HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Major AHL Shakeup? Abbotsford to NY, Peoria to Abbotsford, STL affiliates w/ Chicago?

Old
04-11-2013, 08:38 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 652
Quick to dismiss other people's opinions when you only present opinions of your own, aren't ya? What the AHL used to have realignment-wise doesn't have an impact on what could be considered now, especially for a league that has seen shuffles almost continuously for the past couple offseasons. If anything, the points you brought up indicate that the league is more than willing to put a team or two or three in somewhat less advantageous geographic alignments if they think it's in the best interests of the rest of the league. Plus, the Checkers were a new team throughout all of this, so even though Norfolk was the closest team, it's not like they really had a real rivalry with anybody at the time of their realignments from the East to the Midwest and now to the South.

Maybe they just keep everything as is and just have Utica, which is looking more and more like a sure thing, will just be the odd man out in an off-the-wall alignment, but there's no way anybody knows one way or the other. Syracuse doesn't need to be convinced of anything if enough other owners vote to realign them to a different division, after all, and I doubt that the league would specifically base what they want to do alignment-wise primarily around Syracuse being in one division versus another.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:44 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
I just hope the likelyhood of increased attendnace in Abbotsford with a Canuck affiliate doesn't kill Loonie Toonie Dog and Brew nights. Decent sized hot dogs for a buck and Sleeman's Draught for $2. Can't beat that.
Guess you'll be at the game tomorrow too?

over 1000 free prizes to give away tomorrow. Looks like over 6000 people expected tomorrow as well. $1 hotdogs, $2 beers

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:23 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Quick to dismiss other people's opinions when you only present opinions of your own, aren't ya? What the AHL used to have realignment-wise doesn't have an impact on what could be considered now, especially for a league that has seen shuffles almost continuously for the past couple offseasons. If anything, the points you brought up indicate that the league is more than willing to put a team or two or three in somewhat less advantageous geographic alignments if they think it's in the best interests of the rest of the league. Plus, the Checkers were a new team throughout all of this, so even though Norfolk was the closest team, it's not like they really had a real rivalry with anybody at the time of their realignments from the East to the Midwest and now to the South.

Maybe they just keep everything as is and just have Utica, which is looking more and more like a sure thing, will just be the odd man out in an off-the-wall alignment, but there's no way anybody knows one way or the other. Syracuse doesn't need to be convinced of anything if enough other owners vote to realign them to a different division, after all, and I doubt that the league would specifically base what they want to do alignment-wise primarily around Syracuse being in one division versus another.
and how would you know what the AHL DOES, at least the league figured out how to establish 3 5 team divisions in each conference, while the NHL Goes w/ the 4 conference alignment, the other major issue is how do we get each team to play each other at least once, if not a home and home.

you're the one who doesn't know the alignments, NFS, so how can you say what alignment is applicable, I gave you Houston, but until someone said something, you had Norfolk/Syracuse and Charlotte and no there hasn't been constant realignment over the last several years since Oklahoma City was activated.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:35 PM
molsonmuscle360

New downtown arena in Fort McMurray got approved this week. They seem pretty serious about it, they expropriated some pretty long standing businesses to get at the land they wanted.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Tommy Hawk

Why would Calgary even consider moving their team? The lose ZERO money being at Abbotsford. Why go somewhere where they may not be able to get as good a deal?

I could see the Canucks moving Peoria to Victoria. Close to home, former ECHL team was there. Rival in Abbotsford. Travel would be expensive but Abbotsford indicated they are pitching in 2-3 mil a year, nothing for the Canucks organization. They would draw very well. It seats 7k for hockey and I bet they would sell out every game.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Why would Calgary even consider moving their team? The lose ZERO money being at Abbotsford. Why go somewhere where they may not be able to get as good a deal?
It would take financial incentive for the Flames to move the Heat.

Aside from the Canucks paying them to leave the only incentives to move out of Abbotsford is on the ice. Moving further east will likely reduce injuries since there will be less 2 in 2 and 3 in 3 situations. It would also allow for alot more practice time since travel time would be alot less.

I would like to see the Heat move for those reasons.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:03 PM
go_leafs_go02

Heat were taking renewals at last night's game for season tickets for next year. Of course, that means nothing. The Thrashers were too.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:48 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
It would take financial incentive for the Flames to move the Heat.

Aside from the Canucks paying them to leave the only incentives to move out of Abbotsford is on the ice. Moving further east will likely reduce injuries since there will be less 2 in 2 and 3 in 3 situations. It would also allow for alot more practice time since travel time would be alot less.

I would like to see the Heat move for those reasons.
The Heat have sweet travel. If they are at home, only 2 games that week. If they travel, they travel for a week or two. There will be no more or less 2 in 2 or 3 in 3 if they move east. Travel is actually longer as they would spend much more time on buses than taking a plane to say Chicago and being within an hour of 3 teams with a base camp in either MKE, CHI, or RCK.

And the Canucks would have to pay a ton to move them so they wouldn't lose money wherever they went.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:29 PM
GJB

Canucks Assistant GM on radio Team 1040, saying he is in New York right now scouting out a place to potentially move Peoria.

https://twitter.com/TEAM1040/status/324610997929271297

What are the possible venues/cities in New York? Is Utica still a front runner in all of this?
Sounds like Calgary may stay in Abbotsford afterall...

GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:38 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

if it's in new york, it pretty much has to be utica i think.

glenns falls isnt vacant until the 2014-15 season when the flyers move them to allenstown.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:46 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
if it's in new york, it pretty much has to be utica i think.

glenns falls isnt vacant until the 2014-15 season when the flyers move them to allenstown.
Not entirely correct.

1) The Flyers don't own the Phantoms -- they sold them to the Brooks brothers (who also own ECHL Wheeling... for the time being). The Brooks' are the ones moving the Phantoms to Allentown, not the Flyers. Nitpicking, but a key point in other discussions.

2) The Phantoms' lease with Glens Falls is, I believe, actually up after THIS season -- the original plan was for the Allentown arena to be up and running for 2013-14, but delays led that to slipping. I believe that the latest is that there has been no extension signed for the Phantoms for the remaining year _yet_ -- but then again, that doesn't mean they won't get it. It just means that in theory, the Canucks _could_ outbid the Phantoms and get the lease in Glens Falls next season (especially if they make a multi-year commitment, which the Brooks are REALLY unlikely to do), making the Phantoms have to either go dormant for a season or find a sucker^H^H^H^H^H^Hcity desperate enough to give them a one-year lease for temporary digs (Atlantic City?) before moving again to Allentown.

Not saying it's likely, just pointing out that it's not a completely closed door.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:19 PM
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Canucks Assistant GM on radio Team 1040, saying he is in New York right now scouting out a place to potentially move Peoria.

https://twitter.com/TEAM1040/status/324610997929271297

What are the possible venues/cities in New York? Is Utica still a front runner in all of this?
Sounds like Calgary may stay in Abbotsford afterall...
I have a feeling that is the case. The Heat were promoting next season at their final games of the season last weekend. Thanking fans for the season and looking forward to their next one. Also had news about Season Ticket packages being made available as well.

If news gets out in Abbotsford that the City, the Canucks tried to get the Canucks farm team in it, and the Flames said no (so they could keep on taking $$$ from taxpayers) - I can't imagine the backlash to the franchise by fans, season ticket holders, the City. Certainly a disaster for the franchise by Canuck fans.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:08 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Russostrib 6:06pm via twitterfeed BLOG: Wild will officially seek approval to move AHL team to Iowa http://t.co/uXTQZCpseL

So, AHL Houston to Iowa. (Guess nothing better came up in NY state.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Quote:
Chad Graff @ChadGraff

Source: An official announcement that the AHL Houston Aeros are moving to Des Moines to become the Iowa Wild is expected tomorrow afternoon.
With the proposed full name being only 8 characters long, will this be the shortest name for a North American sports?

Sad day for Houston fans none of the less.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:57 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Sad day for Houston fans none of the less.
Whom should blame those who run the arena, folks who raised the lease $$s to the Aeros.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:11 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
The Wild were never looking in New York, at least from what I've seen.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:17 PM
TTOMO

Quote:

I could see the Canucks moving Peoria to Victoria. Close to home, former ECHL team was there. Rival in Abbotsford. Travel would be expensive but Abbotsford indicated they are pitching in 2-3 mil a year, nothing for the Canucks organization. They would draw very well. It seats 7k for hockey and I bet they would sell out every game.
They just got the WHL there two seasons ago.

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:19 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 652
I think he was thinking of Abbotsford. They're the ones looking at Utica.

The Wild were only really looking at moving the Aeros to Des Moines, Sioux Falls, and maybe Peoria, as far as I'm aware.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:21 PM
n00bxQb

Quote:

Not a chance of the AHL coming to Victoria anytime soon and not a chance they'd sell out every game. I'd be a season ticket holder for sure if it ever happened, but Victoria is not a big sports town and has an absolutely terrible track record when it comes to supporting hockey franchises. They can't give Royals tickets away for most games and, sadly, it's cheaper to buy front row Royals tickets than it is to buy general admission Cowichan Valley Capitals tickets (and Duncan isn't a big sports town, either, plus BCHL is garbage compared to WHL).

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:44 AM
go_leafs_go02

Sad day in sports when one of the top drawing AHL teams (Houston) loses the team.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:30 AM
silvercanuck

Iowa Wild??? The Wild nickname is bad enough. Why repeat that?

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:03 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I think he was thinking of Abbotsford. They're the ones looking at Utica.

The Wild were only really looking at moving the Aeros to Des Moines, Sioux Falls, and maybe Peoria, as far as I'm aware.
I don't think the Heat are looking at Utica, I think Utica is looking at the Heat and the Heat are listening because Vancouver could potentially pay them to leave.

Quote:
The Heat have sweet travel. If they are at home, only 2 games that week. If they travel, they travel for a week or two. There will be no more or less 2 in 2 or 3 in 3 if they move east. Travel is actually longer as they would spend much more time on buses than taking a plane to say Chicago and being within an hour of 3 teams with a base camp in either MKE, CHI, or RCK.

And the Canucks would have to pay a ton to move them so they wouldn't lose money wherever they went.
there is nothing sweet about the Heat's schedule. I posted this when rumors of Utica first popped up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I would hate to see Abbotsford lose the Heat, but you have to think logically here.

Since the Heat moved to Abbotsford we have led or at least been near the top in injuries, this is often attributed to travel and scheduling since Abbotsford rarely plays weekday games at home and are forced into back to back, if not back to back to back games on a regular basis. 62 of our 76 games are part of a back to back (or b2b2b) situation! That's over 80% of our schedule!

this map sums up the Heats problems perfectly.

They need to move out east, it will give them more time to practice, travel will not wear them down like it is currently and I hate to take this shot at my hometown but at least people will show up to the damn games if they move to Utica.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:48 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
The Canucks were the ones allegedly looking in NY, not the Wild -- so that piece is still on the board.

Houston -> Des Moines
Peoria -> ??? (possibly New York)

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:18 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

Acquilini acquiring Peoria, Houston to Des Moines now official.

Edit: http://www.aeros.com/news/news/?article_id=3762

Last edited by LadyStanley: 04-18-2013 at 05:08 PM.
S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:20 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

@Russostrib 13m AHL has approved #mnwild's request to relocate the Houston Aeros to Des Moines. Renamed Iowa Wild. Announcement soon per source