HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Who should we draft?

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Agreed, but I believe some were talking about that only if we won the lottery, which is a long shot. If we had pick no.1(Jones) then I want Poile on the phone with no.2 trying to get another 2nd. I wouldn't want to move out of the top four though.
Exactly. That hypothetical was based on us having #1.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:55 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Agreed, but I believe some were talking about that only if we won the lottery, which is a long shot. If we had pick no.1(Jones) then I want Poile on the phone with no.2 trying to get another 2nd. I wouldn't want to move out of the top four though.
I agree with that.

As good as Jones might be, the odds that he'll ever overtake Weber as our #1 is slim. So, no matter what, he's a #2 D-man for us. So, moving down a spot or two would be Ok with me as long as you can get one of the elite forwards.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:09 PM
braindead

Sportsclubstats has been amazingly accurate in its playoff assessments in the past. For the draft, they show Florida as a near lock for #1 and Avs pretty safe at #2. Preds are in a strong #3/#4 race with the Flames and only Carolina challenging. IF THE PREDS LOSE OUT (PRAISE BE TO ORR), WE ARE A TOP 3 LOCK.

Unless something goes "out of the ordinary" wrong, we should be comortably in the top 5 and likely get 3/4 depending on the outcome of our upcoming Flames game (in which Pekka will get injured in warm ups, Clune will dress as the backup and Mason will get run by Weber early in the first period... but i digress).

In the perfect scenario, we win the lottery and move down from 1 to 3 so Jones goes to the Avs and then we happily take McK or Drouin at 3, whichever is left. In the alternative, Poile stays put and I'd bet the farm he takes McK.

If we finish 3rd or lower, we need to root like crazy that a team above us wins the lottery. The nightmare scenario is finishing 3rd and getting bumped down one.

We need to finish at least 4th if at all possible... that way even a bump to 5th gives us our first choice after the "Big 4" (which I think is more of a big 3). That way Poile still has a number of great choices and may even be able to move back a couple of spots if he knows what teams are doing. To be alock for 4th we can't afford more than a single OT loss; however even at 2-2 we are more likely than not in at 4th or better.

In summary, a loss to Flames is crucial- they look poised to lose out the season otherwise. Other big games: Canes need to win tomorrow against the Jets and Sunday against TBL.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
This is our chance pick up an elite player for free, if we win the lottery we should either take our BPA or trade down only one spot for mackinnon. This kid has been talked about as a no.1 overall for years, just like Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos, etc. I say he's our no.1 guy. Followed by Drouin/Jones

Old
04-17-2013, 04:50 PM
braindead

Quote:
This is our chance pick up an elite player for free, if we win the lottery we should either take our BPA or trade down only one spot for mackinnon. This kid has been talked about as a no.1 overall for years, just like Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos, etc. I say he's our no.1 guy. Followed by Drouin/Jones
Maybe so... I never understand trading one spot down. Don't you have to say "hey, I'll trade down if you don't pick McK" and they say, "screw that, we want Jones anyway so we will wait". How does that work... do you have to threaten to take their guy? You have to get assurances they don't take your's right?

Anyway, McK seems like more of a Preds kind of player but those "human highlight reels" of Drouin are amazing stuff.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Maybe so... I never understand trading one spot down. Don't you have to say "hey, I'll trade down if you don't pick McK" and they say, "screw that, we want Jones anyway so we will wait". How does that work... do you have to threaten to take their guy? You have to get assurances they don't take your's right?

Anyway, McK seems like more of a Preds kind of player but those "human highlight reels" of Drouin are amazing stuff.
Yeah, agreements can be made, we got a pick in return for not selecting Lupul for example. In the top three I don't really care, but I'd we can go out and get another top 50pick while grabbing Mack/Jones/Drouin it'll help us out immensely.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:33 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I see alot of folks talking about getting the high pick and then trading down to get a 2nd or something.

The way I see it - there are 4 pretty sure fire great players (as far as any draft pick can be) - Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, and Barkov in this draft. You have to take one if you can get one.

Lindholm is nice, but we have too many nice players already. We need elite.

Look at it this way, would you trade say, Hornqvist and G.Bourque (two nice players) for an elite guy like, say, Patrick Kane or Giroux? Of course you would.

Because that's the difference between good and elite. Between picking a MacKinnon/Drouin/Barkov and two nice players picked further down.

I don't think barkov deserves to be in same class as Mack and drouin at all. Those two are pretty much as close to a guarantee you get, barkov is definitely not that. I think barkov has same potential as Lindholm and monahan, not to me took he just had surgery.

Also,
If we do win lottery, I can't see a team giving us much for the pick who is also top 2 or 3. Because the team in second knows we won't take jones pretty much for sure so why trade much when they can just take him at second? I could possibly see it working trading with #3 team for them to skip ahead of 2 and get jones, but then at three we don't get to pick drouin or mackinnon, we get whoever isn't taken, maybe poile had a preference between the two?!

Old
04-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
I don't think barkov deserves to be in same class as Mack and drouin at all. Those two are pretty much as close to a guarantee you get, barkov is definitely not that. I think barkov has same potential as Lindholm and monahan, not to me took he just had surgery.

Also,
If we do win lottery, I can't see a team giving us much for the pick who is also top 2 or 3. Because the team in second knows we won't take jones pretty much for sure so why trade much when they can just take him at second? I could possibly see it working trading with #3 team for them to skip ahead of 2 and get jones, but then at three we don't get to pick drouin or mackinnon, we get whoever isn't taken, maybe poile had a preference between the two?!
What you have to look at here is if for example Preds win the lottery where FL moves down to two and CO moves to three. If both want Jones Poile could auction the pick for a really nice return and still get Mac or Drouin at 2 or 3.

Old
04-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Legionnaire11

I would love it if we could package Ellis + 2014 1st + ??? for another top-6 1st in 2013.

Imagine if we just added Forsberg... then Draft MacKinnon/Drouin + Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan... in 2-3 years our top 6 would be the best it's ever been in Preds history.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:21 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I would love it if we could package Ellis + 2014 1st + ??? for another top-6 1st in 2013.

Imagine if we just added Forsberg... then Draft MacKinnon/Drouin + Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan... in 2-3 years our top 6 would be the best it's ever been in Preds history.
Great idea! In fact. Let me take it one step further,

Lets pull a Brian Burke (can't believe I just said that as a good thing haha), and get drouin and mack!! Like he did with the sedins, not bros, but teammates with tons of chemistry!

If we landed the third or second round pick. What would it take to get the other one to land both drouin and Mack?!?!

I would be willing to go all out, I would easily offer Craig smith, Ryan Ellis and our first for next season (which will not even be top fifteen probably). And hell, I would be willing to make changes to the deal. As far as I'm concerned, they could pick two of Ellis, Blum, hornqvist, Watson, fisher, hellberg, leipsic, aberg, budish, sissons, and also our 2014 first and a second if they want! Who cares!! Then imagine us killing it big time next season with Wilson, beck, forsberg, Mack and drouin?!?! Insanity!! Wishful thinking lol

Old
04-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

MacKinnon scares me. He reminds me too much of David Legwand. Trotz will destroy his offensive game.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:13 PM
AintLifeGrand

I think we go Drouin anyways. Preds are looking to shake things up from the usual 2 way forwards and we have never had an elite sniper with exceptional dangling skills.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

You guys have it a little backwards. Drouin is the more two-way guy, drawn comparisons to Toews. Mackinnon is the pure sniper, and I worry about how he would fit into Trotz's system.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:14 PM
maplepred

Why not just bench peks for rest of season? He may steal us a win and that is so not cool!

Old
04-17-2013, 10:31 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
You guys have it a little backwards. Drouin is the more two-way guy, drawn comparisons to Toews. Mackinnon is the pure sniper, and I worry about how he would fit into Trotz's system.
drouin would be closer to kane i think.. mackinnon like a tavares

Old
04-17-2013, 11:10 PM
maplepred

Flames get a win and wings get a loss!!! Awesome night for us in two aspects!!

Old
04-17-2013, 11:29 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Drouin is compared to Kane not Toews, from what I have seen. It is Mackinnon who plays center and this year he has been working on his face-offs and defense from waht Ive gathered from Halifax fans. As for the comparison someone said about Mackinnon and Legwand. No way. This year is so much stronger then the 98 draft year that he is on a whole different level offensively then Legwand was. Mackinnon has been emerged as a number 1 pick for quite some time. Where as Drouin just got into the top 10 this year. I honestly think Mackinnon is the most NHL ready, but Drouin will be the more skilled guy of the two. I will be happy with either.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:45 PM
NoNecksCurse

drouin and mackinnon on the same team at full potential reached would be like toews and kane on Chicago.. not to mention they have hossa, sharp, saad, staalberg, etc .. so stacked they are in forwards

Old
04-18-2013, 12:56 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
MacKinnon scares me. He reminds me too much of David Legwand. Trotz will destroy his offensive game.
Radulov did just fine scoring here in his 1st full season-- playing mostly on the 2nd line too.

Most proven vets who've come here have had very good (if not career) years under Trotz.

More concerning is Poile's ability to evaluate high-end scorers.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:03 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
How are we supposed to image players that have proven zero in the NHL? All we can do is dream right now and hope they pan out.

We also had two other #6 picks with Scottie Upshall and Brian Finley. And our only top 5 pick being David Legwand. It's far from a given that a #6 pick or even a #2 pick will pan out. Especially if it's Poile evaluating offensive ability.

I am happy we are tanking though-- it's about the only hope for us to get some offensive talent in here-- and subsequently the only way for us to ever be close to a contender.

Old
04-18-2013, 05:41 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Just checked the standings. Guys. We control our own destiny to getting in the top-3. We take take care of our business and we're in the top-3 which means we could theoretically win the lottery and pick first. So let's finish this tank job off, take care of business, and then just hope that the dominos fall into place.

Old
04-18-2013, 06:59 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Just checked the standings. Guys. We control our own destiny to getting in the top-3. We take take care of our business and we're in the top-3 which means we could theoretically win the lottery and pick first. So let's finish this tank job off, take care of business, and then just hope that the dominos fall into place.
The 14th place team could theoretically win the lottery and get the #1 overall pick as well.

Old
04-18-2013, 07:03 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The 14th place team could theoretically win the lottery and get the #1 overall pick as well.
Thought you could only move up 2 spots and down one.

Old
04-18-2013, 07:27 AM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Thought you could only move up 2 spots and down one.
http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1963071

"The NHL draft lottery this year will make it possible for any non-playoff team (or a team that acquires the pick via trade) to land the top pick."

Old
04-18-2013, 07:44 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
No, Drouin is the all out offensive player with incredible skills. Sort of like Giroux but left handed, Mackinnon is a good 2 way player with incredible acceleration and speed. Mackinnon also has a great shot and his playmaking is underrated. Obviously Mackinnon is not on Barkov's level defensively but the improvement he has shown over last year in his defensive game is tremendous. He is also one of the youngest players in the draft and so is Barkov.

Closed Thread