HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Marc Bergevin made his first mistake as a Habs GM?

Old
04-18-2013, 12:07 AM
CrAzYNiNe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Wrong.

The idea is to win and avoid collapses.

MB would be proven right if this team would have rolled into the playoffs hot and made it to the Stanley Cup finals.

You play to win. Not to lose and be vindicated for losing.
So your supposition for me being wrong is because we need to win? I'm sorry but I was worried this team was overachieving, not saying they aren't any good, but regular season success is by no sketch a cup run.

If you really think this team would be better with Clowe and Murray in this lineup, minus Emelin, well kudos to you. I see this team getting better in the future and jeopardizing that because you feel compelled that a team that is one year removed from the eastern conference basement, is 2 players away from the Stanley Cup.

Yell it from the rooftops! "CARPE DIEM"

Does that make you feel better now? How about one of these? "Our real problem, then, is not our strength today; it is rather the vital necessity of action today to ensure our strength tomorrow." Dwight D. Eisenhower

I am glad you truly believe that acquiring 2 players at the deadline would of helped this team be Stanley Cup champions. After all, your supposition only holds weight if the habs would of won the cup.

I am disapointed by these last 3 games. Whatever the reason may be, Price, bad goaltending, shotty defense, no depth at defense, lines not finding chemistry... However I am glad that MB did not make trades as they would of been futile with the team we are watching on the ice today.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:10 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Don't buy when your team isn't close to a cup. It's plain as day logic a child could follow.
I think that your logic is flawed. There have been many years where the hands down favorite team to win the Cup exits before they get a chance to fulfill the expectations.

No one knows when the perfect time to make a run is. You take a chance and go for it.

We were the 2nd place team in the East, 1st in the NE and many people, Bergevin included, decided that it was not the perfect time.

Pittsburgh went all in. They are taking a chance. Will they win it all? Who knows? Will Boston with their move for Jagr? No one knows. But they are making an effort. One may be vindicated and win it all. Both may lose.

I hate to put up another cliche but it is reality. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Since Bergevin felt that we did not have what it took to win a Cup, his inaction to improve this team will validate the result.

Maybe someone needs to tell Prust that and let him ease up for the rest of the season because he still thinks that we have a chance. Same for Gallagher, Galchenyuk and a few others who are still giving it their all. And maybe Emelin should have eased up as well and played to the expectations of a lot of fans and the GM.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:13 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I think that your logic is flawed. There have been many years where the hands down favorite team to win the Cup exits before they get a chance to fulfill the expectations.

No one knows when the perfect time to make a run is. You take a chance and go for it.

We were the 2nd place team in the East, 1st in the NE and many people, Bergevin included, decided that it was not the perfect time.

Pittsburgh went all in. They are taking a chance. Will they win it all? Who knows? Will Boston with their move for Jagr? No one knows. But they are making an effort. One may be vindicated and win it all. Both may lose.

I hate to put up another cliche but it is reality. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Since Bergevin felt that we did not have what it took to win a Cup, his inaction to improve this team will validate the result.

Maybe someone needs to tell Prust that and let him ease up for the rest of the season because he still thinks that we have a chance. Same for Gallagher, Galchenyuk and a few others who are still giving it their all. And maybe Emelin should have eased up as well and played to the expectations of a lot of fans and the GM.
If we had Malkin/Crosby type of forwards, we'd probably go all in pretty much every other season. We dont.

Worst example you could take.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:15 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
A shame really.
Bergevin started by making bold moves... the Therrien hiring, the Prust signing, sending Gomez home, keeping Gally and Chuckie, moving Cole for Ryder. Every bold move works out great, team is soaring.

Then Bergevin decides to start playing it safe, signs DD to an inexplicable contract (like he was going to lose DD if he waited till year end??), signs Bouillion to an extension (again why mid-season?) and at the trade deadline decides not to move any of his three 2nd round or two 3rd round picks (picks that will not help the habs team for at least three years).

Looks like the 'playing it safe' could easily overshadow all the good moves he has made this season.
Playing it safe is the best move he could of made! Please tell me you do nothing related to business? You clearly have no idea how to manage assets, because in the end all players and all picks, everything is an asset. The players available on the market were not worth it to the Montreal Canadiens to make a trade. I just don't understand how anyone can think that 2 players that a playoff team got rid of would be the difference in Montreal.

And if you didnt want Murray and Clowe, let's hear it: what was your choice?

Old
04-18-2013, 06:44 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Don't buy when your team isn't close to a cup. It's plain as day logic a child could follow.
We were 3rd in the league. If that's not close to a cup, then I don't know what is.

Last edited by hockeyfan2k11: 04-18-2013 at 07:01 AM.
hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

The biggest mistake MB has made so far is saying their only goal this year is the playoffs. Since they clinched a spot the intensity seems to have dropped off dramatically.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:51 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Playing it safe is the best move he could of made! Please tell me you do nothing related to business? You clearly have no idea how to manage assets, because in the end all players and all picks, everything is an asset. The players available on the market were not worth it to the Montreal Canadiens to make a trade. I just don't understand how anyone can think that 2 players that a playoff team got rid of would be the difference in Montreal.

And if you didnt want Murray and Clowe, let's hear it: what was your choice?
No matter if it's Gainey or Gauthier there will be fans protecting their moves and non-moves.

Obyrne could have been had....Torres. You think Drewiskie is the best possible move Bergy could have made? I'd rather not even give up the 5th and play Weber, Kaberle or Tinordi.

Everything is an asset, yes. But a good businessman turns those assets into bigger assets. Is DD's contract really an asset right now? Hanging onto draftpicks is all fine and dandy, but eventually you have to win and there's still no guarantee that draft picks guarantee success. We have a wealth of draftpicks. We could have used a couple of them to get a player that could help us now and in the long run.

We'll see what happens in the offseason.

Old
04-18-2013, 06:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
No matter if it's Gainey or Gauthier there will be fans protecting their moves and non-moves.

Obyrne could have been had....Torres. You think Drewiskie is the best possible move Bergy could have made? I'd rather not even give up the 5th and play Weber, Kaberle or Tinordi.

Everything is an asset, yes. But a good businessman turns those assets into bigger assets. Is DD's contract really an asset right now? Hanging onto draftpicks is all fine and dandy, but eventually you have to win and there's still no guarantee that draft picks guarantee success. We have a wealth of draftpicks. We could have used a couple of them to get a player that could help us now and in the long run.

Unless you want to talk Luongo, nobody was available that would prevent the current slide. When your goalie is struggling, the rest of the team feels it and they stop playing their game.

Old
04-18-2013, 07:02 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Unless you want to talk Luongo, nobody was available that would prevent the current slide. When your goalie is struggling, the rest of the team feels it and they stop playing their game.
A goalie can struggle and let in 4 goals....not 7. Many of those goals can be attrbuted to poor defense.

Drewiskie coulnd't start in LA but has been in the top 4 at points. LOL.

Old
04-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
So you would have traded our first round pick and all 3 of our 2nd round picks to get Clowe and Murray?

Man that really would leave the cupboards bare for 2 rentals.
Pittsburgh and New York didn't trade a 1st to acquire those guys and Clowe is a UFA and a player the Habs would have probably kept going forward. Anyways we can debate all we want a bit more depth and especially size wouldn't have hurt this team going forward. Let's see what Bergevin has planned for the draft

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:44 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:

How is buying a rental turning and asset into a bigger asset? I do not believe this team is a quick fix away from being true contenders. Clowe, Murray, Torres, O'byrne are not bigger assets. Too many of you are fooled by the standings, we are not a top 4 team, even if we sat there in the standings all year.

You are 100% right that a draft pick does not guarantee success, but not drafting players, especially when you have 6 picks in 3 rounds, is a failure. I understand a lot of you don't want to see beyond May, but this team has an oppurtunity to be a dominant team in the future with our core, they need to proper players around them. These players you mentioned are NOT the answer.

Quote:
A goalie can struggle and let in 4 goals....not 7. Many of those goals can be attrbuted to poor defense.

That is exactly what he said. Our goalies are not playing their best and in return the D is trying to do too much and it has them all out of position.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:48 AM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
The positive is that if we lose the top spot in our division, we're gonna face Toronto, we're be blown out and dominated physically and it will wake Bergevin up to add grit this summer.
What if we end up beating Toronto? Does that mean that Bergevin will let go of more grit for finesse?

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

He has yet to play 20 minutes in any games, last night was his highest total at 19:50, mostly because Subban was in the box half the 3rd period and played under 17 minutes.

The defense has not been great, but goals against is a team number not just defensemen or goalies. It hurts when goalies give up weak ones though. Last night the Pittsburgh forwards outworked ours.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:54 AM
otto bond

A guy like Emelin is missed that's for sure.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:26 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He has yet to play 20 minutes in any games, last night was his highest total at 19:50, mostly because Subban was in the box half the 3rd period and played under 17 minutes.

The defense has not been great, but goals against is a team number not just defensemen or goalies. It hurts when goalies give up weak ones though. Last night the Pittsburgh forwards outworked ours.
He should be a 7th dman. 19mins is way too much.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:26 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
A guy like Emelin is missed that's for sure.
He is missed on poor defensive teams....not good ones.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I blame Bergevin for our players getting injured. He should have predicted that would happen.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He should be a 7th dman. 19mins is way too much.
As I said, it was ONE game where Subban got like 17 minutes in penalities. Since coming in he's been getting #6 minutes. with Diaz coming back him and Weber will battle for #6 spot.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:17 PM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I blame Bergevin for our players getting injured. He should have predicted that would happen.
Don't be sarcastic, clearly Bergevin should've had the foresight to predict that injuries would happen. Only the LA Kings went their entire playoffs without defensive injuries but most other teams shore up defensive depth, especially when they're #2nd in the conference and their life-long rivals are gearing up and picking up players.

His "get-out-of-jail free" card has been blown away by this point. Bergevin failed at the awfully timed, awfully concocted DD extension, at the awfully timed Bouillon extension and at the trade deadline where he traded for the equally awful Davis Drewiskie. And if you don't think Drewiskie is awful, just watch him play.

The Ryder trade was good, but if he's not re-signed we'll just have to overpay and overterm for another B-minus winger. Not to mention Moen looks like a dud, and has 3 years left. We can't just not criticise Bergevin and end up with another do-no-wrong Gainey on our hands. Amp up the heat, he deserves it.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:23 PM
WakeUpNHL

Tradeline acquisitions for Pens in last nites game:

Morrow 2G 1A
Ignla 1G 1A
Murray 1G

Tradeline acquisitions for Habs in last nites game:
Drewiski 0

Bergevin dropped the ball.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:28 PM
MXD

Quote:
Tradeline acquisitions for Pens in last nites game:

Morrow 2G 1A
Ignla 1G 1A
Murray 1G

Tradeline acquisitions for Habs in last nites game:
Drewiski 0

Bergevin dropped the ball.
Look at the cost.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:35 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

MB's PRO's :
- Long-term vision
- Prust
- Didn't get blinded by a 30 game sample to overpay for aged vets

CON's:
- Therrien (IMO not much choice at the time, so he might of been the "best" available (given the language parameter)
- Extending DD (probably cheaper at year end, and could of been handed a 1y deal & Cube (even though i bet he got paid because he's probably doing alot for the organization and the team, off the ice)
- Low-balling PK.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:40 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Look at the cost.
Habs had 5 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Could have moved a couple of those picks to get some depth and leadership is all i'm saying.

None of those picks will be playing for the Habs for the next three years, in the mean time our young core of MaxPac, Subban, Gally, Chuckie and Price are getting run over and b*tch slapped at every opportunity.

Bergevin f**ked up... no two ways about it.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:48 PM
MXD

Quote:
Habs had 5 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Could have moved a couple of those picks to get some depth and leadership is all i'm saying.

None of those picks will be playing for the Habs for the next three years, in the mean time our young core of MaxPac, Subban, Gally, Chuckie and Price are getting run over and b*tch slapped at every opportunity.

Bergevin f**ked up... no two ways about it.
Bergevin only f**ked up according to people who wanted to see him ****** up to begin with.

Besides, he doesn't mean that he WON'T move those picks to get... eh, whatever, get something that might be helpful. Like a better 1st rounder.

Let's just say that I'd rather like Bergevin to move a 2nd to get Darnell Nurse, than move a 2nd to get Douglas Murray.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:01 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Bergevin only f**ked up according to people who wanted to see him ****** up to begin with.

Besides, he doesn't mean that he WON'T move those picks to get... eh, whatever, get something that might be helpful. Like a better 1st rounder.

Let's just say that I'd rather like Bergevin to move a 2nd to get Darnell Nurse, than move a 2nd to get Douglas Murray.
Dream on... Nurse looks to go top 5 in the draft. None of the bottom ten teams are moving their picks anywhere unless there is an overpayment.