got the guy of Columbus on this team now.

Last edited by Oilbleeder: 04-18-2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Yeah.....no
Old
04-18-2013, 12:23 AM
SometimesY

Wish we could create a fancy named position for Messier.. convince him the new arena and downtown are superior to anything in NY City.. just have him stand private box, in front of a spot light with his arms folded. they just see the silhouette..

Not sure what to expect of Mactavish, but he needs to make some moves before we know what we got. Also just can't see him being intimidated by Lowe.. just really think that Lowe will let go and let Mactavish make the decisions.. only having input when he is asked.

SometimesY is offline   Reply With Quote