HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stay Positive: We Are Crapping Just In Time!

Old
04-18-2013, 09:24 AM
sharks9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Same thing happened in 92-93 as well. Well, not QUITE the same, but they indeed were winless in 16 of their last 20.

Or something like that.
You know what else happened right before the playoffs? Patrick Roy got new pads. Lets hope Price's will help him as much as Roy's did!

And I completely agree with the OP, we have 14 days to get back into playoff shape and by then we'll hopefully have Ryder and Diaz back and be ready to go for a lengthy playoff run!

Last edited by sharks9: 04-18-2013 at 09:58 AM.
sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:53 AM
LesHabs66

I would like to see more Galchenyuk and less Gionta. Far less Gionta. He was once a gritty player that could find the net but time has erased that.

To put a positive spin on the current attempt to look like the Colorado Avalanche...they Habs are getting all of the bad games out of their system before the playoffs start. Right?

I do believe that the playoffs mean a fresh start. Bring up the young D from Hamilton and shake things up. They need the experience. I'd like to see Gabriel Dumont get some more playing time as he at least has some fire in his belly and isn't afraid to play physical. Get Galchenyuk off of the 4th line and let him play on a scoring line. Sit Useless Moen and bring Blundin back into the fold. At least he isn't shy about hitting someone.

Who knows. They might just pull their @#^$ together and start playing hockey again.

LesHabs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Exactly what I have been thinking.

We're losing at the exact right time. We're also resting up our injuries from game to game (Prust, Ryder), if those were playoffs games they both would have played. I think our team got a bit lazy after the playoff clinch, but this is the perfect time for Therrien to show us what he's got. We should be back on track soon, maybe as soon as tonight. Getting Raphael Diaz back will be huge for us also. Losing two defensemen that were logging 20 + mins is not as replaceable as you may think. Getting one back will help out our D corps a lot.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:32 AM
aingaran
HFBoards Sponsor

http://www.hockey-reference.com/team...993_games.html

Lost 11 of their last 18.

Including a few blow outs.
8-3, 5-1, 6-2, 4-2

aingaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Theres never a good time to be crapping, but I agree totally with what you're saying on the top tier teams vs us. We arent a top tier team, everyone knows that, even MB. That being said we are the kind of time that could surprise some, I just hope that its a slump because yes we could regain our confidence and do well in the playoffs, but we could also be in for a very quick exit along with a disastrous end of season.

I remain positive but they need to clear their minds and focus on the basics, they cant even seem to get that right.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:00 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabs66 View Post
I would like to see more Galchenyuk and less Gionta. Far less Gionta. He was once a gritty player that could find the net but time has erased that.

To put a positive spin on the current attempt to look like the Colorado Avalanche...they Habs are getting all of the bad games out of their system before the playoffs start. Right?

I do believe that the playoffs mean a fresh start. Bring up the young D from Hamilton and shake things up. They need the experience. I'd like to see Gabriel Dumont get some more playing time as he at least has some fire in his belly and isn't afraid to play physical. Get Galchenyuk off of the 4th line and let him play on a scoring line. Sit Useless Moen and bring Blundin back into the fold. At least he isn't shy about hitting someone.

Who knows. They might just pull their @#^$ together and start playing hockey again.
I actually think playing a couple of rookies this playoffs could be a very good move.

It worked great for 86 Habs.

Rookies are fresh, have the stamina, and the drive. The vets are tired, and hurt.

We have nothing to lose this year. Get the kids in there.

I would have no problem with Tinordi and Dumont in the opening lineup.

Hell, chuck Kristo in there too. I'm not kidding. With his energy and youth, he might go Claude Lemieux on us.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

I agree with the OP. Remember 1993? We were in first place overall & cruising nicely, then Montreal fell apart & if you recall, we pulled Roy in the last game to avoid a tie. Habs did not look good whatsoever going into 1993 playoffs. Now, I admit that comparing that squad to this one isn't a good facsimile. But on the simple merits of slumping during a certain point in the season there is a comparison on that merit alone that can be made.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:35 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Patrick View Post
Theres never a good time to be crapping, but I agree totally with what you're saying on the top tier teams vs us. We arent a top tier team, everyone knows that, even MB. That being said we are the kind of time that could surprise some, I just hope that its a slump because yes we could regain our confidence and do well in the playoffs, but we could also be in for a very quick exit along with a disastrous end of season.
Yup. We really ought to win one round, but expecting more than that is probably folly. Realistically we're probably a "second-tier" team this year, behind the likes of the Penguins, Blackhawks, Bruins, and Kings. We're sitting in that second tier with the Ducks, the Canucks, and maybe the Capitals. Teams that, if the chips fall just right, can get to the third round or deeper, but probably shouldn't.

Yes, I put the Kings ahead of the Ducks, partly due to defending-champion status, and partly because their shot numbers are just so convincingly in their favor. They've got the kind of numbers they had last year going into the playoffs, and look what happened then.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:36 PM
gillings

This is on therrien guys..

Switching goalies back and forth..

The lines are always the same Why?

I mean.. we are loosing right?

Ever since this hard on for dd-pac-gall has happened, our play has been below average.

Either the media is ****ing with us fans hardcoreProbably this.. And you can see it everynight by the way the refs treat montreal players, and the way the coaching is or IDfrankingK

I see nothing constructive coming from therrien right now..

Either he was told to keep these lines or he will lose his job or he is lost.

But galchenyuk subban are playing good, and price will hopefully come around. Another guy who has played well is eller and gallagher.

gillings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:46 PM
izzy75

There's three running narratives to this season:

1. Optimism bordering on delusional (see this thread)
2. Realistic i.e. We were horrid last year, and a bit better this year (but overachieving)
3. Everyone's horrible bring back Halak

I'd like to think I'm in #2. Anyway, we're done in the first round. Diaz (God, you know your picking at crumbs when HE is the guy some people are looking towards to fix what's broken on defence) or no Diaz.

izzy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:08 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
There's three running narratives to this season:

1. Optimism bordering on delusional (see this thread)
2. Realistic i.e. We were horrid last year, and a bit better this year (but overachieving)
3. Everyone's horrible bring back Halak

I'd like to think I'm in #2. Anyway, we're done in the first round. Diaz (God, you know your picking at crumbs when HE is the guy some people are looking towards to fix what's broken on defence) or no Diaz.
So, you're going on record, saying that if we match up against the Leafs, we have no chance?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Brainiac

Crapping just in time is an important concept if you want to keep your underwear clean...

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Raider917

as much as i was suprised at how well montreal played this year, i find it hard to believe that it was all because of emelin. since his injury it has been ugly but i really dont think that the team cant somehow start playing better than this again.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yep View Post
First 30 games (19-6-5)
  • The habs were pretty bad last year = a lot of teams took us too lightly early this season
  • Simple system implemented quite fast and built on our team strenghts gave us an edge against teams still rusty from the lockout
  • Victories boosted team confidence to a level we hadn't seen in a while.

Last 13 games (7-6-0)

The system involves the habs forecheckers splitting the ice in half by forcing the opposing D-men to keep the play in their lane in a north-south manner (similar to the red wings left wing lock). In the neutral zone the Habs forwards are all on collapsing the puck holder taking "control" of that lane. This one has to slow down, dump in or make a risky often imprecise pass. When the habs regain possession the other team is often all on the same lane the habs were pressurizing (in support to the pressurized puckholder) leaving the other lane open to a quick transition. That's how the habs gain advantage of its speedier forwards and defensemen passing ability.
  • The other team have now figured out the system (not that hard really) and are prepared better. Carbo showed some clips yesterday where you could see opposing d-men refusing to be forced into their lane.
  • Losses came with fewer wins in-between
  • Doubt arise amonst the players and the players level of confidence is falling to a level never seen this season.
  • The coaching staff might at first blame poor execution because the system is in fact poorly executed right now, but you can't say "execute better" to players with low level of confidence, some probably already doubting the system or even the coaches ability to adjust.
  • Coaches will bring small adjustments and often with a little bit of luck these will lead to victories again, boosting player confidence.

Just in time for the playoffs (hopefully).
Dead on. Awesome post. You must be a very handsome person.

Yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Well, I hope the skid stops here...
One thing about a skid like that... is that it is soooo damn unpleasant that the players will want to avoid that feeling at all costs.

ie. Play hard with GUTS!

Leafs board is now in partial suicide mode.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 02:28 AM
coolasprICE

Laughs board can't come up with their own threads so they have to use ours when they lose a few games

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1407543

Old
04-19-2013, 05:09 AM
bib
#believe

You know what they say.

Better to crap than to hold it in, become constipated, and implode.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:35 AM
coolasprICE

ya, this is going perfectly to plan. Now let's go 1-1-1 in last 3 games and face the over confident Laughs

Old
04-21-2013, 01:48 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
ya, this is going perfectly to plan. Now let's go 1-1-1 in last 3 games and face the over confident Laughs
1-1-1 is not a good record...

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:54 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
exactly. It's the ''getting slowly back into it before we hit a hot streak by game 2 of 3 of the playoffs'' good.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:11 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
It's exactly what we need for home advantage first round. The last game against Leafs may now decide that, and that is a piss off. It was to be avoided.

If they only get 2 points against NJ and Peg, they will not get 2nd in conference anyway, so that's not a consideration.

I was hoping they'd give a week off to Marky, Cube, Prust , Gio, Bourque, Diaz and Price by not playing them against TO last game. This also avoids freak injuries and re-injuries to said players.

Pray Laffs lose 1 of their next two. Then all we need is 1 lousy point the next 2 games, and we can rest all above players next Saturday. Who are they playing?

Edit: Just checked. Great, Laffs play Tampa and Florida next 2 games. FFS.

Now I am thinking, even with 4th on the line going into ACC, I would rest above players anyway, and throw the rookies into the last game big time, give them the challenge. Even if it means, if they lose, starting on the road against Leafs or Isles.

Last edited by bsl: 04-21-2013 at 02:44 AM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:54 AM
habtastic

So, just checking, are we giving up on Boston somehow, inexplicably losing as much as us (by no means in the same fashion) and just accepting it's gonna be 4th...or...5th?

I would prefer a complete turnaround with a 3-0 record, (that still might not be good enough for 2nd if I'm not mistaken since Bruins have 2 games in hand). And big wins too, preferably with Carey making a few highlight reelers along with a tight D making him have to do little else. Otherwise...I'm joining the very concerned boat.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:00 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

I'm hoping this 3 games road trip can have a positive effect on the group.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:55 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 755
To me, personally, it seems like the team is resting, and I wouldn't have a problem with that if that's the case. In fact, that's how I'll view this slump, because honestly, it makes no sense the change of play since clinching a playoff spot. Most of the teams we're facing are playing over their heads, trying to get into the playoffs. On the other hand, our team shifted to neutral, which results in what we've seen lately. To me, it's a possibility, one that I'll adhere to, because I refuse to believe Emelin plays such a big role, or that this team has no more gas.

I've got this feeling that, next Saturday, Montreal will show a taste of what we're about to see in the playoffs. **** being concerned! Rest up guys, the playoffs are coming.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:16 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Let's face it things have been way too rosey and the Habs were making it all look way too easy. They are not a top tier team that can simply roll through the season with W's and carry it over into the playoffs.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think LOSING right now is absolutely the BEST thing possible if this team has hope for any chance of success come playoff time.

I can't count how many times I've read ''We're falling apart right before the playoffs at the worst possible moment''. WRONG! The playoffs are in TWO WEEKS.

If I were a Leafs fan I'd be a lot more worried seeing my team get hot... You know what's going to happen? They're going to run out of gas. They're not that good and once they start losing, confidence will hit rock bottom like it is to our team right now.

The only teams that can remain ''hot'' and carry it over in the playoffs are top tier teams and that the Leafs are not (and neither are we). So bring them on. We're prepared.

BOOK THIS: Price will regain his confidence and the team's morale will only benefit from this slump. It will bring the team closer together. It's almost like they know they've been playing way over expectations and are getting the losses out of the way so they can resume the ''underdog'' role that they initially had starting the season.

Anyways, this post is all over the place but my "gut'' is telling me is losing NOW is the best thing that can happen. If you don't agree with this outlook carry on with your crying, I'll just bump this thread when we make it out of the 1st round.
its perfect timing for MB to realize this team isnt good enough

remember one thing , DO WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 82 GAMES THIS YEAR , we are better but not contenders

this is a wake up call hab fans, our d is small and weak, Markov 5/5 is done he has lost 2 steps and overall size and toughness is an issue

the following are useless

Cube, Moen, White, Colby, DD, Kabbie, and the following should be gone after next year Markov ( dont even attempt to resign him , he is finished in an 82 game season) and Gio

we have much work to do to fix this thing , but we are progressing

as long as we dont do any bandaid patch crap , and overpaying for fillers in UFA we are fine moving forword

we have Gally, Galchy, Eller, Pk , Price , Max much better than years gone buy to start with plus many young ones hopefully ready soon

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote