HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 06:43 AM
habsfanatics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
That's what happen when you reach the "elite goalie" status.

Ask Buffalo fans when Miller have a bad stretch or ask Calgary fan about Kiprusoff bad stats in the past few years.

When their goalies have bad stats, fans will says: "Behind a good team, our goalie would be among the saves% leader." But when they have good stat, their goalie is the only reason why their team is competitive, without them they would be lottery teams.

in short, when a goalie reach the elite status, their team always play bad: if the team manage to have success, then its because of the great goaltending, if the team sucks, then its the team fault.

Are you suggesting that Price has reached elite status? I'm not seeing it here, these last two games aside, I don't think he's been elite, he's been pretty good. He's been wildly inconsistent from year to year, good year, bad year, good year, ok year. I'm not bashing price here, he's a good goalie, when I say he's overrate it's not because I think he's bad, but because he seems to get credit for things he's never accomplished.

He's an elite goalie without a single nomination for any awards. Elite goalies usually get a nomination from time to time, no? I don't care about jr stats or AHL awards, they are meaningless now. Great at the time, but not predictive of future results in the NHL. He's been middle of the pack stats wise for the better part of his career, sure teams and other factors dictate many of the results, but for someone without any nominations for anything, a playoff record that is terrible (highly dictated by the team), however, Halak proved that it could be done, not saying Halak is better either, just pointing out that the team argument is exaggerated a bit.

Look, I'm glad we have Price and fully expect him to bounce back, he's had a streak of bad luck in the last few games along with some poor play, happens to everyone, but he wasn't great prior to these games either imo. He was good, but not elite, our team has one of the better shot differentials in the league, yet his stats don't reflect that.

Saying someone is over rated != bad player. He's not a bad player, but he's no savior either. For whatever reason, anything about Price is off limits around these parts. Christ even in Halaks runs Price won the Molson cup award despite being outplayed. The clamoring over price has more to do with what we expect to happen someday than what has actually happened.

Old
04-18-2013, 06:50 AM
speed11

i wonder if anything is going on carey's personal life.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:29 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
i wonder if anything is going on carey's personal life.
Bringing it back to personal life huh? How great...

Old
04-18-2013, 09:49 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
You should try being happy more, life is much more fun that way. I see you posting so negatively everyday, I feel sad for you.

Yea our team is struggling g right now but overall things are great compared to a year ago. Yea Budaj should get more time because he is playing well, so should Eller and Galenchyuk but take a minute to stop and smell the roses instead of whining and being upset every single day. Getting upset and demanding more on the Internet isn't going to make the team better.

Enjoy the positives that life has to bring instead of focussing on the negatives everyday.

Go back and read your posts. So much rhetoric. Yea we all want the team to be better but per maiming that DD will be traded if he doesn't pick it up or Price should be benched aren't going to make a difference. So just try to get more enjoyment out of the team you love.
Personal, but I'll take it. I'm never going to be positive like you by the way, ever. It's just the way I am. And no worries, I do love Habs, thanks for pointing that out. And, they give me tons of enjoyment, win or lose.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:51 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Know the hate, man that's rich. And I wasn't speaking specifically about you but you come in and admit you go running to the mods when things don't go your way ? Methinks thou doth protest too much and may I suggest growing a little thicker skin?

No one denies he's in a funk but losing the division title is meaningless, and trying to position the have for some perceived " best matchup" is in this case, literally a fools errand. No one cares if a team wins the presidents trophy and then tanks when it counts, for the division title its even worse. Please don't rat me out to my mom.

Haters gonna hate.
Blah blah blah,. I said I did not like the use of the word Hate on a hockey board, when it is a very serious word that leads to things like Boston, and you come jumping in like an *******. Look to your self man.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:00 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Price lost the game against the Leafs.... no doubt about it. Philly was an entire team breakdown with three breakaways that I saw along with numerous defensive breakdowns... Price had to be amazing for us to come out of the 1st down 2-1.

Yeah, he's hit bad times but it's silly to suggest having Budaj take over. It's been two bad games, you've got to have more faith in Price than that. I understand us sitting him against Pittsburgh but to bench him? Doesn't make sense.

Budaj is the backup for a reason. He's been great this year and that's a luxury we should all be happy to have. If Price goes down in the playoffs... so be it. But let's not get ahead of ourselves... He's been mostly solid this year. When he's been bad he's stunk but he certainly doesn't need replacing.
LG I did not demand Budaj the last 6 games, I said if he is the best goalie, we should go with him for now to maximize our finishing spot. The theme of my post is that Habs must act to win the division as best they can, and if that means sitting CP, so be it.

Anyway, the point on going with Budaj if he plays well perhaps is moot after last night.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:04 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabs66 View Post
Is this the year that Price turns his 8-15-3 playoff record around? If he falls apart and Peter Budaj comes in (ala Halak) to save the day what does the future hold for Carey Price as a starting goaltender in Montreal? I hope this doesn't happen. Carey Price needs to get it together and come out swinging once the post-season arrives.
I pray it does not happen either. I will be rooting for CP massively in the PO, and yes, he has huge pressure. He's the no. 1 goalie for the Habs, and that is all I need to know. That does not mean I cannot be disappointed in his not stepping up the last 7 games or so.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
It's sad that we're unsure whether he's the real deal or not after giving him a massive contract.
I think the only people unsure about Price at this point are all the "chicken little" Habs fans on this forum. He has a rough few games and the sky is falling.

No mention of the team around him and how 6 guys are on the ice not 1. Takes a team to win these games regardless if it's Price or Budaj or Halak or Huet on and on.

People, we have some injuries, some line changes and a goalie thats fighting the puck right now. We've got a coach that is facing the first stretch of games with adversity and the bounces aren't going our way. The past 3-4 games don't erase the first 40. Maybe we aren't as good as we played the first forty games but we aren't as bad as we've played the last 3-4. So get off the ledge and relax.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:13 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
No offense and I understand you have a soft spot for that position but his record is what it is. I've heard the same argument about his save % and how it would be elite if it wasn't for a handful of blowouts. That's like saying MaxPac is a PPG player if you don't count all the games he played following an injury. You're either elite or you're not. At least for now.

That TSN survey blows my mind. It just shows how perception is everything in life. Same thing I see at work. There are people who have such a reputation that they can get away with doing nothing and be considered essential.
Pause for DAD advice post:

Good post, but watch out for the work anger. Some of those people you say do nothing might have more experience in their left thumb than anyone else at the office, and the hour of work they do per day is worth 16 from others.

Or, they could just be *******s.

And those same people might have paid the price big time for years when they were younger too, to gain the knowledge and experience they have.

Or, they could just be *******s.

I should know, I'm one of them.

Or, I could just be an *******.

If you find your self angry at work, that is bad dude, because you may not be able to change things there. Better to find another place, or type of work. I had to do the same thing, so do most people. Life is too short.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:16 AM
windycity

like him or not, he's really all we have right now and for the forseeable future.

I like him but I have serious doubts about him

Old
04-18-2013, 10:21 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
You argued that Price deserves it as much as anyone in the East. The guy might get an undeserved amount of bashing, but it's ludicrous to even suggest he has legit chances of winning the Vezina.

As for "Rask and Lundqvist" love, I'm just stating it's absurd to say they're not the top-2 favorites in the East to get it.

One thing I hate about Carey Price debates it's that it's more polarized than any debate on any one of these boards. There's no middle-ground, people are either incredibly biased for or against the guy. This is the reason why he's undeservedly such a hot topic, whether it's positive or negative. People can't be critic and rational when it comes to goalies in Montreal.
This is not true. There are many on this board, including me, who think Price is a fantastic goalie, and we're just disappointed in his recent play. We want him to do better because we know he can.

No need to wind everyone up, it's not that polarized.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:24 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine View Post
Carey Price has a ES better save percentage then Peter Budaj (.921 vs .914) but a worse SH save percentage (.821 vs .927).

Here's a thought - should we play Price when we're at ES and Budaj when SH?
I think that is actually allowed in the NHL, as long as there is no delay of game in switching goalies. Cool idea. I like your thinking.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:25 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
This is not true. There are many on this board, including me, who think Price is a fantastic goalie, and we're just disappointed in his recent play. We want him to do better because we know he can.

No need to wind everyone up, it's not that polarized.
Good post!! Man, we are passionate and crazy at the same time...breathe guys, breathe...

Old
04-18-2013, 10:32 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
did you not read where I said he wasn't playing good in my post that you quoted?

This board and a lot of Habs fans like to blame Price (or whoever the goalie was) for every time something goes wrong, but this is a lot deeper than Price. The defense, penalty kill, lack of a forecheck and lack of phsyical presence are a way bigger concern than the performance of Price... but the goalie is always the scapegoat in Montreal.
Where does this **** come from, may I ask? I've watched Habs for over 40 years, and this town LOVES Habs goalies.

And I have NEVER seen a Habs goalie take an unfair amount of blame when Habs get knocked out of PO, never.

You're basically saying Habs fans are idiots. **** off very much. How dare you come here and say **** like this?

The **** people spout here, like totally incorrect wrong ****.

Last edited by bsl: 04-18-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old
04-18-2013, 10:42 AM
windycity

Quote:
Where does this **** come from, may I ask? I've watched Habs for over 40 years, and this town LOVES Habs goalies.

And I have NEVER seen a Habs goalie take an unfair amount of blame when Habs get knocked out of PO, never.

You're basically saying Habs fans are idiots. **** off very much.

Honestly, Habs fans can be pretty fickle when it comes to our goalies. Roy was booed so was Dryden. Playing goal in Mtl is harder than most places.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Honestly, Habs fans can be pretty fickle when it comes to our goalies. Roy was booed so was Dryden. Playing goal in Mtl is harder than most places.
Theo had it so bad his hair started falling out!

Old
04-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

You're basically saying Habs fans are idiots. **** off very much. How dare you come here and say **** like this?

Really?

I wasn't born and even I know quite a few people wanted Hayward to play over Roy some time after their 86 cup win.

Seriously

Old
04-18-2013, 12:00 PM

Can anyone explain why it's relevant for Carey Price to be known as 'elite'?

Plenty of teams have won Cups with goalies who can be considered 'not elite' and plenty of goalies who are considered 'elite' have never won Cups.

So in the end, why care about some ridiculous catch phrase that fans/media like to toss around to make it seem like they really know what they're talking about.

I couldn't careless if Carey Price is elite...Carey Price just needs to play like we all know he can, and if that happens, he's as good as any goalie in the league.

But of course, we all know...you need more than a goalie standing on his head to win a Stanley Cup, many things have to be rolling right for any team to be successful.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Habs Junkie

Can't wait for the Budaj vs Halak threads to start

Old
04-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Can anyone explain why it's relevant for Carey Price to be known as 'elite'?

Plenty of teams have won Cups with goalies who can be considered 'not elite' and plenty of goalies who are considered 'elite' have never won Cups.

So in the end, why care about some ridiculous catch phrase that fans/media like to toss around to make it seem like they really know what they're talking about.

I couldn't careless if Carey Price is elite...Carey Price just needs to play like we all know he can, and if that happens, he's as good as any goalie in the league.

But of course, we all know...you need more than a goalie standing on his head to win a Stanley Cup, many things have to be rolling right for any team to be successful.
Words of wisdom.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Serious HABit

over-hyped first round draft pick who the fan-base was made to believe was elite.

If halak was drafted 5th overall we'd be jumping on his D. Imagine price as the 271st pick? We would't care.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious HABit View Post
over-hyped first round draft pick who the fan-base was made to believe was elite.

If halak was drafted 5th overall we'd be jumping on his D. Imagine price as the 271st pick? We would't care.
But he's not... so what's your point?

Old
04-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Ginu

#Habs Martin Brodeur avait 30 ans quand il a gagné son 1er trophée Vézina. Kiprusoff, Miller et Lundqvist: 29 ans. Thomas: 34 ans

#chillout

Old
04-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
#Habs Martin Brodeur avait 30 ans quand il a gagné son 1er trophée Vézina. Kiprusoff, Miller et Lundqvist: 29 ans. Thomas: 34 ans

#chillout
Yeah good point lets wait 4 more years before wnjoying some good perfomances from Price. Meanwhile forget any stanley cups.

Really the only Price fans left are trolls. If hou think it will take 10 years for a goalie to achieve a level where he will perform at his best you don't give him the starting job now you let him develop in the minors until hes ready for the big league...any person with some brain will have figured that out

Just admit the mistake they did with Price by giving him the Throne before he even earned it. Stop making excuses.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:41 PM
bhuya71

I think it's a two fold of defense is playing like crap...carey is overcompensating on shots because defense is playing like crap and he gets out of position because he doesn't trust his d...also his groin is still possibly wonky

Closed Thread