HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Best and worst Beers 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Kekumba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
I'm in the Unibroue is overrated camp as well. Hell I don't even really like anything from Ambroise, minus the pale ale which is more tempting now that it's in cans. Trou du Diable is the most intriguing Quebec brewery for me. The only issue is I have no idea how to get ahold of their stuff. Guess I have to find myself some Quebec trade partners (which sounds dumb since I have access to everything else in Quebec).

Old
04-13-2013, 10:33 AM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Just received this today. Hell yeah.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:09 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Lucky *******

Old
04-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Can anyone recommend a site/service where you can order beer? I'm often frustrated by what's available here in Canada.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
It's not possible in Canada...at least that I know of. I don't even think it's legal in some US states.

Go to breweries or road trip to Buffalo are the only real options (or trade). You got instant access to Bellwoods, Great Lakes, Amsterdam, Black Oak, etc. If I had that I'd go to the LCBO like once every six months.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:47 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
It's not possible in Canada...at least that I know of. I don't even think it's legal in some US states.

Go to breweries or road trip to Buffalo are the only real options (or trade). You got instant access to Bellwoods, Great Lakes, Amsterdam, Black Oak, etc. If I had that I'd go to the LCBO like once every six months.
You missed Camerons and Nickel Brook.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Kekumba

I missed 5-6 worth going to, but you get the idea. Lots of really good stuff being brewed in Toronto right now.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:50 PM
Cheli

I think I've tried half a dozen Nickel Brook beers and have yet to find one that I like even a bit.

Recently I had Bridge Burner which was surprisingly tasty, Tyskie which was alright, and samplers of more I can't remember. Innis and Gunn (I forget which one) on tap. Found tallboys of Pump House Blueberry Ale at the LCBO (haven't had it in a few years) and was all over that

Had a Mill St Vanilla Porter on tap semi-recently and it was decent, about how I remembered it. Had several pints of Sparkhouse Red Ale (or something like that) when it was on tap.

Kind of craving a Spearhead recently because I was reminded of it.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
Had a Mill St Vanilla Porter on tap semi-recently and it was decent, about how I remembered it.
I'd really recommend giving Funnel Blower a try. I grabbed some at the lcbo on a whim and was very pleasantly surprised.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:54 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

I was a bit worried about beer quality and selection coming back to the States from Belgium, but I have to say, I have been more than pleasantly surprised at the microbrew explosion and the wide selection available that has resulted therefrom.

Tried a bunch of new beers when visiting my parents (Old Rasputin, some Sam Adams Imperial Series,Black Toad, and some others) and have continued to just try new ones now. Currently have in my fridge: Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale, Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA, Rogue Dead Guy Ale (one I've had a few times before, but it's good), and Back Forty Kudzu Porter (picked up because it's kind of local).

I'm definitely loving the American microbrew popularity.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:29 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post

Canadians in the area should go to Rochester and hit up Beers of the World. Pretty incredible beer store. I swear every time I go there on a Saturday there's people from Canada there.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:56 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
I was a bit worried about beer quality and selection coming back to the States from Belgium, but I have to say, I have been more than pleasantly surprised at the microbrew explosion and the wide selection available that has resulted therefrom.

Tried a bunch of new beers when visiting my parents (Old Rasputin, some Sam Adams Imperial Series,Black Toad, and some others) and have continued to just try new ones now. Currently have in my fridge: Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale, Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA, Rogue Dead Guy Ale (one I've had a few times before, but it's good), and Back Forty Kudzu Porter (picked up because it's kind of local).

I'm definitely loving the American microbrew popularity.
What part of the states are you from, and how long have you been away? It might be the ignorant American in me speaking, but I think that the states of Michigan and Illinois alone have better beers than all of Belgium (that I've tried). The variety here is absolutely phenomenal, and the types of beers being brewed here is evolving.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
It might be the ignorant American in me speaking, but I think that the states of Michigan and Illinois alone have better beers than all of Belgium (that I've tried).
It is.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:18 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
It is.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:00 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
What part of the states are you from, and how long have you been away? It might be the ignorant American in me speaking, but I think that the states of Michigan and Illinois alone have better beers than all of Belgium (that I've tried). The variety here is absolutely phenomenal, and the types of beers being brewed here is evolving.
Originally from California, but lived in Oklahoma for 6 years and then Belgium for 3. Not to belittle your experience in the matter, but I'd wager that you haven't had too many Belgian beers and that most of the ones you have haven't been the best ones. Variety is undoubtedly superior though, as most Belgian beers are variations on the same type of ale.

My main concern was availability of good microbrews, as I don't believe I could have walked around a store just browsing microbrews for half an hour, as I have done several times since I got back, 3 years ago. Granted that could have been location and that I wasn't as into beer before I left, so maybe I simply wasn't looking. Before I went to Belgium I mostly drank Sam Adams and its varieties/seasonals and would grab a 6 pack of an import or microbrew if I saw it and it looked good. I drank some micros, but didn't really hunt for them.

Old
04-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Just received this today. Hell yeah.

I've been working through a six-pack I got in a trade. There are very few beers out there in the same class as Zombie Dust. Among hoppy beers, it might very well be the best in the world. I've ran it blind against a fresh (as in bottled like a week before) Pliny the Elder and picking between them was like splitting hairs.

Quote:
In terms of hoppy beers and stouts I'd definitely agree with you. A lot of the "mainstream" Belgian stuff (Duvel, Orval, Chimay Red, etc.) I find actually a bit boring and lacking in variety. The really hyped Trappist stuff like Westvleteren XII is good but the reputation is a bit much (among Belgian quads I find De Struise Pannepot is easily the best, considerably better than any of the Trappist breweries).

However...

When you get into sour beers it's a completely different story. Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen make lambics and geuzes that blow almost everything in the USA out of the water. The only breweries that can claim to be in the same class as them in terms of wild-fermented beers are Russian River and Lost Abbey, both in California. The Great Lakes region which you referenced has a few good breweries (such as Jolly Pumpkin) pushing out American wild ales but it's not a strong point of the area the way things like barrel-aged stouts and barleywines are. I've had most of Jolly Pumpkin's lineup including some pretty rare stuff like Perseguidor and Bambic, and I don't think a single one is as good as Drie Fonteinen's standard Oude Geuze (which isn't to say they are bad of course). Then there are a lot of other great breweries in the Flanders region (Rodenbach being the most well-known) that make very accessible sour beers (in the sense that they are both good introductions to the style and not hard to find state-side).

If I ever travel to Belgium I'm skipping all the Trappist breweries and heading straight to Cantillon for some Fou Foune.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Kekumba

Everyone should experience an afternoon at Cantillon. It is magical.

That said, aside from the sours I'm kinda inclined to side with chuppa.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Cardiac_Canes beat me to the response...but Belgium is on a pedestal looking down at the rest of the world when it comes to beer in my opinion. No less than half of my top 10 are from there, and none of them are even the trappist ales.

The flip side of that is the image of American beer being poor is definitely an outdated one as just about every state in the country has at least one phenomenal brewery in it.

But Oregon trumps Michigan and Illinois combined

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
04-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Cardiac_Canes beat me to the response...but Belgium is on a pedestal looking down at the rest of the world when it comes to beer in my opinion. No less than half of my top 10 are from there, and none of them are even the trappist ales.

The flip side of that is the image of American beer being poor is definitely an outdated one as just about every state in the country has at least one phenomenal brewery in it.

I'd be curious to hear which those are.

As for Oregon trumping Michigan and Illinois combined, that's a tough one but I'd probably be inclined to agree. Deschutes in my opinion is the best brewery in the country when one considers quality, consistency, and volume (they are the 5th largest craft brewery), Cascade and Block 15 are making tons of awesome sours, good IPAs abound, and the best kept secret is Boneyard, whose double IPA Hop Venom has been dubbed "the Pliny killer" and is going to be insanely popular when they finally start bottling or canning it.

That being said, the Midwest is king when it comes to big barrel-aged beers like stouts and barleywines.

Old
04-18-2013, 05:43 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Nice responses guys. They were interesting and informative to read. Even with Westy 12, which I had not two weeks ago, it was only "alright" for me. I can attribute my indifference to this style of beer to that. I don't know. Different strokes for different folks. But I would most definitely like to try some of the Belgium brews mentioned in this thread.

Epsilon, have you tried The Alchemist's Heady Topper?

I have a bottle of Fantome's Saison that I will probably be drinking sometime this week or next. I'm a little scared to try it because of the inconsistency of the brewery's products, but I've heard when it's good, it's real good.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Nice responses guys. They were interesting and informative to read. Even with Westy 12, which I had not two weeks ago, it was only "alright" for me. I can attribute my indifference to this style of beer to that. I don't know. Different strokes for different folks. But I would most definitely like to try some of the Belgium brews mentioned in this thread.

Epsilon, have you tried The Alchemist's Heady Topper?

I have a bottle of Fantome's Saison that I will probably be drinking sometime this week or next. I'm a little scared to try it because of the inconsistency of the brewery's products, but I've heard when it's good, it's real good.
Heady Topper is among the best beers I've ever had. For IPAs and DIPAs, I'd rank it below Zombie Dust, Kern River Citra (which is an absolute nightmare to get a hold of - I had to trade a Westy 12 and other stuff for two bottles of it), and Alpine Duet (the most underrated beer on earth), but ahead of almost anything else. It's as good as Pliny the Elder, Surly Abrasive, Alpine Pure Hoppiness, and anything else I've had in the style. Disclaimer: I've never had Pliny the Younger (one day...)

Old
04-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Heady Topper is among the best beers I've ever had. For IPAs and DIPAs, I'd rank it below Zombie Dust, Kern River Citra (which is an absolute nightmare to get a hold of - I had to trade a Westy 12 and other stuff for two bottles of it), and Alpine Duet (the most underrated beer on earth), but ahead of almost anything else. It's as good as Pliny the Elder, Surly Abrasive, Alpine Pure Hoppiness, and anything else I've had in the style. Disclaimer: I've never had Pliny the Younger (one day...)
You may have gotten all the Abyss, but I still got my Younger

Old
04-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
You may have gotten all the Abyss, but I still got my Younger
Oh yeah well, ummm, ahhh,..., crap, I've got nothing.

Oh, wait a minute, I forgot I was only listing bottle-distributed beers in that post. Hill Farmstead Abner is the best hoppy beer I've ever had and unlike anything else I've ever tasted. It is basically a religious experience in your mouth.

If only I hadn't gotten so drunk I puked at the end of that tasting party...

Old
04-19-2013, 06:34 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

Yep, trying to gameplan a trip over to Belgium at some point in the next 3-4 years. I'll pass the Trappists (might go to one just to see it) and go for Cantillon. I've had both Gueuze and Kriek and both are solidly in my top 15.

Old
04-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yep, trying to gameplan a trip over to Belgium at some point in the next 3-4 years. I'll pass the Trappists (might go to one just to see it) and go for Cantillon. I've had both Gueuze and Kriek and both are solidly in my top 15.
I have Cantillon's Kriek and 3 Fonteinen's at home, planning to do a blind tasting at some point.

Fou Foune is one of the beers I want to try the most, because of the 4 beers on the BA Top 25 list that have eluded me, it's one of the two (the other being CBS) that I feel like I have a reasonable shot to either acquire or see brought at a tasting night. The other two are Pliny the Younger (draft only) and Bourbon Vanilla BA Dark Lord (lol).

Last edited by Epsilon: 05-10-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Closed Thread