HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Edmonton-Ottawa

Old
04-17-2013, 09:51 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
Can I pose a 3 part question to Sens fans.

1- Is Greenig what I think he is, a big, gritty 2-way winger who never takes a shift of, throws his weight around, and chips in offence here and there?

2- What's Zach Smiths game like? Similar to Greenings?

3- What would it take to pull in the 2 of them, with Hemmer going to Ottawa still.
1 - Not really "gritty". He does throw his weight around, he does have the ability to be a very solid offensive contributor but whether he can do that consistently remains to be seen. He has been very hot and cold throughout his career but he's never really a 'bad' player.

2 - Smith is a lot grittier and a lot more valuable offensively. Pretty much better in every single way except he can go invisible for slightly longer, he can take dumb penalties (less and less so over time, though) and he makes a few more costly mistakes. Still easily a better player with more upside.

3 - I doubt Smith is available, especially if Greening gets dealt. I would not trade him for MPS. Nothing on the Oilers that particularily interests me, unless we make a great run this year, in which case I would take Horcoff + Hemsky for Smith and Greening if the Oilers retained at least 3mil in salary.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:53 PM
umwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
If Ottawa takes all of the salary, I don't think it's horrible for Edmonton, but I'd rather see Edmonton pack Hemsky with a 2nd for a 2nd pairing stay at home d-man or a third line center to replace Horcoff.
What about in a package to Winnipeg to relieve their logjam at D. One of Mark Stuart, Grant Clitsome, Zach Redmond.(Buff, Bogo, Toby not available btw)

Value aside, it seems like it has the core of a workable deal. Winnipeg is pretty attached to Stuart, but if it means a top 6 RW they should be interested.

What do EDM fans think would have to be added from either side?

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:03 PM
IranCondraAffair

No thanks from this Sens fan. I know Edmonton is overpaying, in fact it's not even an argument, this is a great deal assets-wise. Greening + 4th for Hemsky + 2nd is incredible value for Ottawa.

I just really don't want to trade Hemsky for Greening.

It's hard to articulate why, but the best reason I can find, is that I believe that Ottawa wins more games both long and short term with Greening on the roster than they do with Hemsky on the roster. I know Greening will never outscore Hemsky. I know Hemsky probably plays more minutes, has better defensive stats, etc.. It's not about leadership or effort either. Maybe there's some crazy statistical argument to explain my position, but I will probably never find it. I'm not claiming that Greening is essential to team chemistry either.

I just legitimately believe that Ottawa will win more games because of the totality of what Greening brings to the team versus what Hemsky will bring. Ottawa isn't in a position to lose games for the benefit of assets. If anything I think they should be trading a package of Greening + something else for someone who can win them more games.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:08 PM
HockeySens

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
No thanks from this Sens fan. I know Edmonton is overpaying, in fact it's not even an argument, this is a great deal assets-wise. Greening + 4th for Hemsky + 2nd is incredible value for Ottawa.

I just really don't want to trade Hemsky for Greening.

It's hard to articulate why, but the best reason I can find, is that I believe that Ottawa wins more games both long and short term with Greening on the roster than they do with Hemsky on the roster. I know Greening will never outscore Hemsky. I know Hemsky probably plays more minutes, has better defensive stats, etc.. It's not about leadership or effort either. Maybe there's some crazy statistical argument to explain my position, but I will probably never find it. I'm not claiming that Greening is essential to team chemistry either.

I just legitimately believe that Ottawa will win more games because of the totality of what Greening brings to the team versus what Hemsky will bring. Ottawa isn't in a position to lose games for the benefit of assets. If anything I think they should be trading a package of Greening + something else for someone who can win them more games.
I kind of agree, no doubt hemsky has more talent and skill than greening but edmonton fans know thats its not all about skill, you need depth players who have some size, physicality and works hard

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:13 PM
SensAreReligion
RCN

vCash: 883
good trade from both sides, well done sir

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Brewster

Very good trade from both sides. Ottawa gets a skilled winger to replace Alfie down the road and Edmonton gets the type of top 9 forward that they desperately need. Get 'er done Murray and MacTavish!

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Aceonfire*

2 sides agreeing on a deal and one of them is Edmonton.

Impossibru!

Aceonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:36 PM
SilverRed

Quote:
Ok, this is my first trade proposal so go easy on me.

To EDM- Colin Greening
2013 5th

To OTT- Ales Hemsky
2013 2nd (ANA)

Oilers need some grit, energy, and passion in ther bottom six and Greening fits the bill.

Sens get a guy who can play in the top six and CAN be the best player on the ice, he would compliment Milan Michalek very well, they also pick up a second round pick in a deep draft.

Please no homer war!

Thanks!
I would do it in a heart beat. Gonchar 5.5 million is off the books also this offseason and we will be getting a 2nd round pick

SilverRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
3 - I doubt Smith is available, especially if Greening gets dealt. I would not trade him for MPS. Nothing on the Oilers that particularily interests me, unless we make a great run this year, in which case I would take Horcoff + Hemsky for Smith and Greening if the Oilers retained at least 3mil in salary.
I would definitely do it from an Oilers standpoint. Eat 1.5 mil of each deal, plus the Horcoff contract was front loaded, so he only makes 4 and 3 mil the next 2 years (meaning 2.5 and 1.5 - good value for a non ceiling team). That said, the Oil brass really like Horc and all the things he brings off the ice, and probably won't move him.

As for the Hemmer - Greening trade, I'm all for it. If we could then land Stalberg in UFA, I'd be happy with those 2 flanking Horcoff on the 3rd line.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:42 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
I think Ottawa would take this and run

OmniSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:49 AM
MetaOil1993

I think straight up would be fair IMO but I would add a bit or eat some salary if need be. Next year Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky would be a nice line for the Sens and Greening would play with Gagner (If hes here) and Yakupov on the second line and be that big body we need in our top six. Seems like a solid basis for a trade.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:38 AM
Sens Rule

Greening, Gryba (tough stay at home D-Man, young and cheap playing 20 mins a night lately with Sens injuries, excellent PKer)

For Hemsky, 2nd round 2013, 4th round 2013

Ottawa clears up roster space for all the prospects coming up, gets more skill with Hemsky without being locked in long term. Gets picks to put in possible trade for another top end player or use for drafting.

Edmonton adds much needed depth players that are tough and can play defence and PK. Clears up significant cap space next season.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 08:05 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
First, I want to say props to all OTT and EDM fans in this thread. Never thought I'd see a peaceful trade thread featuring these two teams, as they always degrade (as most do) into a pissing match. So good on all of us. (Sens fan here, by the way)

Quote:
Ok, this is my first trade proposal so go easy on me.

To EDM- Colin Greening
2013 5th

To OTT- Ales Hemsky
2013 2nd (ANA)

Oilers need some grit, energy, and passion in ther bottom six and Greening fits the bill.

Sens get a guy who can play in the top six and CAN be the best player on the ice, he would compliment Milan Michalek very well, they also pick up a second round pick in a deep draft.

Please no homer war!

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Greening + 4th for Hemsky if we can't snag a top player on FA.
I like both of these for the Sens (ideally with Hemsky extended on a decent deal). Slight preference to the OP's proposal, but both are good value, and address team needs for both teams. Props to you both.

My only concern is it takes a spot away from an up and coming top 6 forward prospect, like Stone, Noesen, Puempel, etc. But we could go with 3 scoring lines, and have the younguns playing against lower level competition to ease them in, or use them in a package with other assets to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Ottawa can afford to eat the whole contract.
True, but the question is would Melnyk want to? We have the cap space, so its a question if he wants to pay the $$$ .

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 08:08 AM
MoreGore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravi83Oil View Post
Hemsky is a quiet team respecting type of guy. Never had locker room issues with him ever.
More of a work ethic and focus issue was what concerned me.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:08 AM
TSA0402

Dont love it but its a decent deal for both sides(Hemsky for Greening).

Hemsky is better offensively but in reality, trade looks like younger 35 pt 550k guy for older 45 point 5 mil guy.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:16 AM
thinlizzy

Hemsky has one goal in 19 games and is hurt as per usual. Frail , frail , fail. If the Oilers can trade Hemsky do it. Both shoulders have been fixed and the one he came back too early and had to have it fixed again. 5 million is way too much. He needs an incentive contract.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:34 AM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
If Ottawa takes all of the salary, I don't think it's horrible for Edmonton, but I'd rather see Edmonton pack Hemsky with a 2nd for a 2nd pairing stay at home d-man or a third line center to replace Horcoff.
I agree here but that dman has to be able to move the puck, he can't be like Smid and N.Schultz.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Wondercarrot
Casual Thor

im always very tempted by hemsky.....
I'd do the greening +4th or whatever for hemsky and a 2nd.

Id really like to get a decent pick back with hemsky - he gets hurt so much that it'd be awful to lose greening for a few games of hemsky and nothing else if he doesnt play.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
I'd do hemsky for greening.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote