HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
It is difficult to predict where they are going to end up in the draft order. I agree, they'll take Jones if they get the chance, but he is looking more and more like the consensus #1 pick.

If they finish second bottom of the standings, then the chances are 56.2% they will end up with the third overall pick. That could be any of Drouin, MacKinnon or Jones.
It could be, I just don't see any of the teams near the bottom going for the defenseman over Drouin or MacKinnon.

Always a chance a team like Philly wins the lottery, but I'm not figuring that in for now.

Stastny would be a fit, but the cap hit/salary is pretty rough with Bouwmeester + raises for Petro, Shatty, Stewart, and maybe Berglund.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:37 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

We'd have to move Berglund and a winger to fit Stastny in IMO. If Jaskin is ready:

Schwartz-Stastny-Stewart/Perron
Steen-Backes-Oshie
Jaskin-Sobotka-Tarasenko

Interchange Schwartz, Stewart/Perron, and Tarasenko however you like.

The bigger issue that we might be ignoring is that we will be in the same division as Colorado.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
We'd have to move Berglund and a winger to fit Stastny in IMO. If Jaskin is ready:

Schwartz-Stastny-Stewart/Perron
Steen-Backes-Oshie
Jaskin-Sobotka-Tarasenko

Interchange Schwartz, Stewart/Perron, and Tarasenko however you like.

The bigger issue that we might be ignoring is that we will be in the same division as Colorado.
That is a huge issue. Absolutely no desire to get crushed by Chris Stewart again so it would be Berglund + Perron for me (I agree it means moving a center plus a winger)

However, I think Berglund + Perron is overpayment for Paul Stastny.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:34 AM
superblues
I'm being sarcastic.

Stastny only makes sense if Stewart stays, IMO.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
It could be, I just don't see any of the teams near the bottom going for the defenseman over Drouin or MacKinnon.

Always a chance a team like Philly wins the lottery, but I'm not figuring that in for now.

Stastny would be a fit, but the cap hit/salary is pretty rough with Bouwmeester + raises for Petro, Shatty, Stewart, and maybe Berglund.
It is easy to say that you go for the BPA, but when there are 4 or 5 guys with franchise player potential it becomes easier to draft on need when they could be going into the team next season. Until we see the final standings, there are too many permutations to consider. Florida having Gudbranson and Kulikov does make it seem unlikely they would take Jones, but they also have Huberdeau and Bjugstad at C.

Quote:
That is a huge issue. Absolutely no desire to get crushed by Chris Stewart again so it would be Berglund + Perron for me (I agree it means moving a center plus a winger)

However, I think Berglund + Perron is overpayment for Paul Stastny.
Berglund and Perron is absolutely an overpayment, but bleedblue1223 was saying that 2 have to go for cap reasons, not in the same deal.

The discussion was had a few days back with Avs fans, and they seemed to think Berglund & Cole for Stastny+ something small (2013 3rd?) as a fair deal. Our issue there is the short term cap implications, which would likely mean moving Perron for futures.

I think Stastny is the best player we could get that is "realistic", unless there are guys getting shopped that we don't know about or if Shero loses his mind and decides to trade Malkin. Just sucks that we are now in the same Division and it makes any trade between the teams that much more unlikely.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
It is easy to say that you go for the BPA, but when there are 4 or 5 guys with franchise player potential it becomes easier to draft on need when they could be going into the team next season. Until we see the final standings, there are too many permutations to consider.

Berglund and Perron is absolutely an overpayment, but bleedblue1223 was saying that 2 have to go for cap reasons, not in the same deal.

The discussion was had a few days back with Avs fans, and they seemed to think Berglund & Cole for Stastny+ something small (2013 3rd?) as a fair deal. Our issue there is the short term cap implications, which would likely mean moving Perron for futures.

I think Stastny is the best player we could get that is "realistic", unless there are guys getting shopped that we don't know about or if Shero loses his mind and decides to trade Malkin. Just sucks that we are now in the same Division and it makes any trade between the teams that much more unlikely.

Yeah that's what I was missing.

Berglund + Cole for Stastny + mid round draft pick seems fair to me.

I would try to put Perron in a situation to thrive which would probably mean sending him East. I know Montreal Canadian fans seem to love him.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:50 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

vCash: 500
Here's a thought, do you think we go after Mike Smith (UFA next season), and then trade both Halak and Elliott and go with a tandem of Smith/Allen?

I figure using both as trade pieces will at least give us more ammo.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:02 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
Here's a thought, do you think we go after Mike Smith (UFA next season), and then trade both Halak and Elliott and go with a tandem of Smith/Allen?

That's interesting. but again that's another guy who's only really had one really good season and a great playoff... then again he is more consistent than the two we currently have now tho.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:

No thanks jeff

Old
04-16-2013, 03:06 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

The timing would be very difficult to pull off, and keep in mind the market for trading goalies is always worse than it seems like it should be. They'd have to know they're getting Smith before trading the other guys and if they've signed Smith then other teams know the asking price on Halak/Elliott is very low.

Not saying Smith/Allen would be a bad combo, just saying I don't see it happening given the logistical dance required.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Alklha

Quote:

Absolutely not. He isn't better than Halák, and no doubt some GM will pay him too much for too long in the summer. If Smith is available at $3m for 3-4 years, sure. I wouldn't be shocked to see him getting close to $5m for 4-5 years.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:24 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
No thanks jeff
The hilarious part is I know exactly where you got that phrase from.

Anyway, I brought up possibly of moving both Halak and Elliott and then going after a UFA goalie is because it can only serve to help us acquire what we need up front by giving us more trade pieces.

I'd go so far as to say that our needs go beyond a 1c.

Another playmaker would help (though some could make the case that simply giving Schwartz and Tarasenko more time on the top lines would fix this) and another forward to park in front of the net, as we lack that presence (Backes, Stewart and Berglund need to step up in that regard).

I don't think we need an elite sniper, I think the "score by committee" can be successful, the problem with this team is that there aren't enough creative passing types to make room for all the shooters we have.

Last edited by illninofan*: 04-16-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old
04-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

I would rather have Jaroslav Halak over Mike Smith.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:56 PM
bernmeister

Please share your thoughts on something around Staal + for Shattenkirk +.

Had some thoughts about Girardi + to Edmonton, and want to see if, in getting replacement RhD, something involving Shattenkirk was feasible instead of the anticipated Staal to Carolina.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:58 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Please share your thoughts on something around Staal + for Shattenkirk +.

Had some thoughts about Girardi + to Edmonton, and want to see if, in getting replacement RhD, something involving Shattenkirk was feasible instead of the anticipated Staal to Carolina.

Thanks for the feedback.
Completely pointless now that we have JayBo. We wouldn't do it before and we definitely won't now.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:06 PM
BlueDream

Perron is a better hockey player than Patrik Berglund easily.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:15 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwagon View Post
If the Rangers buy out Brad Richards this summer, should the Blues give him a shot?
We are more than almost certain to buy him out.
We may want/need to get 1 yr (next season's) production out of him first.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:16 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Completely pointless now that we have JayBo. We wouldn't do it before and we definitely won't now.
Thank you.
I will assume that is the consensus, unless I hear further from anyone else.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:18 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
We are more than almost certain to buy him out.
We may want/need to get 1 yr (next season's) production out of him first.
Maybe someone can clarify, I thought the buy-out option was only available (in terms of the special deal for Cap compliance) this and next season. I didn't think it was there indefinitely.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:34 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
The hilarious part is I know exactly where you got that phrase from.

Anyway, I brought up possibly of moving both Halak and Elliott and then going after a UFA goalie is because it can only serve to help us acquire what we need up front by giving us more trade pieces.

I'd go so far as to say that our needs go beyond a 1c.

Another playmaker would help (though some could make the case that simply giving Schwartz and Tarasenko more time on the top lines would fix this) and another forward to park in front of the net, as we lack that presence (Backes, Stewart and Berglund need to step up in that regard).

I don't think we need an elite sniper, I think the "score by committee" can be successful, the problem with this team is that there aren't enough creative passing types to make room for all the shooters we have.
LoL I know where that phrase is well. I guess a few other Blues fans are aware.

Old
04-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Quote:

Just out of curiousity, how do you NOT seea team taking Jones?

The avalanche are almost certain to take him if they get first, and florida's D looks AHL caliber at this point.

Old
04-17-2013, 06:20 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
Just out of curiousity, how do you NOT seea team taking Jones?

The avalanche are almost certain to take him if they get first, and florida's D looks AHL caliber at this point.
I personally see Jones as Erik Johnson. MacKinnon as a Toews with more offensive potential. Drouin as a potential Kane. Personally I would prefer the latter two to Johnson.

Old
04-17-2013, 06:32 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Jones right now might be better than EJ at that age. Jones will probably be what EJ should have been.

Old
04-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Seth Jones is nowhere close to the type of player Erik Johnson is.

Jones is more proven, as he as played CHL competition as compared to college. He also has a much better shot. EJ is more of a pass first, puck move d man, Jones is a scoring d man.

Jones also uses his body.

Old
04-17-2013, 06:40 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I personally see Jones as Erik Johnson. MacKinnon as a Toews with more offensive potential. Drouin as a potential Kane. Personally I would prefer the latter two to Johnson.
I see a lot of Petro in Jones. Granted I've only seen the World Juniors and like two Winterhawks games, but he's very calm with the puck and just doesn't do anything stupid. He makes the right decision almost every single time. He's big like Petro, but not overly physical that I've noticed(also like Petro). I don't see a team passing up a guy that has the potential to control the game for 25 minutes the way Jones does. That said, it's hard to ignore the history of drafting a Dman with the first overall pick. It will be interesting.

Closed Thread