HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bozak commanding over 5 million

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-17-2013, 04:43 PM
  #301
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
someone will bite. What else is out there? Saku Koivu/Matt Cullen/Patrick Elias, while still effective, are old.

teams looking for a #2 will bid on Bozak, Roy, and Ribiero. And they'll all get around 5M.


as for who is going to do it? Look to winnipeg, where antropov has been disappointing and jokinen is not a legit 2nd liner anymore. Bozak and Little gives them two top-six faceoff studs. Roy and Ribiero, on the other hand, are terrible at faceoffs.
Just from my perspective - this is why UFA's are typically total train wrecks. Because teams are desperate and willing to pay well over market value for UFAs. I will say that any team paying Bozak $5+M will not be successful long term, because he has no ability to earn that contract.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:48 PM
  #302
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
This is one of the greatest misconceptions on these boards.

He's 27 and you cant see him getting much better???? Players at this age are just hitting their prime for god's sake. It's why they generally start getting "paid" around 28.

Bozak is going to get $5 million. There's not a doubt in my mind. The problem with the Leafs is they have Grabovski signed at that rate and he's nowhere near playing to that contract. They CANNOT let this effect their Bozak negotiations.

Hopefully they retain him. What's the alternative? And please dont say Colborne.
The alternative is getting a 3rd line center.

Kadri - 1st line
Grabovski - 2nd line
? - 3rd line
McClement - 4th line

IMO - you can't afford to pay a 3rd line center 2nd line+ money because he's got good chemistry with Kessel.

If you give Bozak $5M, how do you afford Kadri when it's time for him to get paid? Being a GM is about knowing when to walk away, and Bozak at $5M is the perfect example.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:53 PM
  #303
meedle
Registered User
 
meedle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 3,819
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
The alternative is getting a 3rd line center.

Kadri - 1st line
Grabovski - 2nd line
? - 3rd line
McClement - 4th line

IMO - you can't afford to pay a 3rd line center 2nd line+ money because he's got good chemistry with Kessel.

If you give Bozak $5M, how do you afford Kadri when it's time for him to get paid? Being a GM is about knowing when to walk away, and Bozak at $5M is the perfect example.
By the time you need to pay Kadri 5 or whatever the cap will be back up to 70 mil or so.

meedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:56 PM
  #304
BayStreetBullies*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeger View Post
https://twitter.com/TSN1050Radio/sta...86107372113921


Wow. Can't see anyone biting at that price
If that's true, Bozak can command a one-way ticket out of Toronto.

BayStreetBullies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:57 PM
  #305
frankthetank91
Registered User
 
frankthetank91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
If we can't resign him it won't be that bad. Can still roll with..

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Kulemin
Frattin-McClement-Komarov
McClaren-Colborne/Hamilton-Orr

However this is with players currently in the system. Ideally he'll stay though.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:57 PM
  #306
The Big D
Registered User
 
The Big D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
By the time you need to pay Kadri 5 or whatever the cap will be back up to 70 mil or so.
That doesn't mean you have Kadri grabbo and bozak $16m+(none of whom are either a top line centre or a prototypical shut down centre) that's ridiculous, Tyler bozak will either resign for around $3.5 $4 max on a short deal around 2 or 3 years or he will be disappointing fans somewhere else earning that 5m..

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:04 PM
  #307
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
With 30 teams fighting over scraps, it's not exactly a buyer's market this year.
That's why a smart GM will walk away, and look to add reasonably priced 3rd line center when you've got Grabovski & Kadri.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:14 PM
  #308
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
By the time you need to pay Kadri 5 or whatever the cap will be back up to 70 mil or so.
IMO - if Kadri/Grabo/Bozak are you top 3 centers, do you want to be paying them $16M when you've got guys young guys coming off ELC's looking for raises? I sure wouldn't, which is why you have to know when to walk away.

What percentage of UFA's justify their salaries? A pretty small percentage, and I don't think you can afford to overpay Bozak by $1+M because he's been lucky enough to play on the 1st line with Kessel even though he's got 3rd line skill.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:17 PM
  #309
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
That doesn't mean you have Kadri grabbo and bozak $16m+(none of whom are either a top line centre or a prototypical shut down centre) that's ridiculous, Tyler bozak will either resign for around $3.5 $4 max on a short deal around 2 or 3 years or he will be disappointing fans somewhere else earning that 5m..
Hopefully. Would love to see him walk, and let someone else hand him a garbage contract. Would much rather make a mistake with one of the UFA C's that are about to hit the market (or fill it with someone internally) than overpay Bozak.

__________________
"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:18 PM
  #310
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
The alternative is getting a 3rd line center.

Kadri - 1st line
Grabovski - 2nd line
? - 3rd line
McClement - 4th line

IMO - you can't afford to pay a 3rd line center 2nd line+ money because he's got good chemistry with Kessel.

If you give Bozak $5M, how do you afford Kadri when it's time for him to get paid? Being a GM is about knowing when to walk away, and Bozak at $5M is the perfect example.
The problem is we're already paying a 3rd line center $5 million per. Nonis cannot allow that to come into play with Bozak. The need to move Grabovski. It's as simple as that.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:19 PM
  #311
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
The problem is we're already paying a 3rd line center $5 million per. Nonis cannot allow that to come into play with Bozak. The need to move Grabovski. It's as simple as that.
No, we're paying a 2nd line center 5m per and letting a 3rd liner run with the big boys

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:25 PM
  #312
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
No, we're paying a 2nd line center 5m per and letting a 3rd liner run with the big boys
When you're buried at the end of the bench for extended lengths during games, you're not a 2nd line player just being sent a message. Maybe Grabovski finds himself this offseason and comes back with an new attitude. I lost all faith in him after sitting most of the 3rd a couple weeks ago and then giving a half #@$ effort on his shootout attempt. Maybe he redeems himself come the playoffs and all will be forgotten. Who knows... At least we get to see some playoff hockey..

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:28 PM
  #313
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
When you're buried at the end of the bench for extended lengths during games, you're not a 2nd line player just being sent a message. Maybe Grabovski finds himself this offseason and comes back with an new attitude. I lost all faith in him after sitting most of the 3rd a couple weeks ago and then giving a half #@$ effort on his shootout attempt. Maybe he redeems himself come the playoffs and all will be forgotten. Who knows... At least we get to see some playoff hockey..
C'mon. If Bozak was held to the same accountability he'd be the 3rd line center already and we wouldn't be debating the outrageousness of 5m per for him. I'm not saying Grabs didn't deserve to be benched, but he was given a job to do and did it while the offense ran dry, but at least when he has offense, it's his, not living nicely off the work of Kessel this year, and Lupul and Kessel last year and still doing a completely terrible job at it.

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:33 PM
  #314
Chacal667
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
the leafs should let him go, they have kadri and grabovski, they don't need bozak, not at 5m...

Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:45 PM
  #315
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
C'mon. If Bozak was held to the same accountability he'd be the 3rd line center already and we wouldn't be debating the outrageousness of 5m per for him. I'm not saying Grabs didn't deserve to be benched, but he was given a job to do and did it while the offense ran dry, but at least when he has offense, it's his, not living nicely off the work of Kessel this year, and Lupul and Kessel last year and still doing a completely terrible job at it.

Do you honestly think Grabovski is a better player than Bozak right now? If so, we'll have to disagree on that one. Im a big Carlyle guy so I'll have to agree on what he's doing with Grabovski. There's a reason why he's been buried. They're not burying him for a week and then moving him back in. He's buried pretty deep.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:47 PM
  #316
Chacal667
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Do you honestly think Grabovski is a better player than Bozak right now? If so, we'll have to disagree on that one. Im a big Carlyle guy so I'll have to agree on what he's doing with Grabovski. There's a reason why he's been buried. They're not burying him for a week and then moving him back in. He's buried pretty deep.
he's not the only one who believe that

grabo is a better player but he's an *******.

Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:50 PM
  #317
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,325
vCash: 500
There is no way the Leafs are paying Bozak 5M.....

Guys like Dreger and Kypreos seem to be rumour mongers of the worst kind...throwing crap in the wind, and then people run with it...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:56 PM
  #318
Chacal667
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
There is no way the Leafs are paying Bozak 5M.....

Guys like Dreger and Kypreos seem to be rumour mongers of the worst kind...throwing crap in the wind, and then people run with it...
we will see

Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:56 PM
  #319
Trends Analyst
Across the Universe
 
Trends Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
There is no way the Leafs are paying Bozak 5M.....

Guys like Dreger and Kypreos seem to be rumour mongers of the worst kind...throwing crap in the wind, and then people run with it...
Except Darren Dregers cousin is the GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs so when its something Leafs related its usually true.

Trends Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:57 PM
  #320
Chacal667
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
lol bozak will sign for 5m/year while ribeiro will sign for the same thing

Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:57 PM
  #321
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Do you honestly think Grabovski is a better player than Bozak right now? If so, we'll have to disagree on that one. Im a big Carlyle guy so I'll have to agree on what he's doing with Grabovski. There's a reason why he's been buried. They're not burying him for a week and then moving him back in. He's buried pretty deep.
Fair enough. We only get to second guess after the fact on things like this anyway. The way I see things, if Bozak was the 2nd line center, would he have the points he has now? No. If he was the 3rd line center would he have even the points Grabs has right now? I'm thinking not. Bozak is good at faceoffs and replaceable at everything else, literally. He is the John McDonald of 1st line centers, but John gets Lawrie's bat to help him in negotiations. That's Bozak. The idea some have that because no one can replace him (bs), or that him and Kessel are friends ( who cares) so we have to pay him that kind of money for what he actually brings is a joke, plain and simple.

McClement is a better player defensively in every sense of the word. Kulemin is better defensively in every sense of the word. Komarov is better defensively is every sense of the word. Bozak doesn't bring offense to the one position on every team where offense is most important, 1st line center, so he's left with faceoff abilities. Gordon is a UFA and he's better than Bozak at that aspect and would cost about 1.5m per year, and he is better defensively than Bozak.

Lets look at what face offs do for us. Nothing. We aren't a possession team so we end up giving the puck away on almost every offensive faceoff. Same with neutral zone. His faceoffs are important to us in the defensive zone. All in all, he is a faceoff guy for defensive zone plays. 5m for that? He isn't physical. Not sure why that keeps popping up. He isn't great at the cycle, not sure why that gets brought up. He isn't a great passer. Not sure why that gets brought up, although figuring how long it's been since we had one maybe this is why some think it. His IQ is replacement player, meaning when everything is said and done, he can be replaced for everything except faceoffs, but wait, he can be replaced for those as well at a fraction of the cost

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:07 PM
  #322
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
he's not the only one who believe that

grabo is a better player but he's an *******.
I understand the Grabo or Grabo not debate and there's some arguments both ways. I look at it this way. If a coach who demands work ethic is burying you on the bench, you're not the type of player I want on my team. It's that simple. With the success the Leafs have had this season it's hard to argue otherwise.

Like I said earlier, if he goes on and has a great playoff, all is forgiven and Im sure he'll regain a lot of respect. I just worry, he's lost some of that in the room too but that's up for debate.

Regardless, the Grabovski contract is going to come into play with Bozak, or at least with Bozak's agent. That said, the Leafs shouldnt play to much hardball on this. Im sure they can come up with something fair to both sides.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:07 PM
  #323
Cleatus
Registered User
 
Cleatus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London, ON, CAN.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,731
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
I'd much rather have Grabovski as a 5.5m 3rd line center than Bozak as a 5m+ 1st line center. If his outlandish demands are true, let him walk and let some other team make a huge mistake on him.

Such a mediocre offensive player. He's absolutely insane if he thinks he's worth more than 3.5m a year.

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:09 PM
  #324
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers
 
Vancouver_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
and some of our fans would want to trade Luongo for him

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:10 PM
  #325
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats
 
Kyle Doobas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,662
vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
Fair enough. We only get to second guess after the fact on things like this anyway. The way I see things, if Bozak was the 2nd line center, would he have the points he has now? No. If he was the 3rd line center would he have even the points Grabs has right now? I'm thinking not. Bozak is good at faceoffs and replaceable at everything else, literally. He is the John McDonald of 1st line centers, but John gets Lawrie's bat to help him in negotiations. That's Bozak. The idea some have that because no one can replace him (bs), or that him and Kessel are friends ( who cares) so we have to pay him that kind of money for what he actually brings is a joke, plain and simple.

McClement is a better player defensively in every sense of the word. Kulemin is better defensively in every sense of the word. Komarov is better defensively is every sense of the word. Bozak doesn't bring offense to the one position on every team where offense is most important, 1st line center, so he's left with faceoff abilities. Gordon is a UFA and he's better than Bozak at that aspect and would cost about 1.5m per year, and he is better defensively than Bozak.

Lets look at what face offs do for us. Nothing. We aren't a possession team so we end up giving the puck away on almost every offensive faceoff. Same with neutral zone. His faceoffs are important to us in the defensive zone. All in all, he is a faceoff guy for defensive zone plays. 5m for that? He isn't physical. Not sure why that keeps popping up. He isn't great at the cycle, not sure why that gets brought up. He isn't a great passer. Not sure why that gets brought up, although figuring how long it's been since we had one maybe this is why some think it. His IQ is replacement player, meaning when everything is said and done, he can be replaced for everything except faceoffs, but wait, he can be replaced for those as well at a fraction of the cost
Good post Teeder. I'd give Bozak a $3M 'Chris Kelly' deal at the most. If that's not enough then there are other players who can bring everything he brings at a much more reasonable cap hit.

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.