HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Niedermayer was almost a Philadelphia Flyer

Old
04-17-2013, 04:44 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Scott Niedermayer was almost a Philadelphia Flyer

http://thehockeywriters.com/scott-ni...hat-never-was/

I don't want anyone to take this out of context. I am not here to chastise Bobby Clarke at all.

Furthermore, I didn't write this to tarnish David Strehle or Bill Meltzer. I respect both writers immensely. Both are fantastic guys. I was just speaking with Strehle yesterday in the pressbox and this topic came up. I never heard the rumor before, but it was great to talk to Dave about and really got me thinking on what could have been.

What are your thoughts? Always like to hear other opinions.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Jack de la Hoya

"Where's the beef?"

That's a very, very thinly sourced article.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
I seriously, seriously doubt it. The Devils offered Niedermayer maximum money against the cap for a long duration in 2005. I doubt very much he'd have switched allegiances when money wasn't an issue, and either way he was always going to play with his brother.

Now, he's always been so waffley on the whole contract thing that I could see Philadelphia thinking he was all set to come to Philly, though.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:51 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
I seriously, seriously doubt it. The Devils offered Niedermayer maximum money against the cap for a long duration in 2005. I doubt very much he'd have switched allegiances when money wasn't an issue, and either way he was always going to play with his brother.

Now, he's always been so waffley on the whole contract thing that I could see Philadelphia thinking he was all set to come to Philly, though.
Didn't he go to arbitration? I remember Lamouriello didn't think he deserved that much money, but Niedermayer ended up winning a 1-year deal for $7 million. Unfortunately that happened to be the year of the lockout so he never saw any of that money.

I could be wrong though.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:52 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:

The OP article touches on this seemingly in passing, but the bold is correct.

Scott always wanted to play with Rob; the Flyers had no chance of bringing Niedermayer to the team in 2005/06.

04-17-2013, 04:53 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
"Where's the beef?"

That's a very, very thinly sourced article.
It was simply brought up in conversation. I value Strehle's and Meltzer's opinions since they definitely know what they're talking about. I don't necessarily claim that it was fact.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnTHW View Post
Didn't he go to arbitration? I remember Lamouriello didn't think he deserved that much money, but Niedermayer ended up winning a 1-year deal for $7 million. Unfortunately that happened to be the year of the lockout so he never saw any of that money.

I could be wrong though.
Yeah. Neidermayer and the Devils had always had a bit of a grating relationship on contracts. He'd held out in 2001 with Arnott, and then went to arbitration in 2004. But all this was while he was an RFA. Lou was always tough on RFA contracts.

Coming out of the lockout, Lou offered him maximum money against the cap for something like seven years. Which, at the time, was $7.8M/year.

Again, though, the only team Niedermayer was going to play for in 2005 was Anaheim.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:54 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The OP article touches on this seemingly in passing, but the bold is correct.

Scott always wanted to play with Rob; the Flyers had no chance of bringing Niedermayer to the team in 2005/06.
Even more speculation: If Scott signed here for a few years, you think Rob would've came over to Philly?

Old
04-17-2013, 04:55 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Yeah. Neidermayer and the Devils had always had a bit of a grating relationship on contracts. He'd held out in 2001 with Arnott, and then went to arbitration in 2004. But coming out of the lockout, Lou offered him maximum money against the cap for something like seven years.
Understood. Was unsure about the exact details since I knew Scott and Lou had their falling out over contract disputes over the years.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:58 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Regardless of whether this speculation had "legs," I was pretty livid at the time at Clarke for going after "legless" Hatcher and Rathje with the way the league was moving to open up the game. In fact, he got them, I believe, the season right after they made the rule changes to elminate the trap. Hatcher in his first year definitely didn't adjust quickly. The following season he did better and had a good playoff but then his knees failed him. Rathje of course became a quick medical basket case and cap anchor....

All in all, I got to experience 2/3 of Clarke's GM career (stints 1 and 2) and I wasn't the biggest fan for various reasons including not addressing the goaltending properly...something that seems to continue to haunt us. I'm hoping it has run its course with Bryz and that Mason and hopefully Stolarz make it less volatile but remains to be seen. Bob also better not be a Vezina nominee in consecutive years or I may just have to smash some things...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnTHW View Post
Even more speculation: If Scott signed here for a few years, you think Rob would've came over to Philly?
Rob had signed an extension with Anaheim in 2004, he wasn't going anywhere.

Edit: Whoops, I misremembered this. Rob signed a contract in tandem with his brother; although Anaheim had extended him in 2004, that contract got wiped with the lockout. I think Rob was RFA though.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:00 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Rob had signed an extension with Anaheim in 2004, he wasn't going anywhere.
Four years, too, I think. Scott/Rob were never coming to Philly.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:20 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Regardless of whether this speculation had "legs," I was pretty livid at the time at Clarke for going after "legless" Hatcher and Rathje with the way the league was moving to open up the game. In fact, he got them, I believe, the season right after they made the rule changes to elminate the trap. Hatcher in his first year definitely didn't adjust quickly. The following season he did better and had a good playoff but then his knees failed him. Rathje of course became a quick medical basket case and cap anchor....

All in all, I got to experience 2/3 of Clarke's GM career (stints 1 and 2) and I wasn't the biggest fan for various reasons including not addressing the goaltending properly...something that seems to continue to haunt us. I'm hoping it has run its course with Bryz and that Mason and hopefully Stolarz make it less volatile but remains to be seen. Bob also better not be a Vezina nominee in consecutive years or I may just have to smash some things...
Something tells me you weren't the only Flyers fan.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
"Where's the beef?"

You summoned??

04-18-2013, 06:58 AM
Bill_Meltzer

To be precise about what I said to Dave, around that time, there were rumors the Flyers were among the teams most serious about going after S. Niedermayer.

However, I don't know that they were ever close to the frontrunners, as it was said (and, of course, came to fruition) that he wanted to join his brother in Anaheim. But what is also true is that the Flyers switched gears and signed Hatcher and Rathje.

Bill_Meltzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:08 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Clarke was gambling the league would go back to smashmouth clutch and grab hockey quickly. It backfired rather badly.
I suppose once again we can chalk that up to hindsight like with any Flyers bad/questionable decision.
they are either great moves or its a bad move in hindsight.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:14 PM
BernieParent

Scott who?

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:46 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
To be precise about what I said to Dave, around that time, there were rumors the Flyers were among the teams most serious about going after S. Niedermayer.

However, I don't know that they were ever close to the frontrunners, as it was said (and, of course, came to fruition) that he wanted to join his brother in Anaheim. But what is also true is that the Flyers switched gears and signed Hatcher and Rathje.
Thanks Bill. Certainly didn't want to seem like I took it out of context. Will make the correct adjustments. My apologies.

EDIT: Fixed

Last edited by ShawnTHW: 04-18-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old
04-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Clyde Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Clarke was gambling the league would go back to smashmouth clutch and grab hockey quickly. It backfired rather badly.
I suppose once again we can chalk that up to hindsight like with any Flyers bad/questionable decision.
they are either great moves or its a bad move in hindsight.
I remember having the Hockey News season preview issue after the lockout and Forsberg is on the cover and they predicted the Flyers to win the Cup. I don't think Clarke was the only one who thought the league was talking out of their ass about cracking down on obstruction.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote