HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2013, 09:26 AM
  #751
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,130
vCash: 500
Big Night for Draft Positioning:
Quote:
FLA v. NYR
TB v. MTL
NJD v. PHI
CAR v. WPG
PHX v. STL
VAN v. DAL
Best case scenario for the Flyers is 8th place at the end of the night, with a closed gap to the 4/5 spots:

1. FLA - 34 points*
2. COL - 35 points
3. NSH - 38 points (13 ROW)
4. CGY - 38 points (17 ROW)
5. CAR - 38 points (18 ROW)*
6. EDM - 39 points
7. TB - 40 points *
8. PHI - 41 points
9. NJD - 42 points*
10. BUF - 44 points*
11. PHX - 45 points (16 ROW)*
...
* = ROW winner tonight.

Jack de la Hoya is online now  
Old
04-18-2013, 09:28 AM
  #752
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Big Night for Draft Positioning:

Best case scenario for the Flyers is 8th place at the end of the night, with a closed gap to the 4/5 spots:

1. FLA - 34 points*
2. COL - 35 points
3. NSH - 38 points (13 ROW)
4. CGY - 38 points (17 ROW)
5. CAR - 38 points (18 ROW)*
6. EDM - 39 points
7. TB - 40 points *
8. PHI - 41 points
9. NJD - 42 points*
10. BUF - 44 points*
11. PHX - 45 points (16 ROW)*
...
* = ROW winner tonight.
our goal end of season point total: 41 points!

lets go other teams!

orange is better is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 09:57 AM
  #753
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,363
vCash: 500
A top 10 pick in this draft is still fortuitous but come the end of the season and the lottery draw at the end of the month...it's not going to feel as good if we pick at 8 or lower. I'm really annoyed at these teams that are completely tanking in the last dozen or so games. I really hope the ping pong balls don't fall in their favor despite the odds in their favor. Maybe Flyers can pull a Chicago in that fateful draft where it was Kane and JVR and not much else....

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 11:45 AM
  #754
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
A top 10 pick in this draft is still fortuitous but come the end of the season and the lottery draw at the end of the month...it's not going to feel as good if we pick at 8 or lower. I'm really annoyed at these teams that are completely tanking in the last dozen or so games. I really hope the ping pong balls don't fall in their favor despite the odds in their favor. Maybe Flyers can pull a Chicago in that fateful draft where it was Kane and JVR and not much else....
I agree, but what can you do? Look at Jersey. I bet Kovi plays after this game. Let the chips fall where they may. We are going to get a good player with our 1st pick which is sweet.

Hockeypete49 is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 11:56 AM
  #755
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,855
vCash: 500
The top 8 of this draft are really nice but it isn't the worst thing for the Flyers to fall back. The next group of players are dominated by defensemen like Zardorv, Pulock, Ristolainen, and Morrissey. I think there will be less of a temptation to take a forward after those top 6 are gone and with defensemen, the one you get at 14 might be the best of the draft: see Erik Karlsson, who was 15th overall.

Psuhockey is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 12:02 PM
  #756
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,877
vCash: 500
As long as the devils and especially the oilers don't get a top 3 pick, I'm happy.

The oilers are a disgrace.

Sniped is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 12:18 PM
  #757
flybynite77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
Nurse if he's there in the 5-9 range is a good fit for the Flyers and that's been discussed a lot, but I really like the Finnish d-man Rasmus Ristolainen if the Flyers end up in the 9-13 range and Nurse obviously isn't there. I think at worst he's your future 2nd pairing d-man and more than capable of being your one of the D-men on your 2 PP units.

I also think it's a good fit for the Flyers who need IMMEDIATE help since he could come over and play next year (assuming his contract situation allows for such?) and then he could be groomed by Kimmo for a year which is another big positive.

flybynite77 is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 12:22 PM
  #758
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
Nurse if he's there in the 5-9 range is a good fit for the Flyers and that's been discussed a lot, but I really like the Finnish d-man Rasmus Ristolainen if the Flyers end up in the 9-13 range and Nurse obviously isn't there. I think at worst he's your future 2nd pairing d-man and more than capable of being your one of the D-men on your 2 PP units.

I also think it's a good fit for the Flyers who need IMMEDIATE help since he could come over and play next year (assuming his contract situation allows for such?) and then he could be groomed by Kimmo for a year which is another big positive.
From what I've read, he's the most NHL-ready defenseman in the draft after Jones. He's got good mobility and decent size (though he isn't overly physical), and one of the better wrist shots amongst the draft-eligible defensemen. He's also a RH shot.

Based on all that, I think I prefer him to Zadorov, Pulock, or Morrissey--but I know that at least Zadorov and Pulock have strong and vocal supporters on this board.

Jack de la Hoya is online now  
Old
04-18-2013, 12:22 PM
  #759
PayItForward
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
A top 10 pick in this draft is still fortuitous but come the end of the season and the lottery draw at the end of the month...it's not going to feel as good if we pick at 8 or lower. I'm really annoyed at these teams that are completely tanking in the last dozen or so games. I really hope the ping pong balls don't fall in their favor despite the odds in their favor. Maybe Flyers can pull a Chicago in that fateful draft where it was Kane and JVR and not much else....
Which teams are tanking, assuming that means intentionally trying to lose/not putting the best line up out there that they can? Or are you just talking about teams that are losing like Nashville and Carolina because they aren't good teams?

PayItForward is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 12:41 PM
  #760
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,366
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
Which teams are tanking, assuming that means intentionally trying to lose/not putting the best line up out there that they can? Or are you just talking about teams that are losing like Nashville and Carolina because they aren't good teams?
Yeah I don't think anyone is tanking in terms of losing on purpose. The teams that are losing ar ebad teams. The only team that is really surprising is the Devils ridiculous slide they are on. With the Flyers missing the playoffs looking pretty much inevitable, the only thing other than the draft pick I can hope for is that the Devils and Rangers miss the playoffs. Pittsburgh would be nice too, but it is too late for that.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 12:45 PM
  #761
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah I don't think anyone is tanking in terms of losing on purpose. The teams that are losing ar ebad teams. The only team that is really surprising is the Devils ridiculous slide they are on. With the Flyers missing the playoffs looking pretty much inevitable, the only thing other than the draft pick I can hope for is that the Devils and Rangers miss the playoffs. Pittsburgh would be nice too, but it is too late for that.
Thank god Carolina moved their 1st last year instead of this year in the Staal trade.

No one expected them to be this bad, but can you imagine the Penguins with a top-3 pick this year?

Jack de la Hoya is online now  
Old
04-18-2013, 12:47 PM
  #762
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Thank god Carolina moved their 1st last year instead of this year in the Staal trade.

No one expected them to be this bad, but can you imagine the Penguins with a top-3 pick this year?
I'd punch myself in the face.

Protest is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 01:06 PM
  #763
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
Which teams are tanking, assuming that means intentionally trying to lose/not putting the best line up out there that they can? Or are you just talking about teams that are losing like Nashville and Carolina because they aren't good teams?
Yeah they are not good teams but in the last dozen or so games some of the losing streaks or winless streaks have seemed especially pronounced...just a perception. I don't necessarily think anybody is deliberately tanking but it is just amazing how all the league bottom feeders (bottom ten ) have sucked in tandem trying to outdo each other's suckitude. Flyers despite a truly decimated team have played over .500 hockey in the last 10 games ...go figure when most of the year they have played below .500. Terrible timing to play with integrity ...

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 01:08 PM
  #764
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Thank god Carolina moved their 1st last year instead of this year in the Staal trade.

No one expected them to be this bad, but can you imagine the Penguins with a top-3 pick this year?
Oh wow.....that would be too much to stomach.

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 01:15 PM
  #765
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,588
vCash: 500
Phoenix fan coming in peace. Would you consider trading your 1st for Gormley?

IPreferPi is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 01:18 PM
  #766
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Phoenix fan coming in peace. Would you consider trading your 1st for Gormley?
No if we have a chance at Nurse much rather go for him.

Prongo is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 01:19 PM
  #767
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
From what I've read, he's the most NHL-ready defenseman in the draft after Jones. He's got good mobility and decent size (though he isn't overly physical), and one of the better wrist shots amongst the draft-eligible defensemen. He's also a RH shot.

Based on all that, I think I prefer him to Zadorov, Pulock, or Morrissey--but I know that at least Zadorov and Pulock have strong and vocal supporters on this board.
Personally, I like Zadorov. I see a lot of him in London and right now, he's probably the best defenseman on the club. What I also like about him is how selfless he is. He came to London and he immediately embraced the shut down defense role while sacrificing his offensive game. What I find even more remarkable is that he's shown flashes of performing in an offensive role as he has the skills to be an offensive performer (his shot is off the chart good and he's got exceptionally soft hands and a great outlet pass).

I expect that when Zadorov gets returned to the OHL next season, he'll be given a more offensive role with the club and he'll probably be used exclusively as the point man to setup that big bomb of his.

I know I use this phrase a lot, but Zadorov is a fantastic talent. Might be the sleeper pick out of all the defensemen drafted this year.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 01:28 PM
  #768
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Phoenix fan coming in peace. Would you consider trading your 1st for Gormley?
Consider? Absolutely.

If Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse, and Nichushkin are off the board--I'd easily do that trade. I'd do it if Monahan was on the board and the others weren't as well--but others will disagree.

If Nurse is there, I doubt the Flyers do it. There's probably more wiggle room with some of the forwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Personally, I like Zadorov. I see a lot of him in London and right now, he's probably the best defenseman on the club. What I also like about him is how selfless he is. He came to London and he immediately embraced the shut down defense role while sacrificing his offensive game. What I find even more remarkable is that he's shown flashes of performing in an offensive role as he has the skills to be an offensive performer (his shot is off the chart good and he's got exceptionally soft hands and a great outlet pass).

I expect that when Zadorov gets returned to the OHL next season, he'll be given a more offensive role with the club and he'll probably be used exclusively as the point man to setup that big bomb of his.

I know I use this phrase a lot, but Zadorov is a fantastic talent. Might be the sleeper pick out of all the defensemen drafted this year.
How is his skating?

Jack de la Hoya is online now  
Old
04-18-2013, 01:44 PM
  #769
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
How is his skating?
Zadorov is a fantastic skater. Probably the best skater of all the defensemen available in this year's draft and that's saying something. Very strong stride, next to impossible to knock over and is very fast. He's a big guy, but he moves like he's 180 pounds. Sick wheels.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 02:00 PM
  #770
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Personally, I like Zadorov. I see a lot of him in London and right now, he's probably the best defenseman on the club. What I also like about him is how selfless he is. He came to London and he immediately embraced the shut down defense role while sacrificing his offensive game. What I find even more remarkable is that he's shown flashes of performing in an offensive role as he has the skills to be an offensive performer (his shot is off the chart good and he's got exceptionally soft hands and a great outlet pass).

I expect that when Zadorov gets returned to the OHL next season, he'll be given a more offensive role with the club and he'll probably be used exclusively as the point man to setup that big bomb of his.

I know I use this phrase a lot, but Zadorov is a fantastic talent. Might be the sleeper pick out of all the defensemen drafted this year.
Zadorov is a nice talent but I would probably lean toward Ristolainen between those two. Zadorov probably has a higher ceiling but a lower floor. Ristolainen is right handed, played against men the last two years so would be ready sooner, and looks no worst than 2-3 guy. Zadorov could be a true #1 if his offense develops or could be just a shut down guy. Either would be great to have. I would rank the dmen Jones-Nurse-Ristolainen-Zadorov-Pulock-Morrisey. Would love to get Morin in the 2nd.


Last edited by Psuhockey: 04-18-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Psuhockey is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 02:04 PM
  #771
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,130
vCash: 500
I have a feeling that we'll be digging more deeply into this Zadorov v. Ristolainen discussion after April 29.

I do like that Zadorov is playing in London under Hunter, but I'm wary about his offensive upside. That said, the Flyers don't often pick this high, so there might be some value in taking a bigger risk.

The way BCF16 described Zadorov, it reminded me a bit of Bogosian--other than the handedness, of course.

Jack de la Hoya is online now  
Old
04-18-2013, 02:09 PM
  #772
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,353
vCash: 500
Ya I have a feeling this debate will be talked about alot. Obviously I'm a Risto fan so I'd be on that side, but either player I'd be happy with. I do look at Risto as a safer bet. He is CONSISTENTLY good, playing against men. He was a leader as a 17 and then 18 yr old in the WJC20. While he might not be a offensive powerhouse, he has good playmaking skills and can move the puck well.

Zadarov I see as a solid defensive presence with probably a higher upside if he can some offense going. That being said, I know some of his fans see him have good offensive upside but from what I read of reports, I dont think some scouts agree. Obivously it could change though. It's good to see him move up as the year goes on. For some reason, Zadorov reminds me alot of Coburn.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 02:16 PM
  #773
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Zadarov mentioned......... incoming Krishna post about how wonderful he is!

Prongo is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 02:21 PM
  #774
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,855
vCash: 500
For any one in the know, why has Pulock been dropping with scouts? It seems like him, Ristolainen a little and Hagg, which were the top dmen after Jones in the preseason, have dropped. Hagg I thought had a good World Juniors too. It it too much exposure or the fancy new guys syndrome with Nurse and Zadorov?

Psuhockey is offline  
Old
04-18-2013, 02:27 PM
  #775
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
For any one in the know, why has Pulock been dropping with scouts? It seems like him, Ristolainen a little and Hagg, which were the top dmen after Jones in the preseason, have dropped. Hagg I thought had a good World Juniors too. It it too much exposure or the fancy new guys syndrome with Nurse and Zadorov?
It has to do with them leveling out and others catching fire IMHO. Pulock got off to an amazing start, but has cooled down recently. The others have done the opposite. Nurse/Zads have started to play much better recently(not that they were playing poorly in the beginning). I don't think you can go wrong getting any of those guys, but I have my preferences haha. I like Pulock(especially what I saw early in the year) and Nurse. Jones of course would be #1 but we won't get him barring a miracle.

I would go

Jones
Nurse
Zad/Pulock
Rist
Hagg(Homer likes him a lot supposedly)

Prongo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.