HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1959 NHL Rule Changes

Old
04-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
1959 NHL Rule Changes

Pre trapezoid attempts at regulating goalies and other tweeks:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...7098%2C1872550

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 04-17-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:29 PM
DJ Man

Ah yes, "emergency goalkeepers"!

I ask you, in what other sport is one position considered so specialized that you'd employ an amateur, or a member of the opposition rather than one of your own substitutes? I know that they considered it to expensive to keep a second goalie on the roster. What would have that cost in those days, maybe $3,500 anually?

DJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Canadiens1958

Emergency Goalkeepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Man View Post
Ah yes, "emergency goalkeepers"!

I ask you, in what other sport is one position considered so specialized that you'd employ an amateur, or a member of the opposition rather than one of your own substitutes? I know that they considered it to expensive to keep a second goalie on the roster. What would have that cost in those days, maybe $3,500 anually?
The hockey establishment down to the C.A.H.A. was very"penny wise but pound foolish".

Ironically two of the teams - Toronto with Bower and Chadwick, Boston with Lumley and Simmons carried two goalies during the 1958-59 season so the cost was part of operations and definitely affordable for the others.

Did produce some interesting trivia - Claude Pronovost, Len Broderick.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:30 PM
mbhhofr

In amateur hockey, they also never carried a spare goalie on the bench. If a goalie was given a game misconduct or match penalty, the team couldn't replace him with their spare goalie who was in the stands. They had to use a regular skater from the bench. He was given twenty minutes to change into the goalie equipment and allowed a two minute warm-up.

In 1960, I had a Jr. game where this happened and I allowed the spare goalie, who was in the stands, to get dressed. When I reported the game misconduct penalty to my RIC, he asked me who replaced him and I told him that I let them dress the spare goalie. He told me that I was wrong. I then pointed out that if any coach had a half a brain, he would tell the player, who was from the bench and now in goal, to go down when the puck was around the goal and fake an injury. Now, the spare goalie can replace him. Another twenty minutes to allow him to dress and a two minute warm-up.

I brought this up to our CAHA rules rep for Manitoba and the CAHA
changed the rule the next year to allow the spare goalie to come in to replace the penalized regular goalie.

mbhhofr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:20 AM
DJ Man

If the Yankees last catcher went down, we know that one of their utility infielders would strap on the gear and do his best. It's not like Joe Girardi would come out of retirement then and there.

If the Packers' placekicker gets hurt, they don't scour the stands for some college kicker, not do they borrow one from the Bears. They ask the punter, or some other guy do the job (or they forget about any more field goals that day).

I'm pretty sure that goalies did not count against the active roster limit. I.e., carrying a second goalie did not mean that a team had to make do with one less skater.

Face it, they were just risking a loss that day out of cheapness.

Old
04-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
In amateur hockey, they also never carried a spare goalie on the bench. If a goalie was given a game misconduct or match penalty, the team couldn't replace him with their spare goalie who was in the stands. They had to use a regular skater...
Well thats interesting. So basically, if the goalie gets ejected (or hurt?) then a player has to fill-in; but then if he gets hurt (or ejected?) then & only then could the team haul the spare out of the stands? Was that because rosters were smaller back then and you had to have a minimum number of skaters?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:02 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
In amateur hockey, they also never carried a spare goalie on the bench. If a goalie was given a game misconduct or match penalty, the team couldn't replace him with their spare goalie who was in the stands. They had to use a regular skater from the bench. He was given twenty minutes to change into the goalie equipment and allowed a two minute warm-up.
Out of curiosity, did the teams stay on their benches during that 20 minutes? Or return to their locker rooms?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:51 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Out of curiosity, did the teams stay on their benches during that 20 minutes? Or return to their locker rooms?
They usually stayed on their benches. Even though they were allowed 20 minutes, it usually took less time.

Last edited by mbhhofr: 04-18-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old
04-18-2013, 11:02 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well thats interesting. So basically, if the goalie gets ejected (or hurt?) then a player has to fill-in; but then if he gets hurt (or ejected?) then & only then could the team haul the spare out of the stands? Was that because rosters were smaller back then and you had to have a minimum number of skaters?
Goalie ejected, player from the bench. Goalie injured, spare goalie allowed. I can't tell you why they never carried a spare goalie on the bench, but many times in pro hockey, the spare goalie was also the team's trainer.

When I refereed in the IHL, during one game, the visiting team's goalie called me over and told me that he had to go to the bathroom real bad. No spare goalie on the bench. I let him go and told the other team that he had a problem with his equipment and he had to go to the dressing room to fix it.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

This threads screaming out for the stories about backups back in the day who were comp'd tickets & paid a cash stipend to "be ready" just in case when only one goalie dressed. Hilarious stories. Cant remember name/location, but I think Detroit, guy sells the tickets, pockets the stipend, heads to a comfortable bar, gets loaded.... until the night when I think it was Sawchuk gets seriously cut open or whatever. This guy tracked down. Thrown in cut to the gills. Legend being what it is, stones Richard & the Habs or whomever.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:54 AM
mbhhofr

One of the most famous spare goalies was "Lefty" Wilson who was also the Detroit trainer for many years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/09/sp...hl-goalie.html

Old
04-19-2013, 05:44 AM
Canadiens1958

Optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Referees discretion. End of first or second period(within 5 minutes),goalie injury or major altercation the referee had the option of sending both teams to the dressing rooms, having the ice re-surfaced then finishing the period, switching ends and playing the next period.

Old
04-19-2013, 05:50 AM
Canadiens1958

Lore

Quote:
This threads screaming out for the stories about backups back in the day who were comp'd tickets & paid a cash stipend to "be ready" just in case when only one goalie dressed. Hilarious stories. Cant remember name/location, but I think Detroit, guy sells the tickets, pockets the stipend, heads to a comfortable bar, gets loaded.... until the night when I think it was Sawchuk gets seriously cut open or whatever. This guy tracked down. Thrown in cut to the gills. Legend being what it is, stones Richard & the Habs or whomever.
Looks like a combination of Alf Moore - 1938 Playoffs and Claude Pronovost, January 14,1956:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?H19550122

Pronovost a minor leaguer, Canadiens farmhand, just out of junior replaced an injured Sawchuk then with Boston, against the Canadiens and their collection of superstars, winning 2-0.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
One of the most famous spare goalies was "Lefty" Wilson who was also the Detroit trainer for many years.
Ya, old Lefty. He had quite the cottage industry going there throughout through the late 50' & through the 60's with his masks, making Sawchuks original. I believe they were $39.95 compared to Plantes model's in the $89-$130 range; or $200+ for a custom jobbie from Harrison or whomever.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:02 PM
DJ Man

Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/09/sp...hl-goalie.html
If I remember correctly, on one occasion, Lefty went in for the opposition and helped beat the Wings. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! Was this great sportsmanship, or insanity?

Old
04-19-2013, 06:05 PM
DJ Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Referees discretion. End of first or second period(within 5 minutes),goalie injury or major altercation the referee had the option of sending both teams to the dressing rooms, having the ice re-surfaced then finishing the period, switching ends and playing the next period.
That happened in a Stanley Cup final game I heard on the radio, 1962 I think. Johnny Bower of the Leafs got hurt with just over five minutes left in the first period vs the Black Hawks. They took the intermission, allowing Don Simmons to suit up, then resumed for an elongated second period.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:08 PM
DJ Man

I remembered reading about Walter "Gunzo" Humeniuk, the Black Hawks equipment manager and spare goalie. He ran a sporting goods store in town as well.

http://www.gunzos.com/about-c354.html

Maybe he was so bad a goalie that it inspired Glenn Hall to play every minute of 500+ games in those days.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Canadiens1958

Walter Humeniuk

Quote:
I remembered reading about Walter "Gunzo" Humeniuk, the Black Hawks equipment manager and spare goalie. He ran a sporting goods store in town as well.

http://www.gunzos.com/about-c354.html

Maybe he was so bad a goalie that it inspired Glenn Hall to play every minute of 500+ games in those days.
Walter Humeniuk played one IHL game during the 1950-51 season. Gave up 15 goals:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...004551951.html

Old
04-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Isnt that interesting. When I was a kid in the 60's in Toronto I became aware of Gunzo's Sporting Goods as all of the Blackhawks sticks were stamped with that logo, a friends father receiving several from Hull, Mikita & others. Then at summer hockey camps, players equipment from Chicagoland in most cases bearing the Gunzo's label. Name like "Gunzo" kinda sticks in the brain.

Quote:
Walter Humeniuk played one IHL game during the 1950-51 season. Gave up 15 goals:
Yikes.... I mean, what can ya say about that?

Old
04-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Canadiens1958

Gumper

Quote:

Yikes.... I mean, what can ya say about that?
Gumper gave up 14 to the Leafs in a 1957 game :

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?H19560200

Old
04-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Gumper gave up 14 to the Leafs in a 1957 game :
Ya, can happen, and thats an interesting one right there. Smith & Cullen of the Leafs both
had Hat Tricks, Sloan had a pair. Gumper faced 47 shots all told, stopping 33. Busy night.