HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIV: Be Seeing You

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Glendale city finances could be nearing steep cliff

To quote:

"Payments to the potential new owners of the Phoenix Coyotes or a separate management firm to operate Jobing.com Arena. Next year’s budget assumes the city could pay an arena manager $6.5 million."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...eep-cliff.html

Also, from the article:

"According to current forecasts, the city will have $3.4 million in reserve in the general fund at the end of fiscal 2014. Without serious restructuring, by 2015 the city would be $3.8 million in the red, and by 2018, the city would have a $20.3 million shortfall."

It looks like my City of Glendale is becoming the next Stockton!

Be seeing you!

Old
04-17-2013, 07:46 PM
blues10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post

To quote:

"Payments to the potential new owners of the Phoenix Coyotes or a separate management firm to operate Jobing.com Arena. Next year’s budget assumes the city could pay an arena manager $6.5 million."

Also, from the article:

"According to current forecasts, the city will have $3.4 million in reserve in the general fund at the end of fiscal 2014. Without serious restructuring, by 2015 the city would be $3.8 million in the red, and by 2018, the city would have a $20.3 million shortfall."

Be seeing you!
Knaack, Martinez, Frate and Clark should win the US municipalities polticians of the decade award for their vision in Glendale. Truly visionaries ahead of their time.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Glacial

Quote:

To quote:

Also, from the article:

Be seeing you!

Is this the part where Bettman thanks the city for their tireless support of the Coyotes, takes the $20M from the escrow account and flees, laughing maniacally, adding Glendale to his list of Monorail cities along with Ogdenville & West Haverbrook?

Old
04-17-2013, 07:54 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
Is this the part where Bettman thanks the city for their tireless support of the Coyotes, takes the $20M from the escrow account and flees, laughing maniacally, adding Glendale to his list of Monorail cities along with Ogdenville & West Haverbrook?
Nope, he is still afraid that the $20 million is HRR.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Knaack, Martinez, Frate and Clark should win the US municipalities polticians of the decade award for their vision in Glendale. Truly visionaries ahead of their time.
I think the entire City Council and Staff from 2001 - present cannot escape blame here, in varying capacities.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:10 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
I think the entire City Council and Staff from 2001 - present cannot escape blame here, in varying capacities.
Lynch, Beasley, Skeete and Coulson up for Municipal Managers of the Quarter Century.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
It could be worse, Hulsizer or Jamison mightve pulled off the Crime of the Century and then you guys would well & truly have been eff'd. No hope, no return. At least here, turnaround though not insignificant can at least be accomplished. All its gonna take is either with or without the franchise someone to for the love of God already simply start booking the building. Preferably WITH the team but at this stage in the game, not looking good, and Im not liking the looks of the potential drivers. A Rolls Royce just dying for passengers and it just sits there.

Parked!

Be seeing you...

Old
04-17-2013, 08:37 PM
XX
... Waiting

The RFP is probably a good sign for Glendale. Hard for some skeezy outfit like the 'Phoenix Monarch Group' to pick up that contract. And hard for the emperor to get his 4 separate contracts wish. Sherwood has managed to save the city from itself. Those $6m a year projections are pretty damning.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:09 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Nice work on attendance, NHL.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Llama19

Craig Morgan ‏@cmorgancbsfoxaz

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly: Glendale "RFP doesn't affect ownership search at this point."

Source: https://twitter.com/cmorgancbsfoxaz

Yeah, and Jamison is still searching for that last tree!

Be seeing you!

Old
04-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The RFP is probably a good sign for Glendale. Hard for some skeezy outfit like the 'Phoenix Monarch Group' to pick up that contract. And hard for the emperor to get his 4 separate contracts wish. Sherwood has managed to save the city from itself. Those $6m a year projections are pretty damning.
I wouldn't be so quick to anoint Sherwood as the sole savior of Glendale there, XX.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
According to Pollstar, the figures do not compute!

2008: #59 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ - 200,377 - N/A
2009: #58 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ - 208,877 - N/A
2010: #80 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ - 150,661 - 359,004 (from FY2010)
2011: #177 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ - 52,628 - 212,709 (from FY2011)
2012: #166 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ - 68,550 - 147,740 (from FY2012)

Whom do you believe when they use 'fiscal year' vs 'actual year' figures?

Source:

pollstar.com/

2011 report: njsea.com/uploadedFiles/IZOD2011Pollstar.pdf
2012 report: http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/cha...renaVenues.pdf

Be seeing you!

Last edited by Llama19: 04-17-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Ranking for 2012
Old
04-17-2013, 10:42 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to anoint Sherwood as the sole savior of Glendale there, XX.
It may be premature but Sherwood was the only one who really advocated using an outside entity to negotiate an AMF.

Before getting elected to the council he was on the Glendale planning commission. And probably the only person who has deep knowledge knowledge as to what's been going on the past 4+ years.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:43 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
FWIW... Global currently manages the UoP Stadium next door. The NFL Cardinals have their own entity Rojo Management which has some tie in as well (concessions... etc.). Rojo is also looking to manage a facility (playing fields) there that Glendale owns as part of their attempt to move the Cardinals pre-season camp to Glendale.

CF..... could we be looking at something along those lines??
There are so many possibilities, we could be looking at anything. I didn't know anything about the Global contract at the NFL stadium, thanks for the direction on that. I didn't have time for a proper review, so I'm working from the first thing I found, which is this: http://www.az-sta.com/pdf_files/audi...of%20AZSTA.pdf

The Global recitals start @ p.11
Basically, Global gets $200k with a nominal accelerator + incentive. The public partner advances capital so Global is insulated and the subjective gives them a taste on BCS and SB.

The Rojo entities look like owner skims (Bidwill). NFL lawyers are the Everest of the industry. Check out the 17.5 point parking dip on @ p.13 If I could keep time in a bottle, I'd cross walk that to the case the Cardinals threatened against Glendale last summer regarding parking.

Anyway, I doubt we are looking at anything like that. The AZ-TSA has backstop from Hotel, Rental Car, etc. Glendale has to tap GF. No interlocals here. Glendale is on their own.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Yes of course it is, and precisely why Beacon as the Gatekeeper & Authors of the RFP bothers me. All of the top arena management companies that would qualify are either owned in part by or have NHL/NBA ties, the leagues working together, Stern & Bettman, a phone call here, an email there, whatever, and the plot just gets thicker & thicker & thicker. Look at Hamilton with Copps. Just last year, appoints Sniders Global Spectrum. Part of that contract including a vague promise that GS would attempt to facilitate the procurement of an NHL franchise & worded very much like Beacons RFP in the point detailing precisely that, though not "NHL Franchise" specific. "Anchor Tenant" the operative word. Now, there are some smaller operators out there, but they in some cases either dont qualify, or are beholding to the bigger players who if they piss off could make life very difficult for, crush them like an annoying bug. So ya, its plausible that Beacon doesnt have the City's best interests at heart here & is simply giving the appearance of such, having been bought off & corrupted by God only knows. I surely do hope not, touch wood, for surely Glendales been through enough as it is with Beasley et al. Almost to much to take if we discover yet further duplicity & skullduggery goin on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
The top 3 are AEG, Global Spectrum & SMG, then you get into smaller types who specialize in specific areas though they do include arena or facility management services, be it concessions like Jeremy Jacobs with Delaware North or a LiveNation or House of Blues type operation, all of whom in addition to producing events also act as booking agents & do manage all kinds of venues as well. Virtually all of them have either direct or indirect connections to the NHL in one way or another. Its a very small world blues. Everyone knows everyone, key personnel moving from the franchise to the management sides to the concessions or booking end of things, from sponsorship & advertising to media relations to various league positions & on & on both here in North America & Globally.
Why do you have an issue with Beacon issuing the RFP? The issuance is only the first step in the process. Also, AEG manages many arenas with and without NHL teams, as do many other firms.

When it comes to making money, the arena manager are not going to kowtow to Bettman and the NHL as their revenue will dwarf the NHL's revenue. Hell, they are talking a whopping what 3 billion in revenue for the NHL. Guess what, that doesn't even qualify for a fortune 500 company. A Fortune 500 would require revenue of 4.7 billion. Arena management firms wouldn't give a crap about the NHL and whether the arena had a team or not.

Quote:
Craig Morgan ‏@cmorgancbsfoxaz

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly: Glendale "RFP doesn't affect ownership search at this point."

Source: https://twitter.com/cmorgancbsfoxaz

Yeah, and Jamison is still searching for that last tree!

Be seeing you!
Do you mean that last investor that would cough up the 170 mil to buy the team??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
It may be premature but Sherwood was the only one who really advocated using an outside entity to negotiate an AMF.

Before getting elected to the council he was on the Glendale planning commission. And probably the only person who has deep knowledge knowledge as what's been going on the past 4+ years.
They are not using Beacon to negotiate the AMF, they are using Beacon to prepare the RFP and put it out there for responses. They may not even be using Beacon to evaluate the responses.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:09 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Can I get a #3 Eddie B with no standards, a large AMF, and a diet coke?

That'll be $25MM, please pull forward to the first window.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:25 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
According to Pollstar, the figures do not compute!

2008: #59 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ - 200,377 - N/A
2009: #58 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ - 208,877 - N/A
2010: #80 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ - 150,661 - 359,004 (from FY2010)
2011: #177 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ - 52,628 - 212,709 (from FY2011)

Whom do you believe when they use 'fiscal year' vs 'actual year' figures?

Source:

pollstar.com/

2011 report: njsea.com/uploadedFiles/IZOD2011Pollstar.pdf
2012 report: http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/cha...renaVenues.pdf

Be seeing you!
The Pollstar numbers only include non-sporting events, while the Glendale numbers include things like HS Basketball, Bull Riding, Rodeo, Figure Skating, Street League Skateboarding, etc - although that would only account for part of the differences.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:11 AM
enarwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Warriors View Post
Seeing how inept the City of Glendale 'appeared' to be under the past Mayor and council's leadership and the huge number of non-hockey events booked into Jobing.com, I'm guessing the AMA between Glendale and the NHL would be shocking to even a 7th graders knowledge / idea of maximizing revenue.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:38 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Question... I assume this is all contingent on the NHL not excercising their option to unilaterally renew their lease/management. If the team leaves, I assume they wouldn't screw Glendale by insisting on the lease... I hope.

Old
04-18-2013, 06:01 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
The Pollstar numbers only include non-sporting events, while the Glendale numbers include things like HS Basketball, Bull Riding, Rodeo, Figure Skating, Street League Skateboarding, etc - although that would only account for part of the differences.
Those recurring events account for about 70k or so a year, so:

Quote:

Old
04-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Why do you have an issue with Beacon issuing the RFP? The issuance is only the first step in the process. Also, AEG manages many arenas with and without NHL teams, as do many other firms.
Why would I or anyone have an "issue" with Beacon?... well, lets see here now; for starters, might have something to do with their having been retained by Ed Beasley upon Michael Reinsdorfs recommendation at just under the $50,000 limit thereby not requiring council approval to conduct a study of the arena in the fall of 2008, receiving $48,000 for a piece of work that basically came to these 2 brilliant conclusions & suggestions;

1) The Coyotes must sell more tickets, luxury suites & sponsorships.
2) The Coyotes Arena Management Team must book more non-hockey events.

Not exact quotes, but pretty close. Appeared to be written by a narcoleptic Grade 12 student hoping to take course's in sports management at a low level rural belt community college who's mainline curriculums feature things like Outboard Motor Mechanics & Marina Management, Veterinarian Secretarial Sciences & so on, all sensible & practical things to be pursuing in comparison. So there ya go, $48,000.00 for that. About 3 pages in length.... are you frikin kiddin me do I have problem with Beacon?

Sordid connections to Michael Reinsdorfs company IFG. Funny business & bad behaviour in Florida, Texas & California (elsewhere as well, including other jurisdictions in Az) including law suits loaded with accusations of some pretty sleazy actions by Beacon & or some of its principals & players. So ya, you'll just have to excuse me all ta Hell for having a "problem" with Beacon here Tommy. So far so good, lets just see how this thing plays out. 80% of the time they'll run it straight. Remains to be seen if there isnt some sort of a Dog Leg built into the course theyve designed here as the Authors & Gatekeeper's to the RFP. We'll see, but these Boys, they have "history". Ignore that at your own peril.

Note; of course AEG, GS & SMG manage all kinds of facilities without anchor tenants, some strictly entertainment venues from Vegas to Branson. I have no idea why you would feel it neccessary to point that out to me or anyone else here, like, Duh. Theyve got full-on entertainment booking & production services but tell ya what? Youve got your head up your ass if you think for one second that any one of them "doesnt care" whether or not theres an NHL/NBA tenant in an arena (note that, ARENA, indoor A.R.E.N.A. With an ice plant. 17,500+ seater, all the bells & whistles in an 'A' market. NHL or NBA tenant installed or city wanting one; then you get into different classifications of market sizing, specific types of venues, seating capacities etc etc etc; show theatres, show lounges, dinner theatres, casino's, cultural centres, on & on). I dont know where you'd get such an idea.

Last edited by Killion: 04-18-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old
04-18-2013, 09:53 AM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The RFP is probably a good sign for Glendale. Hard for some skeezy outfit like the 'Phoenix Monarch Group' to pick up that contract.
Well, yeah, but there was never any real possibility of that happening anyway:

10-15-12, 12:39 AM CasualFan
the blog presented Chariva as guilty and then attempted to work backwards using deranged versions of events to support the desired conclusion. The blogger invents nefarious activity where it turns out there was none. The writing style is pretty hapless but as far as I can tell, the blogger believes this is all part of a conspiracy for this Phoenix Monarch Group to get a management contract for Jobing.com Arena. Except, the PMG would not qualify as a sole source provider. The City Council could not just award a city contract to PMG (not even a Latino majority with a hidden agenda could pull that off...) The competitive bid process would be required by code. The blog completely whiffs on even that most elementary aspect of government procurement and contracting law. The blog creates this crackpot theory but the end game of the conspiracy isn't even possible.

TeamBeavis isn't a really good channel for intelligent observations. But if you like deranged, delusional, and down right stupid - they've got you covered.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:05 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Nope, he is still afraid that the $20 million is HRR.
is it that simple?

Old
04-18-2013, 10:20 AM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
is it that simple?
Could be. If the $20M is HRR that's extra $$$ to the players and the league doesn't get the full amount of it. If it isn't HRR, the league gets it all.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:04 AM
barneyg

Quote:
Quote:
Given that the NHL spent a grand total of $14,000 on marketing and booking in 2012 (source: 2nd link above), that's actually a pretty good bang for the buck!

Now that these numbers are public, there is absolutely no way for the COG to sign a new lease with an arena manager that is also the team owner (e.g. JIG-like) for $8+ million in today's dollars, with or without the RFP.

Closed Thread