HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Big Night for Draft Positioning:
Quote:
FLA v. NYR
TB v. MTL
NJD v. PHI
CAR v. WPG
PHX v. STL
VAN v. DAL
Best case scenario for the Flyers is 8th place at the end of the night, with a closed gap to the 4/5 spots:

1. FLA - 34 points*
2. COL - 35 points
3. NSH - 38 points (13 ROW)
4. CGY - 38 points (17 ROW)
5. CAR - 38 points (18 ROW)*
6. EDM - 39 points
7. TB - 40 points *
8. PHI - 41 points
9. NJD - 42 points*
10. BUF - 44 points*
11. PHX - 45 points (16 ROW)*
* = ROW winner tonight.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:28 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Big Night for Draft Positioning:

Best case scenario for the Flyers is 8th place at the end of the night, with a closed gap to the 4/5 spots:

1. FLA - 34 points*
2. COL - 35 points
3. NSH - 38 points (13 ROW)
4. CGY - 38 points (17 ROW)
5. CAR - 38 points (18 ROW)*
6. EDM - 39 points
7. TB - 40 points *
8. PHI - 41 points
9. NJD - 42 points*
10. BUF - 44 points*
11. PHX - 45 points (16 ROW)*
* = ROW winner tonight.
our goal end of season point total: 41 points!

lets go other teams!

Old
04-18-2013, 09:57 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

A top 10 pick in this draft is still fortuitous but come the end of the season and the lottery draw at the end of the month...it's not going to feel as good if we pick at 8 or lower. I'm really annoyed at these teams that are completely tanking in the last dozen or so games. I really hope the ping pong balls don't fall in their favor despite the odds in their favor. Maybe Flyers can pull a Chicago in that fateful draft where it was Kane and JVR and not much else....

Old
04-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
A top 10 pick in this draft is still fortuitous but come the end of the season and the lottery draw at the end of the month...it's not going to feel as good if we pick at 8 or lower. I'm really annoyed at these teams that are completely tanking in the last dozen or so games. I really hope the ping pong balls don't fall in their favor despite the odds in their favor. Maybe Flyers can pull a Chicago in that fateful draft where it was Kane and JVR and not much else....
I agree, but what can you do? Look at Jersey. I bet Kovi plays after this game. Let the chips fall where they may. We are going to get a good player with our 1st pick which is sweet.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Psuhockey

The top 8 of this draft are really nice but it isn't the worst thing for the Flyers to fall back. The next group of players are dominated by defensemen like Zardorv, Pulock, Ristolainen, and Morrissey. I think there will be less of a temptation to take a forward after those top 6 are gone and with defensemen, the one you get at 14 might be the best of the draft: see Erik Karlsson, who was 15th overall.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

As long as the devils and especially the oilers don't get a top 3 pick, I'm happy.

The oilers are a disgrace.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:18 PM
flybynite77

Nurse if he's there in the 5-9 range is a good fit for the Flyers and that's been discussed a lot, but I really like the Finnish d-man Rasmus Ristolainen if the Flyers end up in the 9-13 range and Nurse obviously isn't there. I think at worst he's your future 2nd pairing d-man and more than capable of being your one of the D-men on your 2 PP units.

I also think it's a good fit for the Flyers who need IMMEDIATE help since he could come over and play next year (assuming his contract situation allows for such?) and then he could be groomed by Kimmo for a year which is another big positive.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
Nurse if he's there in the 5-9 range is a good fit for the Flyers and that's been discussed a lot, but I really like the Finnish d-man Rasmus Ristolainen if the Flyers end up in the 9-13 range and Nurse obviously isn't there. I think at worst he's your future 2nd pairing d-man and more than capable of being your one of the D-men on your 2 PP units.

I also think it's a good fit for the Flyers who need IMMEDIATE help since he could come over and play next year (assuming his contract situation allows for such?) and then he could be groomed by Kimmo for a year which is another big positive.
From what I've read, he's the most NHL-ready defenseman in the draft after Jones. He's got good mobility and decent size (though he isn't overly physical), and one of the better wrist shots amongst the draft-eligible defensemen. He's also a RH shot.

Based on all that, I think I prefer him to Zadorov, Pulock, or Morrissey--but I know that at least Zadorov and Pulock have strong and vocal supporters on this board.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:22 PM
PayItForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Which teams are tanking, assuming that means intentionally trying to lose/not putting the best line up out there that they can? Or are you just talking about teams that are losing like Nashville and Carolina because they aren't good teams?

Old
04-18-2013, 12:41 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
Which teams are tanking, assuming that means intentionally trying to lose/not putting the best line up out there that they can? Or are you just talking about teams that are losing like Nashville and Carolina because they aren't good teams?
Yeah I don't think anyone is tanking in terms of losing on purpose. The teams that are losing ar ebad teams. The only team that is really surprising is the Devils ridiculous slide they are on. With the Flyers missing the playoffs looking pretty much inevitable, the only thing other than the draft pick I can hope for is that the Devils and Rangers miss the playoffs. Pittsburgh would be nice too, but it is too late for that.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah I don't think anyone is tanking in terms of losing on purpose. The teams that are losing ar ebad teams. The only team that is really surprising is the Devils ridiculous slide they are on. With the Flyers missing the playoffs looking pretty much inevitable, the only thing other than the draft pick I can hope for is that the Devils and Rangers miss the playoffs. Pittsburgh would be nice too, but it is too late for that.
Thank god Carolina moved their 1st last year instead of this year in the Staal trade.

No one expected them to be this bad, but can you imagine the Penguins with a top-3 pick this year?

Old
04-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Thank god Carolina moved their 1st last year instead of this year in the Staal trade.

No one expected them to be this bad, but can you imagine the Penguins with a top-3 pick this year?
I'd punch myself in the face.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:06 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
Yeah they are not good teams but in the last dozen or so games some of the losing streaks or winless streaks have seemed especially pronounced...just a perception. I don't necessarily think anybody is deliberately tanking but it is just amazing how all the league bottom feeders (bottom ten ) have sucked in tandem trying to outdo each other's suckitude. Flyers despite a truly decimated team have played over .500 hockey in the last 10 games ...go figure when most of the year they have played below .500. Terrible timing to play with integrity ...

Old
04-18-2013, 01:08 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Oh wow.....that would be too much to stomach.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:15 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Phoenix fan coming in peace. Would you consider trading your 1st for Gormley?

Old
04-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
No if we have a chance at Nurse much rather go for him.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:19 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
From what I've read, he's the most NHL-ready defenseman in the draft after Jones. He's got good mobility and decent size (though he isn't overly physical), and one of the better wrist shots amongst the draft-eligible defensemen. He's also a RH shot.

Based on all that, I think I prefer him to Zadorov, Pulock, or Morrissey--but I know that at least Zadorov and Pulock have strong and vocal supporters on this board.
Personally, I like Zadorov. I see a lot of him in London and right now, he's probably the best defenseman on the club. What I also like about him is how selfless he is. He came to London and he immediately embraced the shut down defense role while sacrificing his offensive game. What I find even more remarkable is that he's shown flashes of performing in an offensive role as he has the skills to be an offensive performer (his shot is off the chart good and he's got exceptionally soft hands and a great outlet pass).

I expect that when Zadorov gets returned to the OHL next season, he'll be given a more offensive role with the club and he'll probably be used exclusively as the point man to setup that big bomb of his.

I know I use this phrase a lot, but Zadorov is a fantastic talent. Might be the sleeper pick out of all the defensemen drafted this year.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Consider? Absolutely.

If Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse, and Nichushkin are off the board--I'd easily do that trade. I'd do it if Monahan was on the board and the others weren't as well--but others will disagree.

If Nurse is there, I doubt the Flyers do it. There's probably more wiggle room with some of the forwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Personally, I like Zadorov. I see a lot of him in London and right now, he's probably the best defenseman on the club. What I also like about him is how selfless he is. He came to London and he immediately embraced the shut down defense role while sacrificing his offensive game. What I find even more remarkable is that he's shown flashes of performing in an offensive role as he has the skills to be an offensive performer (his shot is off the chart good and he's got exceptionally soft hands and a great outlet pass).

I expect that when Zadorov gets returned to the OHL next season, he'll be given a more offensive role with the club and he'll probably be used exclusively as the point man to setup that big bomb of his.

I know I use this phrase a lot, but Zadorov is a fantastic talent. Might be the sleeper pick out of all the defensemen drafted this year.
How is his skating?

Old
04-18-2013, 01:44 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
How is his skating?
Zadorov is a fantastic skater. Probably the best skater of all the defensemen available in this year's draft and that's saying something. Very strong stride, next to impossible to knock over and is very fast. He's a big guy, but he moves like he's 180 pounds. Sick wheels.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

Zadorov is a nice talent but I would probably lean toward Ristolainen between those two. Zadorov probably has a higher ceiling but a lower floor. Ristolainen is right handed, played against men the last two years so would be ready sooner, and looks no worst than 2-3 guy. Zadorov could be a true #1 if his offense develops or could be just a shut down guy. Either would be great to have. I would rank the dmen Jones-Nurse-Ristolainen-Zadorov-Pulock-Morrisey. Would love to get Morin in the 2nd.

Last edited by Psuhockey: 04-18-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old
04-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Jack de la Hoya

I have a feeling that we'll be digging more deeply into this Zadorov v. Ristolainen discussion after April 29.

I do like that Zadorov is playing in London under Hunter, but I'm wary about his offensive upside. That said, the Flyers don't often pick this high, so there might be some value in taking a bigger risk.

The way BCF16 described Zadorov, it reminded me a bit of Bogosian--other than the handedness, of course.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Ya I have a feeling this debate will be talked about alot. Obviously I'm a Risto fan so I'd be on that side, but either player I'd be happy with. I do look at Risto as a safer bet. He is CONSISTENTLY good, playing against men. He was a leader as a 17 and then 18 yr old in the WJC20. While he might not be a offensive powerhouse, he has good playmaking skills and can move the puck well.

Zadarov I see as a solid defensive presence with probably a higher upside if he can some offense going. That being said, I know some of his fans see him have good offensive upside but from what I read of reports, I dont think some scouts agree. Obivously it could change though. It's good to see him move up as the year goes on. For some reason, Zadorov reminds me alot of Coburn.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Prongo
Beer

Zadarov mentioned......... incoming Krishna post about how wonderful he is!

Old
04-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Psuhockey

For any one in the know, why has Pulock been dropping with scouts? It seems like him, Ristolainen a little and Hagg, which were the top dmen after Jones in the preseason, have dropped. Hagg I thought had a good World Juniors too. It it too much exposure or the fancy new guys syndrome with Nurse and Zadorov?

Old
04-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
For any one in the know, why has Pulock been dropping with scouts? It seems like him, Ristolainen a little and Hagg, which were the top dmen after Jones in the preseason, have dropped. Hagg I thought had a good World Juniors too. It it too much exposure or the fancy new guys syndrome with Nurse and Zadorov?
It has to do with them leveling out and others catching fire IMHO. Pulock got off to an amazing start, but has cooled down recently. The others have done the opposite. Nurse/Zads have started to play much better recently(not that they were playing poorly in the beginning). I don't think you can go wrong getting any of those guys, but I have my preferences haha. I like Pulock(especially what I saw early in the year) and Nurse. Jones of course would be #1 but we won't get him barring a miracle.

I would go

Jones
Nurse
Zad/Pulock
Rist
Hagg(Homer likes him a lot supposedly)

Closed Thread