HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 02:25 AM
Qrispy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Am I the only one who's really sick of seeing every player who isn't 6'2 being written off?
It's incredibly enraging.

You don't draft Monahan's or Barkov's ahead of players like MacKinnon because of a couple inches.
I'm with you there.

If you don't take MacKinnon over Monahan or Barkov, you're effin crazy. MacKinnon plays very much like Hall from what I've seen and I'd kill to have another player like that on this team.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:51 AM
Joey Moss

Would be cool if Calgary got Drouin and we got MacKinnon. I agree though, I'd take Mack over Barkov or Monahan. If he can bring all the other assets like defensive play and faceoffs that the other two do then I'm fine with it..

Old
04-18-2013, 03:53 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Mackinnon from what I recall at the WJC's was fast as hell and strong for his size. I would not discount a player like that just because another prospect has a few inches of height over him.

04-18-2013, 03:58 AM
Soundwave

If MacKinnon is on the board you take him, I don't even think it's much of a debate. Bye bye Gagner. I doubt the Oilers can drop that low though, he'll be gone by no.3 for sure.

Old
04-18-2013, 04:03 AM
Joey Moss

The Oilers are 3 points away from 3, so you never know.. especially with our schedule.

He's a lot like Taylor Hall but with better balance and hands. Hall is clearly faster and bigger. Mac will probably play at 6'1 200 though. He's a tank for his size already. His body style is a lot like Crosby's at an early age. I would love to get Mackinnon and trade Gagner for a defenseman. I've also done some reading on his defensive play, he's responsible defensively and his faceoffs are improving. I read somewhere he was at 55% this year.

Old
04-18-2013, 04:15 AM
Everlasting

More kids = Longer rebuild.

Old
04-18-2013, 04:17 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
I agree with this for the most part, however I think Barkov and MacKinnon are so close that they're interchangeable. But yes, it's ridiculous to suggest picking Monahan over MacKinnon, and personally I'd say over Lindholm too.
I didn't actually see anyone say they would take Monahan over Mackinnon. I know Mackinnon is going to be great, but I'd at least consider trading down to pick Barkov. Of course Lindholm looks great too, there's so many options for us to secure a 2nd line center. Barkov is the guy I want in the top 5, Monahan is the guy I'd hope to get 5-7.

Old
04-18-2013, 05:02 AM
Heavy Dee

As long as we get one of the five studs

For me:

Jones
Drouin
MacKinnon
Barkov
Lindholm

Is the pretty clear top 5 right now.

Old
04-18-2013, 06:41 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Am I the only one who's really sick of seeing every player who isn't 6'2 being written off?
It's incredibly enraging.

You don't draft Monahan's or Barkov's ahead of players like MacKinnon because of a couple inches.
as long as the Oil don't take Drouin. i don't know enough about any of the Centres to say, but, we better be taking the one that is strong on the puck and difficult to play against. we absolutely must pick for need. this 'best player available' isn't all its cracked up to be. just ask the now unemployed Tambellini. MacT will likely be trading one of our 'best players available' to fill a gaping need. We shall see what all you 'BPA, everytime, no matter what' disciples think then. I suspect many of you are the same people as the 'you just don't trade a player like that, ever' crowd. Tambellini has one of them.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
as long as the Oil don't take Drouin. i don't know enough about any of the Centres to say, but, we better be taking the one that is strong on the puck and difficult to play against. we absolutely must pick for need. this 'best player available' isn't all its cracked up to be. just ask the now unemployed Tambellini. MacT will likely be trading one of our 'best players available' to fill a gaping need. We shall see what all you 'BPA, everytime, no matter what' disciples think then. I suspect many of you are the same people as the 'you just don't trade a player like that, ever' crowd. Tambellini has one of them.
From what I can tell, you'd be hard pressed to take Barkov, or Monahan especially, over Drouin because of "size"

That would be like taking JVR over Pat Kane because you want a "big forward"

Old
04-18-2013, 09:28 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
the debate for the oilers shouldnt be hard if they have a top 3 pick imo. Jones is #1, Mackinnon #2 and drouin is clearly better than the rest so he is #3. then the debate can start Barkov is probably next on my list then Lindholm. that is the top 5 it has to be. if we pick out of that range then you are in Monahan, Nurse etc.

if anyone passes on Mackinnon or Drouin we have to take them, not taking drouin would be like not taking parise and picking poo-leeot. Mackinnon has the compete level of hall and yak. if there is any chance we get him we have to take him.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:47 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
If the cost of a longer rebuild is the addition of MacKinnon, I'm okay with the wait. Besides, a GM should be able to build around his guys without giving up his first round pick.

We better not trade a top 5 pick for a couple years at an aging veteran.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:18 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post

For me:

Jones
Drouin
MacKinnon
Barkov
Lindholm

I would put Monahan in that group, he arguably fits the Oilers needs better than any of those guys outside of Jones of course. I'm not sure what makes Lindholm better than him although i gotta admit that Lindholm was extremely impressive at the WJC, much more physical than i imagined he would be.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:22 AM
nafrelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Would be cool if Calgary got Drouin and we got MacKinnon. I agree though, I'd take Mack over Barkov or Monahan. If he can bring all the other assets like defensive play and faceoffs that the other two do then I'm fine with it..
It would be even cooler if we got MacKinnon and the Flames won enough games to get out of the top 8 - I'd be okay if they got Zadorov or Shinkaruk.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:47 AM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post

For me:

Jones
Drouin
MacKinnon
Barkov
Lindholm

Most Edmonton fans don't want Lindholm because he isn't tall enough.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
From what I can tell, you'd be hard pressed to take Barkov, or Monahan especially, over Drouin because of "size"

That would be like taking JVR over Pat Kane because you want a "big forward"
In general, yes. BPA. But the Best Possible Centre generally has more value than the Best Possible Winger.

In Chicago's perspective, they already had Toews and two stud defencemen in Keith and Seabrook. A skill winger was exactly what they needed. Not to say they wouldn't have taken him anyway, because he was the consensus #1 overall. Like us taking Yak. We weren't dying for skill on the wings, but if you have #1 you take the BPA. But we just got three BPAs in a row, so if you have two players close in rank, I think we can take the one that suits us better. I think its been proven that its too difficult to trade for those types of players.

In our case, if we were to take Drouin, we have another smallish skilled winger in our top six. We would likely then need to consider moving one of them for a #2C that we desperately need, and it would cost dearly if we could even manage it. Barkov fits what this team needs, and is the skill drop off so much that he's not close to Drouin? I don't think so. He's scoring more against grown men in the Finnish league than anyone since Selanne. If we're in the range of Monahan, Drouin is gone already, so don't be scurred homie.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Koto

how

low

can we go

Old
04-18-2013, 11:28 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
exactly... look, i'll be thrilled to get mackinnon (although i really doubt that happens)... but if we did draft him, i don't think we should trade gagner and insert mackinnon next year... that is, unless we want to lose more games next year... gagner next year >> mackinnon next year... long term this changes (obviously), but there is essentially no chance of mackinnon being the better NHL player next season

if we fluke out and end up with mackinnon, we keep gagner (or some other real NHL-centre that gagner is traded for) and only put mackinnon into the 2nd line C role when he is ready... likely in 2 or maybe 3 years

Old
04-18-2013, 11:36 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
ugg, i can't even believe i'm responding to this, but here goes

yes, you still ALWAYS pick the BPA... because even if you don't end up with a player that fits your team need (such is arguably the case with yakupov) you still end up with the best player... by having the best player, you have the most valuable trading chip from that draft, which can be cashed in for a player that fits your team need

i can't believe this still needs to be pointed out (over and over and over and over and over)

Old
04-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
In general, yes. BPA. But the Best Possible Centre generally has more value than the Best Possible Winger.

In Chicago's perspective, they already had Toews and two stud defencemen in Keith and Seabrook. A skill winger was exactly what they needed. Not to say they wouldn't have taken him anyway, because he was the consensus #1 overall. Like us taking Yak. We weren't dying for skill on the wings, but if you have #1 you take the BPA. But we just got three BPAs in a row, so if you have two players close in rank, I think we can take the one that suits us better. I think its been proven that its too difficult to trade for those types of players.

In our case, if we were to take Drouin, we have another smallish skilled winger in our top six. We would likely then need to consider moving one of them for a #2C that we desperately need, and it would cost dearly if we could even manage it. Barkov fits what this team needs, and is the skill drop off so much that he's not close to Drouin? I don't think so. He's scoring more against grown men in the Finnish league than anyone since Selanne. If we're in the range of Monahan, Drouin is gone already, so don't be scurred homie.
Yeah those ridiculously high end skill guys are just a dime a dozen. Again, Drouin isn't the ideal pick, but if he falls to the Oilers outside of the top-3 to 5, then they would be stupid not to take him. Besides, if they do pick him, convert him to a center, like the Hawks have done with Kane a bit.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:13 PM
NeutralZone

Drouin presents an interesting situation for the Oilers. Most likely he'll either be gone or we're picking first and taking Jones, but what if we pick third and he's still on the board?

With Hall, Drouin, Eberle and Yakupov and we'd be stacked down both wings, but with no size. It seems crazy to pick another winger, especialy one under 6 feet, given our lack of depth at center and d.

Would we trade down and take Barkov? Would anyone give us a decent return on one draft spot? Would we trade the pick outright for an established player?

Also, how do people feel about Nurse? If Jones, Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov and Lindholm are gone, does it make sense to draft Nurse, or trade the pick? You've got to draft dmen at some point, but they take a long time to develop.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yeah those ridiculously high end skill guys are just a dime a dozen. Again, Drouin isn't the ideal pick, but if he falls to the Oilers outside of the top-3 to 5, then they would be stupid not to take him. Besides, if they do pick him, convert him to a center, like the Hawks have done with Kane a bit.
Who's to say how much higher skill Drouin is than Barkov? Different leagues. If Barkov is a half-step below in offensive skill, he's got a better all-around game and a better frame to build on. That's more rare than a smallish skill guy, IMO. And harder to acquire outside of the draft. People make it sound like you're going to be getting Kane vs Pouliot skill wise. But its more like Jeff Skinner vs Anze Kopitar. Both great players, but who would you rather have on your team?

Old
04-18-2013, 12:28 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
I would trade the pick UNLESS we end up getting Seth Jones.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:35 PM
DousedInOil

I voted Monahan but man Elias Lindholm is really underrated here with ony 14 votes. He's arguably a better player and would bring some grit to that second line center position. He could really be a special player and would look awesome alongside Paajarvi.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
PRV-Lindholm-Yakupov

Fill the rest of the forwards with big gritty plugs.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Mr Sakich

I think we are going to end up 4th or 5th. ISS has Druin at 4 so it is quite possible that he will be the BPA when we pick.

IMO, at least one GM is going to want Druin so bad that he will trade a big body top 6 or a PMD for Druin. This could be MacT's bold move - a potential franchise forward traded to fill a need.

In the last 10 years, only 1 top 4 pick has been traded (Seguin) and that was a mistake. If Toronto knew it was a top 4, the trade would have never happened. The price for a top 4 pick is very high.

Closed Thread