HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greatest leaf all time ?

Old
04-17-2013, 05:55 PM
crkkh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
Now you got me thinking, how could I possibly get through the morning without my xlarge coffee? Look at how Tim Horton has affected millions of lives, millions of times a day, he just has to be the greatest Leaf ever.
Certainly worth consideration

crkkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Bodybr3ak

Sundin for me.

Too many clutch goals that Ive witnessed over the years to not say sundin.

Can you imagine if Sundin got to play with todays wingers?

Lupul-Sundin-Kessel would be sweet to watch.

Bodybr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkkh View Post
Certainly worth consideration
18 consecutive seasons as a Leaf, considered the strongest man in the game.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:31 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybr3ak View Post
Sundin for me.

Too many clutch goals that Ive witnessed over the years to not say sundin.

Can you imagine if Sundin got to play with todays wingers?

Lupul-Sundin-Kessel would be sweet to watch.
I'd rather see JVR instead of Lupul. Just imagine, JVR in front of the net harassing the goalie. Then comes in Mats Sundin essentially toppling the opposition in their zone. Kessel would love such an environment.

The_Chosen_One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:46 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehavecable View Post
True but 6 teams meant it was tougher to play... Only the best get to play... So the top players were truely the top players.
So are you saying that 1/30(1/16) odds give you a better chance of winning than 1/6(1/4) odds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Agreed the more teams the more watered down the talent becomes.

Back in the original 6 days it was all-star teams going up against each other with teams full of HHOFers on squads.
LMAO

No different than today. Make 5 teams out of just Canadians and see how low down the depth chart you get. All-star teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
and facing one of the best 6 goalies in the world every night
It wass not the BEst in the World. That is so false. IT was the best from Canada, and a few from the States.

There were plenty of better players playing over seas. 1972 proved that.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
So are you saying that 1/30(1/16) odds give you a better chance of winning than 1/6(1/4) odds?

LMAO

No different than today. Make 5 teams out of just Canadians and see how low down the depth chart you get. All-star teams.

It wass not the BEst in the World. That is so false. IT was the best from Canada, and a few from the States.

I don't see the humour. I think we have a perennial contender if not Stanley Cup champion just from the GTA boys alone

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:56 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkkh View Post
This player may have been from a long time ago, but Charlie Conacher was probably top 3 in the NHL during the 1930's...
He won the Stanley Cup only once (1932), but also won 2 Scoring titles (1933 and 1934) as well as leading the NHL in scoring 5 times in 7 years (1930-31/1931-32/1933-34/1934-35/1935-36)
He broke his wrist the next year and never recovered from the injury properly...

In those years he led the league in scoring he scored 31 goals, 34 goals, 32 goals, 36 goals and 23 goals...all in 48 game seasons...how many of 2013 stars will score that many (since it is a 48 game season this year)

To contrast this Howie Morenz (the Montreal great) won 2 scoring championships and led the league in goal scoring once (1927-28)... Howie Morenz will always be listed amonst the greatest of Habs...

Sounds like Conacher did rather well for basically 7 years...
Good summary. I think Conacher was the most dominant Leaf in his own setting in the entire history of the franchise. At 6'1 or 6'2 and 200 plus pounds in an era when many players were 5'7 or 8, he was probably one of the most physically dominant players also.

My own opinion is that greatest Leaf is between Conacher and Apps. Apps had an amazing career also and lost some of what could have been his prime seasons to World War II.

Certainly where those two rated among the players of their time considerably exceeds where even the greatest more modern Leafs rated among the players of their time.

Last edited by 67Cup: 04-17-2013 at 08:12 PM.
67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:01 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
I say you would be picking from this list.
Different eras but I have them ranked like this based on seeing them first hand. The older guys could very well be at the top of the list.

Keon
Sittler
Gilmour
Sundin
Salming
Bower
Broda
Apps
Conacher
Teeder
Hap Day

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Hap Day or Babe Dye

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Interactif

I'll amend my original top 3 Leafs of all time to this list:
(Only going to use players that I have seen play)

1-Sittler
2-Gilmour
3-Sundin
4-Clark
5-Salming
6-Keon
6-Cujo
7-Mcdonald
8-Turnbull
9-Roberts
10-Kaberle

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:

LMAO

didn't realize that in 1972 there were only 6 teams in the NHL.

okay so 99% of the worlds best players

putz

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:30 AM
jughead42

Wendel Clark. I refuse to accept that anybody but Wendel is the best Leaf of any era. He can kick every one of their *****, and will do it even now if it would help the team in some way. He's that great a Leaf.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:19 AM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I'll amend my original top 3 Leafs of all time to this list:
(Only going to use players that I have seen play)

1-Sittler
2-Gilmour
3-Sundin
4-Clark
5-Salming
6-Keon
6-Cujo
7-Mcdonald
8-Turnbull
9-Roberts
10-Kaberle
I'm not picking on you. This is just an example of what lot of posters do, talking about the best players "of all time" instead of what they mean, and should say, "the best players I myself have seen."

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:54 AM
JTPoni23
Swiss For 2 Weeks...

I'm in high school now, but when I was a little kid my dad had a small book store, and he would constantly bring me home the latest hockey history books. I probably spent a good chunk of my childhood reading and rereading Maple Leaf Legends by Mike Leonetti. Then my dad bought me Leafs TV in '03 I think, and I actually got to see these guys I had been reading about for months and years on the classic games. I thought it was better than PS One. No matter how bad the game film was, or if the TV was muted, I could always pick out Keon, even as a 7 or 8 year old. To go back and see him play in person...can't even imagine what that would be like.

When I was really young I remember kids would be infatuated with Sundin, Mogilny, Cujo and Nolan while I would be talking to them about Keon, Teeder, the Chief and even vintage guys like Lorne Chabot with his famous baseball cap, and the Metz brothers etc. They all thought I was crazy.

Even a high schooler who was brought up at the turn of the millennium can recognize Keon is the greatest Leaf of all time. Remember, us youth don't all have blinders on. Just 99% of us.

Last edited by JTPoni23: 04-18-2013 at 02:04 AM.
JTPoni23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:57 AM
yakfish
"Holy Mackinaw!"

The numbers would indicate that Sundin was the Best Leaf IMO

Quote:

1972 PROVED Canada had the best players. Yes there were other great players overseas but the Canadians won IIRC

yakfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
LMAO

For your information.

The 1967 Cup winning Leafs team had future Hockey Hall of Famers Davey Keon, Frank Mahovlich, Red Kelly, George Armstrong, Bob Pulford, Tim Horton, Allan Stanley, Marcel Pronovost, Johnny Bower, Terry Sawchuk on their team. That is 10 players on a 20 man team or 50% an ALL-Star team.

Their competition at the time had similar makeups of many HHOFers playing together.

How many current Maple Leafs are destined for the HHOF or can you think of any current NHL team able to say 1/2 their current team is heading to the Hockey Hall of fame?

04-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfish View Post
The numbers would indicate that Sundin was the Best Leaf IMO

1972 PROVED Canada had the best players. Yes there were other great players overseas but the Canadians won IIRC
how is that? Sundin played an 82 game schedule, in a different era, with different equipment. And yet you can compare his game to that of someone from the 60's?

Old
04-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfish View Post
Paul Henderson can confirm your beliefs that Canada won the 1972 Summit Series, and proved to be the best in the World at the time.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Christ

Sittler, Keon, Apps, Gilmour, Sundin, Salming, Bower...too many players playing in different periods to really make a definitive statement as to who was the best. During my time as a Leaf's fan Gilmour was the most dominant Leaf I have ever seen. Even if he only played a short time with Toronto "Killer" left such an impression with me that I would have to go with him. Sundin wins it for longevity but he never approached the levels of dominance that Gilmour acheived while playing with the Leafs.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Aki Berg

so many to choose from...

sundin, keon, berg, clark, Gilmour...just to name a few

Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:41 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

Apps represented the Toronto Maple Leafs organization perfectly, and best exemplifies what a captain should be, a leader on, and off the ice. He's the greatest Leaf of all time, IMO

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki Berg View Post
so many to choose from...

sundin, keon, berg, clark, Gilmour...just to name a few
one of these things just isn't like the other
one of these things just doesn't belong

Old
04-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Aki Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
one of these things just isn't like the other
one of these things just doesn't belong

You have to admit..even though Gilmour didn't play in Toronto for too long..he still made a major impact on the leafs.

Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:27 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
For your information.

The 1967 Cup winning Leafs team had future Hockey Hall of Famers Davey Keon, Frank Mahovlich, Red Kelly, George Armstrong, Bob Pulford, Tim Horton, Allan Stanley, Marcel Pronovost, Johnny Bower, Terry Sawchuk on their team. That is 10 players on a 20 man team or 50% an ALL-Star team.

Their competition at the time had similar makeups of many HHOFers playing together.

How many current Maple Leafs are destined for the HHOF or can you think of any current NHL team able to say 1/2 their current team is heading to the Hockey Hall of fame?
Just to add to the HHOFers list, figured we should look up Montreal's.

Jean Beliveau
Yvan Cournoyer
Dick Duff
Jacques Laperriere
Henri Richard
Gump Worsley

Which is no list to sniff at either. Also had Rogie Vachon as their other goaltender and John Ferguson Sr of note as well.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:22 PM
rimshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
Apps represented the Toronto Maple Leafs organization perfectly, and best exemplifies what a captain should be, a leader on, and off the ice. He's the greatest Leaf of all time, IMO
Times two. Although Keon was my favourite, Apps was the real Canadian deal. He was a superstar athlete with leadership qualities that transcended sports. He sacrificed his prime playing years for his country and did not consider it something to complain about, but rather, something to be proud of.

rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote