HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Edmonton-Ottawa

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-17-2013, 09:51 PM
  #26
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?
 
wubwubwubwub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
Can I pose a 3 part question to Sens fans.

1- Is Greenig what I think he is, a big, gritty 2-way winger who never takes a shift of, throws his weight around, and chips in offence here and there?

2- What's Zach Smiths game like? Similar to Greenings?

3- What would it take to pull in the 2 of them, with Hemmer going to Ottawa still.
1 - Not really "gritty". He does throw his weight around, he does have the ability to be a very solid offensive contributor but whether he can do that consistently remains to be seen. He has been very hot and cold throughout his career but he's never really a 'bad' player.

2 - Smith is a lot grittier and a lot more valuable offensively. Pretty much better in every single way except he can go invisible for slightly longer, he can take dumb penalties (less and less so over time, though) and he makes a few more costly mistakes. Still easily a better player with more upside.

3 - I doubt Smith is available, especially if Greening gets dealt. I would not trade him for MPS. Nothing on the Oilers that particularily interests me, unless we make a great run this year, in which case I would take Horcoff + Hemsky for Smith and Greening if the Oilers retained at least 3mil in salary.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:53 PM
  #27
umwoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
If Ottawa takes all of the salary, I don't think it's horrible for Edmonton, but I'd rather see Edmonton pack Hemsky with a 2nd for a 2nd pairing stay at home d-man or a third line center to replace Horcoff.
What about in a package to Winnipeg to relieve their logjam at D. One of Mark Stuart, Grant Clitsome, Zach Redmond.(Buff, Bogo, Toby not available btw)

Value aside, it seems like it has the core of a workable deal. Winnipeg is pretty attached to Stuart, but if it means a top 6 RW they should be interested.

What do EDM fans think would have to be added from either side?

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:03 PM
  #28
IranCondraAffair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,282
vCash: 500
No thanks from this Sens fan. I know Edmonton is overpaying, in fact it's not even an argument, this is a great deal assets-wise. Greening + 4th for Hemsky + 2nd is incredible value for Ottawa.

I just really don't want to trade Hemsky for Greening.

It's hard to articulate why, but the best reason I can find, is that I believe that Ottawa wins more games both long and short term with Greening on the roster than they do with Hemsky on the roster. I know Greening will never outscore Hemsky. I know Hemsky probably plays more minutes, has better defensive stats, etc.. It's not about leadership or effort either. Maybe there's some crazy statistical argument to explain my position, but I will probably never find it. I'm not claiming that Greening is essential to team chemistry either.

I just legitimately believe that Ottawa will win more games because of the totality of what Greening brings to the team versus what Hemsky will bring. Ottawa isn't in a position to lose games for the benefit of assets. If anything I think they should be trading a package of Greening + something else for someone who can win them more games.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:08 PM
  #29
HockeySens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
No thanks from this Sens fan. I know Edmonton is overpaying, in fact it's not even an argument, this is a great deal assets-wise. Greening + 4th for Hemsky + 2nd is incredible value for Ottawa.

I just really don't want to trade Hemsky for Greening.

It's hard to articulate why, but the best reason I can find, is that I believe that Ottawa wins more games both long and short term with Greening on the roster than they do with Hemsky on the roster. I know Greening will never outscore Hemsky. I know Hemsky probably plays more minutes, has better defensive stats, etc.. It's not about leadership or effort either. Maybe there's some crazy statistical argument to explain my position, but I will probably never find it. I'm not claiming that Greening is essential to team chemistry either.

I just legitimately believe that Ottawa will win more games because of the totality of what Greening brings to the team versus what Hemsky will bring. Ottawa isn't in a position to lose games for the benefit of assets. If anything I think they should be trading a package of Greening + something else for someone who can win them more games.
I kind of agree, no doubt hemsky has more talent and skill than greening but edmonton fans know thats its not all about skill, you need depth players who have some size, physicality and works hard

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:13 PM
  #30
SensAreReligion
RCN
 
SensAreReligion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,034
vCash: 883
good trade from both sides, well done sir

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:17 PM
  #31
Brewster
Registered User
 
Brewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
Very good trade from both sides. Ottawa gets a skilled winger to replace Alfie down the road and Edmonton gets the type of top 9 forward that they desperately need. Get 'er done Murray and MacTavish!

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:21 PM
  #32
Aceonfire*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,288
vCash: 500
2 sides agreeing on a deal and one of them is Edmonton.

Impossibru!

Aceonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:36 PM
  #33
SilverRed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
Ok, this is my first trade proposal so go easy on me.

To EDM- Colin Greening
2013 5th

To OTT- Ales Hemsky
2013 2nd (ANA)

Oilers need some grit, energy, and passion in ther bottom six and Greening fits the bill.

Sens get a guy who can play in the top six and CAN be the best player on the ice, he would compliment Milan Michalek very well, they also pick up a second round pick in a deep draft.


Please no homer war!

Thanks!
I would do it in a heart beat. Gonchar 5.5 million is off the books also this offseason and we will be getting a 2nd round pick

SilverRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:59 PM
  #34
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
3 - I doubt Smith is available, especially if Greening gets dealt. I would not trade him for MPS. Nothing on the Oilers that particularily interests me, unless we make a great run this year, in which case I would take Horcoff + Hemsky for Smith and Greening if the Oilers retained at least 3mil in salary.
I would definitely do it from an Oilers standpoint. Eat 1.5 mil of each deal, plus the Horcoff contract was front loaded, so he only makes 4 and 3 mil the next 2 years (meaning 2.5 and 1.5 - good value for a non ceiling team). That said, the Oil brass really like Horc and all the things he brings off the ice, and probably won't move him.

As for the Hemmer - Greening trade, I'm all for it. If we could then land Stalberg in UFA, I'd be happy with those 2 flanking Horcoff on the 3rd line.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:42 AM
  #35
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,006
vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
I think Ottawa would take this and run

OmniSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:49 AM
  #36
MetaOil1993
Registered User
 
MetaOil1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 500
I think straight up would be fair IMO but I would add a bit or eat some salary if need be. Next year Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky would be a nice line for the Sens and Greening would play with Gagner (If hes here) and Yakupov on the second line and be that big body we need in our top six. Seems like a solid basis for a trade.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:38 AM
  #37
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,953
vCash: 500
Greening, Gryba (tough stay at home D-Man, young and cheap playing 20 mins a night lately with Sens injuries, excellent PKer)

For Hemsky, 2nd round 2013, 4th round 2013

Ottawa clears up roster space for all the prospects coming up, gets more skill with Hemsky without being locked in long term. Gets picks to put in possible trade for another top end player or use for drafting.

Edmonton adds much needed depth players that are tough and can play defence and PK. Clears up significant cap space next season.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 08:05 AM
  #38
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666
 
internetdotcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Capital O
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,612
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
First, I want to say props to all OTT and EDM fans in this thread. Never thought I'd see a peaceful trade thread featuring these two teams, as they always degrade (as most do) into a pissing match. So good on all of us. (Sens fan here, by the way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
Ok, this is my first trade proposal so go easy on me.

To EDM- Colin Greening
2013 5th

To OTT- Ales Hemsky
2013 2nd (ANA)

Oilers need some grit, energy, and passion in ther bottom six and Greening fits the bill.

Sens get a guy who can play in the top six and CAN be the best player on the ice, he would compliment Milan Michalek very well, they also pick up a second round pick in a deep draft.


Please no homer war!

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Greening + 4th for Hemsky if we can't snag a top player on FA.
I like both of these for the Sens (ideally with Hemsky extended on a decent deal). Slight preference to the OP's proposal, but both are good value, and address team needs for both teams. Props to you both.

My only concern is it takes a spot away from an up and coming top 6 forward prospect, like Stone, Noesen, Puempel, etc. But we could go with 3 scoring lines, and have the younguns playing against lower level competition to ease them in, or use them in a package with other assets to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Ottawa can afford to eat the whole contract.
True, but the question is would Melnyk want to? We have the cap space, so its a question if he wants to pay the $$$ .

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 08:08 AM
  #39
MoreGore
Registered User
 
MoreGore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravi83Oil View Post
Hemsky is a quiet team respecting type of guy. Never had locker room issues with him ever.
More of a work ethic and focus issue was what concerned me.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:08 AM
  #40
TSA0402
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,903
vCash: 500
Dont love it but its a decent deal for both sides(Hemsky for Greening).

Hemsky is better offensively but in reality, trade looks like younger 35 pt 550k guy for older 45 point 5 mil guy.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:16 AM
  #41
thinlizzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Hemsky has one goal in 19 games and is hurt as per usual. Frail , frail , fail. If the Oilers can trade Hemsky do it. Both shoulders have been fixed and the one he came back too early and had to have it fixed again. 5 million is way too much. He needs an incentive contract.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:34 AM
  #42
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
If Ottawa takes all of the salary, I don't think it's horrible for Edmonton, but I'd rather see Edmonton pack Hemsky with a 2nd for a 2nd pairing stay at home d-man or a third line center to replace Horcoff.
I agree here but that dman has to be able to move the puck, he can't be like Smid and N.Schultz.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:50 AM
  #43
Wondercarrot
Casual Thor
 
Wondercarrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,467
vCash: 500
im always very tempted by hemsky.....
I'd do the greening +4th or whatever for hemsky and a 2nd.

Id really like to get a decent pick back with hemsky - he gets hurt so much that it'd be awful to lose greening for a few games of hemsky and nothing else if he doesnt play.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:02 AM
  #44
Altimus
Probably drunk
 
Altimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kanata
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
I'd do hemsky for greening.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.